Lets compare the Core of talent of teams w/ Cap Space

Who has the better Core out of 2010 cap room teams

• Total voters

New New York

Quiet Storm
Money and cap room is nice but what it comes down to is if a team is going to provide these players with a chance to win. So lets compare and contrast the cores

First lets start with out beloved Knicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

340x.jpg

Danilo Gallinari
Wilson Chandler
Eddy Curry
Toney Douglas
Bill Walker

Synopsis: We created this plan and the rest of the league followed suit! We took a huge gamble in trading away potentially two picks and a couple of All Star calliber players to dump 3 of the last four remaining Isiah cap killing contracts, so there is a lot in stake for this to work for us.

Why FA's might come/Assets:
1.Being on a championship calliber team in NY is like playing Soccer for the best team in Brazil

2. The Knicks have the room to sign two FA's! This means any FA has the potential to play with the best teamate they have ever had!

3. Despite two losing seasons, players still like Mike Dantoni, most players recognize that the past two seasons are not an indicator for how it would be to play under Mike D.

Concerns:The problem I have always had with our core is that the two biggest strengts within it play the same position and the Main target (Lebron) plays the same position as them, but all three players are versitile, Wilson can slide between the 2,3,and 4, Gallo can play the 3 and 4 and Lebron can legitimately play any position expect Center.

The other problem is that this core has no real Center, now Big Z fought off numerous injury riddled seasons at a later point in his career than Curry and he was able to salvage his career, so there is a glimmer of hope Curry can salvage his career if he is in shape. But, even a healthy Curry does not help our biggest weakness which is interior D -you could argue that Curry actually makes it worst!- This FA class has Marcus Camby who would provide major help in this department, but unless he signs for the veterens minimum, there is no chance we get him and two Max guys!

Intagiable:Curry's expiring contract could bring in another All Star calliber player or provide us with enough room to get another starter in 2011. As you may notice I included Bill Walker, you can count on Donnie picking up his option for less than a million unless the cap comes in much lower than projected. T-Mac has said he would take the veterens minimum to play w/ Two Max guys, if he improves to even 75% then we could be a very deadly team!

miami-heat-team-logo---photofile-photograph-c10109130.jpeg

Michael Beasley
Mario Chalmers
Joel Anthony
Daequan Cook

Why FA's might come:
1.Simply put they have one of those coveted FA's already on their team!

2.Simply put they have one of those coveted FA's already on their team

3. Simply put.....ok they have a little more than just that going for them! Pat Riley is still just one Superstar away from taking the team over again.

4. Having D-Wade and possible 30 million to spend means they are in far better shape then us, they could potentially sign a player like Lebron and someone like Boozer or David Lee and instantly become a contender!

Problems I see:

If Wade bolts this team is flirting with becoming as bad as The Nets! With no D Wade, no team even considers Mia.

Micheal Bealey has played ok, but not like a number 2 pick, Chalmers went from current and future starting PG his rookie season to backup on a team with no real PG the next.

derrick-rose.jpg

Derrick Rose
Joakim Noah
Luol Deng
Taj Gibson
Kirk Hinrich
James Johnson

Why FA's might come:

1.Derrick Rose is the PG of the future in the NBA!

2. If playing Ball in NY is like Playing Soccer in Brazil then Chicago is Germany!

3. Winning Record without despite not having a compliment to Rose, the right player cattipults this team to elite!

Concerns: They only have money for a literally one Max FA and that is it! If they sign a player like D-Wade or Lebron then that is it for them.

Intagiables: Taj Gibson is a nice suprise player for them. They offer D Wade a chance to come home and play along with fellow Chi-towner Derrick Rose which would make for the best backcourt the league has seen since Dumars and that other dude!

New Jersey

Why FA's might come:

1.Very very strong core of young players

2.Will be getting at least the number 4 pick this year in the draft

3.Rellocating to NY in a couple of years

Concerns:

1.They are coming off a season in which they flirted with the worst record ever!

