The Official EURO 2008 thread

dre48ny

Rotation player
Portugal started with a victory, although not impressive the points count!!
Cristiano will have a better game next time

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Nice games so far, of course i'm keeping my eyes open on group C, but the first 2 days were great as hell. I'm a bit sorry for the hosts as i don't think they still stand a chance of getting out the group stage. Germany - Poland.. great game, maybe the result was a bit unfair, Poland deserved at least a goal
How about the Holland - Italy game? Damn, did anyone expected a 3-0 victory? (sure, goal one was scored from offside and then Italy got a penalty kick refused) but Holland sure is hot. I think they won't have any problems with France and they'll be in the semis on friday. If Italy plays the same, then my Romania might just have a chance at them, although after last night's game, they'll probably hunt us from the start..

dre48ny

Rotation player
Romania definitely has a chance. Italy hasn't fared well in the last editions of the Euro Cup. Sitzerland suffered a large blow with FRei's injury, great striker.

Austria might rebound.

Pricey

Rotation player
Nice games so far, of course i'm keeping my eyes open on group C, but the first 2 days were great as hell. I'm a bit sorry for the hosts as i don't think they still stand a chance of getting out the group stage. Germany - Poland.. great game, maybe the result was a bit unfair, Poland deserved at least a goal
How about the Holland - Italy game? Damn, did anyone expected a 3-0 victory? (sure, goal one was scored from offside and then Italy got a penalty kick refused) but Holland sure is hot. I think they won't have any problems with France and they'll be in the semis on friday. If Italy plays the same, then my Romania might just have a chance at them, although after last night's game, they'll probably hunt us from the start..
Actually Ruud was onside as Panucci's momentum even though he was off the pitch played Ruud onside. The ref was correct to allow it to be a goal.
I got on Holland as they were paying $3.95 for the win and they have a better side then Italy.
I think Holland or Spain will win it. Holland have so much attacking flair and Spain have a great squad, Torres and Villa upfront will be dangerous.
Damn shame England r not in it, doesnt interest me as much now.

JUNIOR MINT

Benchwarmer
Portugal gave us a beating, but their a great club though, hopefully we can get the victory against Switzerland tomorrow

Pricey

Rotation player
Portugal gave us a beating, but their a great club though, hopefully we can get the victory against Switzerland tomorrow
Portugal r cheats and i will never forgive them for Euro 2004 and WC 2006. Had to cheat to beat England. Carvahalo can die and the linesman who dissalowed Campbells legit goal can also die.
If Cristiano didnt play for Man Utd i would also hate him.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Actually Ruud was onside as Panucci's momentum even though he was off the pitch played Ruud onside. The ref was correct to allow it to be a goal.
I got on Holland as they were paying $3.95 for the win and they have a better side then Italy.
I think Holland or Spain will win it. Holland have so much attacking flair and Spain have a great squad, Torres and Villa upfront will be dangerous.
Damn shame England r not in it, doesnt interest me as much now.

Villa and Torres are beasts!! Spain was sharp against Russia. Spain always starts out well, but they don't finish strong in tourneys. This might be their year because England is not in, Italy is beatable, and France can go down. Holland, Portugal, and Spain have a great chance.

I think Sweden is a sleeper team, and of course never count out the Germans!!!!!!

Portugal r cheats and i will never forgive them for Euro 2004 and WC 2006. Had to cheat to beat England. Carvahalo can die and the linesman who dissalowed Campbells legit goal can also die.
If Cristiano didnt play for Man Utd i would also hate him.

Wake up man. We are MUCH better than you. The english national team is one of the most overrated teams in all of sports. It's only logical that they're not in Euro 2008.

Cheat? Please. That's ridiculous.

Villa and Torres are beasts!! Spain was sharp against Russia. Spain always starts out well, but they don't finish strong in tourneys. This might be their year because England is not in, Italy is beatable, and France can go down. Holland, Portugal, and Spain have a great chance.

I think Sweden is a sleeper team, and of course never count out the Germans!!!!!!

I think Germany might be the early favourite. Such a great game against Poland. They haven't got any really great players, but play exceptionally well as a unit. For me the favourites are Germany, Italy (don't count them out just yet), Portugal and Spain.

France and Holland are a tad behind, but always dangerous.

If Italy plays the same, then my Romania might just have a chance at them, although after last night's game, they'll probably hunt us from the start..

Man, you had such bad luck with the draw...it's a shame, because you have some really good players.

I always liked Romanian football. Ion Timofte, the bomber, played for my club FC Porto. As well as that god-awful Nica Panduru :D
But I loved Hagi, Popescu, Raducioiu, and that '94 squad. Adrian Ilie was magnificent, too.

Pricey

Rotation player
Wake up man. We are MUCH better than you. The english national team is one of the most overrated teams in all of sports. It's only logical that they're not in Euro 2008.

