Is it safe to say we will be going go after DeAndre Jordan this summer

clumsy

Rotation player
i agree wit Moz as he is really raw, but Gallo, CHandler, Felton are what they are. Good players. You don't magically turn into a superstar you are or you aren't.

Gallo's ceiling is a couple of All Star games like a Latrell Spreewell. Chandler will never make an all star game with all the good small forwards in the league.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I would think the full MLE is the most any team is willing to offer him and there is no team that will go after him as hard as us.

I imagine getting a call from Melo and Amare should help out immensly

Billups
Feilds
Anthony
Amare
Jordan

Should win 52 games next season!!!!

Haha, and if the coach will play him. He can't shoot the ball :).

Relax Kblack and Trillion, I kid, I kid... sorta.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
LJ i don't agree with you here mainly because you can just look at the boston celtics.

They lucked out with Rondo, but you have to ask yourself who the hekc was glen davis, kendrick perkins, eddie house, leon powe, etc was. You just need bodies when you have superstars.

Only a teams own fans would overrate their own role players. None of the guys we gave up are stars nor will they ever be them.

It's not the bodies. It's how we get them, with a more restrictive CBA (no MLE), zero draft picks, and zero assets.

If we get them, great. I'm just not as convinced as all of you that everything will fall together nicely. It's going to take a lot of luck.

Add insult to injury, if had Melo not been greedy and signed in the offseason, we would be contenders next year, even with a restrictive CBA.

And I disagree a little that just any bodies will do. The Lakers have Derek Fischer, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, etc.

How do we get players of that caliber? Not everyone is going to take the vet minimum. You still need GOOD role players to win a chip. Not just any role players.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. I'm sorry about my lack of optimism. I'm not going to stick my head in the ground and say everything is great. We still need A LOT MORE to compete for a championship. I will be happy when those pieces are here. Until then, we're only a team with a few more wins and maybe 1 extra round in the playoffs. And we all know that's not what this was about.

mafra

Legend
It's not the bodies. It's how we get them, with a more restrictive CBA (no MLE), zero draft picks, and zero assets.

If we get them, great. I'm just not as convinced as all of you that everything will fall together nicely. It's going to take a lot of luck.

Add insult to injury, if had Melo not been greedy and signed in the offseason, we would be contenders next year, even with a restrictive CBA.

And I disagree a little that just any bodies will do. The Lakers have Derek Fischer, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, etc.

How do we get players of that caliber? Not everyone is going to take the vet minimum. You still need GOOD role players to win a chip. Not just any role players.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. I'm sorry about my lack of optimism. I'm not going to stick my head in the ground and say everything is great. We still need A LOT MORE to compete for a championship. I will be happy when those pieces are here. Until then, we're only a team with a few more wins and maybe 1 extra round in the playoffs. And we all know that's not what this was about.

I see it differently as well.

Billups has a ring. IS clutch. Hits big shots and gets to the free throw line. Plays solid defense. Felton got eaten alive by Nelson in his lone playoff appearance. Billups has played almost 2 entire season's worth of post season games. For this year's playoff run and next... Billups is the better option for NYK.

Mozgov, accoding to Jim Boeheim, is a throwback center and was one of the legit prospects he watched in the WORLDS last summer. A real big with presence and physical nature. But he is raw. Normally takes 3 years for this kind of project. I do agree that this throwin really hurt. Obviously, this is wahy this was the last piece that needed to be worked out. TOUGH to give up on this kid's future potential to be an enforcer in the paint, and with the lack of size NYK have he even mattered to our present... But let's not forget that RIGHT NOW Shelden Williams is a more complete player. He may not be as good, but he is certainly more polished. BETTER DEFENSIVELY and will also be more important this year and next.

NO DOUBT CARMELO IS BETTER THAN GALLO.

And then there's the Chandler for Brewer swap. I think defensively they both have something to offer, and while WC is the better player right now... Corey still will fit in nicely and replace WC somewhat.

All in all, making a run with Stoudemire this year and next.... Carmelo, Billups, Williams and Brewer as a foursome is much better than Gallo, Felton, Chandler, Mozgov.

AR was never playing as long as D'antoni is here, so that point is mute.

AS for Carmelo wanting his money? Why shouldn't he? He earned it. Is it fair owners can treat players like what just happened to Raymond Felton? Model citizen. Does what he's asked to do. Goes 120%. Signs with new team. MOves family. Then gets tossed out like garbage?

Melo didn't demand NYK make the deal. He just told then he wanted his money and wasn't prepared to wait. Why should he risk his worth b/c Dolan and Walsh want him to? Would you risk 30 million for James Dolan?

This trade also does nothing to hurt NYK come 2012, when they want to sign Deron/Paul/Howard.

mafra

Legend
You do know that Gallo is no longer a Kick therefore him being coveted by teams only helps Denver. Right?