2.Devin Harris has lost his All Star Swag

3.They would have to nab Big Time FA''s before getting a big time coach because no coach wants 60 losses on their resume, and no Big Time FA is signing there without a big time coach to assure them they wont be playing for a lottery team! SO what comes first the chicken or the egg!

Intagiable: New Arena and new ownership gives hope for a better tomorrow!

other teams

Washington-nice players, but Gilbert may have shot them in the foot (no pun intended), not really a big market either, think about it..... they have the best Hockey player in the world in Washington and he is not a household name even with guys who follow Sports! Seriously their are backup QB's who get more notice than him! Not really an optimal choice for a player like Bosh who is doesnt have respect outside of The NBA!

LAC-Probably the best core of young players, but, they are still "the other LA team" even when they are better than The Lakers, managment is a mess and their starting PG seems to be getting worst by the minute while his salary steadily increases, plus even if they sign one Max (all they have the money for) they have even more holes to fill then we do with their roster!

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
Good post. I agree with everything.

I think our only advantage is the fact we have TD, Gallo and potentially T-mac for cheap, plus room for 2 big contracts.

Are we the only team with room for 2 contracts? Even if the Nets have that much room I just can't see anyone going there after they sucked so haard this season.

Our core is undoubtedly worse than the Nets/Heat/Bulls but not by much, their only upside is already having one "star", although we have a potential star anyway in Gallo.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Chicago will be real nice if they can get Lebron or Wade, if i was either one of them I would put alotta thought into going their. They got Rose, Noah, Deng, Gibson, Hinrich, Brad Miller...i think they definitely got the best supporting cast. Rose is a top tier player himself, arguably a top 5 point guard

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Chicago takes the cake because of Rose and Noah.

We have 2 plusses in Curry's expiring and enough for 2 MFAs as we all know but that uncertainty still lingers. What's gonna happen? Walker, Gallo, Chandler and The Neophyte provide solid and young pieces but NJ and Chicago are the only 2 with legit centers.

If we did sign 2 MAX FAs, there'd be plenty of vets looking to ride the wave of success in the hoop mecca, but again, no 5.

Good thread dude. I likes it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If we can offer Lebron a Bosh or Wade to play along then we win easily. It all depends on what two we can sign. We have the potential to beat any second option out there except if Wade stays in Miami.

clumsy

Rotation player
Clips have the best core. It's not even close

A passfirst PG that can run or play halfcourt and a beast Center. A good SG and supposed beast in Blake Griffin.

If you had a certified Number one option in Lebron that team is unstoppable on offense.

New New York

Quiet Storm
An intangiable for Washington I failed to state is that they do have a realistic shot at voiding Gilbert's contract.....if that happens they could sign two Max guys

New New York

Quiet Storm
Chicago will be real nice if they can get Lebron or Wade, if i was either one of them I would put alotta thought into going their. They got Rose, Noah, Deng, Gibson, Hinrich, Brad Miller...i think they definitely got the best supporting cast. Rose is a top tier player himself, arguably a top 5 point guard

Chicago takes the cake because of Rose and Noah.

I agree with both of you! As a fan of the NBA I really want to see D Wade go there because that would be great for the league! Imagine if we get 2 max guys (the right two) and D Wade goes to Chicago, you would have Boston,NY and Chicago all Championship calliber teams which would be a dream for David Stern!

If we can offer Lebron a Bosh or Wade to play along then we win easily. It all depends on what two we can sign. We have the potential to beat any second option out there except if Wade stays in Miami.

I feel bad saying this because I like David so much, but I really hope we can nab Bosh and Lebron. But who signs first? This is similar to what I said about NJ and their coaching situation, I mean Bosh will bounce in a New York minute if we get Lebron to come here, but Lebron is going to want to know that NY has his that other Max player

I mean common sense would suggest they will talk way before July 1st about linking up in NY.....but supposedly Baron Davis and Elton Brand had the same hand shake sort of agreement about joining LAC!

