Marbury to be at Camp!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Knicks president says Marbury will be at camp; veteran Houston might, too

By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)

Updated: September 23, 2008, 9:06 PM ET
Pouring water on widespread speculation that the Knicks will waive Stephon Marbury, president Donnie Walsh said the controversial point guard will be with the team when it begins official workouts next week.
"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

3099.jpg
Marbury

A newspaper report out of New York Tuesday morning said the Knicks are planning to waive Marbury by the end of the week. The move, which has been speculated about for months in the media, would eventually lead to a buyout of the $21.9 million Marbury is owed in the final year of his contract.
"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."
When asked whether he's reached out to the point guard to alleviate concerns about his status with the team, Walsh said, "I talked to Stephon once and he seems OK about all of this."
Marbury is coming off the worst season of his 12-year career. He had a famous falling-out with his coach, president and one-time mentor Isiah Thomas, played in only 24 games because of injury, underwent surgery on his left ankle, and averaged career-lows in points (13.9), assists (4.7), rebounds (2.5) and minutes (33.6).
But at 31 years old, Marbury is still fairly young, and reports are that he spent the summer getting in the best shape he's been in in years.
Walsh also said former Knicks guard Allan Houston will probably join the team at training camp. He said Houston, 37, has been working out with the Knicks at their practice facility and that his shooting touch is as smooth as ever.
Walsh is going to meet with Houston on Wednesday to further discuss the situation. He would not guarantee Houston a spot on the roster, though.
"I don't know the answer to that," Walsh said, when asked whether Houston would definitely play for the Knicks this season. "But as far as putting the ball in the basket, he absolutely can still shoot. He has to be in more intense situations."
Houston, who averaged 17.3 points over his 12-year career, was forced to retire in 2005 because of an arthritic left knee. He returned briefly last season before bowing out during the Knicks training camp.
Walsh said it will be different this time around.
"In that case, he hadn't worked out that much," Walsh said. "He just came in and started playing. Now, he feels like he's in better position to go out and play. I accept that."
The question is will New York still accept Marbury.

I bet some of you feel like idiots now, hahahaha

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
Im glad that marbury is going to camp. I hope the knicks hold onto him i think he will have a good year under dantoni's offense. Marbury is in good shape and also i hope Allan Houston makes the team that would be so cool. Houston and ewing in the lineup just like the 90's. just buy out james and cut roberson and then there that frees up 2 spots for ewing and houston

Ewing2008

Rookie
Yeah, and Isiah Thomas was retained! Big deal. He is coming to camp because he is still under contract although the plan is still to get rid of him. Stay tuned.

Kiyaman

Legend
What to do with Marbury $21 million contract?

This was one of the "Top-3" question that was given to Donnie Walsh on the day he was hired as the Knick President, and several times before the regular season ended.
Six months ago everyone wanted to know what Donnie Walsh plans for "Isiah, Zach, and Marbury" the week he was hired. This is not something new!

My question to Donnie Walsh in late September, "Why did you take on a job you did not have any answers to its problems?".
Was it to prove something to the Indiana Pacers owner that was favoring G.M. Larry Bird decisions over President Walsh?

If Donnie Walsh had plans on keeping Marbury than he should have traded "Crawford and the 6th pick" to get OJ Mayo or select SG-Gordon in the draft.... Marbury would be the prime PG to have this season with either of those young SG.

Marbury would be a KEEPER in his final contract season if the Knicks had traded Crawford.
The two guards showed me in the last 4 seasons that their is only room for one of them on this Knick Roster. They dont plan together or have chemistry together.
Both are consistent "halfcourt-offensive" guards that does not improve their teammates performance on the offensive end of the court. Plus both will promote different problems with new coach Dantoni uptempo style.

What to do with Marbury is a helluv a question at $21 million dollars...

GetRealistic

Starter
This is just getting rediculous, instead of the opening of training camp Tuesday, its just going to be one big circus come on Media day. Walsh needs to make a decision by Friday. Either buy him out or come out and say hes going to be on the roster for the rest of his contract.

