Knicks V Bucks - Feb 23 @ 7:30pm ~ New Look New York Knicks

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
we actually played more half court ball.

In regard to that, my eyes lit up on the handful of occasions Melo posted up on the high block in the 4th. Did you see the lanes created by the spacing there?

Bogut, league leader in BPG, could have gotten whiplash trying to keep an eye on the ball (Melo) and Amar'e on the high post. as the 2 converge, the defence collapses in a heap. All the while, Douglas, Billups and Fields are lingering on the arc.

Beast on the block indeed!

The missed dunk shooting foul on STAT was indicative of the spacing Melo creates - anyone recall? - and the potency of the 3 man 'quasi triangle offence' Billups, STAT and Melo can use in half court sets sends the mind boggling.

MD is jizzing all over his iPad right now.

mafra

Legend
I love how Billups nearly has a triple double... And he was a "throw in." Folks, he's an upgrade over Felton for the rest of this year and next. A see it like when we got Derek Harper.

Going to be great to have this clutch player in the playoffs. If we can survive CHI, we might shock somebody in the 2nd round!

Also, traffic just about tripled now that we got Carmelo. I saw last night a few hours after the game there was like 800 people here. WOW.

skisloper

Starter
Umm, first of all you have 2 guys in STAT and MELO that demand the ball and any motion will stop with them.... You knew this when you got Melo so to be harping on this now and to be blaming the coach is just ridiculous!! Not to mention that this team hasn't even practised together yet!!!! So, before you start judging D'Antoni on 1 game with a team of strangers, let them play and practice together at least a few times!?!?!?!?
Now, about Williams... OK, who else would you of had guarding him??? Turiaf? STAT??? They both were in foul trouble.... Sheldon Williams? Not sure what Sheldon will bring but he can't score and he can't really run in the fast past system so... But Shawn and Sheldon are 6' 9" tall but Shawn can score and with Melo and STAT both in foul trouble not really sure if there were other options.
I love this!!! NY finally gets Melo and that was what most of you guys wanted and we gave up our ONLY big in Mozgov in the process and our better defender in Gallo as well and now people are screaming because our gutted roster only allows us to have Shawn Williams as the 3/4/5 handy man... It is MIND BOGGLING!! I swear Knicks fans will NEVER be happy!!!
You need to give NY time to go out and try to bring in a serviceable big man either through trade today or signing whom ever is available just to get the body!!!
RELAX!!

I 100% agree with Fields playing 43 minutes...Coach knows Fields needs to get comfortable with this new arrangement...here is a guy that is playing now with 3 hall of fame of super all-stars the guy has to be walking on air....

he made mistakes that he never made since he has been here....thats inbounds pass to the bucks was terrible...but right after it chancey came up to him twice and slapped his back and spoke to him...

we right now have 4 players that will start the next 2 seasons and 3 players that will start the next 5 .....

LOVE THIS....FINALLY

mafra

Legend
I 100% agree with Fields playing 43 minutes...Coach knows Fields needs to get comfortable with this new arrangement...here is a guy that is playing now with 3 hall of fame of super all-stars the guy has to be walking on air....

he made mistakes that he never made since he has been here....thats inbounds pass to the bucks was terrible...but right after it chancey came up to him twice and slapped his back and spoke to him...

we right now have 4 players that will start the next 2 seasons and 3 players that will start the next 5 .....

LOVE THIS....FINALLY

I don't like the fact that Shelden Williams and Corey Brewer sat on the bench. Way to acclimate the new guys MD. Not even a sniff? Especially SW with the foul trouble.

We need some size coach.

I'll give him a pass b/c they may not be ready to get on the floor... But I wont accept a tight 8-man rotation that banishes these 2 players.

BOTH of these players actually defend. They will come in handy in May.

skisloper

Starter
I don't like the fact that Shelden Williams and Corey Brewer sat on the bench. Way to acclimate the new guys MD. Not even a sniff? Especially SW with the foul trouble.

We need some size coach.

I'll give him a pass b/c they may not be ready to get on the floor... But I wont accept a tight 8-man rotation that banishes these 2 players.

Again with the complaining.......maybe a shot Brewer gets traded..
also the Knicks looked confused today....new guys no practice...U just dont throw guys in...

are u ever happy

mafra

Legend
Again with the complaining.......maybe a shot Brewer gets traded..
also the Knicks looked confused today....new guys no practice...U just dont throw guys in...

are u ever happy

Dude is asking if I'm ever happy, in his 2nd post? As if you've been here before the Knicks traded for Carmelo?

Good point about them being possible trade assets. Hear that.

I wasn't complaining at all... Just stating the obvious, and for those who have actually watched the Knicks the last 2.5 years since MD arrived... He only plays 8 or 9 man rotations. Just pointing out a fact, but if that is never being happy... then yeah, I guess I'm not content.

