Van Gundy on D'antoni

Blumatic

Rotation player
I heard it on the Michael Kay Show. Michael Kay doesnt believe D'antoni should be fired but he think Mike is not that good of a coach and the the Knicks should not be a 21 win team by now.

This is from a ESPN forum who pretty much got the interview right.

Van Gundy's ownage of Kay:

From ESPNRadio (paraphrased):

-"You don't win 60+ games and play poor defense. The Suns never played great defense, but they were middle of the road and that was enough with their elite offense."

-"You really can't coach effort. Walsh had a plan that he's pulled off miraculously and of course, not every player is going to be that excited about it and really pull together for the team."

-"The Suns had a Championship level team but caught some tough breaks throughout the years."

-"You can win with an uptempo system, but the best teams of all-time have been able to play at any style of play."

-"The Knicks current team is being dragged down by dead weight. I feel for D'Antoni because, even though the plan is good, it's hard to deal with this losing...especially when you're coming from an elite team like the Suns."

-"The Knicks will need inside defense next season regardless of who they get (Lebron or Wade). Maybe they'd be better off getting one max player and then a good PG and C to play with him."

LOL at Michael Kay hyping up Curry! "If he plays like he did a few years ago, he'd give the Knicks exactly what they need down low (interior defense)." This fool knows nothing about the NBA!! Why am I listening to him? Van Gundy immediately put Kay in his place about Curry's limitations.

-"The plan to get under the cap is solid and there doesn't need to be blame here. It's been well-executed up until now and they just need to get those elite guys."

-"This team IS as bad as it's record (mocking Kay). They have no defensive presence inside, Duhon has been awful, Harrington/Chandler/Gallo/Lee are not even 2nd tier guys on a Championship level team. THEY ARE EXACTLY WHERE THEY SHOULD BE RECORD-WISE."

Michael Kay pretty much owned by Van Gundy, though not very difficult.

Starks

Starter
Valid points indeed. I won't take that away. I do agree with most of the comments, but Michael Kay has been a public nuisance for quite sometime.

He is one of the worst baseball broadcasters NYC has ever seen next to Suzy "ROJAAAAA CLEMENZ!!!" Waldman. He is a human propaganda machine for the Yes Network and his coverage of the Yanks is totally obnoxious. He reminds of Baghdad Bob. Remember him from the early stages of the second Iraqi war?

Point is, consider the source of where this comes from because these fools need to stop dishing criticism out so freely when they are worthy of the same. With Mike Brown calling out Mike D and now this douchebag, its just a matter of pigs throwing shit at each other.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'll take Van Gundy's knowledge over any blowhard in the media. Kay is a jackass. And Mike Brown should keep his mouth shut about coaching. His entire playbook is "give the ball to Lebron".

Blumatic

Rotation player
I'll take Van Gundy's knowledge over any blowhard in the media. Kay is a jackass. And Mike Brown should keep his mouth shut about coaching. His entire playbook is "give the ball to Lebron".

I know Mike Brown preaches defense. But how good of a coach peopel on this board would say he is without Lebron James.

whats most hilarious to me, is if you look back at my posts being a dantonisexual as you wanna call it, and supporting mike d in every hate mr pringles post ever made, I stated the exactly almost verbatim word for word analysis as JVG. So shove it haters, like i said this team sucks, they have nothing to provide a winning caliber recipe for success, and Mike D is being dragged through the mud by the media such as M Kay, For JVG mr defense himself to recognize this and recognize that the suns lacking defense was a factor of their persons who suit up every not, not the coach on the side line "you cant coach effort" only supports my position even further.

DOnt tell me another word about Mike D being a piss poor coach, no body could push this team to win consistently.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
No, they should have got the 8th or 7th spot

I heard it on the Michael Kay Show. Michael Kay doesnt believe D'antoni should be fired but he think Mike is not that good of a coach and the the Knicks should not be a 21 win team by now.

This is from a ESPN forum who pretty much got the interview right.

Van Gundy's ownage of Kay:

From ESPNRadio (paraphrased):

-"You don't win 60+ games and play poor defense. The Suns never played great defense, but they were middle of the road and that was enough with their elite offense."

-"You really can't coach effort. Walsh had a plan that he's pulled off miraculously and of course, not every player is going to be that excited about it and really pull together for the team."

-"The Suns had a Championship level team but caught some tough breaks throughout the years."

-"You can win with an uptempo system, but the best teams of all-time have been able to play at any style of play."

