D-League guy you'd love for us to sign

CA7

Scoring Champ
As the title states

Morris Almond 6-6 SG- He played for us before but honestly we know D'Antoni never gave him a shot, he was a former 1st round pick by Utah and you know they have some of the best scouts in league. Anyway he's scoring 22ppg on 57% shooting, 43% from 3. I honestly think he could start for us. I see him as a Wes Matthews type glue guy. Very cheap, blue collar guy. Perfect 2 Guard.

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
jeremy lin had a triple double and jerome jordan had 28 points in the d league do i need to keep talking? and was i in a coma when he played for the knicks? i dont recall him being on a knicks squad

CA7

Scoring Champ
jeremy lin had a triple double and jerome jordan had 28 points in the d league do i need to keep talking? and was i in a coma when he played for the knicks? i dont recall him being on a knicks squad

few summers ago he played for our summer league team and was a camp invite, this kid was suppose to be the starting 2 Guard for Utah but they had s much veterans and couldn't move them he just sat on the bench and played in the D-League, kid is legit to me. I'm not saying he'll be an All Star but he has the skill set we need at the 2

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
few summers ago he played for our summer league team and was a camp invite, this kid was suppose to be the starting 2 Guard for Utah but they had s much veterans and couldn't move them he just sat on the bench and played in the D-League, kid is legit to me. I'm not saying he'll be an All Star but he has the skill set we need at the 2

i guess your right in a sense but for now fields looks like he's getting better and his confidence is definitely high. hes also looking like he's getting alot smarter on the court so we'll see if not go for it. actually if they trade douglas for sessions which i believe they are trying to do then he'd be a decent pick up

finestrg

Rotation player
I can definitely see the attraction with Almond. Going back a few yrs ago when we were looking at Almond in the draft and then again when he fell out of favor in Utah and ended up in Sloan's doghouse, I was all over this dude...I thought he would've been a no-brainer...Good shooter, monster scorer at Rice, the Allan Houston comparisons were out there (similar 6'6" off-guard that can fill it up & put up numbers like H2O), etc..I was really into him big-time..Then I saw him play for us in summer ball and came away with a different opinion entirely...I wasn't that impressed with what I saw...Very mechanical, a little on the slow side, turned the ball over, shaky handle, just didn't look as fluid as I expected (nowhere near as fluid as Houston). Nice, strong-looking build on him but he wasn't that athletic at all.

Worth a shot though I guess...I'm always looking for the upgrade anyway we can get it...How I look at 2G right now -- outside of that little hiccup in Houston where he went scoreless, Fields has been playing much better. Confidence is way up from where it was and that's good to see finally...So if anything, I feel we should be looking for a backup 2, someone better than Walker, or a better option than Fields. Not sure Almond could ever take Landry's job away from him but he might be better than Walker...Maybe we give him a look. The numbers are once again impressive -- they always are with Almond..

The DL guy I really wanted us to take a chance on (or one of them anyway) is Willie Warren...Was playing with the RGV Vipers backing up Ben Uzoh at the point -- now he's not listed on their roster anymore (not even listed anywhere on the NBDL's web site anymore) & I can't find any info on what happened or where he went. I wonder what the hell happened -- WW was playing well for that club -- running the team efficiently when Uzoh sat (he really is an underrated passer and unselfish---I don't buy any of the nonsense out there that he can't play the point, not with what I've seen with my own eyes), even playing well together with Uzoh for stretches, and he's always been a good scorer that can penetrate at will with a tremendous, creative handle and a good first step. Can shoot a little too, even though he needs to put a little bit more arc on his shot (his release needs to be cleaned up just a tad)...I liked his potential though. Still do...To be fair, the only criticism that does seem a little true is the fact that he doesn't go all out on D all the time..But otherwise, this guy's very talented. Right before he signed with RGV he was talking about packing it in with pro ball for good. Apparently he was a little disappointed with how things have gone for him so far and may not be totally committed to doing what it takes and going the hard way to achieve his dream..Only speculation but there may be some truth to it, esp. with him talking about calling it quits before his career ever even got off the ground here...Maybe that's what just happened recently -- maybe he stepped away from basketball..Still trying to confirm..Of course, if true that would be alarming and I'm dissappointed that he may not have a tough mental makeup but nevertheless, I still feel the man has big-time talent...I actually see a poor man's Baron Davis with this guy skill-wise. Just my own opinion but in the right setting (playing for a pro club that gave him a shot and believed in his ability) I feel Warren could be very good and realize his full potential..

A DL SG I continue to like for us is Manny Harris. Young, 6'5" close to 200, very athletic (much more athletic than Morris Almond), and he showed nice potential with the Cavs last year at the NBA level (which has gotta mean something). Liked him a lot at Michigan...He can do some things -- score, drive, pass, shoot from deep, rebound. I know the shooting percentages have never been there, but I dunno man, I still like Harris anyway. I see a lot of talent with this kid. I see a pro 2G all the way...Unlike a Bill Walker who's soft and never takes the ball to the hoop with any regularity at all, never plays D, never goes to the glass, etc., Harris is looking to go to the rim any chance he gets, and he's willing to play D and rebound...Not sure if he's better than Fields but he'd be an upgrade over Walker imho.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I agree with Manny Harris, if we go for JR Smith, I rather get Manny Harris, cheaper less of a head ache, same production.

Almond was shaky at times but has since got a lot better, more fluid and smooth, plays off screens well and can spot up. Got the right build to be a good defender. Ideal 2G for us

KingofNy

Starter

Yea and they're both pretty damn good and ONLY get to play in garbage time. If the player isn't a superstar or buddy buddy with D'Antoni it doesn't matter how good he is cause he isn't playing. Just ask Corey Brewer and Anthony Randolph.

I would take Almond Joy over Giraffries ANY day of the week. Giraffries would average 2 PPG in 30 mins in the D-league. Tell me he wouldn't? You're underestimating the D-league because our coach doesn't know how to use his personnel.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Yea and they're both pretty damn good and ONLY get to play in garbage time. If the player isn't a superstar or buddy buddy with D'Antoni it doesn't matter how good he is cause he isn't playing. Just ask Corey Brewer and Anthony Randolph.

I would take Almond Joy over Giraffries ANY day of the week. Giraffries would average 2 PPG in 30 mins in the D-league. Tell me he wouldn't? You're underestimating the D-league because our coach doesn't know how to use his personnel.

lmao he would average 2. Just imagine D'Antoni keeping Anthony Randolph, Corey Brewer and Morris Almond. And grabbing Ramon Sessions when the Knicks had the chance instead of playing for cap room.

PG- Ramon Sessions/Iman Shumpert
SG- Morris Almond/Corey Brewer
SF- Carmelo Anthony/Landry Fields
PF- Amar'e Stoudemire/Anthony Randolph
C- Tyson Chandler/Josh Harrellson
Others- Steve Novak, Renaldo Balkman, Jeremy Lin, Jerome Jordan

I mean talk about depth, offense, defense, passing, not much shooting but effective enough when open. Rebounding, size and length. Thats how you build a team

finestrg

Rotation player
lmao he would average 2. Just imagine D'Antoni keeping Anthony Randolph, Corey Brewer and Morris Almond. And grabbing Ramon Sessions when the Knicks had the chance instead of playing for cap room.

I mean talk about depth, offense, defense, passing, not much shooting but effective enough when open. Rebounding, size and length. Thats how you build a team

That would be a good team.

Hearing a lot of talk about Ramon Sessions lately...What's it gonna take to get this guy? Keep in mind the dude's making over $4.25M this yr (and $4.55M next season - player option) and the Cavs have a full roster at 15. Looks like both the Knicks & Cavs are over the cap -- wouldn't we have to come up with $4.25M (give or take) going out in the trade? And with a full roster set at 15, wouldn't the Cavs have to open up roster spots because we'd need to deal a package of guys to come close to equaling Sessions' salary, no? It might be a more complicated trade than it would seem...I wish we could go TD for Sessions and be done with it but I don't think it'll be that easy..

This guy Sessions is pretty good ---- I have no idea, but I think they'd want Iman and Jorts to start (would they really want TD, as bad as he's looked this yr? I mean they already have Boobie Gibson, another small 2 that's not really a point---and Gibson's a better shooter than Douglas), then maybe Fields and Walker to balance the deal money-wise...Do you even think about putting Shumpert in this deal? I dunno.. Just looking at Sessions' stats and I see that his FG% has taken a nose-dive this year (34.8%)..What's up with that? He's not playing hurt is he? I wouldn't wanna deal for this guy if he wasn't 100%. Just having trouble adjusting to a bench role behind Irving maybe? I haven't followed that team than closely to know what the deal is...Tell ya what, if Jorts had to be a part of this, I'd like to get Samardo Samuels back to take his place. That dude's effective, tough and underrated...

Just curious what you guys think --- rank these 3 PGs (who's better for us at this point -- you figure all 3 could be had right now for the right price): Ramon Sessions, Luke Ridnour, Jose Calderon. Sessions because he's a lot younger?

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
From I've heard lately Cavs are looking for 1st round picks in exchange for Sessions and it's very unlikely that they trade him to New York, simply because we don't have an individual player that we could trade. They'd have to drop at least two of their current players to make place for assets they'd receive from us. I'd say a mix of Douglas, Balkman and Walker could do it, especially because they wouldn't have to keep RB and BW whose contracts expire next offseason...

KingofNy

Starter

Yup exactly. Only if we managed the team... lol

CA7

Scoring Champ
That would be a good team.

Hearing a lot of talk about Ramon Sessions lately...What's it gonna take to get this guy? Keep in mind the dude's making over $4.25M this yr (and $4.55M next season - player option) and the Cavs have a full roster at 15. Looks like both the Knicks & Cavs are over the cap -- wouldn't we have to come up with $4.25M (give or take) going out in the trade? And with a full roster set at 15, wouldn't the Cavs have to open up roster spots because we'd need to deal a package of guys to come close to equaling Sessions' salary, no? It might be a more complicated trade than it would seem...I wish we could go TD for Sessions and be done with it but I don't think it'll be that easy..