But just imagine

Douglas
Wilson
Gallo
Lebron
Bosh

bench
Walker
T-Mac
Curry
Giddens or Bender

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
The Bulls got life good. Future superstar PG in Derrick Rose. A crazed but good center in Joakim Noah. And then a very dependable Luol Deng, who at one point in his career was almost the reason for Kobe to go to Chicago. You add a Joe Johnson, Cb4, Flash, or the Akron Hammer to this team and they are instant contenders.

The Knicks got lucky that Beasley has not lived up to his potential so far. This guy has Melo written all over him, yet he only plays up to par in spurts. Had he been dominating now, Miami would probably be the number one destination for Bosh.

The Nets have a great building block in Lopez, but I can't really see them getting anyone amazing in free agency. I think the best player they could get is Lee and someone else.

And Washington and the Clips will end up pulling a "Joe Dumars" that is overpaying to pereniall bench players lol.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
I mean common sense would suggest they will talk way before July 1st about linking up in NY.....

You would think, wouldn't you? I mean, it can't be that they aren't even talking about and are just going to start thinking about it on July 1.

And I am sure that Donnie and D'Antoni have some inside info on intents.

97 more days to go....

New New York

Quiet Storm
You would think, wouldn't you? I mean, it can't be that they aren't even talking about and are just going to start thinking about it on July 1.

And I am sure that Donnie and D'Antoni have some inside info on intents.

97 more days to go....

I hope so! I think for sure Dantoni wouldve bolted by now if he did not have confidence that this plan will work and like that ESPN article stated, Donnie would not have traded away two picks just to move Jefferies if he didnt think he could nab two players.

Only time will tell!

New New York

Quiet Storm
The Bulls got life good. Future superstar PG in Derrick Rose. A crazed but good center in Joakim Noah. And then a very dependable Luol Deng, who at one point in his career was almost the reason for Kobe to go to Chicago. You add a Joe Johnson, Cb4, Flash, or the Akron Hammer to this team and they are instant contenders.

The Knicks got lucky that Beasley has not lived up to his potential so far. This guy has Melo written all over him, yet he only plays up to par in spurts. Had he been dominating now, Miami would probably be the number one destination for Bosh.

The Nets have a great building block in Lopez, but I can't really see them getting anyone amazing in free agency. I think the best player they could get is Lee and someone else.

And Washington and the Clips will end up pulling a "Joe Dumars" that is overpaying to pereniall bench players lol.

I never got Why Dumars made those moves last off season considering they were in position to have the most cap room this off season when the FA class was better.....his old backcourt mate must have been advising him on that!

paris401

Starter
An intangiable for Washington I failed to state is that they do have a realistic shot at voiding Gilbert's contract.....if that happens they could sign two Max guys

sorry but gotta disagree... there is no chance of them voiding his contract... and that was before todays sentencing where he received no jail time...

pretty shitty situation for the 'bullets'... u give a guy 100m contract, he gets arrested and convicted/pleas to a felony, and u can't void his contract... i'll bet during the next CBA, the language is toughened up

smokes

Huge Member
sorry but gotta disagree... there is no chance of them voiding his contract... and that was before todays sentencing where he received no jail time...

pretty shitty situation for the 'bullets'... u give a guy 100m contract, he gets arrested and convicted/pleas to a felony, and u can't void his contract... i'll bet during the next CBA, the language is toughened up

I don't understand how this is even possible. Sports contracts are just so messed up really. Being a sports celebrity in America is almost a get out of jail free card... Rape women? Murder your ex? Pull guns on teammates? No problem guys, you're a professional USA sports star!

Kiyaman

Legend
Great Post....b/c it also have imformation on why alot of top FA will turn down the top teams with the most cap-space.

Chicago not resigning Ben Gordon put them right back in the seat that Micheal Jordan departure left them in. Derrik Rose might walk after his rookie contract.

Washington got inside snitches....will be a bottom team for the next decade if they dont draft well.

LAC has not change since entering the NBA.

New York is a question mark to all NBA players.

New Jersey have to find an experience NBA headcoach and assistant coach, plus sign a "PF & SF" out of the FA market. This will not be difficult for G.M. Kiki and President Rod Thorn.

Miami Miami Miami the place where D.Wade will be interviewing the best FA.