D'Antoni tells fans to stop booing Jared Jeffries

Eman

Benchwarmer
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-wants-knicks-fans-quit-booing-232102321.html

From the NY Post:

"Indulge me for a second, anybody who boos Jared Jeffries has got to reexamine their life a little bit," D'Antoni said following the Knicks' 99-88 winover the Jazz at the Garden. "I love our fans and I like Madison Square Garden, the arena, but here's a guy who came back to us, minimum contract. He could've gone to a lot of other teams. He plays as hard as anybody could possibly ever play, with injuries, everything you ask him. He takes every charge, every dirty play, every rebound. He works every second."

Jeffries had 13 points in a floor-burn performance, taking a couple of charges and getting fouled often around the rim. He made 7-of-10 free throws and grabbed eight rebounds.

Jeffries was clearly appreciative of the support from D'Antoni. "I'll die for him," he said. "I'll leave blood on the court ... because he's the best coach in the NBA.''

Stop booing Jeffries and start taking bullets for D'Antoni?

smokes

Huge Member
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-wants-knicks-fans-quit-booing-232102321.html

From the NY Post:

"Indulge me for a second, anybody who boos Jared Jeffries has got to reexamine their life a little bit," D'Antoni said following the Knicks' 99-88 winover the Jazz at the Garden. "I love our fans and I like Madison Square Garden, the arena, but here's a guy who came back to us, minimum contract. He could've gone to a lot of other teams. He plays as hard as anybody could possibly ever play, with injuries, everything you ask him. He takes every charge, every dirty play, every rebound. He works every second."

Jeffries had 13 points in a floor-burn performance, taking a couple of charges and getting fouled often around the rim. He made 7-of-10 free throws and grabbed eight rebounds.

Jeffries was clearly appreciative of the support from D'Antoni. "I'll die for him," he said. "I'll leave blood on the court ... because he's the best coach in the NBA.''

He's right though. We as fans already know JJ cannot hit a layup most of the time but he does not even attempt them unless he has to. He only shoots when theres like less than 5 seconds on the shot clock, completely wide open etc. There's no reason to boo him for missing a shot when it was the best/only shot available.

I think I've been the only poster on this site sticking up for Jefferies since the 2008 season because he is a great role player.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Jeffries drew I think five charges in the Jazz game.

That's five turnovers.

Any man who forces five turnovers has made a huge impact on the game. People boo Jeffries not because he doesn't try, but mostly because of how crappy his earlier years here were. He's actually one of the few players who has really flourished under D'Antoni.

smokes

Huge Member
Jeffries drew I think five charges in the Jazz game.

That's five turnovers.

Any man who forces five turnovers has made a huge impact on the game. People boo Jeffries not because he doesn't try, but mostly because of how crappy his earlier years here were. He's actually one of the few players who has really flourished under D'Antoni.

No they boo him because he misses shots, just like they were booing Fields for a while and booing Douglas at the moment.

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer
yeah have to give the guy credit .... i watch him gather the team on the floor and be a leader when Melo went down and TC on the bench with foul trouble.... big props for that .....its just hard to see any NBA player not able to finish around the basket ....but he does do all the dirty work taking charges good D

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
welcome to new york Dantoni the Fans show no pitty to you or anybody on this team even carmelo here's boo's and "pass the ball from the fans sometimes. they chant fire dantoni you think they'll listen and stop booing :teeth:. i think ALOT of fans are still pissed at jeffries for fumbling on that layup in the playoffs to tell you the truth. i have nothing against jeffries i think he's a hard working player and a good defender, but i feel the urge to change the channel everytime i see him about to attempt a shot.

iJoe

Rotation player
Number 1 - He's cheap
Number 2 - He's cheap

He's a great value and I don't think any of the fans have the right to complain when he can't do what we never expected him to do. As long as we don't overpay him, I'm damn happy that he's an offensive foul Pinata.

Paul1355

All Star
Jeffries shoots when he has no offensive skill. we sturggle as it is on offense and when Jeffries shoots it is a wasted possession. plus it is embarassing when he drives to the hoop and gets stuffed everytime. no one wants to see an embarassing product on the floor.

Jeffries needs to pass the basketball.

smokes

Huge Member
Jeffries shoots when he has no offensive skill. we sturggle as it is on offense and when Jeffries shoots it is a wasted possession. plus it is embarassing when he drives to the hoop and gets stuffed everytime. no one wants to see an embarassing product on the floor.

That's so inaccurate. Yes he sucks on offense but he only takes very good looks and even though he only went 3-9 last game a lot of the misses were fouls. He is good from the line and a straight up hustle machine. Hating on Jefferies at this point is just straight ignorance.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
That's so inaccurate. Yes he sucks on offense but he only takes very good looks and even though he only went 3-9 last game a lot of the misses were fouls. He is good from the line and a straight up hustle machine. Hating on Jefferies at this point is just straight ignorance.

I agree for his price Jeffries is a excellent defensive and hustle player, everyone knows he's sub par offensively but it's not like he forces the issue on offense.

