Jalen Rose on D'antoni

STAT1

Starter
If you don't know how to coach your players, scream LET'S GO and hope they'll figure it out themeselves. :teeth:

That's hilarious & so true. Seems like all you would ever hear during every time out went something like "Let's GO! We gotta run! Let's GO! Let's GO! Come on guys, let's GO!" :cool:

skisloper

Starter
I think 18W - 6L has earned Woodson more of a look in NY. I think his tendency to hold even the star players accountable is a refreshing change over the blatant favoritism that D'Antoni would show to "his guys" over his tenure. Of course there's always things you can pick out about any coach & critique, but since JVG was our coach, I don't think there's been a better one than Coach Woodson in how he's been able to get these guys to play consistently on the defensive side of the ball. That is what this team needs to get into the habit of doing if they ever want to develop a winning culture here. The speedball system of D'Antoni was not well suited for this city or this conference. You need to be able to play defense on a consistent basis if you want to beat teams like the Heat & Celtics.

How did Woodson hold our star players accountable ?
Just curious .....everyone keeps making that statement but please someone tell me how ?

STAT1

Starter
How did Woodson hold our star players accountable ?
Just curious .....everyone keeps making that statement but please someone tell me how ?

He has been shown many times on television talking about how Melo needed to get into better shape, how Amar'e needed to play better defense & improve on his low post game this summer, & both those star players have been quoted during interviews saying how much they respect his coaching style, Melo in particular has pointed out his respect for the fact Woodson has held him accountable to give forth more of an effort on defense since he took over as the head coach.

I believe this goes a long way in winning a team's respect. Look at how the San Antonio Spurs all respect Greg Popovich, he is not afraid to get into any of their faces when they're messing up, not even their star player Tony Parker during a Finals game. Whether you're the face of the franchise or the 12th man on the bench, Mike Woodson has made it known that he expects everyone to play to a certain standard. This is what won Glen Grunwald & James Dolan over during their interview to decide if Woodson would get a contract extension & his willingness to hold players accountable has been reported several times in the news media since Woodson took over the head coaching duties.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/14395/woodson-ill-hold-knicks-accountable

If nothing else, Mike Woodson's Knicks will be held accountable.

Woodson made that point loud and clear after his first game as the team's interim head coach.

"I'm going to do everything I can possibly do to win basketball games, that's my job," Woodson said. "I'm going to be held accountable and I'm going to make damn sure that (the players are) held accountable to win."

http://knickscoop.com/?p=734

More Accountability; Melo Backs Woodson Posted on April 24, 2012 by KnickScoop
Via ESPN New York
?I?m a big supporter of what coach Woodson has done,? said Anthony. ?His approach to the game, and what he gets out of all his players, even me. He holds everybody accountable and that?s what we need.?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-responsibility-mike-woodsons-accountability/

Still, the Knicks are winning under new coach Mike Woodson. Carmelo Anthony was on ESPN Radio New York and talked about what Woodson brings (via Sports Radio Interviews).
The biggest thing now is he holds guys accountable on the basketball court regardless of who it is like myself, Amar?e, Tyson [Chandler], Jeremy [Lin]. Regardless of who it is he holds guys accountable. That?s big especially in this day and age.?
With Stoudemire out a lot of the accountability, responsibility and pressure now falls to Anthony.
Oh it?s a lot. It?s a lot. It?s a team. I am not the only one on a team. A moment like this is where it becomes fun. I have been around this league for eight years. This is my ninth season, so I?ve been in situations like this before and it?s a very fun time. It?s a very fun situation to be in. Of course we would like it a little bit better where we are not fighting for it to solidify a spot, but at times like this it becomes fun.?

http://tracking.si.com/2012/04/25/k...are-stoudemire-publicly-endorse-mike-woodson/

Mike Woodson was assumed to be a lame duck upon arrival when he took the New York Knicks? head coaching job on an interim basis last month, but now it appears he may have some long-term hope after all. Knicks stars Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire have come out and publicly endorsed Woodson as their coach, according to Al Iannazzone of Newsday.

?I would love to see him around here past this year,? Anthony said. ?Just to see what he?s brought to our team, the confidence that he?s instilled into everybody, the belief that he has in everybody. Just his coaching style, the way he?s coached, kind of a hard-nosed coach. Holds everybody accountable out there, saying that everybody is responsible for their own actions. I would love to see him back here.?

?Coach Woodson has done a great job for us,? Stoudemire added. ?He?s done a phenomenal, phenomenal job. I love his attitude. I love his coaching style. It would be nice.?

mafra

Legend
It's doesn't get any worse than that, does it? Pretty much what all of us in the anti-D'antoni crowd suspected all along. The guy is good guy, but he's just not what I want (personally) as a leader/coach.

He sincerely believes his philosophy is so sound, & his style so innovative that it cannot be stopped. Well, perhaps in theory & on paper, but in practice... Relying/depending on LONG, low-% shots is a receipe for disaster when the playoffs begibns, & stars get calls, the play gets physical & refs put their whistles away.

It's like... YO, dude. You're a professional. You make millions. This is your job. COVER ALL BASES. Not to even take the time to gameplan, so your team is prepared? Well, compare that style to POPS in SA. Well, there you go.

And, trust me... Not like D'antoni is the zen master himself Phil Jax. Phil is the the man who invented less-is-more, b/c he's poignant. D'antoni is just ****y.

Look at today's NBA player. They wont work unless prodded, so if you put your trust in them... GOOD LUCK with that.

Relying on talent & system might work in college, but in the pros everyone has talent & system. Those who work harder & prepare will always prevail over the lazy & arrogant.

I cant believe J Rose put MDR on blast like that. It confirms every non biased Knicks fans believe that MDR had no clue on how to coach effectively and win. Had no Idea what defense was.

The guy was an absolute joke. There is now way in hell this team should have started the season 8-15. It was too talented.

Woody has a good defensive philosophy and he seems to point out to players what will be needed (Melo in shape & STAT defense) but, he seems to have some flaws generating offensive plays. He has to do a better job here. Novak getting minimal looks in the playoffs just cant happen. JR & Melo dominating offensive play cant happen when they're not hitting their shots.

I wanted Laimbeer, but I'll back Woody until he shows me my support is futile...

Red

TYPE-A
but the truth is.... Mike Woodson is the same thing.
He hasn't got a clue about offense. He can't make any offensive adjustments or make decent plays. -- I have never seen it.

D'Antoni and Woodson are both very incomplete.

Lol...

Yet Woodson took less-of-a-team aka injury riddled, and beat the HEAT at least one game. Go figure.

Boy some of you guys should just change your signature to clueless fan.