-"The Knicks current team is being dragged down by dead weight. I feel for D'Antoni because, even though the plan is good, it's hard to deal with this losing...especially when you're coming from an elite team like the Suns."

-"The Knicks will need inside defense next season regardless of who they get (Lebron or Wade). Maybe they'd be better off getting one max player and then a good PG and C to play with him."

LOL at Michael Kay hyping up Curry! "If he plays like he did a few years ago, he'd give the Knicks exactly what they need down low (interior defense)." This fool knows nothing about the NBA!! Why am I listening to him? Van Gundy immediately put Kay in his place about Curry's limitations.

-"The plan to get under the cap is solid and there doesn't need to be blame here. It's been well-executed up until now and they just need to get those elite guys."

-"This team IS as bad as it's record (mocking Kay). They have no defensive presence inside, Duhon has been awful, Harrington/Chandler/Gallo/Lee are not even 2nd tier guys on a Championship level team. THEY ARE EXACTLY WHERE THEY SHOULD BE RECORD-WISE."

Michael Kay pretty much owned by Van Gundy, though not very difficult.

Marbury, Curry, Robinson (pine for month), Hughes (top of league in steals, always known as a top defensive player) starts in December and has Knicks with their best December in near thirty years. Then team chemistry and any optimism playing for this team went away. Not only did I write that D'Antoni showed a power hungry by starting Duhon 50 games and sitting Douglas, Robinson and Hughes (in the dog house), he wasted a chance at the playoffs and worst, showed that this is a coach that Hughes good friend probably has no interest. And you can bet that Marbury Curry (loosing 40 lbs for DNP?), Robinson, and Hughes are giving it straight. Even Harrington and Lee, Harrington deserves to start, he is the leading scorer, and Lee, the Knicks showed their appreciation with a one year deal, now, one or two top tiers, and you can't keep Lee, for his price went up. One, let's see who will even come here, Second, if you get one or two, I have no idea who the other three players are going to be to get this to a .500 team. Any superstar has a better surrounding cast where they are at. Players don't like change. D'Antoni messed with Nate, a fan favorite, like a high school coach (his brothers only experience, maybe that was the input). Then the rest of the list. All were not expected to be here next year, why go out and get all that press that there is arguments going on with the team and coach and GM. The crap should be out of the way, second week of preseason.
Hughes pulled him out of the worst start, played good Defense, started, then pulls a quad and misses three starts and has to DNP a month? A 12 year veteran has many contacts, Harrington deserves to start, but this coach is quoted in the NY Daily news saying that Duhon is his favorite player and that David Lee is coming close, for he flew to his grandfathers funeral and rented a jet. Des Lee was a billionaire (and good bball player in the 40's) David could have rented the jet even if he never played pro a year. Des lee son in law (I believe), Andy Taylor, owns Enterprise Rent a Car (another billionaire). Just the comment, my favorite players, to a newpaper, makes you gag when you see Duhon start 50 games. Well he did score 24 point that one time. That was the whole month of February. Started everygame until T-Mac came in and saved the franchise. Damaged goods, Knicks got burned, Draft pick Hill, bust, not held accountable, no progress in win column in two years, bust, no deep playoffs in 24 months, D"Antoni will still be coaching Gallo and Duhon, but in Italy, perfect for a guy from West Virginia. Clock is ticking, he wanted the money instead of Chicago and a better cast, now he has to live up to it and his and Walsh's stock is dropping fast. :afro:

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Anybody that saw games in December saw what the team was capable of,

whats most hilarious to me, is if you look back at my posts being a dantonisexual as you wanna call it, and supporting mike d in every hate mr pringles post ever made, I stated the exactly almost verbatim word for word analysis as JVG. So shove it haters, like i said this team sucks, they have nothing to provide a winning caliber recipe for success, and Mike D is being dragged through the mud by the media such as M Kay, For JVG mr defense himself to recognize this and recognize that the suns lacking defense was a factor of their persons who suit up every not, not the coach on the side line "you cant coach effort" only supports my position even further.

DOnt tell me another word about Mike D being a piss poor coach, no body could push this team to win consistently.

