ESPN Insider: Lin vs. Felton

skisloper

Starter
Don't think I posed a single "what if" but lets talk facts?

Ok answer my question about Lin...how has he improved this year over last year? He still can not drive left, when he goes left he will either pull up and shoot, pass, or go back right! tell me one other NBA Starting PG with this fundamental problem!

Felton thrived in both Woodson and Dantoni's systems...uptempo and a grind game Felton is better

Felton is a better ball handler

Lin is a scoring PG but he sucks at shooting the ball and creating his own shot, he can not take a man off the dribble as good as Raymond can

Again Lin averages just 6 assist a game in the 2nd highest scoring offense in The NBA

Neither is my end all at the PG spot...but no way we have the record we have if Lin was our point!

As a Knick fan I certainly want more from Ray like most of you want, but we for sure would be demanding more for Lin if he
re-upped here this past summer. If he was giving us 12 and 6 and the numbers he is giving Hou. there would be Chris Paul thread and goofy ideas about how to get him here everyday!

Raymond is simply a good enough PG...nothing more...nothing less.

Houston would gladly trade Lin for either of the two PG's that they let go to sign Lin (Dragic and Lowry) Regardless of what they say they are not happy with Lin's production

I agree that Felton is good enough. I again put the blame on Woodson for not using Prigioni more and allowing Felton not to play 36 minutes a game.

There are many PG;s I would take over Lin and Felton.

I would rather have LIN as my starter then Felton as I feel his overall game is better and most important makes a team better.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Who's better for this team?

Felton

why

1. Our players trust him
2. Our coach trusts him
3. He's cheaper and even more productive
4. He doesn't come with the side-show, not Lin's fault but still
5. He can go left and handle pressure

Now Lin is a better defender but really thats it, Felton has better rapport with Chandler, Carmelo, Earl, STAT, Novak, Shumpert...etc than Lin did who really only looked for Fields with consistency

We got their buddy-buddy asses out of New York, both got over paid and our team is better with both of them gone

Felton>Lin for the Knicks and thats all the matters

skisloper

Starter
Who's better for this team?

Felton

why

1. Our players trust him
2. Our coach trusts him
3. He's cheaper and even more productive
4. He doesn't come with the side-show, not Lin's fault but still
5. He can go left and handle pressure

Now Lin is a better defender but really thats it, Felton has better rapport with Chandler, Carmelo, Earl, STAT, Novak, Shumpert...etc than Lin did who really only looked for Fields with consistency

We got their buddy-buddy asses out of New York, both got over paid and our team is better with both of them gone

Felton>Lin for the Knicks and thats all the matters

The only players that seem to have issue with Lin is Melo and Smith......Shocker there.......I do not think Lin did anything on his own to warrent that ........For Melo and Smith that was just jealousy as silly as that is....

Our coach trusts him ?????? Come on why would Woodson not trust Lin.......That falls in line with the Melo/Smith comment......Woodson was all for bringing LIn back but we all agree the money was not worth it....

Kidd would have been a perfect mentor for LIn....and I am sure between Tyson and Kidd Lin would have been just fine.

All and all Knicks did the best move they could with their dollars and landed Felton......Of course the other dollars on Rasheed and Camby seem to be a big waste and nobody is ever healthy....

The question originated with who is better.....

If you were starting an NBA franchise and had to take a PG as your first pick and it was between Lin and Felton...I would take LIN

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Sheed isn't a big deal since his deal is only a year long.

But signing Novak to a four-year deal for 4 million a year was stupid. Giving Felton a four-year deal was stupid. We gave Camby a three-year deal, and he's been hurt the entire time. With the money we gave Felton, Camby, and Novak, we could've easily afforded to have Jeremy Lin on this team, especially if you add in the hype. It just wasn't going to happen, though. I still think that giving Novak a four-year deal at four million a year to do nothing but hit wide-open 3-point shots was kind of stupid and probably the only really dumb move that Grunwald made...the others are at least understandable, even if they're not smart.

Still though, Lin is definitely the better player right now, and will only get better with time. He has to share the backcourt with a PG who also brings up the ball so he's not even the main distributor on the team and he's still averaging a ton of assists. He's a much better defender, a more efficient scorer, and he gets to the free throw line. He's a comparable shooter as well...Felton's shooting is extremely streaky, while Lin on the other hand has shown many signs of improvement. He went from being a bad 3-point shooter to being an average 3-point shooter next year, and given the fact that Lin has a good work ethic, he'll probably do what David Lee did and find a way to improve a major skill every single year.

Just like David Lee went from being a 57.7% free throw shooter who couldn't hit a mid-range shot to make his life to an 80% free throw shooter and one of the best mid-range big men in the game, Lin's probably going to be hitting 3-pointers at 40% by this time next season while cutting down on his TO's. Felton, on the other hand, is only going to regress.

We made the mistake of thinking that last year was a down year for Felton and that he was going to bounce back. Instead, his numbers this year are basically identical to those from last year, which isn't really a good trend. It looks like last year wasn't a down year for Felton, he's just on the downside of his career and last year is just an example of what he's going to do every year from now on.

Damn, that sucks ass, but we can't do anything about it now.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This is a great point.

