Keep Fields...

smokes

Huge Member
And to a lesser extent, Douglas and Walker.

Regardless of rotation or coach we are gonna need guys like this down the road. You gotta have some injury cover it's rare that teams go all the way through the playoffs without at least a few small knocks and missed games.

Fields is a solid all round player he's successfully defended Kobe Bryant and put up good numbers this year. I still think he should be our starting 2 with Smith off the bench as we need scoring in our 2nd unit. He can grab a few minutes behind Melo/Novak too there should be enough minutes to go around for Smith, Fields and Shumpert if we play them situationally and adjust depending on who is performing on any given night.

Douglas and Walker can play garbage time all season for all I care. But they both have the potential to go off if the stars align, both can light it up from 3 and both can defend well., the key attributes of a bench threat. They could come in really useful during a deep playoff run.

Unless we can trade them for a pick (doubtful) or a serviceable PG (doubtful) there's really no need to trade them. At least they have chemistry with our guys which can be important.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
And to a lesser extent, Douglas and Walker.

Regardless of rotation or coach we are gonna need guys like this down the road. You gotta have some injury cover it's rare that teams go all the way through the playoffs without at least a few small knocks and missed games.

Fields is a solid all round player he's successfully defended Kobe Bryant and put up good numbers this year. I still think he should be our starting 2 with Smith off the bench as we need scoring in our 2nd unit. He can grab a few minutes behind Melo/Novak too there should be enough minutes to go around for Smith, Fields and Shumpert if we play them situationally and adjust depending on who is performing on any given night.

Douglas and Walker can play garbage time all season for all I care. But they both have the potential to go off if the stars align, both can light it up from 3 and both can defend well., the key attributes of a bench threat. They could come in really useful during a deep playoff run.

Unless we can trade them for a pick (doubtful) or a serviceable PG (doubtful) there's really no need to trade them. At least they have chemistry with our guys which can be important.

Fields has been epic since Lin returned.

He needs a better defensive game to be a fully effective starter, but at just over $700,000, the production we get out of this guy is beyond value for money.

I hope we have a full second unit that is led by Fields and Shump as their games grow.

Baron
Shump
Landry
Jefferies
Jorts

15-20 minutes of high octane output from all. Less so Jorts who is a cumbersome lump. :lol:

Danilo

Benchwarmer
JR starting ???? He is the perfect scoring threat off the bench. The nuggets have used him that way for 2 years.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
Jr need to come off the bench,

Reasons:
there are enough offense in the starting line-up
Landry is like a point forward in the starting line up

iJoe

Rotation player
Yes.... keep JR on the bench. Depending on how hot he is, D'Antoni can decide whether or not to keep him in the game 4th quarters.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
yes keep fields, but in the near future i would like to see him coming off the bench as Melo's back up. Fields is a servicable 6th or 7th man off the bench i dont really see him that good of a starter at sg at least not for this team.

Kiyaman

Legend
yes keep fields, but in the near future i would like to see him coming off the bench as Melo's back up. Fields is a servicable 6th or 7th man off the bench i dont really see him that good of a starter at sg at least not for this team.

Fields is a starter when u have scorers like SF-Melo & PF-Stat as starters.
:thumbsup: Fields is a KEEPER :thumbsup:

Fields is the man. Don't know why anyone would want to trade him. I like him in the starting line-up.

We definitely need to keep him, he's a decent player, great teammate and great person (from what I noticed in the media).

Whether as a starter or off the bench, I don't really care, the coaches can judge that, but we definitely should keep him!

I was very hard on him after the playoffs last year and early in the season this year, but it was a mistake and I went over the top.

smokes

Huge Member
We definitely need to keep him, he's a decent player, great teammate and great person (from what I noticed in the media).

Whether as a starter or off the bench, I don't really care, the coaches can judge that, but we definitely should keep him!

I was very hard on him after the playoffs last year and early in the season this year, but it was a mistake and I went over the top.

Almost all rookies slump pretty hard at some point. Fields was a pretty bad one but it was clear he was gonna come through at some point, because his strengths are fundamentals, things you can't just lose.

Given the first half of the Hawks game this thread deserves a bump!

Number3

Benchwarmer
Fields these past weeks ..always starts out great! .. now about the other half of the game.. he has to work on finishing the game

Forrest17

Rotation player
We probably aren't going to be able to. With Melo and Amar'es contract we can't offer him anything. Other teams will probably be interested.

CA7

Scoring Champ
We probably aren't going to be able to. With Melo and Amar'es contract we can't offer him anything. Other teams will probably be interested.

Melo, Chandler and STAT should all re-work their contracts to keep the best team we've had in 12 years together

Wargames

Starter
he is a rfa and the knicks owner is a spending mofo. the question will be will he stay playing well or turn into a Walton like player.

smokes

Huge Member
I rather Smith start...hes our best shooter...Fields can be more of a natural SF off the bench.

Don't you think we have enough offense in the starting 5 to allow Smith to the 6th man role where he can be truly dangerous? Our 2nd unit without Smith is not that great offensively, with Smith, it's potent.

metrocard

Legend
Don't you think we have enough offense in the starting 5 to allow Smith to the 6th man role where he can be truly dangerous? Our 2nd unit without Smith is not that great offensively, with Smith, it's potent.

Smith is a good defender and passer...better than Fields IMO. Plus we need shooting.

Melo is shooting terrible this year, so is Fields. Lin is the best shooter out of the starting five and he's a streaky shooter.

Knicks are 2nd to dead last in the NBA in 3pt % I believe correct me if I'm wrong.

So I disagree, I don't think we have enough offense...our offense would be PERFECT with Smith starting and bombing open 3's, taking pressure off of Melo and STAT.

Fields would work better off the bench

Baron
Iman
Landry
Steve/Jorts
Jefferies

Thats a STRONG bench. Everyone is at their position.

jzero29

Rotation player
Keep him

keep and start him. JR may be a better scorer, but he makes the second unit real.our second unit could be better then some Bad teams starters.

B.Davis
Jr smith
Shump
novak/Jefferies/Jorts

Forrest17

Rotation player
Melo, Chandler and STAT should all re-work their contracts to keep the best team we've had in 12 years together

I don't think Melo and Amar'e can, I think only contracts signed after the new CBA can be restructured... I think.

And Chandler deserves what he is making. Melo and Amar'e both make way too much based on what their contributions to this team are and will most likely be from here on out. They are both getting payed 30pts a game type salaries which will not happen anymore really. I think they can both rebound and become very very effective players and really take us to the next level. But at the end of the season, I think we might have to choose which one we are going to keep, we might have to trade one of them just to get their salaries off the books because most likely, Fields, JR Smith, Novak, Davis if he gets healthy and plays well and shumpert after next season will all be gone because we won't be able to give them any real offers.. And we won't be able to bring anyone else in because we will HAVE to use the MLE on Lin in order to keep him

We are really in cap hell right now even though it may not seem like it. It is practically a Miracle at what Glen Grunwald did with this team considering we had no room and no money. I don't think he will be able to do it again though.

I really want to keep both Melo and Amar'e, but I don't want to at the cost of those guys and not be able to bring in any new quality players in the foreesable future.