You do realize... If the Clippers trade for Gallo then odds increase that they dump/release Kaman? Can't hurt the cause, right?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
You do realize... If the Clippers trade for Gallo then odds increase that they dump/release Kaman? Can't hurt the cause, right?

Well, that was not clear from your posts so forgive us(wasn't just me) for being confused. That said, I don't really see why acquiring a SF makes them anymore likely to trade/cut Kaman. I could be wrong but don't see what your rationale for thinking that is.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It's not the bodies. It's how we get them, with a more restrictive CBA (no MLE),

My understanding was that the MLE's keeping/removal is still far from decided. Did you hear otherwise?

If it's out, then we'll be pushing shit up a hill, even to make it to the ECF before STAT's contract runs out.

mafra

Legend
Well, that was not clear from your posts so forgive us(wasn't just me) for being confused. That said, I don't really see why acquiring a SF makes them anymore likely to trade/cut Kaman. I could be wrong but don't see what your rationale for thinking that is.

"SOURCES" have mentioned the tidbit that LAC want to dump Kaman. They want/need to resign DeAndre Jordan this summer. Kaman makes 11 mil this year, and 12 next year.

BUt, you're probabaly right anyway. Knicks will be better off not getting Kaman, or having LAC dump him. We prefer Jordan. If they get Gallo, and still have Kaman, then they wont (i hope) have the cash to retain DeAndre.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I posted this: "GALLO might help us here. Word is LAC are one of the few teams interested in dealing for Gallo. Let's hope if he goes to LAC, Knicks manage to get Kaman or Jordan somehow." Then posted the espn link that mentioned the rumor.

I'm not clear how any one with basic reading comprehension would infer that I assumed Gallo was still property of NYK, or something beyond the hope that if LAC acquire GALLO then LAC might dump Kaman (which helps the Knicks).

"SOURCES" have mentioned the tidbit that LAC want to dump Kaman. They want/need to resign DeAndre Jordan this summer. Kaman makes 11 mil this year, and 12 next year.

BUt, you're probabaly right anyway. Knicks will be better off not getting Kaman, or having LAC dump him. We prefer Jordan. If they get Gallo, and still have Kaman, then they wont (i hope) have the cash to retain DeAndre.

How can you not see it be confusing? You made no mention of Denver and talked about LAC being interested in Gallo which in turn helps the Knicks get Kaman or Jordan. Without explaining that you think that a trade with Denver(who you did not mention) somehow makes it likely for them to cut or not sign either(even though Gallo is a SF) allowing the Knicks(one of 28 other teams) to acquire them. To me it was a logical stretch to even postulate that one or both would not be included in that trade, that they look at Gallo as a reason to cut one of their centers and that the Knicks out of all other teams would be the beneficiary. Meh...

Anyway, I hope you are right and we can get Jordan this year or next. Solid long athletic big with upside.

mafra

Legend
How can you not see it be confusing? You made no mention of Denver and talked about LAC being interested in Gallo which in turn helps the Knicks get Kaman or Jordan. Without explaining that you think that a trade with Denver(who you did not mention) somehow makes it likely for them to cut or not sign either(even though Gallo is a SF) allowing the Knicks(one of 28 other teams) to acquire them. To me it was a logical stretch to even postulate that one or both would not be included in that trade, that they look at Gallo as a reason to cut one of their centers and that the Knicks out of all other teams would be the beneficiary. Meh...

Anyway, I hope you are right and we can get Jordan this year or next. Solid long athletic big with upside.

This isn't the Victorian age, where we explicitly detail and depict every emotion, intention, feeling in long letter form. This is the internet age, where thoughts are condensed and vowels eliminated.

Powers of deduction should have led all to assume that I already knew Gallo was traded to DEN. If I'm wasting time posting here on the NYK forum, then odds are I am privy to one of the biggest trades in NYK history.

This particular thread has to do with LAC letting a center go, and common knowledge is that the Knicks now need a center.

So, this is what brings us to my statement about a rumor that LAC was interested in Gallo (and subsequently followed up with a link), and word that DEN may or may not flip Gallo, after they traded for him.

I just think some people are wise azzes, not a poke at you. But they want to poke and nudge people for every little thing, and forget to look at the big picture.

So, if I didn't take the extra time to fully explain that I am aware NYk sent Gallo to DEN, and that if LAC wants GALLO they will work something out with DEN, then I guess that is my bad. YOu knw what happens when you ASSUME something.

Anyway, it's just that if LAC wants to dump Kaman, then they would do so in a pure salary dump... Meaning teams like NYK and MIA have a good shot, compared with other centers on the block... for whom teams would demand something more than a trade exemption.

I know Walsh wont want Kaman given his 2011 obligation. A guy like Dalembert is more attractive b/c you can let him walk at end of season. DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol are targets #1 this summer.

Last edited: