Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No (Phil jackson)

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • No (some other coach)

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

CA7

Scoring Champ
Woodson is as stubborn as Di'antoni. Out with the old and in with the new. Erik Spoelestra is young and smart.

He has Wade and LeBron they make any coach look good, what did he do with the Heat since he took over, ****, until LeBron came

CA7

Scoring Champ
Woodson: Melo has to raise his game
May, 4, 2012
MAY 4
4:44
PM ET
By Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com
RECOMMEND2TWEET5COMMENTS64EMAILPRINT
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Friday afternoon's media session with Mike Woodson felt more like an exit interview than a look-ahead to Game 4.

Reporters' questions and Woodson's answers came across like the Knicks already got swept in the first round of the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The tipping off point was Woodson saying, "There's a lot of things that's got to be changed."

Woodson said his ultimate goals for the Knicks, if he's back next season as head coach (without the interim tag), is for them to place in the top four spots in the Eastern Conference and win the Atlantic Division, so they can host their first-round series and move on.

"That?s important when you start out in a playoff series," he said. "You have to host at home."

In order for the team to do that, Woodson said a few things need to be addressed. The first centers around star player Carmelo Anthony. Simply put, the coach said Melo has to raise his game and conditioning level in the offseason.

"Expectations are not going to change here in New York, and they shouldn't, rightfully so," Woodson said. "[Melo's] got to do some things this summer to better his game, as well as Tyson [Chandler] and Amare [Stoudemire], and all the supporting cast that might return. If I'm the head coach, I've got to make sure that happens because that's the only way you're going to get out of the rut, in terms of being a first-round exit. [Melo's] got to change that. Us not winning a playoff game, that's got to change on my part, along with the guys that return."

Woodson specifically said Anthony has to get in better shape. While insiders have never questioned the training approach of his sidekick, Stoudemire -- visibly he always look fit and several veteran NBA trainers agree he has one of the strongest cores -- they did, however, with Anthony, especially coming into the shortened season.

"I think [Melo's] made major strides this year. When we started this journey, he made guys around him better and he was better for it," Woodson said. "I just think there's got to be a continuation. I've got to push him to be in better shape when you start the season. Everybody's got to be in better shape. There's got to be some changes for this team to really get to the next level."

There were times in the middle of the season where Anthony looked tired and didn't have his legs under him, even though his right-wrist injury was another cause for his poor shooting from February to mid-March. Now in the playoffs, the Heat's MO has been to wear him down and they've done that, not allowing him to catch fire in the second half and fourth quarter -- the latter where he's known to have his performances.

Melo's got the size to get by defenders at 6-8, 230, but sometimes he looks rugged and seems to expend too much energy driving to the basket. And as a result, he doesn't always bring it on the defensive end.

The second major thing that Woodson mentioned is on his summer schedule is to help Anthony and Stoudemire work together better on the court. In fact, so far they're 0-7 in playoff games, from last year against the Celtics to currently against the Heat.

"There is hope," Woodson said, referring to their playing relationship. "This summer will be very pivotal for a lot of the players that are on this team that will be coming back, in terms of a development stage. There's a lot of things that have to happen this summer. But if I am back, this summer is going to be very pivotal in terms of developing these guys."

"They've got to be better, and Melo has got to be better. I know a couple of those guys might have a shot at playing on the Olympic team. As an organization, it's my job or it will be my job, and the staff, to better this team and develop the players to the point where this won't happen next season."

While Woodson didn't address all of the questions surrounding the Knicks' future -- there was still Game 4 to talk about -- he discussed some of the ways how the meat of the team (Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler) can step it up in Season 2. Woodson's straight-to-the-point messages was just another example of how he demands accountability. Will Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler continue to buy in? Their support will bring Woodson back.

Beyond those "big pieces of the puzzle," which Woodson always says referring to the Knicks' Big Three, in order for the team to fill out their roster heading into training camp, they'll need a starting point guard (likely Jeremy Lin), an initial replacement for Iman Shumpert (free agency), a sixth-man scorer (would J.R. Smith sign for less?), a stretch four off the bench (would Steve Novak follow suit?) and a younger and more athletic version of Jared Jeffries (Shumpert once referred to Jeremy Evans as the prototype for that backup big man position).

The Knicks have been renting well, but the question is: Do they have enough money to own?

Woodson has a vision and he turned this season around, I say keep him and let him continue his vision

iSaYughh

Starter
He has Wade and LeBron they make any coach look good, what did he do with the Heat since he took over, ****, until LeBron came

Of course. People need to not nuthug these coaches so much.

Coaches aren't geniuses, really. And this is a game played and won by players, not coaches.

You need the talent, and you need the right type of talent. It's that simple. The final piece is a coach who happens to be non-retarded and who's style/system syncs up well with that talent.

