Knicks trying to get Robin Lopez? Nash talks heating up?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
WTF.. Robin lopez is a solid big.. You guys are buggin. He'd provide a much needed paint prescence.
I watched him a lot on League Pass. He wasn't solid. Gortat would have to come in around five minutes into the game, and of course, close the game. Imagine Lopez without Nash.

He isn't much better than Jeffries on offense. Actually the only thing he does better than Jeffries on offense is not losing the ball, so I don't know if he's even as good as Jeffries.

I don't think he did much defensively either.

If I remember he was battling an injury all season right? Look he's 7'0 and only 23.. He didn't get many minutes either. I say its worth developing him over the course of the season and let him just block shots and rebound. We don't even need him to score. Phoenix made the WCF last season and when he came back from injury he had some pretty good moments vs LA. It can work..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If I remember he was battling an injury all season right? Look he's 7'0 and only 23.. He didn't get many minutes either. I say its worth developing him over the course of the season and let him just block shots and rebound. We don't even need him to score. Phoenix made the WCF last season and when he came back from injury he had some pretty good moments vs LA. It can work..
I remember him playing a lot last season.

His size doesn't mean anything because hasn't been taking advantage of it. He had a good game in the last game of the season against the Spurs, and that's the only one I remember.

I don't know how he'll do in the future. I hope he turns into a good player, no, a great player! I don't want to trade for him and take up a roster spot in the HOPES for that. That's all it is, hoping.

Also, remember, if D'Antoni is here LOL.......You think D'Antoni doesn't like players who don't have offense...well...I'd have to agree with him on this one if that would be the case. Not that we should decide on deals because of him, it's a matter of Lopez not being that good.

I'm fair, I give players a chance. He just wasn't that good. I've seen a lot of Suns games this past season. In fact I check in on a Suns forum since I'm a fan of a few of their players, and they'd be happy to trade him.

If he had solid defense Gortat wouldn't have come in so quickly so many times. My dad got a kick out of it.

Please trust me on this, he might turn out good, but he certainly hasn't shown it.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The Suns might trade him for the Warriors' Ekpe Udoh. Don't remember much of him aside from one good game where he was making a lot of great hustle plays. If he brings that consistently the Suns would get a steal.

Wargames

Starter
I depends on what he cost the Knicks, I hope they demand he pass a physical since he's been injured for a while.

Anyhow yeah he has a history of playing great (for him) next to Amare. Also he goes back to college with Fields. Then add to it his brother is also in NY area and you can see the upside from a FO standpoint why it would be good to trade for him.

He's not a scorer like his brother but is a hustle Center similar to Noah in getting rebounds and making blocks. His numbers are off because he didn't play a lot of minutes. since Gortat is a better all around Center. His contract is short as well so it plays into the 2012 FA plan.

Wargames

Starter
The Suns might trade him for the Warriors' Ekpe Udoh. Don't remember much of him aside from one good game where he was making a lot of great hustle plays. If he brings that consistently the Suns would get a steal.

most people think the suns would get a steal in that deal and the warriors won't go through with it. The rumor is the knicks are trying to find a 3rd team because they are trying to not trade fields to get Robin.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I depends on what he cost the Knicks, I hope they demand he pass a physical since he's been injured for a while.

Anyhow yeah he has a history of playing great (for him) next to Amare. Also he goes back to college with Fields. Then add to it his brother is also in NY area and you can see the upside from a FO standpoint why it would be good to trade for him.

He's not a scorer like his brother but is a hustle Center similar to Noah in getting rebounds and making blocks. His numbers are off because he didn't play a lot of minutes. since Gortat is a better all around Center. His contract is short as well so it plays into the 2012 FA plan.
The thing about it though is that Gortat was coming off the bench. Lopez had SO many opportunities being a starter it might have cost the Suns a chance to make the Playoffs (I don't know that, Gortat coming off the bench might have helped them for all we know).

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
most people think the suns would get a steal in that deal and the warriors won't go through with it. The rumor is the knicks are trying to find a 3rd team because they are trying to not trade fields to get Robin.
We definitely shouldn't trade Fields at ALL. All-Star potential imo.

Wargames

Starter
We definitely shouldn't trade Fields at ALL. All-Star potential imo.

Idk about that but I feel he could develop into a Matt barnes type player aka "the glue guy" who comes off the bench. Plus the idea of getting robin makes more sense with fields here since he along with amare have proven chemistry playing along Lopez.

Wargames

Starter
The thing about it though is that Gortat was coming off the bench. Lopez had SO many opportunities being a starter it might have cost the Suns a chance to make the Playoffs (I don't know that, Gortat coming off the bench might have helped them for all we know).

Oh I agree with you Gortat is the clear better center but considering the knicks 2012 obsession he fits into their plans. I barely ever see the suns play but everyone knows about how the suns got the better of Orlando in that trade.

When it comes to trading for robin it all depends on the cost. At worse he is another stop gap center however if he plays well his skill set is what we need. #1 being he has shown that he can play around amare and not interrupt his offense. That in addition to him being seven feet tall hopefully means D'antoni is more likely to give him playing time.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby emphatically said that the two-time league MVP isn?t going anywhere, and he added center Marcin Gortat to the untouchable list.
In an email on Wednesday, he repeated the statement he made earlier in the day to The Arizona Republic, saying, ?We are not trading Marcin Gortat, period. End of sentence. We are not trading Steve Nash, period, exclamation point.?

end of topic...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
end of topic...

I take this statement with a grain of salt. If the right deal comes along, they're moving Nash because of his age and how valuable his expiring might be to another team. Gortat staying is common sense because of his age and skill.

Whenever someone from a front office makes emphatic comments like this, all you have to do is look at how many times a GM emphatically gave a coach that dreaded "vote of confidence" only to fire the dude shortly there after.

Have we not learned our lesson that when it comes to trade topics you have to just wait it out? Melo was all but traded to the Nets with NO CHANCE to come to the Knicks like 2 or 3 times....until he ended up on the Knicks.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I take this statement with a grain of salt. If the right deal comes along, they're moving Nash because of his age and how valuable his expiring might be to another team. Gortat staying is common sense because of his age and skill.

Whenever someone from a front office makes emphatic comments like this, all you have to do is look at how many times a GM emphatically gave a coach that dreaded "vote of confidence" only to fire the dude shortly there after.

Have we not learned our lesson that when it comes to trade topics you have to just wait it out? Melo was all but traded to the Nets with NO CHANCE to come to the Knicks like 2 or 3 times....until he ended up on the Knicks.
That's true.

As far as Nash goes, I don't see what we have to offer the Suns, unless there's another team in the trade.