Why Dolan is such a damn idiot

jzero29

Rotation player
from an owner(dolan) standpoint, he just crushed NJ a second time. they lost out on every big time free agent this summer. Now they also missed out on another. So even at this cost it was worth it to Dolan, to keep his franchise as the premire NBA team in NY area.
Believe it or not The Nets have been a credible threat to take over some of a knicks fan base that has been feed up with the franchises poor decisions and poor play. True die hards, like myself, no way(unless Isiah is brought back as GM or coach), but those front running clowns who had traded there P.Ewing/A.Houston jersey for a jason kid jersey and back to a Stoudemire jersey would leave the knick again in a heart beat. Especially if they have a star and are playing well. Besides I am serious, if Isiah comes back, Consider me a Brooklyn fan.

Dolan aware of this and frightened he will lose the chance to sign anthony, was heightend by the NJ/ brooklyn nets becoming a true NY team, in the boro with the most blue collar national appeal. He panicked, looked weak and caved in.
to lose melo was one thing, to lose him to NJ was another. Everytime Carmelo played against the Knicks or Brooklyn made the playoffs, the Head lines would have been brutal
That said there is no saying either way what he would have done. 65 mill is a lot of cash, besides, with new collective barganing, who knows how free agency will be effected. How much could they have thrown at him, 10-20, maybe more less? what if the Owners create a franchise tag type thing where they would have been able to keep melo, even if he didn't want to stay, like the NFL. Owners are complaining about james, bosch and melo situations. who knows what the results will be. I would say it is something they are fighting for. So you couldnt rule out the NJ trade or the staying with denver.

Right, Nets or the Nuggets. Same result, Knicks losing out on Melo. Hence we had to up our offer. I see you trying to save face now.

My bad on saying 2 WC finals. Change of subject huh? Sure sign you are losing the debate in this thread. :thumbsup:

You are WRONG. You said that melo would sign the extension with the Nets if the Knicks didn't get this deal done. You never mentioned the Nuggets.

You are back tracking.

Call it a truce and lets get on with it.

Go Knicks.

Seriously

what is wrong with you

all you have to do is go like this

PG Billups - Felton
SG Fields - Chandler
SF Melo - Gallo
PF Amare - Randolph
C Turiaf - Mozgov

That is essentially the starting line up transition from before and after this trade

if any of you fools are upset by what we have compared to what we had in terms of a core

you are foooools

and not real knicks fans.

I am sorry to call you out in such a harsh manner, but really now ??

you obviously have no clue what so ever how good Melo is

and what it means for players like tony douglas, fields, walker, s williams, and corey brewer, to play with 3 veterans that all have 7-10 years of playoff experience including championship experience.

I am shockeddd

shocked that any one is upet by what has gone on

Mozgof barely played half this season, Felton would not even be remotely close to the caliber pg he is if not for Amare making his entire game easier to translate ( not to mention Mike D's system ) Gallo and Chandler both shoot a worse percentage and take worse shots than Fields does.

and we now have billups shooting 45 percent with out chucking threes as our pg.

Our bench stays the same

and we still have house money to play with

AS far as im concerned we should be thanking Dolan for finally being an owner that cares about winning

not mediocrity.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Seriously

what is wrong with you

PG Billups - Felton
SG Fields - Chandler
SF Melo - Gallo
PF Amare - Randolph
C Turiaf - Mozgov

That is essentially the starting line up transition from before and after this trade

if any of you fools are upset by what we have compared to what we had in terms of a core

you are foooools

and what it means for players like tony douglas, fields, walker, s williams, and corey brewer, to play with 3 veterans that all have 7-10 years of playoff experience including championship experience.

I am shockeddd

Mozgof barely played half this season, Felton would not even be remotely close to the caliber pg he is if not for Amare making his entire game easier to translate ( not to mention Mike D's system ) Gallo and Chandler both shoot a worse percentage and take worse shots than Fields does.

