I Like Billups!

nyk_nyk

All Star
I like billups. He's a good guard with a good pedigree. He takes responsibility and never shy's from the important game or shot or decision.

I don't think he's worth the 14 mill. but then i don't think ANYONE is worth 14 million dollars a year. Billups would be smart to stay with the knicks, regardless of making 14 million or taking a more reasonable 2 year 10 million dollar contract. I think the knicks will keep him as i expect that the run we make this playoffs will be enough for EVERYONE to want melo, billups and amar'e to play together for a while.

Good post.

This is the reason why Trill would rather focus on the finer points of a debate. Hardly anyone agrees with him when it comes to Billups ability to be the starting PG on this team past this year.

He's alone on this so he has to try that much harder. Oh and please Trill no mentioning of the contract because as I and others have already mentioned, WE DON'T THINK HE'S WORTH 14 MIL (please leave that aspect of it alone already). However, we'd happily accept him for a lower salary.

Buy out his 14M contract for 2M. Sign him to 5M & thats a savings of 7M.

TD23 would also have an entire playoffs (this year), a full offseason of working with Billups, all of next season + next years playoffs of learning behind one hell of a veteran PG. That could become a blessing for both the Knicks & especially TD23 himself. We've all seen his raw talents, but as of right now? The sky is the limit for Toney Douglas being DEVELOPED behind two excellent leaders of the PG position in Mike D'Antoni & Chauncey Billups.

Move Turiaf on draft night for a late 1st, early 2nd rounder or to trade up to draft Kenneth Faried. If Turiaf picks up his player-option worth 4M? Thats a saving of 11M with Billups & Turiaf combined.

I'd hate to lose Turiaf as a high energy guy but he'd be replaced by a proven FA starting Center. That 11M is savings could be enough for Marc Gasol & no question DeAndre Jordan.

C- Gasol / Shelden
PF- Amare / Faried
SF- Melo / Shawne
SG- Fields / Walker
PG- Billups / TD23

Instant Contender

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer

TD23 would also have an entire playoffs (this year), a full offseason of working with Billups, all of next season + next years playoffs of learning behind one hell of a veteran PG. That could become a blessing for both the Knicks & especially TD23 himself. We've all seen his raw talents, but as of right now? The sky is the limit for Toney Douglas being DEVELOPED behind two excellent leaders of the PG position in Mike D'Antoni & Chauncey Billups.

Move Turiaf on draft night for a late 1st, early 2nd rounder or to trade up to draft Kenneth Faried. If Turiaf picks up his player-option worth 4M? Thats a saving of 11M with Billups & Turiaf combined.

I'd hate to lose Turiaf as a high energy guy but he'd be replaced by a proven FA starting Center. That 11M is savings could be enough for Marc Gasol & no question DeAndre Jordan.

C- Gasol / Shelden
PF- Amare / Faried
SF- Melo / Shawne
SG- Fields / Walker
PG- Billups / TD23

Instant Contender
Turiaf for a late first? Absolutely no chance of any team trading a first round pick for Turiaf.

Red

TYPE-A

C- Gasol / Shelden
PF- Amare / Faried
SF- Melo / Shawne
SG- Fields / Walker
PG- Billups / TD23

Instant Contender

Well we can only speculate seeing as a new CBA is on the horizon.

Although, I don't. Believe its a coincidence that Dougie has performed better with Billups as a mentor, especially from 3pt distance. He needs to learn the true nuances of being a pg, which is feel for the game, an smart decisions.

Yes, CB only had only 3pts before getting injured- yet we were +19 with him doing so. That says a lot.

And remember Felt was on the books for $6mil (I believe) so that has to be taken into account next year.

Let's hope there's even bb next year too- this could all be moot.

p0nder

Starter
^ have been avoiding the possibility of a lock out because that would be DEVESTATING to this team, for the love of god, everyone pray to GOD ALLAH, THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER, THE DALI LAMA and grover that this does not happen.

Stats do matter, but not with last night's situation.

Not when Billups was running an excellent offensive attack & the offensive flow of the game was perfect.

"Stats"? I don't need to look @ the box-score, I seen the game; & seen EXACTLY what happened after CB got hurt.

Up by 19 & CRUSHING with CB. TD23 had much better #'s than Billups, but numbers never tell the truth or the whole story. I've loved TD23 since his FSU days (my team), I enjoy his talents & potential & look forward to his future with the Knicks; but that still doesn't change the fact he's a 3 on a scale of 1-10 when compared to CB in terms of running, leading & controlling an offense from the PG position.

Only two turnovers last night. The ball movement was excellent with CB running point. CB wasn't looking to score, & instead, was passing to the man that actually passed to another player for an easy assist. Even Amare had like 7 or 8 assist's night. The ball movement & flow was awsome with Billups running a strong half court offense.

unfortunately i was in the hospital these last couple of days but just reading trillions rants i cant help but crack a smile

I understand where he is coming from going on about how aged veteran pg is not worth 14-15 mil per year for the future of the knicks because "stats don't show" he is worth the money however, i was able to watch knicks in 60 when i got home and from my assessment i feel the point about the value of billups stats aside has been missed

For all the statics and advance metrics and show its dosent show the intangibles that billiups brings to this team, as repeated before everyone agreees at his age billups is certanilty not worth that much and cerneltay not for 14-15 per but to to go off on a tangent and say he is not the correct pg for this job how so? The man sat out for quite sometime due to a deep thigh bruise came back and oghrestates our offense quite well now that he is building chemistry with the team keep in mind it took felton some time as well

This offense is predicated on ball movement and taking the best available open shot. I like the way billups sets up the half court offense/ with dribble penetration, either looking for the pnr if the defense gives it to him looks for melo or stat in the iso creates for himself then the kcik out to the open shooter, or keeps the flow of the offense at times it becomes stagnant but he always seems to make the savvy intelligent move not every possession but most....im sorry your not going to get that with TD23 he often flounders on the perimeter that's and has trouble orchestrating the offensive making sure players are in correct position to receive the ball. To me i feel he just looks for the 3 ball more than anything instead of breaking the defense down the way billups does which led to various 24 sec violations

Does Billups take ill advised shots at times , most of the times he makes them,..yes but you have to ask your self why......its to keep the opposing teams defense honest we do have a triple scoring threats in melo stat and billups he is making everyone around him thrive that's why you need him on our team, thats why i feel for the next year or two he will be fine for a reasonable price