We have to draft a Center

Paul1355

All Star
Our biggest need for the past couple years has been a shotblocking center that can rebound and clog the paint to prevent easy layups and cause havoc.

The knicks are in a tough spot getting a center because their main target Marcus Camby, signed an extension with the Trailblazers.

This leaves the Knicks with the rumors of trading for guys like Andris Biedrins and Emeka Okfaor for Eddy Curry's bloated contract.

Here is the problem, what if no team with a legit center wants to get Curry back in a trade? That leaves us basically with no way to sign a legit center that we need on this team.

David Lee needs a center and if he is traded it will be likely for Chris Bosh in a sign and trade deal to lure other free agents to the Big Apple.

There are not many legit Centers in free agency that we can call starters that are guaranteed to be available.

SO we are left with the best option, spend a couple million on a draft pick from either the Minnesota Timbervolves or the Memphis Grizzlies and draft a center.

Chad Ford had Solomon Alabi going #19 to the Boston Celtics, I say a guy like Alibi is perfect for our team.
We should also look at guys like Hassan Whiteside and Jarvas Varnado...PF/C who can block shots at a very high rate and might fall late in the first round to be nice steals.

We need defensive big men to even think about playoffs, and going young in this area is better than over paying a veteran center who usually in this league won't hustle like Joakim Noah.

This has to be done.

:gony:

Thoughts?

moneyg

Starter
I agree.

However i would like to get this done in the second round with a non guaranteed contract.

I really like this kid varando but im also interested in Jerome Jordan. He reminds me a lot of andrew bynum when he first came into the league

moneyg

Starter
knowing d'antoni i'm sure we will draft an internation big that can shoot threes and plays little to no defense. i hope walsh gives him little input on this

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I know I seem crazy here, but I STILL think Sean Williams could be very useful for the Knicks in D'Antoni's system. Call me crazy...but we could get him for a minimum contract.

Paul1355

All Star
I agree.

However i would like to get this done in the second round with a non guaranteed contract.

I really like this kid varando but im also interested in Jerome Jordan. He reminds me a lot of andrew bynum when he first came into the league
Andrew Bynum was a long project that took almost 5 years to even be a starter....if Jerome Jordan is that long of a project than I'd say to pass him up and go with someone who is NBA ready.
If you just meant Andrew Bynum by their skill and style than yea I would def take a look, but if Jordan does take as long as Bynum did to develop than it is not worth it at this point. We need guys that can help our team right now.

Jordan is more a of Center were Varnado and Whiteside are just long lackey shotblocking PF's that can be a type of Jamal Mcgee types.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Our biggest need for the past couple years has been a shotblocking center that can rebound and clog the paint to prevent easy layups and cause havoc.

The knicks are in a tough spot getting a center because their main target Marcus Camby, signed an extension with the Trailblazers.

This leaves the Knicks with the rumors of trading for guys like Andris Biedrins and Emeka Okfaor for Eddy Curry's bloated contract.

Here is the problem, what if no team with a legit center wants to get Curry back in a trade? That leaves us basically with no way to sign a legit center that we need on this team.

David Lee needs a center and if he is traded it will be likely for Chris Bosh in a sign and trade deal to lure other free agents to the Big Apple.

There are not many legit Centers in free agency that we can call starters that are guaranteed to be available.

SO we are left with the best option, spend a couple million on a draft pick from either the Minnesota Timbervolves or the Memphis Grizzlies and draft a center.

Chad Ford had Solomon Alabi going #19 to the Boston Celtics, I say a guy like Alibi is perfect for our team.
We should also look at guys like Hassan Whiteside and Jarvas Varnado...PF/C who can block shots at a very high rate and might fall late in the first round to be nice steals.

We need defensive big men to even think about playoffs, and going young in this area is better than over paying a veteran center who usually in this league won't hustle like Joakim Noah.

This has to be done.

:gony:

Thoughts?

Isiah Thomas and Donnie Walsh traded all of the Knicks' draft picks. There's none left.

Thomas gave the 2010 pick to the Suns.
Walsh gave the 2011 and 2012 pick to the Rockets.

The Knicks only have a couple of 2nd round picks. It is very hard to get a quality center with a second round pick.

Too bad Walsh didn't draft Brook Lopez, when he had the chance.

And too bad D'Antoni didn't want to give Hill a chance.

skisloper

Starter
Isiah Thomas and Donnie Walsh traded all of the Knicks' draft picks. There's none left.

Thomas gave the 2010 pick to the Suns.
Walsh gave the 2011 and 2012 pick to the Rockets.

The Knicks only have a couple of 2nd round picks. It is very hard to get a quality center with a second round pick.

Too bad Walsh didn't draft Brook Lopez, when he had the chance.

And too bad D'Antoni didn't want to give Hill a chance.

I believe we swapped picks in 2011 and gave away 2012....can someone clarify.

If we sign Bosh and Lebron it was Brilliant. I like rolling the dice and taking a chance.

