Proof to the Isiahsexuals that cap space does matter

metrocard

Legend
Kobe Wanted To Be A Knick?
31st January, 2007 - 10:58 am
New York Times -

When Kobe Bryant was a free agent in 2004, Isiah Thomas and the Knicks flew to Southern California armed with their mid-level exception. Despite being nearly $100 million short of what the Lakers offered, Bryant listened to their offer.

“The reason why I even was interested in taking that meeting was because of this city,” the 28-year-old Bryant said in an interview Tuesday morning. “Because I always loved this city. Always. Ever since I came here, growing up in Philadelphia, there’s always so much energy and so much buzz in this city. How passionate they are about basketball, how knowledgeable they are about basketball.”

Bryant, a nine-time All-Star, excitedly ticked off the names of the Knicks legends Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Earl Monroe and Dave DeBusschere and said, “I just wanted to play here so bad.”

“I know what it’s like to have a team here that’s successful and how the city rallies around it,” he said. “So I was very interested. And if they had more cap flexibility, it’d definitely be a place where I would end up. I might have picked the Knicks.”

Wow...like I said. This is NYC, the best city in the world. The interest is high, it always been. Knicks had alot of ledgends in the 60s-90s. Alot of people in NBA want to come here and make a name for themselves. From elite NBA players like Kobe to Lebron. Whats keeping them from coming here? Fools like Dolan and Isiah Thomas.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Yes metrocard, salary cap does matter but it is ridiculous of you to blame it on isiah when he had not been the gm to long at that point. You can add me to your gay ignore list but i dont know how you can blame us not gettin kobe on isiah. c'mon now, you gotta blame that on scott layden cuz if it wasnt for houstons huge contract, who knows.

Starks

Starter
damn. Jeffries or Kobe? hmmmmmm yea, cap space is important. Thats why need to let Francis, Marbs, and all those other guys' contracts just expire for once.

NYKnicks15

Starter
guys come on before we jump and blame isiah (like always) lets look at the facts!

isiah was only GM for 1 season prior.
He got Marbury and Penny yes. he got moochie norris. and signed vin baker. he also trade KVH for Nazr and Tim... look at that roster... we were still under the cap IF it wasnt for Allan Houstons contract. NOT until the following year did we use all of our expiring ones to get Jamal Crawford and JYD.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
and this is isiahs fault how, is not like isiah came to a team where they were under the salary cap

metrocard

Legend
hey i just joined today wow metro card is a trip. I was just wondering what you guys think about bernard king number being retired???

Probably because you're DonChris or 1andOnly behind ID, noticed alot of new ID's being made lately.

Anyway, silence everyone, READ MY POST. I blamed Dolan/Isiah. Hop off Isiah's nuts already, I'm sick of people coming to his aid. Dolan and Isiah are working together. When Dolan gets blamed, Isiah is part of it. When Isiah gets blamed, Dolan is part of it.

Layden had a shitload of expiring contracts. Who knows what would of happend. Isiah traded ALL THOSE expiring contracts and made the cap situation worse. So stfu, stop acting like Isiah is innocent and was never part of the problem. Like I said long time ago, it doesn't MATTER who's the GM(Even tho Isiah is a shitty one), they will be Dolan's pets. This is why Layden got fired, he didn't know how to brainwash dumb Knick fans like how Isiah does. Isiah accually got a buch of fools to believe Knicks can make the playoffs led by one dementional players in Crawford and Curry.

Accept the facts, I would love to see the people who said before "cap space didn't matter." They're the same fools who clean Isiah's ass on a daily basis and still "blame Brown" for all the problems when Isiah brought the guy here in the first place.

give zeek a break would you perfer scott layden?

Accually I'd prefer your mother as the GM of the New York Knicks over Isiah. Isiah's sick smile when we're losing is one of the worst things I can watch on TV.

Last edited:

George M.

Benchwarmer
and this is isiahs fault how, is not like isiah came to a team where they were under the salary cap
Excuse me Datruth,but Isiah listening to Larry Clown last year was the problem.Aquiring J.Rose & Francis with those expiring contracts at the Great Thief's request and not using the 2 to trade for a superstar/scoring option blew up in his face BIG TIME!!!!!!

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I am using no one's ID...it is I....the 1 and only...and lil boy...you seem kinda lonely. You take an article and you slant it to your propanda to tear Isiah's rep. Like most knick fans...we all know this isn't only on Isiah's shoulders. Again I give myself a break from your horrendous posts and other smart knick fans shut you down. I give congrats to you all for speaking the truth and show that the true knick fans are here. It's ridic how you blame isiah for everything....I say this thread deserves to be locked down, closed, and then burned to the ground...this doesn't make any sense other than to prove a horrible point on how "everything" is Isiah's fault...you need to hop off hater-hoe train "fan"...carry on knick fans....speak the truth!

