Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

paris401

Starter
not haters.... people who luv melo and all he has done to help the knicks win... like taking a huge $1m less then a max contract to give phil the flex to go out and sign another big time player...

guys like Duncan/dirk/etc should pull up a chair and maybe they toooo will learn from melo how to win a championship...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
not haters.... people who luv melo and all he has done to help the knicks win... like taking a huge $1m less then a max contract to give phil the flex to go out and sign another big time player...

guys like Duncan/dirk/etc should pull up a chair and maybe they toooo will learn from melo how to win a championship...

Sounds like hating to me.

paris401

Starter
Sounds like hating to me.

take two teams... how about the spurs for instance... they have their franchise player taking 10m per....and their point guard taking 14m per... and they have won 'one or two' rings during the last few years

now lets take another team... how about the knicks... they have won 'zilch' in the last few years.. their franchise player is taking 25m per , and has done fuk-all ...

i'm I 'hating' or being 'realistic'????

i'll let you decide....

donchris

take two teams... how about the spurs for instance... they have their franchise player taking 10m per....and their point guard taking 14m per... and they have won 'one or two' rings during the last few years

now lets take another team... how about the knicks... they have won 'zilch' in the last few years.. their franchise player is taking 25m per , and has done fuk-all ...

i'm I 'hating' or being 'realistic'????

i'll let you decide....

What do you care of how much money this man makes? LeBron James is considered by most fans to be the best NBA player since Michael Jordan and he makes just over 20 million per year now. I commend him for that. He's one of the reasons that casual fans watch the game and the league makes money in part because of him. Melo is not as great as James but he's not that far off. Melo is clearly a top 5 scorer in the game (I'd say top 3). Kevin Durrant makes right under 20 million this year, another great player.

You're not making an apples to apples comparison. Duncan is one of the best power forwards the league has seen in years but he doesn't have the marketability or appeal of the elite players. Spurs play a good system of ball which is largely the reason for their success. They've got all of the tools the Knicks never had from player development to scouting and drafting to coaching. Melo's salary isn't going to hold the team back as long as he commits to team ball.

paris401

Starter
What do you care of how much money this man makes?
You're not making an apples to apples comparison. Duncan is one of the best power forwards the league has seen in years but he doesn't have the marketability or appeal of the elite players. Spurs play a good system of ball which is largely the reason for their success. They've got all of the tools the Knicks never had from player development to scouting and drafting to coaching. Melo's salary isn't going to hold the team back as long as he commits to team ball.

point by point

1. I don't care how much $$$ melo makes... I feel that 'everyone' should make as much $$$ as possible ..HOWEVER... don't say I'm coming back to new York for 'luv'... BULL$HIT... you came back for the $$$...

2. as to 'apples to apples'... marketability... that has nothing to do with the discussion... if it did, u are correct that melo has more appeal... and if it did, then the salaries should be reversed.. ie Duncan should be maxed-out and melo should be taking the 10m.. after all melo would be making way more in endorsements then his nba salary ...

3.. melo's salary not holding knicks back... are u kidding.... if he took 10m per, that would leave 15m on the table for phil to go out and sign a marqee player..

a pleasant sunday to alll

donchris

point by point

1. I don't care how much $$$ melo makes... I feel that 'everyone' should make as much $$$ as possible ..HOWEVER... don't say I'm coming back to new York for 'luv'... BULL$HIT... you came back for the $$$...

2. as to 'apples to apples'... marketability... that has nothing to do with the discussion... if it did, u are correct that melo has more appeal... and if it did, then the salaries should be reversed.. ie Duncan should be maxed-out and melo should be taking the 10m.. after all melo would be making way more in endorsements then his nba salary ...

3.. melo's salary not holding knicks back... are u kidding.... if he took 10m per, that would leave 15m on the table for phil to go out and sign a marqee player..

This is the usual ESPN analyst response, that he did it for the money. I think money certainly factored in but if this was solely or even mostly a financial decision why opt-out? Melo left nearly one million bucks on the table by opt-in out according to reports. Why not just get the most money possible?

I think this logic is pretty standard for those that think Chicago is so far ahead of NY. I'm in the minority with this, but I don't buy it so I don't see the decision for Melo to stay in NY as solely a financial one. The presence of Phil and Derek actually has appeal to players that want to win. We'll see what kind of talent shows interest next summer which will prove this statement to be true.

To put this into perspective, any player of Melo's caliber is going to get paid roughly what he's getting. This is why I brought up the market point. To your point, if you think that's not what the Knicks need and they should go a team with more depth I think that's a good point, but we can't have it both ways. If you want a guy that can put up 25 per game or more he's getting 20 million plus. Salary cap will go up to over 60 million, we'll be fine.

jimkcchief88

All Star
This should be called the 'I hate Melo Thread'. Haters have taken over!

Good to have you back around Don. And "welcome" to the "hatefest" once known as KO.COM. Once intelligent posters have ALL turned Colin Cowherd-esque I hate Melo for everything. And these haters don't listen reason. They don't care Melo had by all accounts a career year last year. And these haters don't care about the scoring title and first Atlantic Conference title in over a decade. These cats just be hatin' on Chief

paris401

Starter
Good to have you back around Don. And "welcome" to the "hatefest" once known as KO.COM. Once intelligent posters have ALL turned Colin Cowherd-esque I hate Melo for everything. And these haters don't listen reason. They don't care Melo had by all accounts a career year last year. And these haters don't care about the scoring title and first Atlantic Conference title in over a decade. These cats just be hatin' on Chief

agree melo had a career year last year... and where did it get us??? not to the playoffs... I would have preferred if he's so much in luv with ny, that he took less $$$ which maybe...just maybe would help us in our quest to get him some help...

if he took 10m... or even less, he could make the diff in a heartbeat via outside sources... and another 15m in phil's pocket would certainly make his job a bit easlier...

tiger0330

Legend
If Melo has an off year I just don't want to hear any excuses about his weight loss as the reason he's having one.

