View Poll Results: Are we better with melo? or without?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better fa sho!

18 66.67%
  • Nah, Raygov Wilsonari > Melo

5 18.52%
  • We get out of the second round in the playoffs with melo

4 14.81%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: With the final proposal, are the knicks better with or without Melo? Make your call

Superstar

Default Regrets

I think we are going to regret this trade in a couple of years
    -- particularly if Mozgov is part of it.

If Mozgov and Gallinari come to the Nets via the back door, we will have been played again.

Melo is a great offensive player, genuinely a super star, but Denver has had him for quite awhile with a very good team around him and they were not elite.

We will have two of the best players in the NBA in Melo and Amar'e, but I fear we will not have much of a "team."

Superstar

Default 105+ 25 - (v) may still equal loss

By focussing their entire efforts on Anthony, the Knicks are missing out on a true opportunity to achieve something good (long and short-term) Yet another offensive player is the last option the Knicks need to be examining. Why would one of the NBA's highest scoring teams risk dismantling a decent team full of potential for a couple of extra points per game. The main element that's keeping the Knicks from being a top team is defence (or lack of). If the Knicks don't sort that out, by bringing in a strong centre and a decent defensive guard (though it would be interesting to see if Azabuke would do the trick) then all the Anthony's in the world will not make the slightest bit of difference.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer

If Mozgov and Gallinari come to the Nets via the back door, we will have been played again.

Melo is a great offensive player, genuinely a super star, but Denver has had him for quite awhile with a very good team around him and they were not elite.

We will have two of the best players in the NBA in Melo and Amar'e, but I fear we will not have much of a "team."
    Yeah but Melo was the only star in Denver. This is a two star league Old timer.

this sounds like bs to me... walsh would resign be signing off on this

Originally Posted by Oldtimer

Depends what you call elite. They were a strong playoff team who generally got beaten by experience over a 7 game series.

I think the Nuggets of the last few years in the East would be finalists every year.

Veteran

Originally Posted by smokes
    Depends what you call elite. They were a strong playoff team who generally got beaten by experience over a 7 game series.

I think the Nuggets of the last few years in the East would be finalists every year.
    No need to trade mozgov

Better? Maybe, but this disgusts me. Denver shouldn't be getting this much. I mainly don't like this because we're giving up Felton. With Billups' age and maybe not even staying with us, add on we can't rely on getting a superstar PG and Felton wanting to come back if we trade him. I rather trade for Nash than do this. Melo isn't even the last option there is. This is ridiculous. So many people are superstar hungry. It's sad.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Yeah but Melo was the only star in Denver. This is a two star league Old timer.
    This is debatable. People say Iverson and Melo weren't as good as Billups and Melo, but people don't realize Denver won 55 games or something with Iverson and they didn't have all the players healthy that season, and I don't think they had Birdman either who was the second in the league in blocking shots in 2008-2009. What I'm saying is, Melo did have another superstar, despite his age who still had a great season, and if we don't have Mozgov we might be going through the same crap they did without another center (in this case, at least the Nuggets had one center in Camby).

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    and we don't have Mozgov we might be going through the same crap they did.
    Mozgov is so overrated,He commits stupid fouls,can't post up,he's not strong,and we can replace him with Barron.We're not going to be able to afford Chandler after this season anyways.Billups is better than Felton and he will most likely play for us.We're basically trading Gallo and Moz for Melo,Balkman and Williams.Do it!thats not too steep.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Mozgov is so overrated,He commits stupid fouls,can't post up,he's not strong,and we can replace him with Barron.We're not going to be able to afford Chandler after this season anyways.Billups is better than Felton and he will most likely play for us.We're basically trading Gallo and Moz for Melo,Balkman and Williams.Do it!thats not too steep.
    First of all, many of us realize he's not great now, but the things he does wrong on the court isn't so drastically bad that we shouldn't keep him. He just needs to reduce the fouls and catch the ball more often. That could be worked on over the summer and more playing time this season. As I said, Denver at LEAST had one center in Camby that season, you're willing to trade Mozgov in the hopes Barron could duplicate what he did with us last season?

And you don't KNOW Billups would come back. I'm willing to bet if we don't get a superstar PG and haven't traded Felton, he'd come back. Felton didn't say anything about wanting to work in Denver's FO some day.

It's like people don't even remember Felton's play the first two months. The guy needs a back-up. I don't think he sat out one game this season.

The Knicks have never had 2 players on the level of Amare & Melo playing together since I've been a fan of this team. I'm curious to see how it will play out. I'm also very curious to see what lies ahead in terms of CP3 or Deron possibly forcing their way to the Knicks, depending of course on the new CBA provisions. All I know is a STAT-Melo-Billups 1-2-3 punch is a nightmare matchup for any team to have to match up with, I don't care what team you are. It will be fun to watch the team develop around our 2 superstars & return to being a legitimate contending team & not just a wannabe like we are now.

Veteran

We've pretty much come too far to not do this deal. Den and the Nets are twin stuffing us, Den mad Melo wants us, Nets hatin cuz they ain't us.

Stat amd Melo on that frontline is an issue for any team. We are still keeping Fields, and Chauncey is a better shooter than Felton in his sleep. Our bench is pretty much the same, minus an inconsistent Chandler. We get Barron, we could be a dangerous team come playoff time.

you're willing to trade Mozgov in the hopes Barron could duplicate what he did with us last season?
    I never said i hope he plays like he did last season but he can do everything Mozgov can do.There both 7 footers and Barron has been wanting to sign with us for a while now,he just needs a roster spot.

Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    We've pretty much come too far to not do this deal. Den and the Nets are twin stuffing us, Den mad Melo wants us, Nets hatin cuz they ain't us.

Stat amd Melo on that frontline is an issue for any team. We are still keeping Fields, and Chauncey is a better shooter than Felton in his sleep. Our bench is pretty much the same, minus an inconsistent Chandler. We get Barron, we could be a dangerous team come playoff time.
    Agreed 100%

First of all, many of us realize he's not great now, but the things he does wrong on the court isn't so drastically bad that we shouldn't keep him. As I said, Denver at LEAST had one center in Camby that season, you're willing to trade Mozgov in the hopes Barron could duplicate what he did with us last season?
    It won't be hard for Earl Barron to replicate the 4 pts 3 rebounds in 14 minutes a night production that Mozgov is giving us this year. Those numbers are all pretty much in line with Barron's career averages. I doubt he'll be able to replicate the 12 pts & 11 rebounds a game number he produced for us in 7 games last year but it was impressive nonetheless that he was able to grab that many boards sharing the frontcourt with a top rebounder like David Lee on some nights. Barron is more seasoned & more comfortable in this system than Mozgov is as well, plus his midrange J is more consistent. He's not going to have the same upside potential that Mozgov brings but as a stopgap solution he's serviceable enough.

Plus we have Turiaf as another big body upfront anyway, & if worse comes to worse & we need to add a C desperately I'm pretty sure there are guys we can bring in on 10 day contracts to audition for minutes over the course of the 2nd half of the season. This summer the Knicks can focus on drafting another C with their 1st round pick, or signing one in free agency like they did with Mozgov last summer from the Euro Leagues or NBDL. Losing Timo is not going to handicap our franchise nearly as much as people think it will.