Toons

is the Bo$$

We need some size coach.

ur such a bitch....he banished these two players? ur hormones are out of wack.....havent seen ur period in a few months huh?

mike d implemented plays for melo from denver, and adjusted the entire offense in one night....give the guy some slack

skisloper

Starter
Dude is asking if I'm ever happy, in his 2nd post? As if you've been here before the Knicks traded for Carmelo?

I wasn't complaining at all... Just stating the obvious, and for those who have actually watched the Knicks the last 2.5 years since MD arrived... He only plays 8 or 9 man rotations. Just pointing out a fact, but if that is never being happy... then yeah, I guess I'm not content.

I have been on the forum for 2 years and a ticket holder for 16 ...so yes I feel your pain.....the difference now is we have 4 starters that I want on the court 80 percent of the time at least......there is no more who should start and who should sit......
so I do not totally agree about the bigger rotation....i did pre-carmelo but not now...
I do think if we land a solid bigman who could start out bench rotation could make more sense.....

New center
and
turiaf
williams
douglas
plus one more off the bench...but who

skisloper

Starter

what is wrong with a 9 man rotation ?
please share your wisdom.

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;161307 said:
In regard to that, my eyes lit up on the handful of occasions Melo posted up on the high block in the 4th. Did you see the lanes created by the spacing there?

Bogut, league leader in BPG, could have gotten whiplash trying to keep an eye on the ball (Melo) and Amar'e on the high post. as the 2 converge, the defence collapses in a heap. All the while, Douglas, Billups and Fields are lingering on the arc.

Beast on the block indeed!

The missed dunk shooting foul on STAT was indicative of the spacing Melo creates - anyone recall? - and the potency of the 3 man 'quasi triangle offence' Billups, STAT and Melo can use in half court sets sends the mind boggling.

MD is jizzing all over his iPad right now.

Once he gets used to hitting those cutters including Amare.. watch out! Its gonna be te And1 show.

And again I wanna stress the need to make a good impression on Billups...

WE NEED HIM! AND A BIG.

mafra

Legend
ur such a bitch....he banished these two players? ur hormones are out of wack.....havent seen ur period in a few months huh?

mike d implemented plays for melo from denver, and adjusted the entire offense in one night....give the guy some slack

Yawn. Another tough guy behind a keyboard getting all worked up over the slightest, and most trivial, of meaningless things. Your feminine references are really original... Bet you've been saving those zingers, huh?

Basic reading comprehension people!

When I write: "But I wont accept a tight 8-man rotation that banishes these 2 players." I was talking about the next 27 games moving fwd (and the post season), while you're assuming I was talking about their DNP-CD last night.

Any 11 yr-old should have that figured out.

Ergo, again... IF Williams and Brewer remain on this team, and we do not add anything to the current roster, than those aforementioned players should be given the chance to contribute and not be banished... and the rotation should be more than last night's starting-5 + Douglas, Shawne & Walker.

AND... again... If you want to insult people at least offer some insight, like the poster who hinted that these 2 guys might be on the trade block.

Don't be Mr. Obvious. Of course these guys just arrived. This had nothing to do with that. MD prefers small lineups and he favors 8 to 9 man rotation. This is a fact.

So stop trying to pull my hair and be a man. Grow a thicker skin and get out more.

mafra

Legend
I have been on the forum for 2 years and a ticket holder for 16 ...so yes I feel your pain.....the difference now is we have 4 starters that I want on the court 80 percent of the time at least......there is no more who should start and who should sit......
so I do not totally agree about the bigger rotation....i did pre-carmelo but not now...
I do think if we land a solid bigman who could start out bench rotation could make more sense.....

New center
and
turiaf
williams
douglas
plus one more off the bench...but who

If we get a new C then I am totally fine with benching Williams and Brewer. No doubt. But we do know rebounding and defense will be issues, and in the playoffs against CHI & BOS we're going to need just that.

Make the newbies feel welcome. Like in baseball when you call up a kid from the minors... get him in a game and let him get his feet wet, or else rust starts to accumulate.

We know Douglas is banged up and inconsistent. Walker and Williams sort of offer the same thing... I think Williams is a definiete need, b/c Turiaf gets injured a lot. So, if we dont get a center and Turiaf is hurt, suddenly we need Shelden.

PLUS, does Fields really need to play 43 minutes?

That's all.

Same issue might arise even if we trade for a big man. He probably wont play. Carmelo, Stoudemire and Billups will (and should) be on the court for 35+ minutes. It's the pieces we run in and out around them that will change.

My complaint with MD's 8 or 9 man roation is this: He prefers shooters over size. Douglas plays solid defense. With Williams we probably don't need Brewer. It's just the size thing to me. Not that Williams is Ewing. It's just what happens when Turiaf is out?

skisloper

Starter
If we get a new C then I am totally fine with benching Williams and Brewer. No doubt. But we do know rebounding and defense will be issues, and in the playoffs against CHI & BOS we're going to need just that.

