A realistic discussion on the Knicks.

metrocard

Legend
I think that the main things our team needs to work on is free throws and assists, i believe we have a good squad, and criticizing everyone weakneses dosent help the team, each ones individual strengths make the team. crawfords d is improving, and if we have a player at the 3 spot who is lengthy they can cover crawfords slip ups on their defensive sets, different story tho, as i was saying, we lost 17 games this season by 10 or less points this season, each of those games, we missed 10 or more freethrows collectively. The knicks are 4 spots above last in free throw percentage. this leads me to believe that if 5 players hit 2 more free throws, 17 more games would have gone into overtime, or the outcome might not have turned out in an L. Another point is assists, marbury is NOT a point guard....dispite his size, even tho steph isnt small, we need a pass first pg, forget ray allen, we need a luke ridnour on our team, some kind of pass first pg, who can hit the 3, who's free throw percentage is a knack away from 90%, late in the game, when curry is our option, who is our safe men to knock down big free throws? every player who shoots a free throw has my heart in my throat, we need a crowd cooler at the end of the games. we also win 20% of our games when our opponent scores 100+ but we win 60% when we score 100 pluss, we need sharper passes, a pg (nate, francis an marbs are 2 guards) better free throw shooting, heart....a lot of times, heart is the difference between a w and an l.

If we had hit our FREE THROWS, we might have won at least 50% of the 17 games we lost off of bad shooting at the charity stripe, thats another 8 w's under the knick belt. I say keep the squad we have, nothing i mentioned just now exceeds the capacity of any of our players. KNICK IN 07-08

Marbury can hit 3's too...plus Ridnour is like a 34% career 3pt shooting, he isn't as good as you think.

We don't need a pure PG, we need a center who knows how to pass out of double teams. Hopefully Curry can develop into that.

Marbury is fine.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Agreed...Marbury is far from our problem. In my opinion he's our best offensive option on the team. Curry will get better with time and only way he'll get better is to continue to feed him the ball. That 15 foot jumper is coming next year...or at least that's what Isiah has guaranteed...

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
curry, lee, balkman, and collins all need to work on their jumpshot

curry, francis (if hes still a knick), mardy, nate, marbury, and crawford need to cut back on turnovers big time

and isiah has to stop wasting all our dam time-outs to yell @ nate. i hate seeing us run out of 'em when we need them in the final 2 minutes during a close game

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Agreed...Marbury is far from our problem. In my opinion he's our best offensive option on the team. Curry will get better with time and only way he'll get better is to continue to feed him the ball. That 15 foot jumper is coming next year...or at least that's what Isiah has guaranteed...

I'm a lot more concerned about Curry learning to position himself better defensively, than any jump shot he may develop. Better positioning will obviously help his general defense, but it will also help he defensive rebounding, I really think he can average ten boards a game if he can just improve his positioning.

Hiring Ewing as an assistant coach, would go a long way to address this weakness in Currys' game.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
The mentality of rebounding needs to be aquired before positioning is concerned. He can be in position but if he doesn't feel like rebounding then someone can get better position and get it. Rebounding is a man's job...it's not like scoring or dishing. Rebounding requires mental toughness...such as the likes of Balkman and Lee. But yes Curry needs to work on his positioning...but after he gets his mind right...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Since the season is now all but over I might as well throw my two cents in. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I rarely see the games and when I do the Knicks always throw up a stinker like the other night. I think Isiah is way over his head for this job. He has an eye for talent and would make a good scout, but as a gm/coach he is terrible. You would think a guy with championship rings would understand the basic make-up of a team but Isiah doesn't. Its like that team at the gym that has alot of talent and talks junk but gets routinely spanked because they don't know how to win. This team has no leadership. In the past we always had a Patrick Ewing or Allen Houston, or LJ or Spree to rescue us when the chips were down. No longer because nobody takes responsibilty on this team would instead blame the other team for running up the score. Thats ridiculous. How about showing up in the first place??? As much as "Starbury" played better than I thought he ever could, he still didn't even get the team to the playoffs so the loser tag still applies. I don't wanna hear about injuries because every team is subject to those. Miami held there own after losing flash, but Isiah cannot inspire like effort out of his teams. All those guys are just drawing a paycheck. The only way to fix this team is cut everyone over 25 years old that is making too much money and get a real game coach.

paris401

Starter
Since the season is now all but over I might as well throw my two cents in. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I rarely see the games and when I do the Knicks always throw up a stinker like the other night. I think Isiah is way over his head for this job. He has an eye for talent and would make a good scout, but as a gm/coach he is terrible. You would think a guy with championship rings would understand the basic make-up of a team but Isiah doesn't. Its like that team at the gym that has alot of talent and talks junk but gets routinely spanked because they don't know how to win. This team has no leadership. In the past we always had a Patrick Ewing or Allen Houston, or LJ or Spree to rescue us when the chips were down. No longer because nobody takes responsibilty on this team would instead blame the other team for running up the score. Thats ridiculous. How about showing up in the first place??? As much as "Starbury" played better than I thought he ever could, he still didn't even get the team to the playoffs so the loser tag still applies. I don't wanna hear about injuries because every team is subject to those. Miami held there own after losing flash, but Isiah cannot inspire like effort out of his teams. All those guys are just drawing a paycheck. The only way to fix this team is cut everyone over 25 years old that is making too much money and get a real game coach.

good post.....

furious lord

Benchwarmer
Have Curry lose 15 pounds. Have Frye gain 15 pounds. Both of those guys have to hit the gym. The reason why Curry struggles on defense and does not rebound is because he is fat. Y'all play pickup basketball, fat guys don't jump unless it's a sure layup or dunk. Curry skies for a rebound maybe twice a game. It's not because he is just lazy, it's because he's chugging so much weight in his ass he does not have the energy. Same thing happened to Shaq later in his career when he got up to 330. Yeah, Shaq blocks shots and rebounds, but not as well as he did when he was 265, when he was more mobile. Conversely, Channing Frye should gain about 15 pounds. He can't stay on the floor because he gets pushed around by more physical PF's. he does not have the athleticism to make up for his lack of bulk, so he gets into early foul trouble or he gets yanked because he gets abused so early.
If we can get these guys into better playing shape, we could possibly have one of the better 4-5 tandems in the conference, and we would not have to make a major trade. Frye has mad game on the perimeter, his second big problem is that he does not know how to get inside points while Eddy is in the paint, he used to get to the free throw line last year cause Curry kept getting into early foul trouble. Also, one thing Curry needs to do is learn the forgotten art of the head fake. He gets his shot blocked from behind by smaller guards more than any other good big man I've seen in years because he gets the ball and just goes straight up. The Up fake and Up and Under moves could get Curry an additional 4pts per game.
I think we have a good young nucleus. We just have to develop guys, define roles, and get a better medical staff to become a playoff team. I love Renaldo Balkman, after watching him in the summer league I thought he'd be good. If he could develop a jumpshot like Udonis Haslem he should start, even over Lee, because he is a much better defender and shotblocker. Collins should be the first guard off the bench, making Nate (eventhough I love him too)possible trade bait. Crawford's big shot ability is the reason why he should stay on the team unless a really good young inexpensive pure shooter or two way guard were available. Francis is gonna get bought out. If Frye doesn't bulk up and Balkman still can't develop more offense Lee should start and Richardson(if he comes back 100%) should be SF because Curry needs his shooting and defense.
I think Jeffries will have a much better season next year, he's a really good defender and will probably play his way into becoming trade bait at next year's deadline. Balkman makes him expendable. We'll probably draft a shooter or shotblocking backup center.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I dont think curryneeds to lose weight. He looks alot better than he did early in the season. He just needs to work on his footwork mainly on the defensive end. He looks slow at times on d but its really cuz he dont know how to play d.I think they've been workin hard on his offense but its time for mark aguire to teach curry to get position and play squared up between his man and the basket. And someone needs to tell nate to stop double teamin every single day this offseason.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I'm not gonna reiterate anything about the players because I mostly agree with Metro and GetReal... I also think Frye could develop into an Okur type big who knocks down open shots provided he can keep his confidence up...

outside of the usual roster requests (shooter, defensive 3)... I think we need subtle changes in the coaching/management group...

