With the final proposal, are the knicks better with or without Melo? Make your call

Are we better with melo? or without?

• Better fa sho!

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Nah, Raygov Wilsonari > Melo

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • We get out of the second round in the playoffs with melo

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Miami has a hard enough time winning games as it is. Last week against the Pacers they built a 24-point lead, and I was wondering, since the Pacers gave them tough games and even won against them once, if they'd come back, and they took the lead in the third quarter. They didn't win, but it shows not to count on three superstars and minimum salary players.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Make the trade happen, I could care less for Felton, Gallinari, Chandler, Mozgov. I want a championship and remember that we will be competing with Miami for years to come. If we stand pat can anybody in this forum say that we can beat Miami with just Amare? I don't think so! If we don't make the deal it will be one the decisions that Knicks fans will forever regret.

I agree I want a championship too, but I think bottom line this year which is my focus without getting carried away I'm really worried about how we can compete if our bigs get into foul trouble and how paper thin we are. I love Landry and that is such fantastic news he would stay.

I do have my doubts about the PG spot, but Billups is a vet and can run a team. Melo does make us a better scoring team, but that really wasn't our issue in the first place and we now we lose height and athletic ability. I would like to see what other pieces the Nuggets would throw in, but I have a really hard time seeing us improving a whole lot with this team. I think were going to stay about the same maybe move up a spot in the Eastern conference. We also lose draft picks and with that the chance at getting younger and more athletic.

We have another star who can on any given night change a game, but to win championships it's all about the role players and the other pieces in the starting lineup. I love Melo, Stat, and Landry, but we are missing a key spot man in the PG as I think Billups will do well for us this year, but he is old. We can't think he can run and gun in this system for a long time.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself as we don't even have Melo, but these are my thoughts and I don't disagree with anyone about this having to be done or the kind of attention this will attract from other stars. Still we are giving up good young talent that we won't be able to replace for a couple seasons due to us having no draft picks and it all depends on what kind of moves we can make next off season as well.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Miami has a hard enough time winning games as it is. Last week against the Pacers they built a 24-point lead, and I was wondering, since the Pacers gave them tough games and even won against them once, if they'd come back, and they took the lead in the third quarter. They didn't win, but it shows not to count on three superstars and minimum salary players.

I feel you. I look at the Lakers and then I look at the Heat and Celts. I mean yes the stars on the Heat are out of this world crazy good. Still nothing makes more of a difference then a well rounded squad and I think you can see that by the Lakers and their one star. Not only that, but they have depth in many positions. Vets and young guys who are so athletic.

WrongIslander

Rotation player

I don't think it shows that at all, I think it shows they simply don't have the right personnel and we all saw it coming from day one.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e

That's as good a 4 as you'll find in the NBA, now add a solid C and have the back up players we do (without Gallo, Chandler or even Moz) and we're in a much stronger position.

We're one player away from having arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA with this trade and people want to talk to me about Mozgov? I don't want to lose the dude but come on!

skisloper

Starter
I don't think it shows that at all, I think it shows they simply don't have the right personnel and we all saw it coming from day one.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e

That's as good a 4 as you'll find in the NBA, now add a solid C and have the back up players we do (without Gallo, Chandler or even Moz) and we're in a much stronger position.

We're one player away from having arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA with this trade and people want to talk to me about Mozgov? I don't want to lose the dude but come on!

I love your enthusiam but I do not agree with you.
Billups is no longer on the level of a Rose, Paul, Rondo, Williams, Wall and others.
Fields is not one of the top 10 shooting guards in the league.

U need to Mozgov....we need size...he is not our answer but he is the biggest dude we got...and maybe with Guys like Billups and Melo now helping the young guys like Amare does he will just get better

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e

Hey, that'd be one heck of a starting 4, and Fields I feel might be an All-Star one day because of how consistent he is in his rookie season, but we need some defense too. As I said, Billups might go after next season. You don't know he'll fall in love with the Knicks/New York. He might want to go with Detroit before wanting to come back here. At this point he might just want to compete and improve the players around him on the team he plans on being involved with in the FO.

I forgot about Turiaf because of his injuries, so yes, we'd still have him, but his injuries are a concern.