If his numbers are down, I'm calling it for what it is a lack of motivation after signing a fat contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
Under Phil and Fisher type of coaching, i see Melo playing less than 60 games in the 2014-15 season.
The lack of ball movement, the lack of player movement, and the lack of getting the ball up-court in an uptempo transition will all change from last season lack of team-performance under Phil & Fisher type of coaching.

Head coach Fisher will want the ball to be pushed up-court by throwing lob passes to running teammates Shump, JR, THJ, Amare, Acy, Outlaw, and Early to beat opponents defense back.

Broadway

All Star
If Melo has an off year I just don't want to hear any excuses about his weight loss as the reason he's having one.

If his numbers are down, I'm calling it for what it is a lack of motivation after signing a fat contract.

Remember the fasting he was doing and how bad his shooting was around the time? Melo is always good suckering fans into Lifetime Network....Hallmark specials season after season.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is the usual ESPN analyst response, that he did it for the money. I think money certainly factored in but if this was solely or even mostly a financial decision why opt-out? Melo left nearly one million bucks on the table by opt-in out according to reports. Why not just get the most money possible?

I think this logic is pretty standard for those that think Chicago is so far ahead of NY. I'm in the minority with this, but I don't buy it so I don't see the decision for Melo to stay in NY as solely a financial one. The presence of Phil and Derek actually has appeal to players that want to win. We'll see what kind of talent shows interest next summer which will prove this statement to be true.

To put this into perspective, any player of Melo's caliber is going to get paid roughly what he's getting. This is why I brought up the market point. To your point, if you think that's not what the Knicks need and they should go a team with more depth I think that's a good point, but we can't have it both ways. If you want a guy that can put up 25 per game or more he's getting 20 million plus. Salary cap will go up to over 60 million, we'll be fine.

Melo grabbing at a $25M per contract for the next 5 seasons under a new written CBA rule that's strictly against giving a super-star above $20M per are a complete foolish move on the team owner (Dolan), plus pure greed/selfishness on a super-star (Melo) who has proven repeatedly to need twice the teammate help of the average NBA super-star to win a postseason series.

Don .... there was a good reason why Lebron signed a 2 year contract for $40M, and DWade signed a 2 year contract for $30M.
Lebron has showed repeatedly to be the top winning leadership player in the regular season in the east.
DWade has showed repeatedly to be the top winning leadership player in the postseason games in the east.
Both players team have been given a 1-4 odds on getting to the ECF in 2014-15 season.
In other words ...Lebron and DWade team will be the first or second seed team in the eastern conference.

Phil Jackson couldn't do anything about owner Dolan's love at keeping Melo in a Knicks uniform.
Phil showed his confidence in Melo's $124M contract by adding 3 new players to the roster that plays Melo's position, in players Outlaw, Acy, and Early (3 SF that will give Phil/Fisher 110% effort on both sides of the court).

Dolan gave rookies Phil & Fisher a total contract of $85M.
Dolan gave Melo a $124M contract.
who got mo luv????

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

Wow Chief, u never visit any of the Denver Nuggets forum before/after Melo departure. That's bad!
u didn't gain insight from the Knicks short 2011-12 season of "isolation vs Linsanity". That's bad!
u didnt notice the Knicks roster played hard for "Jason Kidd's Old-Heads" in 2012-13 season. That's bad!
u didn't notice in 2012-13 season the so-call Melo-Knicks won 54 games, and the Gallo-Nuggets won 57 games.

Im sure u notice in 2013-14 without "Jason Kidd's Old-Heads", or Linsanity uptempo ball movement the Knicks 40 plus minute super-star Carmelo Anthony first 61 games of the season lead the Knicks to a 21-40 record. Melo were in every lineup puppet Woodson put on the court for 48 minutes in the 21-40 run. Melo minutes decrease to 34 minutes per. when Phil Jackson were hired as president ...the Knicks players went on a 16-5 run for Phil Jackson, having the same players, and the same puppet coach Woodson.
Early last season when the Knicks struggle to win their 16th game of the season they already had 27 losses .. by Melo's 44 minute games!!!

DrB

Benchwarmer
point by point

Seems to me Amare and Bargnani didn't voluntarily take pay cuts and boh make twice what they are worth. Lets stop asking for pay cuts and ask MELO to find the open man when he's doubled instead of throwing the ball into he stands. I saw panic when the RAPTORS defense locked down the TRIANGLE OFFENSE and everyone looked to MELO to be the savior. 1 for 28 shooting by J.R. ,THJ, and Shumpurt revealed the Knicks need or a second SUPERSTAR.

mafra

Legend
1-2 at home and Melo outplayed by Dunleavy-Mcdermott duo and Paul P?erce. Pathetic. Misses about 30 shots with 15 turnovers... Yikes

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I was hoping Melo, would embrace the triangle offense and stay true to his word about him being a changed man and he wants to win.Well I was wrong and after only three games he has went back to playing ME ME ME ME basketball and has completely went away from playing team basketball.I am not surprised b/c this is Melo we are talking about here and we all knew that he would never put the team first.

All I can say is alot of fans wanted him back well you got him BUT I am going to say one thing.Enjoy the losing b/c you can not win with this guy!!!!

Last edited: