If a trade is going to happen, it has to happen next week or.......

New New York

Quiet Storm
We risk our team being as distracted as The Nuggets and Nets have been all season!

The news of New Jersey reporting that they have pulled their offer for Melo off the table could not have come at a worst time for us.

We are playing as bad at this point in the season as we have all year, we are the fewest game above .500 as we have been since early December and the idea of "winnable games" is starting not to apply to our team

So the last thing we need is key players like Gallo,Wilson and Feilds worried about their future with the team.

Remember Gallo's early season slump was reportedly due to him being leary of being traded to Denver, the season began to move forward, Melo was in Denver and only NJ was thought to have a chance at Melo and low and behold Gallo's play got better as did the team.

Now, the chitter chatter is Melo being shipped to NY by the trade deadline, and we simply cant go through 5 weeks of our team playing shaky ball, we will no doubt fall under .500 if that happens.

So Donnie needs to make a offer to Denver in the next couple days, give Denver a couple days over the weekend to tweak it (within reason of course), but set a time table that talks will extend no longer than next Tuesday, remember next Thursday The Heat come to town and we would want either a focused or a team that has all players who have been traded to have passed their physicals by then. And we also have a critical game agains The Hawks who we want to start trying to make up ground on in the standings next week as well.

Here's what managament needs to do;Work 24/7 until Friday night (mostly assessing who will give the best pick for Anthony Randolph), propose this deal to Denver early Sat. give them the whole weekend and Monday but expect an answer Tuesday morning with every intention on walking away from the deal publically like NJ just did.

Call Melo's agent and tell him we'll holla at them this off season if Denver is unwilling to make a reasonable deal with us by then!

Then commence to finishing out the season.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
All of that being said, there's no incentive for Denver to move Melo right now...they're probably still holding onto the hope of someone maybe renting Melo for the last few months. They might not wait until the deadline, but there's no real reason for them to move him before mid Feb.

Giving them an ultimatum won't work. NJ backed out to save face because they knew they had no chance at convincing the dude to sign the extension for them. Not for the politically correct statement of "it took too long and got too expensive"....please, what he should have said was "we rode that media train to gain some exposure on the back of a man that we knew we had no chance to get...that train reached it's last stop...everyone off."

We can give them a deadline of Tuesday, they can take their time and go past the deadline...contact us in mid-Feburary and propose the same exact deal and we'd take it and Melo would sign. Our situation isn't quite the same as NJs.

New New York

Quiet Storm
But regardless if the trade is revisited, by publically stating we are not dealing we limit the distractions to our team, if they call Feb 24 with the same proposal then no prob pull the trigger then, but there is use in dragging this out publically for the next 5 weeks and screwing our record

la2ny

Starter
I still don't think this is having as big of an effect on them as you all think. They look tired more than anything else. Even when we were winning Gallo had shaky games and the team still had the Melo rumors. These are the dog days of the season, just gotta' hold on until the all star break.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Don't trade Fields to Denver. New Jersey gave them a great offer. Enough. They should be happy with one nice player, a pick, and a big contract coming of the books.

Red

TYPE-A
Don't trade Fields to Denver. New Jersey gave them a great offer. Enough. They should be happy with one nice player, a pick, and a big contract coming of the books.

Too late. As reported yesterday from Denver they are interested in Fields the most.

Gotta give to get.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Remember Gallo's early season slump was reportedly due to him being leary of being traded to Denver

Sorry this is off topic, but this is why I give him zero respect. Scared of being traded so you fall back and start playing like a lil b****??? That's NO EXCUSE AS A PROFESSIONAL!

Ok rant done. :smokin:

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Yea Right ...

Too late. As reported yesterday from Denver they are interested in Fields the most.

Gotta give to get.

F Em.....We offered them a great deal earlier I believe it was Fields/Gallo/Curry/our 2 2nd rounders and T-Dawg and they laughed at us saying THE KNICKS DONT HAVE WHAT WE WANT. Now they like Fields And Walker...I Say **** Denver offer them Curry/Walker/AR and thats it take it or leave it.....you guys forgot how they raped us of CAMBY AND NENE for MCdyess remember that one ...Well its PAYBACK TIME DENVER BEND OVER AND TAKE IT......

miked1958

Rotation player
its sad

I still don't think this is having as big of an effect on them as you all think. They look tired more than anything else. Even when we were winning Gallo had shaky games and the team still had the Melo rumors. These are the dog days of the season, just gotta' hold on until the all star break.
They were beating teams like OKC and SA and scoring up in the 120s. now losing to teams like the kings and scoring in 80s. dont get it.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Sorry this is off topic, but this is why I give him zero respect. Scared of being traded so you fall back and start playing like a lil b****??? That's NO EXCUSE AS A PROFESSIONAL!

Ok rant done. :smokin:

So I guess you don't want Melo then either. He's averaging his worst stats in his career this year.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
So I guess you don't want Melo then either. He's averaging his worst stats in his career this year.

Points are down by 1.2, assists are down by .2, field goal percentage is down by 2%, three point percentage is down by 4%, steals are down by .1, minutes per game is down by 2 mins.

Rebounds are up 1.8, turnovers are down by .3

Give me Melo's distracted season with trade rumors and the death of a close loved one, over Gallo's distracted season. Objectively speaking.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Points are down by 1.2, assists are down by .2, field goal percentage is down by 2%, three point percentage is down by 4%, steals are down by .1, minutes per game is down by 2 mins.

Give me Melo's distracted season with trade rumors and the death of a close loved one, over Gallo's distracted season. Objectively speaking.

Thank you. I was hoping i didn't have to point all that stuff out to him myself.

:beer:

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Same with Gallo's, statistical difference that is. Clearly Melo is the better player. I am not comparing their talents. The point was that saying you have zero respect for a player because he gets affected mentally from trade rumors is silly. Every player does, especially young ones. Even Melo's game has been affected by the rumors.