To Spo's credit, he has found a way to give MIA a pretty nice offensive system this year. But it's not rocket science. He isn't reinventing the wheel, or trail blazing some brilliant basketball way of winning.

I don't consider Doc Rivers a great coach, either.

I don't believe in great coaches, period. There are good coaches and morons. And neither is immune to looking like a moron if they don't have the right roster.

edit -- maybe you could say Jackson and Pop are great coaches, primarily by the sheer longetivity and consistency of their success....despite both of them always having talent.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Of course. People need to not nuthug these coaches so much.

Coaches aren't geniuses, really. And this is a game played and won by players, not coaches.

You need the talent, and you need the right type of talent. It's that simple. The final piece is a coach who happens to be non-retarded and who's style/system syncs up well with that talent.

To Spo's credit, he has found a way to give MIA a pretty nice offensive system this year. But it's not rocket science. He isn't reinventing the wheel, or trail blazing some brilliant basketball way of winning.

I don't consider Doc Rivers a great coach, either.

I don't believe in great coaches, period. There are good coaches and morons. And neither is immune to looking like a moron if they don't have the right roster.

edit -- maybe you could say Jackson and Pop are great coaches, primarily by the sheer longetivity and consistency of their success....despite both of them always having talent.

agreed, we're fine with Woodson and I know what a lot of our problems are, the 1st is consistency not only on the court but personnel, if we keep switching players and coaches we'll never reach our potential, the Heat added 2 role players, the Knicks added, 10 new guys if my count is right(Anthony, Stoudemire, Fields and Jeffries were the only rotation guys who played last year), Toney doesn't play and we added Lin, Smith, Shumpert, Novak, Harrellson, Jordan, Chandler, Davis, Bibby and Gadzuric

we have a core now lets establish our identity and get the ball rollin

iSaYughh

Starter
agreed, we're fine with Woodson and I know what a lot of our problems are, the 1st is consistency not only on the court but personnel, if we keep switching players and coaches we'll never reach our potential, the Heat added 2 role players, the Knicks added, 10 new guys if my count is right(Anthony, Stoudemire, Fields and Jeffries were the only rotation guys who played last year), Toney doesn't play and we added Lin, Smith, Shumpert, Novak, Harrellson, Jordan, Chandler, Davis, Bibby and Gadzuric

True. There's a lot to be said for consistency too. I need to lay off Woodson some myself and not refer my angers with elements of this franchise onto him.

I guess if Jackson will come he comes. But outside of that, I'd have to agree n say absolutely no to anyone else; and give Woodson a legit chance, let him stay, and let's see what he can do with a full off season of finally a legit roster that stays together.

If by all-star break things look super whack, maybe we have to find a new coach. But honestly, at that pt, we will know our problems are much deeper than the coach.

Haha. I just posted the same thing in another thread...

I agree.:thumbsup:

CA7

Scoring Champ
True. There's a lot to be said for consistency too. I need to lay off Woodson some myself and not refer my angers with elements of this franchise onto him.

I guess if Jackson will come he comes. But outside of that, I'd have to agree n say absolutely no to anyone else; and give Woodson a legit chance, let him stay, and let's see what he can do with a full off season of finally a legit roster that stays together.

If by all-star break things look super whack, maybe we have to find a new coach. But honestly, at that pt, we will know our problems are much deeper than the coach.

if a full training camp doesn't work I'm all for blowing it up and starting from scratch ala OKC

Haha. I just posted the same thing in another thread...

I agree.:thumbsup:

lol its the truth dude, when's the last time the Knicks had a consistent core and identity.......2001 maybe :gony:

skisloper

Starter

Simple question:
If you could have Phil Jackson sign a 3 year deal or Woodson who would you want ?

skisloper

Starter
if a full training camp doesn't work I'm all for blowing it up and starting from scratch ala OKC

lol its the truth dude, when's the last time the Knicks had a consistent core and identity.......2001 maybe :gony:

We already do not have our SG for Training camp....But it will be fun to see a starting 5 of Lin, Shump, Melo, Stat and CHandler.....even more fun if PHIL JACKSON IS THE COACH

CA7

Scoring Champ
Simple question:
If you could have Phil Jackson sign a 3 year deal or Woodson who would you want ?