So drafting Hill was good? Kid could not play in highschool due to poor grades. Top ten draft pick on the this team does not contribute? Poor GM and Coach. Starting Duhon 50 games at 35 plus minutes, poor coaching.
Playing headgames with players gone at the end of year anyway and giving up wins by leaving Duhon in for 70% of year, POOR COACH. Staff includes brother with only high school coaching experience POOR COACH. Smiles when loosing, POOR COACH. Half the league's coaches could get more out of this team, this guy can't even take an good time out. Hey, he rode Nash's coat-tails. That is becoming very evident. Phoenix is still winning.
He has two years in and the record is worse than previous years. For being the highest paid coach in the year, where is the progress? Where is the talent choices with trades. Where is the attraction with the freak show this year with Robinson. Harrington, not enough action in practice, so your leading scorer (until Lee passed him) had to sit the first 5-6 minutes on the bench. That's why he is the number one scoring 6th man. Maybe you may want another 3-5 points in those five to six minutes? POOR COACH, high school crap again. Not only did he cook the Knicks, he has cooked himself. Not a player's coach with Nate DNP'd for a month for shooting at one basket and talking to Howard before a game, then Duhon getting 3 points in three games. Then he is on the court talking to Nash for 10 minutes before a game, laughing, having a good time. Double standard, lead by example. POOR COACH. Could have used Hughes defense, can out play Duhon and has lead a team to the finals playing point (not his position, he is a 2 guard). Hughes played right through Detroit and Billips and took the top player assignment in everygame played, took Kobe, Lebron, every top player, why, Hughes game is defense. Then the headgames, oh shit, just what we need when trying to attract players. Look at the wins after Nate and Hughes left, worst team in the league. No curb appeal here for many years my friend. Your going to have to go to Italy to see your coach in 24 months, with, quote, "The best shooter he ever saw in his life, Gallo". Ya right, to bad he can't dribble or play defense after two years and is more streaky than a dollar gallon of paint and Duhon starting everygame and putting in 35 minutes. How about some explanations on that? Duhon, Robinson, Harrington, Marbury, Curry, Hughes, Hill? Looks like a coach not getting along with about half the bench, press is writing that now also, we got problems, real big problems, that money will not solve. This is beyond money. You want to play for this headgamer, or Michael Jordan? Who you think wants to WIN? Think Jordan or Larry Brown is laughing after a loss in a press conference? That crap doesn't fly with players either, especially when they are riding pine and want to win and see a looser or a guy with a terrible night, just left in for the whole game. Did you watch this season, go to games? I watched or attended, every single game. Listened to opposing announcers. This guy was called out, the only Knicks announcer was Walt, the others to afraid for their job. Why screw with a great friend of Lebrons? Just W.Virginia, back hills, DUMB and COCKY.:afro:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Did JVG actually say Lee would be a bench player on a championship team?
I'd agree with JVG on that...Lee was a product of the poor talent level on our team. There is no doubt Lee is an excellent player, but his stats are a bit inflated this year. I'd be surprised to see him in future all-star games. When taking a look at a championship team like the Lakers, Spurs, Cavs or Celtics, see where he fits in here:

Lakers: Gasol, Bynum and Odom are all better than Lee. Some can make the argument that Lee is better than Odom, but Odom is so valuable to any team. He lacks the effort at time, but he has the physical tools to be a top tier player in the NBA. 6'10, can rebound, shoot and even handle the ball like a point guard. Very versatile.

Spurs: I wouldn't necessarily consider them a contender anymore, but Lee would be the center for the Spurs of the past (minus 03' and 99' of course...those were the David Robinson years). They won with Fabricio Oberto...and granted they did play against a non-championship caliber Cavs team..I don't know...Point being, if it weren't for Robinson's retirement, Lee would have been the 6th man on that team as well.

Celtics: Garnett, Perkins. Both those guys bring the kind of defense that Doc loves. Perkins is a bit handicapped offensively, but as a Celdick hater, I even have to agree that he is an enforcer in the paint.

Cavs: Jamison and Shaq definitely get the nod there. Although Jamison is not as decorated as Lee, Jamison has averaged around 20 and 10 for quite some time. Very underrated and very serviceable.

My point is, Lee is VERY good. He deserved the All-Star spot THIS year because of how well he played for this short-handed Knicks team. He deserves all the credit in the world. But if you were to put Lee on a contender, I'm not sure he'd get the nod.

Red

TYPE-A
Yeah, he was saying much of what is written here but you forgot about 1 part...

Kay said something like, "but Jeff these guy's aren't even trying, no effort, they're giving up... no pride etc...
Isn't that on the coach?"Jeff replied...

"Well it's not like I watch the Knicks that much, so is that what you see..."

Then Jeff explains about fatigue and it happens- coaches know this, but over 4 to 5 days is too much etc... people gotta step up....

all in all it and the 10am show said everything we discuss from both sides. I was trying to get some to listen in live. IDK if there is a podcast that you can go and listen.