Our bench stays the same

AS far as im concerned we should be thanking Dolan for finally being an owner that cares about winning

not mediocrity.

why thankyou.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
You are WRONG. You said that melo would sign the extension with the Nets if the Knicks didn't get this deal done. You never mentioned the Nuggets.

You are back tracking.

Call it a truce and lets get on with it.

Go Knicks.

Uhm, my point was never that he would have gone to the Nets specifically. This is whats called a strawman argument. You are pretending I meant A because B is too hard to debate. Sorry if I did not hold your hand and implicitly go out of my way to explain every option Melo could have chosen that would have resulted in the same thing...THE KNICKS LOSING THE CHANCE AT MELO. The point is that we had to up our offer because Melo was unwilling to go to FA. You did read where I made mention several times about the CBA being too much of risk? Right?

No truce, you lose. Give it up.

Uhm, my point was never that he would have gone to the Nets specifically. This is whats called a strawman argument. You are pretending I meant A because B is too hard to debate. Sorry if I did not hold your hand and implicitly go out of my way to explain every option Melo could have chosen that would have resulted in the same thing...THE KNICKS LOSING THE CHANCE AT MELO. The point is that we had to up our offer because Melo was unwilling to go to FA. You did read where I made mention several times about the CBA being too much of risk? Right?

No truce, you lose. Give it up.

I see you need anger management counsel.

Sad, very sad.

I like melo, but I also liked marbury.
Bottom line is we gave up alot to get marbury, And it didn't work out.
So i am concerend we gave up alot for Anthony, not just in developing talent, like Gallo and mozgov. but in draft picks as well.
I think we decimated our team core, will struggle to find chemistry(as expected with any big trade), hope to find stride for playoffs and put up a good fight against the top teams, because I can't see us finishing as the 4th or 5th seed. staying at 6th, maybe dropping to 7th or 8th.
admittedly Billups is in my opinion an upgrade over felton.

Yeah but Starbury was alone. Houston had to retire, Spree was gone, Camby was gone. He had nothing special beside him.

Melo has STAT, Fields and maybe even Paul next summer.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
that is a very good thread here. I think the biggest problem with the Knicks is James Dolan. He is just thinking about money no matter what, even if it makes us lose more. he would sign allen iverson if he could just to raise ticket prices.

now if he would be more smart he could be like the Yankees and realize winning puts people in hte seats more than anything, not the names on the jerseys.

I'm kind of being a dick for pointing this out, I think JPZ is a good poster do I don't mean this as an attack, but hilarious to me that you use Iverson, I too hate Dolan but Dolan actually said no to AI not long ago

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I see you need anger management counsel.

Sad, very sad.

This from the guy who responded to my on-topic posts as "clueless!" and went out of his was to post in another thread about how I mistakenly(shock!) stated Melo went twice to the WC finals. :thumbsup:

Me: "I'll take hypocritical posters for 2000 Alex!"

Alex: "This poster attacked your motives, called you clueless and distorted your position well before you put him in his place and called him on it. He then inferred you are somehow mad while ignoring his own emotional actions"

Me: "Who is 1970KnicksLove"

Alex: "Correct! You have the lead and the board"

:cool:

I'm not mad, I just know I'm right...

SlimChin

Rookie
<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1">The Knicks were a couple of days away from receiving Carmelo Anthony for only Eddy Curry, but instead they let go of four championship pieces in Gallo, Chandler, Felton and Mosgov.

puhahahaha are you kidding??? championship pieces??? those guys are career role players. role players are a dime a dozen.

Now if we let Fields go, I would've been upset.

Let's think long term. this is going to take a couple of yrs. at the end of the 2012 we don't pick up the option for billups and we go for CP3 or Deron.

jzero29

Rotation player
true

Yeah but Starbury was alone. Houston had to retire, Spree was gone, Camby was gone. He had nothing special beside him.