Make the newbies feel welcome. Like in baseball when you call up a kid from the minors... get him in a game and let him get his feet wet, or else rust starts to accumulate.

We know Douglas is banged up and inconsistent. Walker and Williams sort of offer the same thing... I think Williams is a definiete need, b/c Turiaf gets injured a lot. So, if we dont get a center and Turiaf is hurt, suddenly we need Shelden.

PLUS, does Fields really need to play 43 minutes?

That's all.

Same issue might arise even if we trade for a big man. He probably wont play. Carmelo, Stoudemire and Billups will (and should) be on the court for 35+ minutes. It's the pieces we run in and out around them that will change.

Fields played 43 minutes in my view because he has been a starter from day 1.....this new team is a bit overwhelming or the guy..he is playing with 3 hall of famers...he looked nervous and a bit awkward at times...not all year did he seem this way...He needs to work that out and minutes will do that....with Billups showing him the way....he will be very instrumental in our success....

I say sign foster for rebounds

mafra

Legend
Foster would be perfect. Camby and Jeffries are other names. Jeffries is obviously a target (and his defens eon Rondo might come in handy). I would put my list in this order:

Camby
Dalembert
Pryz
Jeffries
Foster
Barron

I'm sure we'll get one of these guys.

They also talked about Jerome Jordan being a guy they will coach up like they did with Mozgov.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Most coaches implement a 8-9 man rotation unless they are blosing out a team or getting blown out... Injury will dictate who's played but for the most part it is very common that teams play a short rotation.
Before you give me Boston, if we had the players Boston has we would have a longer rotation but the reality is; when STAT comes out and now Melo; we have no players that can take control and keep scoring for a time so that these guys can rest. Douglas might become that guy if he can stay healthy but that's it. Walker??? Not consistent enough to be leaned on.
I am sure Brewer will get a chance to show what he's got but not until this team has more games under their belt. Remember, we are in a play-off run and during this transition time we still need to win so STAT, MELO, Fields and Billups will be HEAVILY leaned on until there is more familiarity, coherency and consistency with these guys.

mafra

Legend
Most coaches implement a 8-9 man rotation unless they are blosing out a team or getting blown out... Injury will dictate who's played but for the most part it is very common that teams play a short rotation.
Before you give me Boston, if we had the players Boston has we would have a longer rotation but the reality is; when STAT comes out and now Melo; we have no players that can take control and keep scoring for a time so that these guys can rest. Douglas might become that guy if he can stay healthy but that's it. Walker??? Not consistent enough to be leaned on.
I am sure Brewer will get a chance to show what he's got but not until this team has more games under their belt. Remember, we are in a play-off run and during this transition time we still need to win so STAT, MELO, Fields and Billups will be HEAVILY leaned on until there is more familiarity, coherency and consistency with these guys.

That's true. We need these guys to develop chemistry on the fly, and now only have 27 games to do so before the playoff run. PLUS, game was in question so we couldn't afford to expand the rotation.

I just think Brewer is the better defensive player (compared to Walker and probably Williams). And Shelden our 2nd best defensive BIG. Brewer and Williams/Turiaf could surround the BIG-3 when we need stops. Walker-Williams when we want 3-point shooting.

BUT... we'll know more soon... Trade deadline might bring more... Should at least sign somebody after that after we see who gets cut.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
That's true. We need these guys to develop chemistry on the fly, and now only have 27 games to do so before the playoff run. PLUS, game was in question so we couldn't afford to expand the rotation.

I just think Brewer is the better defensive player (compared to Walker and probably Williams). And Shelden our 2nd best defensive BIG. Brewer and Williams/Turiaf could surround the BIG-3 when we need stops. Walker-Williams when we want 3-point shooting.

BUT... we'll know more soon... Trade deadline might bring more... Should at least sign somebody after that after we see who gets cut.

Sheldan is an intersting player... He's undersized but a HUGE body! The issue with Sheldon is that he can't score and he's not built for the run and gun system. THe Knicks will need another Big body because Turiaf can't play huge minutes and we have nothing else.....That is the glaring need right now

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Heres what I propose and I think this will still keep Mike D happy.

Release Balkman, Mason, and Carter

Sign Murphy and Barron

Murphy is an offensive minded center, but he can still grab rebounds and is a legit 7 footer. Earl Barron is a nice option to have too.

Heres your lineup:

C-Murphy
PF- STAT
SF- Melo
SG- Fields
PG- Billups

Bench:
Douglas
Brewer
Shawne Williams
Turiaf
Barron
Bill Walker
Azubuike (when healthy)

Inactives:
Shelden
Rautins

If TJ Ford becomes available then just release Shelden or Azu and sign him and your pretty set for the most part. I think Murphy would prosper in Dantoni's system. Id rather a legit big grinder down low, but with Sammy D not on the block who else is there? Its pretty much Troy Murphy or Bust.