We all know nothing good can come from him being on the roster but atleast if Donnie comes out and makes a statement that Stephs here the team can move on. The only thing i can really see as holding the buyout up is Steph saying he wants all 21 million. Maybe Donnies plan is to bring him into camp and sit him on the bench and make him miserable enough that they can negitiate a more resonable buyout. Whats 4 million dollars to Dolan? Instead of starting a new era Tuesday, the presence of Marbury will bring the circus atmosphere that has surrouned us for the last 4 years, Donnie might as well invite Isiah to camp.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Crap! Just when I thought Donnie was beginning to make moves to make this team better. Now we get to watch towelhead scowling on the bench again. Another year of embarrassing knuckleheads. D'Antoni will quit by the end of the year.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
My Top 5 Reasons For Being an Embarrassed Knick Fan:

1.) 23-59 record with one of the highest payrolls

2.) Isiah Thomas

3.) Jim Dolan

4.) Stephon Marbury

5.) Zach Randolph

I was hoping 4 of the 5 would have been corrected this year (nothing we can do about Jimmy D). But now it looks like only 1 (Isiah Thomas) has been removed. Many more embarrassing moments to come for Knick fans this year. Trust me.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Marbury's Future

"We have not approached Stephon with respect to a buy-out" is hardly a proclamation that he will be playing when the season begins. That weak statement plainly suggests that there will be discussions. Marbury has indicated that he will give no discounts. He wants the full $21.9M. The Knicks could make it tough on him by carrying him on the roster but never letting him play. As Chicago did with Tim Thomas, they could tell him to sit at home. Dolan knows how to play hard-ball. There will be buy-out discussions. Marbury will not want to sit at home in a "contract" year, partcularly when he is in the best shape of his career. This could get ugly.

Starks

Starter
jesus christ. this marbury thing is becoming such a headache. For the love of god donnie, just make a statement.. is with us or not?

I dont care anymore

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
We all know nothing good can come from him being on the roster but atleast if Donnie comes out and makes a statement that Stephs here the team can move on. The only thing i can really see as holding the buyout up is Steph saying he wants all 21 million. Maybe Donnies plan is to bring him into camp and sit him on the bench and make him miserable enough that they can negitiate a more resonable buyout. Whats 4 million dollars to Dolan? Instead of starting a new era Tuesday, the presence of Marbury will bring the circus atmosphere that has surrouned us for the last 4 years, Donnie might as well invite Isiah to camp.

Are you sure about that?

hater.jpg

My Top 5 Reasons For Being an Embarrassed Knick Fan:

1.) 23-59 record with one of the highest payrolls

2.) Isiah Thomas

3.) Jim Dolan

4.) Stephon Marbury

5.) Zach Randolph

I was hoping 4 of the 5 would have been corrected this year (nothing we can do about Jimmy D). But now it looks like only 1 (Isiah Thomas) has been removed. Many more embarrassing moments to come for Knick fans this year. Trust me.

At least you dont have marbury 1st, like some other knicks fans. But to put marbury ahead of randolph, crawford, and curry....

facepalm2.jpg

GetRealistic

Starter
After yesterday you really have no credibility. Your now on the level of a JPZ and Kiya. All this does is push back your two week leave because your upset about Marbury being let go.

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
you have absolutely no crediability anymore after yesterday. You lost all that when you played the role of a little girl who didn't get her way and cried and went home.

So come Friday or next week when he gets released you gonna pull the same thing?

Thats what your hoping for, right?

The only reason why i was going to leave was to avoid having to read all the haterburys make fools of themselves. You and the rest of the haterburys have been dominated in the starbury wars. Getreal you never had credibility, you cant even spell the word.

I have an offer to make you...

Im offering to be your ghostwriter. I will make threads and posts for you, and lift you from the bottom. Since i joined you have been one of the worst posters on this site....Well im willing to make you one of the best. Private message me if your interested...i have more important things to take care of for now. Im going to make a "Will Knicks126 comeback?" thread....