Melo has STAT, Fields and maybe even Paul next summer.
True, I was just thinking of the team. Next summer is going to suck, the NBA holds out. CB agreement may be in place to totally F the knicks on picking up a 3rd top level guy leaving the teams with a big 3 the only teams with 3 super star players.
even without any CB agreement changes it's pretty tall order to get a big 3 on level of miami. Paul would be nice, but we'll see. We need a somewhat offensively productive, defensive big man that can run the floor. Like a ben wallace in prime type.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
How much did we have to give up.

I do not believe it was necessary to give up Mozgov. It would not have been a deal breaker. Suppose the Nets insisted on Fields too, should we have given in? Dolan blinked, and I think unnecessarily. We paid more than we had to.

But whether we paid "too much" is something different from paying more than we had to. Hopefully going forward, no one will complain.

However, we will not have much room for error going forward. I prefer Billups to Felton, but he is 34 and at most a rental for the rest of this year and next year. We, therefore, will have holes both at the center position and point guard. I do not believe we can fill them both with the likely cap problems created by two players making $40M a year. I think we may well have insurmountable difficulties in acquiring Paul or D. Williams when they become free agents. And if we do,how do we expect to sign a decent center. We do have a draft pick this coming year. Perhaps we can get lucky and fill at least one of those needs.

I think both Walsh's and D'Antoni's days are numbered.

CAN WE NEVER SAY MOZGOF EVER AGAIN

please

dude was avg 3 pnts a game and we are baffled as to why we gave him up

BECAUSE HE SUCKEDDDDDD

im sorry to say it but the guy was 25, not a 19 yr old young center

but 25 by the time he gets his feet wet, he will be 28-29 breaking down most likely.

I give him a teir of 11 ppg and 9 rebs a game and maybe 2 blks.

Thats as far as his talent goes in todays league.
ENOUGH With the RUSSIAN.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I do not believe it was necessary to give up Mozgov. It would not have been a deal breaker. Suppose the Nets insisted on Fields too, should we have given in? Dolan blinked, and I think unnecessarily. We paid more than we had to.

But whether we paid "too much" is something different from paying more than we had to. Hopefully going forward, no one will complain.

However, we will not have much room for error going forward. I prefer Billups to Felton, but he is 34 and at most a rental for the rest of this year and next year. We, therefore, will have holes both at the center position and point guard. I do not believe we can fill them both with the likely cap problems created by two players making $40M a year. I think we may well have insurmountable difficulties in acquiring Paul or D. Williams when they become free agents. And if we do,how do we expect to sign a decent center. We do have a draft pick this coming year. Perhaps we can get lucky and fill at least one of those needs.

I think both Walsh's and D'Antoni's days are numbered.

I posted this in another thread:

Right. This all boils down to Mozgov. Walsh seemed prepared to play a game of chicken, risking Melo for the chance to retain Mozgov. Dolan thought the risk was to great and over ruled Walsh. Yes, Moz has potential and is a 7 footer on a team already lacking in size but at the end of the day we got our man.

You can argue that Walsh may have forced Denver to fold but it is an unknowable therefore should not be factored in.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I like Mozgov. I think he is going to turn into quite a player. Was showing some ability with very little coaching helping him out.

CAN WE NEVER SAY MOZGOF EVER AGAIN

please

dude was avg 3 pnts a game and we are baffled as to why we gave him up

BECAUSE HE SUCKEDDDDDD

im sorry to say it but the guy was 25, not a 19 yr old young center

but 25 by the time he gets his feet wet, he will be 28-29 breaking down most likely.

I give him a teir of 11 ppg and 9 rebs a game and maybe 2 blks.

Thats as far as his talent goes in todays league.
ENOUGH With the RUSSIAN.
You just wrote exactly what i was about to write.

Seriously

what is wrong with you

PG Billups - Felton
SG Fields - Chandler
SF Melo - Gallo
PF Amare - Randolph
C Turiaf - Mozgov

you are foooools

I am shockeddd

Our bench stays the same

not mediocrity.
Agreed 100% +1