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Bernard King's number should be retired. He has earned it, between him and Charles Oakley I think should be the other. 30 and 34 should be hanging next to Patrick's.

When the KNICK's finally get cap room it will be something great, youll always be able to sell the idea of playing in NY for people that love and care, and cradle the game of basketball. So we aint getting Kobe, that ship has sailed. Maybe, we can get LeBron...I think we shouldve had Ray Allen instead of Houston. But who knows hopefully the draft will bear some fruit in a few years....

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Excuse me Datruth,but Isiah listening to Larry Clown last year was the problem.Aquiring J.Rose & Francis with those expiring contracts at the Great Thief's request and not using the 2 to trade for a superstar/scoring option blew up in his face BIG TIME!!!!!!

isnt the beef that the knicks dont have the money to sign kobe<<well that was in 2004 and if the knicks dont make no trades till 2009, i believe the knicks could afford lebron james

paris401

Starter

trading for j.rose and the franchise was a really stupid move... , However, if we had kept davis+penny, and traded them, exactly what superstar would be be getting in return??? give me a couple of names...

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
With this topic, I feel that I do not fully agree with anyone, but I also feel that some of your arguments have some leverage....First of all, the isiah-haters, I do not think that when IT was hired he said, excellent, I can run this once proud organization into the ground and by the end of the day, NYK basketball will be the laughingstock of the league! Now, I will agree with you IT Haters that he has made some pretty dumb moves, but could you have blamed him? He inherited a talentless, over the hill squad that Layden had assembled (which is why Layden lost his job BTW) and with our New York impatient selves, we wanted change. Since I was a kid, the Knicks had always been a competitor year after year and w/o Micheal, they probably would have won a title or two. Besides Utah, they were the best overall bunch of the 90s, no doubt. But, eventually our stars got older and we officially lost our swagger when Toronto beat us in the playoffs after our magical run in 99.' S o what then? we bitched and moaned that we had no talent and we were mediocre team...In comes IT. He made trades which were intended to make us competitive again rather than rebuilding...Now, let me ask all the IT haters, would have been satisfied with ATL Hawks like results year after year? No, you still would have called for his head! So, what do want from the guy, he tried to get us results but ultimately failed! Yet, I too am not thrilled with the roster! Like Metrocard said, they are all one-dimensional players (even my fav player DLee as of right now) and are not proven winners! Do I think IT should be fired tho? No, b/c I think he realizes now that most NYK fans will be patient and not expect anymore stupid trades b/c we all have to admit, he has an excellent eye for talent and I have confidence that he can find a quality player where ever we are placed in the draft...But, if he does get pull off anymore of those stupid ass trades (Franchise, JRose), I will side with the haters and call for his haed at MSG!

GetRealistic

Starter
With this topic, I feel that I do not fully agree with anyone, but I also feel that some of your arguments have some leverage....First of all, the isiah-haters, I do not think that when IT was hired he said, excellent, I can run this once proud organization into the ground and by the end of the day, NYK basketball will be the laughingstock of the league! Now, I will agree with you IT Haters that he has made some pretty dumb moves, but could you have blamed him? He inherited a talentless, over the hill squad that Layden had assembled (which is why Layden lost his job BTW) and with our New York impatient selves, we wanted change. Since I was a kid, the Knicks had always been a competitor year after year and w/o Micheal, they probably would have won a title or two. Besides Utah, they were the best overall bunch of the 90s, no doubt. But, eventually our stars got older and we officially lost our swagger when Toronto beat us in the playoffs after our magical run in 99.' S o what then? we bitched and moaned that we had no talent and we were mediocre team...In comes IT. He made trades which were intended to make us competitive again rather than rebuilding...Now, let me ask all the IT haters, would have been satisfied with ATL Hawks like results year after year? No, you still would have called for his head! So, what do want from the guy, he tried to get us results but ultimately failed! Yet, I too am not thrilled with the roster! Like Metrocard said, they are all one-dimensional players (even my fav player DLee as of right now) and are not proven winners! Do I think IT should be fired tho? No, b/c I think he realizes now that most NYK fans will be patient and not expect anymore stupid trades b/c we all have to admit, he has an excellent eye for talent and I have confidence that he can find a quality player where ever we are placed in the draft...But, if he does get pull off anymore of those stupid ass trades (Franchise, JRose), I will side with the haters and call for his haed at MSG!

I agree with you completely man. And for once I actually agree with Metro to a point at least. Isiah as far as free agent signing and trades has been awful. He's proven to be a decent drafter but the other aspects of his general manager skills definitely have to questioned. Isiah is definitely to blame but I really think Dolan and Layden are more to blame. Dolan’s love of the clean cut good image Allen Houston as the face of the franchise has really hurt us. (Don’t get me wrong Houston was a great player and after being without him for the past few season I really have a greater appreciation for what he was) H2O wasn't a 100 million dollar player. But from there the Layden mistakes just added up. Trading Ewing whose deal woulda expired not to mention the fact he woulda finished his career a Knick. Trading Camby and Nene for Antonio played 5 games for us McDyess, Acquiring Shandon Anderson (who we still pay) and Howard Eisley, drafting Fredrick Weis.

