The Jeff Van Gundy Campaign

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I said this 3 months ago and almost everyone here sinked my idea. I would WANT JEFF VAN GUNDY BACK!!!!!!

He did know what it takes to make this city a winner.

Not Happening as long as Dolan is the owner! Plus he's a defense minded coach, Jared Jefferies, Fred Jones, Q, Balkman, Collins, and Lee are the players that would fit that mold, but only one of them is a starter and Lee is the only other one that is truley starter worthy. Our core players wouldn't do well with him. Can he get Eddy to defend and rebound? Well IT couldn't and Eddy is one of Isiah's biggest allies, and he won't step up his D even to save his job! Zach I think could do well with Jeff if better defenders were around him to. Houston got criticism for not being a defender, but even he was better on D than Crawford.

Which brings to the other backcourter, you can argue that VanGundy made the playoffs with Steve Francis, so what's the difference with Steph? But Jeff had real sucess with Charlie Ward and Childs; prototypical PG's who played D. He even brought in Mark Jackson to help out in Houston showing how he likes playmaking PGs. Can he be the one to finally break through to Steph? Not likely if Larry Brown couldn't, even though he made players like Eric Snow and Billups into legit NBA point guards. And if his father figure, buddy, mentor, and NBA Legendary PG couldn't do it than why are we to believe Jeff can, because he knew him since the seventh grade? JVG is a great coach and I'd love to see him with back with the Knicks but with this team we are setting him up for failure, I'd like to see some trades made before adding Jeff.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Van Gundy is the choice for coach. Good article up by Frank in the Post today and its all true. Van Gundy will be the top of the list for Dolan. Marc Jackson will be an assistant and Patrick will join the staff next season as well. This team will be turned around quicker than expected IF this occurs.

As stated prior, Jones, Lee, Balkman, Jeffries, Richardson, Nate are the only ones on this team that show initiative to play D. and no none are starters but a trade will be made or multiple ones when the new regime come in.

Curry, Randolph, Jeffries, Richardson, Marbury will be the starting line to start with and then well see where we are at. im not saying a miracle will happen but if we have any chance to survive this needs to happen NOW. before the trade deadline.

Starks

Starter
Van Gundy is the choice for coach. Good article up by Frank in the Post today and its all true. Van Gundy will be the top of the list for Dolan. Marc Jackson will be an assistant and Patrick will join the staff next season as well. This team will be turned around quicker than expected IF this occurs.

As stated prior, Jones, Lee, Balkman, Jeffries, Richardson, Nate are the only ones on this team that show initiative to play D. and no none are starters but a trade will be made or multiple ones when the new regime come in.

Curry, Randolph, Jeffries, Richardson, Marbury will be the starting line to start with and then well see where we are at. im not saying a miracle will happen but if we have any chance to survive this needs to happen NOW. before the trade deadline.

Any word on if Van Gundy evan wants to come into this mess? I was only kidding around when I mentioned the Van Gundy Rumors in the NYKobe story

NYKnicks15

Starter
i think its in van gundy to want to coach again. im positive on that. he IS a coach even when he commentates its from a coaches perspective. i think he was really given a bad situation in Houston. not the team itself but the happenings around it. injuries and such, stuff out of his reach. so him wanting to coach and prove he can again is a definite.

now as for the new york part. its fact that he is LOVED by fans and the city of new york. youll never here van gundy get booed in the garden. he could coach the boston celtics and hed still get cheers. ive not gotten ANY word on if hed be interested though. I think he knows there is talent here and that dolan will accomodate him with the money needed or trades needed to fix this situation. as well as pay him handsomely in the mean while. van gundy has a history of working with and helping big men in the league. not saying if he didnt coach camby, ming, or dare i say ewing that theyd not be who they are today or in past times. im just saying he knows how to run the offense with a slower big man at the helm.

so.. hed want to coach. loves new york. has talent here. would be getting paid nicely. i mean its a good situation for him to approach buttttt then again with marbury drama, and high expectations to turn it around who would want that headache? i really think its 51-49... 51 being a yes. but only time will tell.

if he happens to say no though id look for rick carlisle to get a go. unless artest comes here first. mike fratello would get a look at too though. but i reallly expect marc jackson to be on the list of assistants no matter who comes in.

I hear all this talk about Mark Jackson being an assistant coach, could we sign him now as a player/coach we realy do need a true point, hell M.Rose is our best post defender M.Jackson would be our best point maby we can talk Pat into being a player/coach and we could relive the good old days!:)

mike291md

Rookie
Van Gundy for Coach

If Jeff Van Gundy wanted to come back I would take him back in a second. I always liked Van Gundy as a coach and he did a great job of filling in after Riley was gone. Van Gundy is a smart guy and won't put up with the lack of hustle and heart this team has.

However, the question is whether JVG wants to come back to NY. Sure, the fans love him, but he chose to leave NY because he was getting too stressed out with coaching a big market franchise that is the center of media attention.

Let's bring in Bobby Knight to coach the team and give him all rights to choke the living crap out of any player that doesn't listen or hustle. That's worth watching! Lets see Steph try to leave the team with Bobby Knight on the plane, lol.

I love the Bobby Knight idea, I'd love to see him grab hold of Curry , but I don't think he would get the same kind of responce from them that he does the collage kids! Love Bobby Knight but he's a great Collage Coach and should get the next big school coach opening that comes avalable so he can truley compete on the national level again!