Cheat? Please. That's ridiculous.
im not saying England r better then Portugal as a whole but those 2 games England destroyed them on the pitch and should have beaten them in both games. 1st one we got disallowed a legit goal which would have out us through, 2nd game Carvahalo and Ronaldo got Rooney sent off, changed game. Still dominated play and had triple the shots on goal, lose in penalties which is lottery.
England r better then half the sides in Euro 2008, to say its logical that they r not there shows either A) u dislike England immensley or B) you know nothing about Football.

I cannot wait to see Ronaldo cry yet again when they r knocked out in the quarters or semis lol.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Man, you had such bad luck with the draw...it's a shame, because you have some really good players.

I always liked Romanian football. Ion Timofte, the bomber, played for my club FC Porto. As well as that god-awful Nica Panduru :D
But I loved Hagi, Popescu, Raducioiu, and that '94 squad. Adrian Ilie was magnificent, too.

Those were some great times but we have a pretty nice team at this euro too. Come to think about it, we always played better when we were put in a tougher group.. at euro 2000 we managed to pass with portugal over germany and england .. wouldn't count ourselves out of the tournament yet

ok, so we have the first team to be knocked off the group stage. very big game last night, a draw would have been fair but as turkey played in the second quarter they deserved the win. especially since they scored the second goal with one man down. austria will probably follow them today unless they get help from germany

@pricey. i'll have to see that play again but from what i remember it van nisterlooy was clearly in offside. doesn't change anything, holland deserved the win, no doubt about it

im not saying England r better then Portugal as a whole but those 2 games England destroyed them on the pitch and should have beaten them in both games. 1st one we got disallowed a legit goal which would have out us through, 2nd game Carvahalo and Ronaldo got Rooney sent off, changed game. Still dominated play and had triple the shots on goal, lose in penalties which is lottery.
England r better then half the sides in Euro 2008, to say its logical that they r not there shows either A) u dislike England immensley or B) you know nothing about Football.

I cannot wait to see Ronaldo cry yet again when they r knocked out in the quarters or semis lol.

Come on, that idiot Rooney got HIMSELF sent off. Last time I checked, stomping someone's crotch equals a red card.
I said it's logical they're not there, because the squad that eliminated them (Croatia) is better. No shame there, they have a nice generation of players coming along. But again: England is grossly overrated.

Pricey

Rotation player
Those were some great times but we have a pretty nice team at this euro too. Come to think about it, we always played better when we were put in a tougher group.. at euro 2000 we managed to pass with portugal over germany and england .. wouldn't count ourselves out of the tournament yet

ok, so we have the first team to be knocked off the group stage. very big game last night, a draw would have been fair but as turkey played in the second quarter they deserved the win. especially since they scored the second goal with one man down. austria will probably follow them today unless they get help from germany

@pricey. i'll have to see that play again but from what i remember it van nisterlooy was clearly in offside. doesn't change anything, holland deserved the win, no doubt about it
Yes Van Nistelrooy was in a offside position but the Italian defender who was off the pitch was still moving forward so it technically plays him onside. If the defender was not moving and Ruud touched the ball then its offside. Very technical but thats the rules and FIFA have come out and said it was the correct decision with that explanation.

Pricey

Rotation player
Come on, that idiot Rooney got HIMSELF sent off. Last time I checked, stomping someone's crotch equals a red card.
I said it's logical they're not there, because the squad that eliminated them (Croatia) is better. No shame there, they have a nice generation of players coming along. But again: England is grossly overrated.
Im unsure how ACCIDENTLY landing on someones crutch is a automatic red card. If he did it deliberatley then yes its a red but clearly he didnt look at Carvahalo when he landed. The Portugese players were a disgrace in the way they tried to get him send off, its a blight in the game when players from any team ask for cards to get players sent off.
Croatia better? im not sure about that. They beat England 3-2 in the last game of qualifying but England in the 2nd half domainated and should have qualified. yet another goal keeping howler got us knocked out, not sure what it is with England and goal keepers making errors.
England arent overated, i dont think they r a top 10 national team at all but they have the players to be one of the best in the world.
England r def better then Russia who got in ahead of them. England were very unfortunate to have half their team missing for their last 2 games of qualifying. No Rio, Terry, Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Hargreaves. U rip a national teams 2 centre backs out and the defence of any country becomes weakened.
Good luck to Portugal though, have some great players and they will go deep.
Im just happy Germany lost. OH YEAH!

Pricey

Rotation player
Thank-you my good man, & I think we put you guys in good position right? (Portugal)
Portugal r going to top the group, they r 2 from 2 and turkey and czechs have lost a game so the next result won matter unless Portugal get pumped but that wont happen.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Van Nistelrooy was in a offside position but the Italian defender who was off the pitch was still moving forward so it technically plays him onside.
You're right, i didn't noticed him being there at first only yesterday when looking for some replays.

So Austria is still in the books huh.. nice game from Poland they would have deserved the win, that penalty kick came very easy. Most likely this game left the two teams with theoretical chances of advancing. Croatia is already qualified and Germany needs the win if they don't want to depend on the other game.

As for today's game, we're ready!!!
20080612212930_we_ready_ro.jpg