Red

TYPE-A
Sh*t got me LMFAO!!!!!!

So drafting Hill was good? Kid could not play in highschool due to poor grades. Top ten draft pick on the this team does not contribute? Poor GM and Coach. Starting Duhon 50 games at 35 plus minutes, poor coaching.
Playing headgames with players gone at the end of year anyway and giving up wins by leaving Duhon in for 70% of year, POOR COACH. Staff includes brother with only high school coaching experience POOR COACH. Smiles when loosing, POOR COACH. Half the league's coaches could get more out of this team, this guy can't even take an good time out. Hey, he rode Nash's coat-tails. That is becoming very evident. Phoenix is still winning.

He has two years in and the record is worse than previous years. For being the highest paid coach in the year, where is the progress? Where is the talent choices with trades. Where is the attraction with the freak show this year with Robinson. Harrington, not enough action in practice, so your leading scorer (until Lee passed him) had to sit the first 5-6 minutes on the bench. That's why he is the number one scoring 6th man. Maybe you may want another 3-5 points in those five to six minutes? POOR COACH, high school crap again. Not only did he cook the Knicks, he has cooked himself. Not a player's coach with Nate DNP'd for a month for shooting at one basket and talking to Howard before a game, then Duhon getting 3 points in three games. Then he is on the court talking to Nash for 10 minutes before a game, laughing, having a good time. Double standard, lead by example. POOR COACH. Could have used Hughes defense, can out play Duhon and has lead a team to the finals playing point (not his position, he is a 2 guard). Hughes played right through Detroit and Billips and took the top player assignment in everygame played, took Kobe, Lebron, every top player, why, Hughes game is defense. Then the headgames, oh shit, just what we need when trying to attract players.
Ahh man.... I'm crying....LMAO early

Kiyaman

Legend
JVG is selling himself with that comment

I have alot of likes and dislikes for JVG as a coach....I will admit that he learned alot from Pat Riley and Don Nelson b/c he showed to be one of the best "Coach to Player" relationship headcoaches in the NBA.
JVG coached to his players best-talents getting more out of his players than his players knew they had. He had more confidence in his players than they had in themselves.

I had luv JVG as the Knicks headcoach untill.....he took his coaching to a personal level by DNP "Spree & Camby" b/c it took two of his Pet players "Starks & Oakley" to attain them.
When G.M. Ernie Grunfield could not take any more of JVG's DNP of Spree & Camby, he personally walked up on JVG and punched him dead in the face which resulted in G.M. Ernie Grunfield getting FIRED the next day.
Owner Dolan traveled with the team and attended every regular season game after firing G.M. Ernie Grunfield, where JVG had to give "Spree & Camby" 30 mpg for the rest of the season.
The Knicks made the 8th slot in the playoffs, and took it all the way to the FINALS.
Case in point, when the highest paid player on the Knicks Larry Hughes made the comment of Dantoni refuse to talk with him, that was the "RED-FLAG" for Walsh to show-up at every game to make Dantoni give "C-Darko, PF-Hill, Hughes, and Nate" decent playingtime to fit into the rotation.

There have to be a very good reason for JVG to aim the 20 win Knicks (or blame it) on the lowering of the salary-cap (2010-Plan) and the caliber of the Knick players. When his brother headcoach SVG called both Walsh & Dantoni complete "IDIOTS" last season.

p0nder

Starter
I have alot of likes and dislikes for JVG as a coach....I will admit that he learned alot from Pat Riley and Don Nelson b/c he showed to be one of the best "Coach to Player" relationship headcoaches in the NBA.
JVG coached to his players best-talents getting more out of his players than his players knew they had. He had more confidence in his players than they had in themselves.

I had luv JVG as the Knicks headcoach untill.....he took his coaching to a personal level by DNP "Spree & Camby" b/c it took two of his Pet players "Starks & Oakley" to attain them.
When G.M. Ernie Grunfield could not take any more of JVG's DNP of Spree & Camby, he personally walked up on JVG and punched him dead in the face which resulted in G.M. Ernie Grunfield getting FIRED the next day.
Owner Dolan traveled with the team and attended every regular season game after firing G.M. Ernie Grunfield, where JVG had to give "Spree & Camby" 30 mpg for the rest of the season.
The Knicks made the 8th slot in the playoffs, and took it all the way to the FINALS.
Case in point, when the highest paid player on the Knicks Larry Hughes made the comment of Dantoni refuse to talk with him, that was the "RED-FLAG" for Walsh to show-up at every game to make Dantoni give "C-Darko, PF-Hill, Hughes, and Nate" decent playingtime to fit into the rotation.