Now to Isiahs tenure, which isn’t much, better. But in my opinion he was put in such a shitty situation to begin with. He made the Marbury and Penny trade which despite my dislike for Marbury was the right move. The organization needed some sort of buzz and bringing in the NY kid gave us that. And even though Penny had the big contract he played well for us that one-second half. So I can't fault him for that trade.

The Nazi Mohammad and Tim Thomas trade is a trade I couldn't really blame him for. It didn't work out for us but at the time it seemed like a steal. Tim Thomas who has all the Talent in the world and Mohammad for basically Doleac and Van Horn. Talent wise it seemed like a steal. The Ironic part is the best we've played the last 4 years is when Van Horn, Marbury, and Doleac were clicking. It was an aggressive trade that I can't fault.

Curry Trade: At first it looked like an awful trade but Curry is turning into a big time center. Well if he can ever grab a rebound he would be. I think it’s a good trade. Imagine the bulls with Curry playing the way he is now.

Q Rich Trade: He makes a lot of money but getting a younger swingman for an older Kurt Thomas who now seems to be plagued with injuries is a decent move.

On the fence moves

Mo Taylor/Malik Rose Trade: These ones are tough. I mean we obviously took on huge contracts of players that rarely contribute but this trade did land us David lee that can hopefully continue to develop into our starting power forward for the next 8 years.

Now the awful trades

Francis and Jalen Rose: I blame Isiah for this completely. Even if Brown pushed for it. If last season we were battling for a playoff spot maybe u take a risk and pull the trigger on one of these moves but since we were playing like shit what was the point. Your GM tell Brown no.

For me everybody is to blame. Isiah, Larry Brown, Scott Layden, and Dolan. No one person more then the next. But you can't just put it all on Isiah.

As far as the Kobe Bryant thing goes, get serious he was never going to play in NY. He was in town so he gave the NY reporters some nice quotes. And even if by some crazy chance he wanted to come here that one is souly on Layden. Isiah had nothing to do with that.

George M.

Benchwarmer
trading for j.rose and the franchise was a really stupid move... , However, if we had kept davis+penny, and traded them, exactly what superstar would be be getting in return??? give me a couple of names...
Hey Dude,That was last year and unfortunately I don't remember all the rumors and buzz from last season.However,those contracts should have been used to make a run at somebody special is my point.And to our misfortune,said attempt wasn't made!

paris401

Starter
Hey Dude,That was last year and unfortunately I don't remember all the rumors and buzz from last season.However,those contracts should have been used to make a run at somebody special is my point.And to our misfortune,said attempt wasn't made!

i hear what you are saying, but i don't think getting someone special was/is possible last year/this year or next (unless we get lucky in the draft).

i think the cards have been dealt, and this is the team we will be playing with this year, as well as next. i am not sure , but maybe IT has another mid-cap exception for the year so he can sign another defensive wiz like jefferies..

metrocard

Legend

talentless? That doesn't even make sense at all. Layden's roster and team had more sucess than Zeke's. Layden has EXPIRING contracts, we could of had cap space. Isiah TRADED all the expiring contracts away because he's an idiot and Dolan is an asshole.

Overall, your post was presented well, don't try to make excuses for Isiah tho, it makes Knick fans look weak.

We could of, could of, should of...had guys like Kobe and etc.

NYKnicks15

Starter
we could of should of had kobe etc?... didnt you make this thread to show what we could of should of would of had?.. so i dont get how you can yell at everyone for continuing on the topic you created. no offense man, that just seems hypocritical.

im not an isiah lover by any means. hes made a few bad moves.
1. Steve Francis.
2. Jerome James.
3. Maurice Taylor (since we gave up a second rounder with it)
4. Larry Brown (waste of a season)

I wont count Jalen cause we ended up getting Renaldo out of the deal.

but as i stated before EVEN after using expiring contracts to get Marbury and Penny. we still had a lot left over! see the Jamal Crawford deal (WHICH was a year after this arguement sparked from).

Allan Houston was the killer. play and simple. Love the guy but his contract (thanks to Layden) stopped us from getting Kobe. thats final. if we didnt have that extra 17 million on board.. where would of it gone. in Mr. Bryants back pocket. blame isiah blame dolan blame marbury who cares. THAT move (not saying all of our misfortunes are layden made cause isiah is part of this mess) but THAT move is what stopped us from getting Kobe Bryant..

that and he probably never wanted to play in New York to begin with ahha

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
and do da knicks really need a kobe bryant type player??i say ron artest is more valuable for the knicks