TakMan

Rotation player

He's shooting about as well as Anthony is. I don't think we should be focussing on Jeffries regarding the offensive issues this team has.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I like Jeffries and the crowd and some people on this board should give him a break.

I keep hearing Knicks fans moaning about our defense and how New York is a defense first place. Well, we have a very good defender in Jeffries, a man who can defend well, draw charges. Also, so many Knicks fans complain that our players are soft. In the game against the Jazz I saw Jared drawing charge after charge despite the fact that he clearly had an injury on his right leg, possibly calf. To me, that shows commitment to the team and isn`t that what so many people have been saying our players lack? Also, showing more commitment, is that he decided to come back to play for a team whose fans were constantly abusing him. He wanted to play for us despite the abuse that he had suffered in his first stint with the team.

He is not good offensively. but the point is that if he is not good offensively then the team shouldn`t feature him and give him the ball expecting him to score. If he is directly under the basket and open then fine but what annoys me is we all, and the players on the team, all know that he is not a scorer so let him do what he does well : Defend, hustle, draw charges. He only looks bad because our team makes him look bad by giving him the ball and expecting him to score.

Basketball teams are like a good coffee, it takes a good blend to make it taste right. We need players like Jeffries, defensive minded, hustle player who is commited to the team as much as we need scorers. So, let Jared do what he does well and let the scorers score and let`s stop giving this guy a hard time.

Jeffries deserves a lot of credit for his recent performances.

When was the last time a Knick played with as much passion and commitment to make sacrifices as Jeffries did against Utah?

He's not a scoing machine, great shooter or Blake Griffin type athlete, but is that really necessary to embrace him?

For me it's players like him who define the essence of sports.

Lin doesn't have Jamal Crawford's handling or jump shot either, but look at the effort the kids is putting in......that's something that really makes you feel good about your team as a fan.

Talented offensive players who don't put much effort into defense, rebounding, hustle plays on the other hand are a major reason of concern and anger in my case.

I absolutely LOVED the way the whole team played against Utah, there was not one guy who didn't play with energy on BOTH ends of the floor.

I can't wait to see them in action again vs Washington tonight, because I know one thing: No matter if we win or lose this game, I won't be angry at them like I am when Melo or Stoudemire are playing with no effort on defense, because these guys will give their all to win this game and I'm sure they will.

Jeffries stands for everything that is good in sports. People who boo him and cheer Stoudemire didn't get the point imo.

tiger0330

Legend
This is NY sports, you're going to get booed if you don't make plays regardless of who you are. I don't know if anybody noticed but JJ got a hand by a lot of fans when he took the bench in the Jazz game so his good play is being noticed.

nyk_nyk

All Star

From the NY Post:

These are the two comments I absolutely disagree with. Also, Jeffries got a bit man happy with that last comment. Really JJ? REALLY? :teeth:

Danilo

Benchwarmer
These are the two comments I absolutely disagree with. Also, Jeffries got a bit man happy with that last comment. Really JJ? REALLY? :teeth:

Idk about D'antoni being the best coach in the nba... but Jeffries could've definitely gone to a bunch of other teams. There aren't enough established veterans who are complete role players in this league. For the vets minimum, I bet at least 20 teams would like to have him. I have always hated on jeffries, but this year I've changed a little. His shooting touch looks a little bit better, and I think hes really working on that 10 foot side of the basket jumper. He's a decent free throw shooter so I think that could come around. If he could make all his layups, he would be a better fit for the starting lineup than Amare this year. I hope he tightens up his offense, because his defense has been superb.

fender0577

Rotation player
I hate JJ, only because after all this time in the NBA, he hasn't developed any offensive skills, equivalent to the money he stole from us on his first contract.With that being said, anyone who boo's JJ, has bigger problems than the knicks losing, the guy is the most selfless player in the NBA, hands down, he takes charges, blocks shots, and he has the best shot selection in the NBA.Dude only shoots the rock, when the nearest defender, is 12 feet away, this is not a knock on our 2 stars, but they could learn something from JJ, about shot selection.Like i said, i'm not his biggest fan, but i would never embarrass my self, by booing JJ.

Toons

is the Bo$$
I hate JJ, only because after all this time in the NBA, he hasn't developed any offensive skills, equivalent to the money he stole from us on his first contract.With that being said, anyone who boo's JJ, has bigger problems than the knicks losing, the guy is the most selfless player in the NBA, hands down, he takes charges, blocks shots, and he has the best shot selection in the NBA.Dude only shoots the rock, when the nearest defender, is 12 feet away, this is not a knock on our 2 stars, but they could learn something from JJ, about shot selection.Like i said, i'm not his biggest fan, but i would never embarrass my self, by booing JJ.

i hate it when people say he stole a contract. Players do not negotiate contracts. Jefferies didnt say, hey, spend the entire MLE on me for a few years, i want 30 million or im walking. He was GIVEN a contract. Anyone on jefferies status who turns down 30 million is retarded. His contract was not his fault. He played, so he didnt STEAL it (like allan houstins last year, eddy curry, jerome james) who got money for doing nothing.