With the final proposal, are the knicks better with or without Melo? Make your call

Are we better with melo? or without?

• Better fa sho!

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Nah, Raygov Wilsonari > Melo

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • We get out of the second round in the playoffs with melo

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo waiting to the summer is not an option. Stop repeating this as if the Knicks somehow think it is an option but rather trade form him. Melo will go to NJ if we fail to get him or he will sign with Denver. There is too much on the table with the looming CBA for him to gamble in FA. Further he wants to end all the media nonsense and get back to playing ball and has no desire to keep the speculation and frenzy going for another 6 months.

And this is why I dislike Melo. Max guys are still going to be paid handsomely. The league is not going to screw over the players that are the face of the NBA. There are other free agents coming out this year. Yet you don't hear any of them complaining. Chandler, Z-Bo, Crawford, Tyson Chandler. All these guys are looking at potentially 30-50% cuts in their salary. The middle guys are the ones that stand to lose the most. Yet we only hear Melo complaining.

Melo has made over $100 mil in his career. He will be fine. And with the endorsements in NY, he can make up much of the difference.

He said he would be willing to take a pay cut to win a championship. He said he doesn't want to go to a team that has to gut it's roster to get him. This was all bullsh*t.

I don't think we're ever going to win a championship with a player like that. He's quite well known here in CO for not listenting to Coach Karl because he just wants to get his points. Now he's being selfish again. Give him that money. Forget about bringing a championship to NY. Just give him that money.

Everybody will love him this year and will be dazzled by him scoring a lot of points. But watch how quickly the NY media turns on him next year. It will be interesting to open up these threads in a year or two. Marbury all over again?

Toons

is the Bo$$
You might be right on Balkman.. Unfortunately his lack of a 3pt shot will prevent him from playing.. or even a consistent mid for that matter..He's a spark plug on defense tho

doesnt turiaf play? he doesnt have a 3 pt shot.....or any shot as a matter of fact

STAT1

Starter
If Billups is coming to NY with the intention of playing & not asking for an immediate buyout, then this trade makes the Knicks infinitely better.

Billups better not beef about coming to NY. He can still ball, better than Ray, it's all on him. By himself Melo is not worth all these guys, Denver got a very good deal.

This.

Imo Billups is the key whether this trade will be a good one or not. We all know that Melo can ball, but you still need a solid PG and a solid bench /legit big man to have success in this league.

I'm not a big Felton fan, but what I have seen from Billups this season ain't hyping me up about him coming to NYC....and there is talk about him not wanting to get traded...he might turn into a huge bust here.

I don't have a good feeling about this trade. I want Melo no doubt, but I think our offer is too much. I'd like to keep either Chandler or Felton or at least involve Telfair or Ridnour in that Minnesota deal to get another PG in case Billups flops.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
And this is why I dislike Melo. Max guys are still going to be paid handsomely. The league is not going to screw over the players that are the face of the NBA. There are other free agents coming out this year. Yet you don't hear any of them complaining. Chandler, Z-Bo, Crawford, Tyson Chandler. All these guys are looking at potentially 30-50% cuts in their salary. The middle guys are the ones that stand to lose the most. Yet we only hear Melo complaining.

Melo has made over $100 mil in his career. He will be fine. And with the endorsements in NY, he can make up much of the difference.

He said he would be willing to take a pay cut to win a championship. He said he doesn't want to go to a team that has to gut it's roster to get him. This was all bullsh*t.

I don't think we're ever going to win a championship with a player like that. He's quite well known here in CO for not listenting to Coach Karl because he just wants to get his points. Now he's being selfish again. Give him that money. Forget about bringing a championship to NY. Just give him that money.

Everybody will love him this year and will be dazzled by him scoring a lot of points. But watch how quickly the NY media turns on him next year. It will be interesting to open up these threads in a year or two. Marbury all over again?

Jeez. Enough with the judging of a dude for not wanting to gamble $15+ mil with no guarantees about the CBA. What if their are franchise tags? What if he tears his patella riding out the season in Denver? There are many things that could happen to ether:

a. make him earn much less than otherwise would happen by extending.

b. have him end up on another team than Knicks

I don't understand how anyone can fault the guy for wanting to come to the team you root for. I don't understand how you can fault him for not wanting to gamble with more money then probably every poster on this site will ever make combined. I don't see how you can fault a guy for wanting to make his move now and not endure many more months of uncertainty, speculation and media frenzy. That shit gets tiring real quick.