I would move Isiah back to President of bball ops... Bring in Jerry West as a team consultant or GM... This way... we get Mr. Basketball helping to inform Isiah about his trades/free agent signings and both are great talent scouts (West oversaw the 00 - 02 Laker dynasty)...

I would also move Herb to Head Coach again and let him build with this group... he is the only member of the coaching staff who has been with the Knicks through all this madness... and he managed 39 wins with less talent than Isiah and LB had...

this stops the endless coaching carousel and provides some consistency for the players and Isiah's front office moves would be as well thought out and tempered as his post game conferences...

These moves won't make any real headlines (maybe West would), but it is very similar to the route Toronto and Jersey (both Atlantic division rivals) took back to respectability...

metrocard

Legend
I'm not gonna reiterate anything about the players because I mostly agree with Metro and GetReal... I also think Frye could develop into an Okur type big who knocks down open shots provided he can keep his confidence up...

outside of the usual roster requests (shooter, defensive 3)... I think we need subtle changes in the coaching/management group...

I would move Isiah back to President of bball ops... Bring in Jerry West as a team consultant or GM... This way... we get Mr. Basketball helping to inform Isiah about his trades/free agent signings and both are great talent scouts (West oversaw the 00 - 02 Laker dynasty)...

I would also move Herb to Head Coach again and let him build with this group... he is the only member of the coaching staff who has been with the Knicks through all this madness... and he managed 39 wins with less talent than Isiah and LB had...

this stops the endless coaching carousel and provides some consistency for the players and Isiah's front office moves would be as well thought out and tempered as his post game conferences...

These moves won't make any real headlines (maybe West would), but it is very similar to the route Toronto and Jersey (both Atlantic division rivals) took back to respectability...

Exactly.

Why can't Isiah be like Jerry or Thorn? No more Francises, Currys or Crawfords...Lets get more guys like Raja Bell, Anthony Parker, Jose Calderon, Andres Nicioni, etc.

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
Exactly.

Why can't Isiah be like Jerry or Thorn? No more Francises, Currys or Crawfords...Lets get more guys like Raja Bell, Anthony Parker, Jose Calderon, Andres Nicioni, etc.

Yeah, Metro...You mean players that may not be gifted athletes, but have hi BBall IQ, kind of like the Knicks in the early 90s did, not the circus act we have now that kills chemistry like Nate and Franchise. I wish we had guys like that.

paris401

Starter
Yeah, Metro...You mean players that may not be gifted athletes, but have hi BBall IQ, kind of like the Knicks in the early 90s did, not the circus act we have now that kills chemistry like Nate and Franchise. I wish we had guys like that.

yessss... unfort. other then a draft choice, we have little chance to change the makeup of this years team.. i highly doubt It will be able to do a sign and trade for any of the upcoming free agents... no body wants our dog-duty...

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
yessss... unfort. other then a draft choice, we have little chance to change the makeup of this years team.. i highly doubt It will be able to do a sign and trade for any of the upcoming free agents... no body wants our dog-duty...

Do you think Barnum and Bailey might want them as a sideshow during their Showboating routine? Oh wait, they already left town...No luck

paris401

Starter
Do you think Barnum and Bailey might want them as a sideshow during their Showboating routine? Oh wait, they already left town...No luck

shit i'd pay the airfare to get rid of burger-king,franchise,and jefferies... who by the way needs a nickname.. any ideas???

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
shit i'd pay the airfare to get rid of burger-king,franchise,and jefferies... who by the way needs a nickname.. any ideas???

I got one for IT: Mother Theresa. He is the most loving and kind man in the NBA for giving the likes of two JJs multi-million dollar deals. They probably would not even start in the DLeague, but you gotta feel the love and warmth of this humanitarians heart for these two bums. Imagine if IT was your father growing up? If you had a C- average in school he would buy you a brand new BMW! What a guy.

Last edited:

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer

How "Junior" for Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, but that might not work b/c they are on the dollar menu, too much of a bargain for him

metrocard

Legend

Co-sign with this post.