Again, Felton needs a back-up PG. He needs rest. Yes, Billups is better, but Felton was doing a great job before maybe the minutes caught up to him. Playing that much is a serious issue. Not many players have played that much and still played at a high level. A bench is important.

Look, maybe everything would turn out amazing with this trade, but until it happens, I don't see how it's that appealing.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I think we are going to regret this trade in a couple of years
-- particularly if Mozgov is part of it.

If Mozgov and Gallinari come to the Nets via the back door, we will have been played again.

Melo is a great offensive player, genuinely a super star, but Denver has had him for quite awhile with a very good team around him and they were not elite.

We will have two of the best players in the NBA in Melo and Amar'e, but I fear we will not have much of a "team."

As usual, I am in complete agreement with you, Oldtimer.

I don't know how many times last year we had to post about how imperitive it was to trade Jeffries because we didn't have the cap space to sign two max's. It wasn't until we were tring to trade Jeffries that everybody started listening.

It's the same thing here. Trading for Melo will make it virtually impossible to build a solid team that can contend for a championship. The cap space and the assets will not be available.

Sure, we'll win a few more games, and everybody will be dazzled when Melo scores 45 points. But in the end, we will come up short because we couldn't get CP3/DWill or have a strong supporting cast and bench.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I love your enthusiam but I do not agree with you.
Billups is no longer on the level of a Rose, Paul, Rondo, Williams, Wall and others.
Fields is not one of the top 10 shooting guards in the league.

U need to Mozgov....we need size...he is not our answer but he is the biggest dude we got...and maybe with Guys like Billups and Melo now helping the young guys like Amare does he will just get better

Billups is far better than Rondo.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Right now if You could have Billups for 2 years or Rondo u would take Billups ?

I just do not agree with that...But I hope u are right
Yes, I would. I don't like giving up Mozgov, especially Felton, but if the same trade went down and I had to choose Billups or Rondo for this season and next, definitely Billups. I don't take away what Rondo has done, he does fit the Celtics team, Billups is better period. Felton is probably better too, maybe far better. Rondo has inflated stats, not just because of the superstars around him, but because he passes up open lay-ups. Billups and Felton don't.

I don't know why we didn't go after Jason Williams to just play ten or so minutes a game. Jason Williams is one of those players who doesn't blow you away in the stat sheets, but is a better player than guys like Rondo, you just wouldn't spend that kind of money him because of injuries and age. He would have brought leadership, assists, and scoring while Felton was on the bench.

Iverson would have too, but I can see why people would be weary if he'd be willing to play off the bench and stuff. I see though that he just wants to be in the NBA again. Before this past summer he never said he'd accept any role. He could have played a lot more than 10 or so minutes if we needed him to.

T-Mac, did we even try to get him? He's Detroit's starting PG already.

-----------------------------------------------

On a different topic, forget about Billups not bringing the speed Felton brings. Let's not not look into the future through D'Antoni's eyes.

skisloper

Starter
Yes, I would. I don't like giving up Mozgov, especially Felton, but if the same trade went down and I had to choose Billups or Rondo for this season and next, definitely Billups. I don't take away what Rondo has done, he does fit the Celtics team, Billups is better period. Felton is probably better too, maybe far better. Rondo has inflated stats, not just because of the superstars around him, but because he passes up open lay-ups. Billups and Felton don't.

I don't why we didn't go after Jason Williams to just play ten or so minutes a game. Jason Williams is one of those players who doesn't blow you away in the stat sheets, but is a better player than guys like Rondo, you just wouldn't spend that kind of money him because of injuries and age. He would have brought leadership, assists, and scoring while Felton was on the bench.

Iverson would have too, but I can see why people would be weary if he'd be willing to play off the bench and stuff. I see though that he just wants to be in the NBA again. Before this past summer he never said he'd accept any role. He could have played a lot more than 10 or so minutes if we needed him to.

T-Mac, did we even try to get him? He's Detroit's starting PG already.

I think Donnie made a good choice in Felton. The problem I have with Felton is when has a off night its very off. With that said if he stays or Billups replaces him one has to imagine that Donnie finds a back-up point guard.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The only thing that would make this trade satisfying, as far as not knowing how our team is gonna go, is if we got Lawson, which isn't happening.