Lets see Melo is 27 and will be 28 on the 29th, so having Phil for 3 years means we'll have him until Melo is 31 maybe the last year he's in his Prime Prime, if Phil comes I want him to bring a legit assistant someone who will take over after him but will have a large role while he's here so the players become comfortable in the system. If we get Phil and then add a different coach with a new system then NO

Phil Jackson for 3 years means at least 3 ECF and at least a finals appearance and a potential Championship

So if he brings a legit assistant then I'm down

We already do not have our SG for Training camp....But it will be fun to see a starting 5 of Lin, Shump, Melo, Stat and CHandler.....even more fun if PHIL JACKSON IS THE COACH

Shumpert will be back the earliest November(unlikely) and latest January, but at least we have a core starting 5 now we gotta lock up the supporting cast.

skisloper

Starter
Lets see Melo is 27 and will be 28 on the 29th, so having Phil for 3 years means we'll have him until Melo is 31 maybe the last year he's in his Prime Prime, if Phil comes I want him to bring a legit assistant someone who will take over after him but will have a large role while he's here so the players become comfortable in the system. If we get Phil and then add a different coach with a new system then NO

Phil Jackson for 3 years means at least 3 ECF and at least a finals appearance and a potential Championship

So if he brings a legit assistant then I'm down

Shumpert will be back the earliest November(unlikely) and latest January, but at least we have a core starting 5 now we gotta lock up the supporting cast.

I only picked 3 years because that when our big 3 contracts expire but I imagine it will be a 4 year deal with a 35-40 million price tag.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
If we can strike gold and acquire Phil Jackson, then im all for it

But

If we cant, i wouldn't mind giving Woodson more time. Only because he's had such little time to work with our players and it's not completely fair to judge him based off this series with half the roaster injured

iSaYughh

Starter
I never thought Jax would come here. But I've changed my mind.

This would actually have real legacy (and pride) implications for him.

Unlike the Lakeshow....despite us being talented, nobody actually expects us to win and be legit. We're still cast in the shadows of the Dark Ages of the NYK empire.

Jackson coming, and making a winner out of us, would cement his legacy firmly above pretty much any coach in NBA history, IMHO. And there would be no counter-arguments anymore about just winning with well-oiled, HOF juggernauts who were expected to win (a la Cashman winning chips with the Yanks, but to a lesser degree).

I just don't know if anybody would want to work with Dolan. Idk.....Unless you needed the $ jump (which Jax doesnt).

KBlack25

Starter
I don't think we get Phil Jackson to be honest.

I think Dolan will go after another big name though, and it wouldn't shock me if John Calipari was standing on our sidelines next year.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
It would be a waste of time b/c he is to old and would only coach for about two years.I want a coach that will be hear for a while and good ofcourse.

iSaYughh

Starter
I don't think we get Phil Jackson to be honest.

I think Dolan will go after another big name though, and it wouldn't shock me if John Calipari was standing on our sidelines next year.

Idk why Calipari would come either...but ****, many a prey have fallen for the Dolan paycheck combined with big city prospects and basketball lure of MSG.

Call me crazy, but I think it's Jackson or Woodson. When Dolan and MDA beefed and split, the centerpiece was Melo -- and Woodson, a natural, copacetic fit with Melo, became coach as result. Melo has also played extremely well since Woodson took over. Dolan wants, more than anything, for Melo to play extremely well.

*Dolan stuck his paws into the deal for Melo and cemented his rep further as a horrible owner to work under.

*Dolan parted ways with Walsh, a pseudo-NYK savior who most liked, again, with circumstances surrounding Melo.

*Dolan then parted ways with another high-profile coach, again, with circumstances directly surrounding Melo.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
Dolan is a type of dude who can damage your reputation for good .... oh yeah he pays u well but who wants all the goddam headaches and sh1t that comes with dealing with Dolan...

Dolan destroys his front office continuously and lets the media and dumbasses have all the say in matters concerning the future of the team.
He gives no fuok about winning, the Knicks team name by itself earns enough dough to keep him happy...

Imagine a team like Spurs letting Popovich go for some dumb reasons.
If Pops was here he'd be fired by Dolan somehow..

PJ aka the Zen Master understands this ish.

Paul1355

All Star
i don't think Phil Jackson would change this team that much, you will still have the same problems and Woody never had Lin healthy for a while

Davis is a huge disappointment and washed up

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
i don't think Phil Jackson would change this team that much, you will still have the same problems and Woody never had Lin healthy for a while

Davis is a huge disappointment and washed up

no surprise at all,
he is an amnesty waive for godssake

Kiyaman

Legend
I like what he's done. Injuries hurt us this year. I like Woodson because he is a no nonsense coach. He preaches Defense and holds everyone accountable. Not all coaches do this. I don't think there is a better coach (thats available) for this group of guys. I can't blame him for the way we are being treated in the post season, we are suffering because we are lacking depth. If we had a full healthy roster and still received these results...I'll have no prob shopping around.

I too, like what Woody's done during the regular season, annnnnd I dont see a better headcoach available this offseason. I understand "interim" Woody's decision to give the helm of the offense to Melo & JR to run in a losing postseason series. I dont like it, but I do understand it.

Knicks fans need to get their mind off of Phil Jackson & Sloan, they are executive material headcoach who will not accept a 3rd tier G.M. Grunwald pick of litter FA he signed from the bottom of the market to fill the roster.