Either way we have another 12 million free in 2011 to pick up another very very good player. Or get players in the 6 million dollar range ....

moneyg

Starter
Andrew Bynum was a long project that took almost 5 years to even be a starter....if Jerome Jordan is that long of a project than I'd say to pass him up and go with someone who is NBA ready.
If you just meant Andrew Bynum by their skill and style than yea I would def take a look, but if Jordan does take as long as Bynum did to develop than it is not worth it at this point. We need guys that can help our team right now.

Jordan is more a of Center were Varnado and Whiteside are just long lackey shotblocking PF's that can be a type of Jamal Mcgee types.

by bynum's second year he was very servicable, by his third, he was good. we are not going to find a good starting center with a resonable contract thats why you use second round picks to develop them. :smokin:

Kiyaman

Legend
I believe we swapped picks in 2011 and gave away 2012....can someone clarify.

If we sign Bosh and Lebron it was Brilliant. I like rolling the dice and taking a chance.

Either way we have another 12 million free in 2011 to pick up another very very good player. Or get players in the 6 million dollar range ....

Your right we swapped the 2011, coach Adelman will do his best to have a 50 win season so a late first rounder is like having another 2nd rounder.

Giving up 3 first rounders to get rid of Jefferies contract......there have to be another reason beside cap space

skisloper

Starter
Your right we swapped the 2011, coach Adelman will do his best to have a 50 win season so a late first rounder is like having another 2nd rounder.

Giving up 3 first rounders to get rid of Jefferies contract......there have to be another reason beside cap space

If we get Lebron and Bosh or some Combo I would say we will end up with a similiar record at least with Houston. Therefore the 2011 pick is irrelevant.

Look at it that we gave up a 2012 pick which if plan goes as is supposed to should end up being a late first rounder ( like u said a later first rounder is like having another second rounder)

its very black and white. We gave up Jordan Hill and a mid/late 2012 first rounder to have the option to sign 2 superstars.

I do think Gallo will be a solid star he is only 22.
Remeber he has not played around true Bball talent. I guy like lebron will only make him better and better....

Douglas
Chandler
Lebron
Gallo
Bosh

do we think thats a 50 win starting line-up.

Credit: New York Post

Before there is July 1 free agency, the Knicks have an NBA Draft to conduct June 24 --albeit without a first-round pick.
But Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni are confident they can reel in at least one roster player with their two second-round picks, Nos. 38 and 39. They continue their pre-draft workouts tomorrow in Westchester, bringing in a half-dozen prospects.
They are Cornell's 7-foot center Jeff Foote, Oklahoma forward Tiny Gallon, Tennessee guard J.P. Prince, Western Kentucky guard A.J. Slaughter, Alabama guard Mikhail Torrance, and Tulsa guard Ben Uzoh.

I saw a highlight video of Jeff Foote on Youtube. He looks pretty good. Would be pretty coll if we could draft him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3nas2uLyc (heres the highlight vid of him)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Jeff Foote? Hmm...low risk, high reward. Why don't we sign him and send him to the D-League? Will his contract still be on our salary cap?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Jeff Foote? Hmm...low risk, high reward. Why don't we sign him and send him to the D-League? Will his contract still be on our salary cap?

This Jeff Foote?

10 seconds in to the vid and this is not the center the Knicks need. That 2 foot vertical is horrendous. Weak dunks too by NBA standard. Passing is valuable from post threats. That guy isn't even a threat to fluffy bunnies.

Why is he the only center the Knicks are working out amongst 5 guards?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I know I seem crazy here, but I STILL think Sean Williams could be very useful for the Knicks in D'Antoni's system. Call me crazy...but we could get him for a minimum contract.

I'm all for this. There's been quite a few Nets games where he was put in the game, and immediately started swatting shots.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
That's why we might be able to get him to the D-League. See if he has any potential. D-League contracts are worth like nothing and I'm not even sure it goes against our salary cap.

Williams...why the hell not? He averages one block per game in only 11 minutes. If he can run the floor, he can become an effective defender and shotblocker for us.

moneyg

Starter
That's why we might be able to get him to the D-League. See if he has any potential. D-League contracts are worth like nothing and I'm not even sure it goes against our salary cap.

Williams...why the hell not? He averages one block per game in only 11 minutes. If he can run the floor, he can become an effective defender and shotblocker for us.

i would luv a move like this but d'antonio is so stuck on offesive minded big men. i think even if walsh signs him d'antoni will have him riding the bench. he only likes guards and wings that are little defensive minded like raja bell.

Paul1355

All Star

This Jeff Foote?

10 seconds in to the vid and this is not the center the Knicks need. That 2 foot vertical is horrendous. Weak dunks too by NBA standard. Passing is valuable from post threats. That guy isn't even a threat to fluffy bunnies.

Why is he the only center the Knicks are working out amongst 5 guards?
good point, it is really bothering me how we care more about guards than big men