P.S. Comparing Melo and Marbury is a few steps too far. Melo has shown he can be a facilitator in this offense as a member of Team USA. He has many more facets to his game then you give him credit for including rebounding, something we really need.

la2ny

Starter
Jeez. Enough with the judging of a dude for not wanting to gamble $15+ mil with no guarantees about the CBA. What if their are franchise tags? What if he tears his patella riding out the season in Denver? There are many things that could happen to ether:

a. make him earn much less than otherwise would happen by extending.

b. have him end up on another team than Knicks

I don't understand how anyone can fault the guy for wanting to come to the team you root for. I don't understand how you can fault him for not wanting to gamble with more money then probably every poster on this site will ever make combined. I don't see how you can fault a guy for wanting to make his move now and not endure many more months of uncertainty, speculation and media frenzy. That shit gets tiring real quick.

P.S. Comparing Melo and Marbury is a few steps too far. Melo has shown he can be a facilitator in this offense as a member of Team USA. He has many more facets to his game then you give him credit for including rebounding, something we really need.
:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:
couldn't have said it better myself

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Regrets

I think we are going to regret this trade in a couple of years
-- particularly if Mozgov is part of it.

If Mozgov and Gallinari come to the Nets via the back door, we will have been played again.

Melo is a great offensive player, genuinely a super star, but Denver has had him for quite awhile with a very good team around him and they were not elite.

We will have two of the best players in the NBA in Melo and Amar'e, but I fear we will not have much of a "team."

TakMan

Rotation player
105+ 25 - (v) may still equal loss

By focussing their entire efforts on Anthony, the Knicks are missing out on a true opportunity to achieve something good (long and short-term) Yet another offensive player is the last option the Knicks need to be examining. Why would one of the NBA's highest scoring teams risk dismantling a decent team full of potential for a couple of extra points per game. The main element that's keeping the Knicks from being a top team is defence (or lack of). If the Knicks don't sort that out, by bringing in a strong centre and a decent defensive guard (though it would be interesting to see if Azabuke would do the trick) then all the Anthony's in the world will not make the slightest bit of difference.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

If Mozgov and Gallinari come to the Nets via the back door, we will have been played again.

Melo is a great offensive player, genuinely a super star, but Denver has had him for quite awhile with a very good team around him and they were not elite.

We will have two of the best players in the NBA in Melo and Amar'e, but I fear we will not have much of a "team."

Yeah but Melo was the only star in Denver. This is a two star league Old timer.

smokes

Huge Member

Depends what you call elite. They were a strong playoff team who generally got beaten by experience over a 7 game series.

I think the Nuggets of the last few years in the East would be finalists every year.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Better? Maybe, but this disgusts me. Denver shouldn't be getting this much. I mainly don't like this because we're giving up Felton. With Billups' age and maybe not even staying with us, add on we can't rely on getting a superstar PG and Felton wanting to come back if we trade him. I rather trade for Nash than do this. Melo isn't even the last option there is. This is ridiculous. So many people are superstar hungry. It's sad.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yeah but Melo was the only star in Denver. This is a two star league Old timer.
This is debatable. People say Iverson and Melo weren't as good as Billups and Melo, but people don't realize Denver won 55 games or something with Iverson and they didn't have all the players healthy that season, and I don't think they had Birdman either who was the second in the league in blocking shots in 2008-2009. What I'm saying is, Melo did have another superstar, despite his age who still had a great season, and if we don't have Mozgov we might be going through the same crap they did without another center (in this case, at least the Nuggets had one center in Camby).

and we don't have Mozgov we might be going through the same crap they did.
Mozgov is so overrated,He commits stupid fouls,can't post up,he's not strong,and we can replace him with Barron.We're not going to be able to afford Chandler after this season anyways.Billups is better than Felton and he will most likely play for us.We're basically trading Gallo and Moz for Melo,Balkman and Williams.Do it!thats not too steep.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Mozgov is so overrated,He commits stupid fouls,can't post up,he's not strong,and we can replace him with Barron.We're not going to be able to afford Chandler after this season anyways.Billups is better than Felton and he will most likely play for us.We're basically trading Gallo and Moz for Melo,Balkman and Williams.Do it!thats not too steep.
First of all, many of us realize he's not great now, but the things he does wrong on the court isn't so drastically bad that we shouldn't keep him. He just needs to reduce the fouls and catch the ball more often. That could be worked on over the summer and more playing time this season. As I said, Denver at LEAST had one center in Camby that season, you're willing to trade Mozgov in the hopes Barron could duplicate what he did with us last season?

And you don't KNOW Billups would come back. I'm willing to bet if we don't get a superstar PG and haven't traded Felton, he'd come back. Felton didn't say anything about wanting to work in Denver's FO some day.

It's like people don't even remember Felton's play the first two months. The guy needs a back-up. I don't think he sat out one game this season.