No, it's not, because it fails to mention that Jeremy Lin isn't the only one who brings the ball up for the Rockets! FFS James Harden has 5.7 assists on that team because he's also a playmaker! If Jeremy Lin were the sole playmaker on the team then he'd obviously be averaging much higher, but that's not the case since he has to share the backcourt with Harden!

The Knicks on the other hand only have one playmaker on the team since Kidd plays SG nowadays and doesn't usually bring the ball up the court anymore. Lin is making the best out of a bad situation - he's on a team with a ball-dominant Swingman in James Harden as opposed to having an offense centered around him. Instead of being a PG he's primarily a spot-up shooter who camps on the wing since Harden does a lot of the ball-handling and playmaking. The fact that he averages 6.2 assists is miraculous since he's pretty much playing as a SG

hard to say. If you mean best for the team/organization I'll say Felton. One on one is the only way to know who is better. As of now, I think Lin may have that edge because of his athletism, but felton might be able to exploit Lin's handle and make it hard for Lin to find his spot. I think if Felton slim down a bit, he'll improve his speed and all around game. Still, I've seen more Felton than I've seen of Lin, he had an extremely rare breakout season last year that saved his carrear, Perhaps Felton will have the same one day if he commits himself fully to the game.

New New York

Quiet Storm
No, it's not, because it fails to mention that Jeremy Lin isn't the only one who brings the ball up for the Rockets!

What does that say about his coaches confidence in him? It's safe to say Chris Paul would handle the ball more if he were a Rocket!

And to the point of the Thread so would Felton!!!!

smokes

Huge Member
What does that say about his coaches confidence in him? It's safe to say Chris Paul would handle the ball more if he were a Rocket!

This is possibly the most ridiculous point ever.

Harden was the primary ball handler on OKC when he was playing the 6th man role AHEAD of Durant and Westbrick.

skisloper

Starter

Harden brings up the Ball alot for the rockets.
Yes if Chris Paul was a Rocket he would.
Paul > Lin
Paul>felton
Lin>Felton

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Lin is a better player than Felton. He suffers greatly from playing with a player as ball dominating as Harden. He could easily average 7-8 assists in a system that played to his strengths.

smokes

Huge Member
Lin is a better player than Felton. He suffers greatly from playing with a player as ball dominating as Harden. He could easily average 7-8 assists in a system that played to his strengths.

As of this moment yeah but it has fluctuated. Obviously we're all down on Felton right now because of his injuries and slumps but at the start of the season I doubt there were many here who had Lin over Felton when Lin had a 1.5/1 TO ratio and playing like junk.

Felton right now barring injuries has the tools to be better than Lin in most areas. Lin has the advantage defensively because he is bigger and more athletic, if Felton had good footwork however he could match Lin on defense because of his speed, agility and quickness.

I would also put Felton's shooting ability above Lin although he has been appalling as of late. There is no doubt Felton is quicker and stronger than Lin. Lin is more durable and has more potential to improve. Felton has shown his ceiling (2010 Felton) and we can only hope he returns to that level of ability.

To be fair it's pretty even between the two and they are both streaky players. Right now Lin is clearly better. 4 months ago Felton was clearly better. A month from now, next season, only time will tell.

metrocard

Legend

imCm7arjdHjch.gif

Kiyaman

Legend
Jeremy Lin's skills make a JOKE out of Felton's talent....

Agreed. But the question was who is better.......

Jeremy Lin is the better PG by a huge margin 70-30 over Felton, especially as a New York Knicks.
The pressure of "LinSanity" did not stop or slow Lin down from complimenting his teammates best strengths.

I have NO-Luv for Tyson Chandler's and JR negative remarks on Lin in the 2012 offseason, both were huggin tight on Melo jock-strap with those remarks.
Melo want the ball walked up court 98% of the time for a halfcourt set of Iso-Melo.
Lin is an uptempo defensive-transition PG that can make all kinds of passes off his dribble while running.
Lin did the impossible running our point, by getting consistent double-diget scoring out of Tyson, Jefferies, Fields, Shump, Novak, and the SG we cut to sign JR. Felton's 8 season career never had those type of qualities in his talent...

Kiyaman

Legend
One season of "Kidd & Brewer backcourt" would have been the perfect "Tutors" to make a Lin & Shump backcourt into NBA contenders.

Felton & JR are fix in their ways making them Pretenders...

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Jeremy Lin is the better PG by a huge margin 70-30 over Felton, especially as a New York Knicks.
The pressure of "LinSanity" did not stop or slow Lin down from complimenting his teammates best strengths.

I don't feel Lin faced any real pressure due to "Linsanity" last season in NY.

He was an unknown, had no expectations and didn't have to worry about trying to please superstars or gel with guys like Melo since he was injured when Lin got his shot.

If Lin came in and completely sucked no one would of criticized him at all.....he had no expectations and once he started playing good his hot streak could of ended at any time and the only thing that would of been said was "Wow what a great story, never expected a guy like Lin to make any type of impact! " etc .......

Now fast forward to this season.....if Lin was retained by the Knicks there would be enormous expectations after signing a significant contract and being expected to start and run this offense.

Im not saying Lin couldn't of been capable to handle the expectations if he was still a Knick, but no question the pressure would be very high compared to last season where he had no expectations and everything was just icing on the cake.

Sent from my LG-P999

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

That is absolutely ridiculous. Felton would not be the primary ball-handler on a team that has James Harden...GTFO of here with that crap.