There have to be a very good reason for JVG to aim the 20 win Knicks (or blame it) on the lowering of the salary-cap (2010-Plan) and the caliber of the Knick players. When his brother headcoach SVG called both Walsh & Dantoni complete "IDIOTS" last season.

Wow did this happen? did JVG actually get punched in the head by Grunfield? i would of loved to see that confrontation....

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Marbury, Curry, Robinson (pine for month), Hughes (top of league in steals, always known as a top defensive player) starts in December and has Knicks with their best December in near thirty years. Then team chemistry and any optimism playing for this team went away. Not only did I write that D'Antoni showed a power hungry by starting Duhon 50 games and sitting Douglas, Robinson and Hughes (in the dog house), he wasted a chance at the playoffs and worst, showed that this is a coach that Hughes good friend probably has no interest. And you can bet that Marbury Curry (loosing 40 lbs for DNP?), Robinson, and Hughes are giving it straight. Even Harrington and Lee, Harrington deserves to start, he is the leading scorer, and Lee, the Knicks showed their appreciation with a one year deal, now, one or two top tiers, and you can't keep Lee, for his price went up. One, let's see who will even come here, Second, if you get one or two, I have no idea who the other three players are going to be to get this to a .500 team. Any superstar has a better surrounding cast where they are at. Players don't like change. D'Antoni messed with Nate, a fan favorite, like a high school coach (his brothers only experience, maybe that was the input). Then the rest of the list. All were not expected to be here next year, why go out and get all that press that there is arguments going on with the team and coach and GM. The crap should be out of the way, second week of preseason.
Hughes pulled him out of the worst start, played good Defense, started, then pulls a quad and misses three starts and has to DNP a month? A 12 year veteran has many contacts, Harrington deserves to start, but this coach is quoted in the NY Daily news saying that Duhon is his favorite player and that David Lee is coming close, for he flew to his grandfathers funeral and rented a jet. Des Lee was a billionaire (and good bball player in the 40's) David could have rented the jet even if he never played pro a year. Des lee son in law (I believe), Andy Taylor, owns Enterprise Rent a Car (another billionaire). Just the comment, my favorite players, to a newpaper, makes you gag when you see Duhon start 50 games. Well he did score 24 point that one time. That was the whole month of February. Started everygame until T-Mac came in and saved the franchise. Damaged goods, Knicks got burned, Draft pick Hill, bust, not held accountable, no progress in win column in two years, bust, no deep playoffs in 24 months, D"Antoni will still be coaching Gallo and Duhon, but in Italy, perfect for a guy from West Virginia. Clock is ticking, he wanted the money instead of Chicago and a better cast, now he has to live up to it and his and Walsh's stock is dropping fast. :afro:

From Jerry Colangelo:

“My experience in the league over 40 years is that when teams aren’t winning, players don’t take the kind of responsibility they should for their own situation and they ran off on someone else. Usually it’s the coach,” Colangelo said. “I’ve heard that ad infinitum, about lack of communication, a lack of direction, ‘I don’t know my role.’ We could repeat that a million times. I’ve heard it. But you don’t hear that from winning teams.”

skisloper

Starter

YOU LOST ME AT " he lost our chances at the Playoffs "
We have the worst talent on paper in the NBA.
Pathetic already!

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
how good would phil be without air, or without kobe... i guess we'll never know...

LOOOL That is sooooo true man. He always coached some of the best players ........ ever.

Went from MJ and Pippen to Kobe and Shaq.

Now he has Kobe, Gasol, Artest, and Bynum so if the Lakers win onother on is the coach.

It's very simple to talk about Suns when you don't get into the details.

The team of 2006/7 was robbed. There 3rd game was sold by the reffs, it was proved but during this game I was saying that it's the worse reffs show I've ever seen. When the rumors about sold game started before there where specific names, I told my friend immediately that it's the refs from the 3rd game.
And then came the eliminations after the 4th game.
Oh, and also the lose of the Suns at the first game was at tide game when Nash couldn't play at the end because he was bleeding.

And what was even more amazing is that the team of 2005/6 had a chance for a championship. They won the 1st game at Dallas but Raja Bell sprained his ankle, and they went down from 7 men rotation to 6. After that they where leading most of the games against Dalas (except one) at big margins but where falling from the feet at the end of the games and loosing.