This guy Sessions is pretty good ---- I have no idea, but I think they'd want Iman and Jorts to start (would they really want TD, as bad as he's looked this yr? I mean they already have Boobie Gibson, another small 2 that's not really a point---and Gibson's a better shooter than Douglas), then maybe Fields and Walker to balance the deal money-wise...Do you even think about putting Shumpert in this deal? I dunno.. Just looking at Sessions' stats and I see that his FG% has taken a nose-dive this year (34.8%)..What's up with that? He's not playing hurt is he? I wouldn't wanna deal for this guy if he wasn't 100%. Just having trouble adjusting to a bench role behind Irving maybe? I haven't followed that team than closely to know what the deal is...Tell ya what, if Jorts had to be a part of this, I'd like to get Samardo Samuels back to take his place. That dude's effective, tough and underrated...

Just curious what you guys think --- rank these 3 PGs (who's better for us at this point -- you figure all 3 could be had right now for the right price): Ramon Sessions, Luke Ridnour, Jose Calderon. Sessions because he's a lot younger?

Well with his 4.25M salary we only have to send 3.1875 to Cleveland, we still have part of cash exception as I think we only sent 1.5mil to Washington in the trade since we moved Rautins and Chandler is making 2M less than Billups was making. So We got 1.5M, we need about 1.7M, Toney or Billy and Landry or Renaldo, Jerome/Toney, I mean we got the cap figures its just our players aren't that good. Our next 1st available is 2016 if I'm not mistaken, its a long shot but anything is possible

finestrg

Rotation player
OK gotcha. Thanks for explaining the figures..

You know what bro, the more I think about Mo Almond, the more I like your idea of bringing him in. Thing is, the way he plays (primarily coming off curls and screens looking to shoot), he's really gonna need a good PG to set him up properly. If we brought him in now minus a true floor general, we'd have the same problem with him that we're having with Amar'e, Melo & Fields (esp. STAT). Asking STAT to create something 15-20' from the rim is just not the guy's forte and when he's forced to do so, he either coughs it up or winds up taking a difficult, low % shot...Same deal with Almond -- I don't think that's his game either. He doesn't strike me as having great one-on-one skills...Like these other 3, sure Almond can put it on the deck a little, but to ask him to do so continually because Toney Douglas has no friggin' clue how to run an offense and deliever the ball will present the same problem we're seeing now with our current players. We wouldn't nearly be seeing Almond at his best in terms of what kind of impact he could have for us. Our lack of PG play is so aggravating and downright embarrassing...It's our achilles' heel right now above anything else.

Hey if push comes to shove though, I'm down with what you're saying -- grab Almond now (to make room I'd cut Walker loose in a nano sec unless I knew I could include him in a forthcoming trade soon), and worry about fixing the PG problem later or whenever a good solution presents itself...Hopefully in a week or so, we get Baron Davis back. If this dude can get out there and give us decent mins., I honestly believe we've gonna see a huge difference. We still might have some kinks to work through (Davis is gonna be rusty big-time, D'Antoni will continue do things---or not do things---that'll make us all scratch are heads, etc.) but a true playmaker will really allow this team to rise to a whole new level and allow each player to finally play to his strengths. I can't wait for us to finally put a legit playmaker on the floor man...It's the biggest thing holding us back right now. In the meantime, bring in Almond. He'd be an upgrade at 2G (definitely over Walker) and for the backcourt as a whole.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
OK gotcha. Thanks for explaining the figures..

You know what bro, the more I think about Mo Almond, the more I like your idea of bringing him in. Thing is, the way he plays (primarily coming off curls and screens looking to shoot), he's really gonna need a good PG to set him up properly. If we brought him in now minus a true floor general, we'd have the same problem with him that we're having with Amar'e, Melo & Fields (esp. STAT). Asking STAT to create something 15-20' from the rim is just not the guy's forte and when he's forced to do so, he either coughs it up or winds up taking a difficult, low % shot...Same deal with Almond -- I don't think that's his game either. He doesn't strike me as having great one-on-one skills...Like these other 3, sure Almond can put it on the deck a little, but to ask him to do so continually because Toney Douglas has no friggin' clue how to run an offense and deliever the ball will present the same problem we're seeing now with our current players. We wouldn't nearly be seeing Almond at his best in terms of what kind of impact he could have for us. Our lack of PG play is so aggravating and downright embarrassing...It's our achilles' heel right now above anything else.

Hey if push comes to shove though, I'm down with what you're saying -- grab Almond now (to make room I'd cut Walker loose in a nano sec unless I knew I could include him in a forthcoming trade soon), and worry about fixing the PG problem later or whenever a good solution presents itself...Hopefully in a week or so, we get Baron Davis back. If this dude can get out there and give us decent mins., I honestly believe we've gonna see a huge difference. We still might have some kinks to work through (Davis is gonna be rusty big-time, D'Antoni will continue do things---or not do things---that'll make us all scratch are heads, etc.) but a true playmaker will really allow this team to rise to a whole new level and allow each player to finally play to his strengths. I can't wait for us to finally put a legit playmaker on the floor man...It's the biggest thing holding us back right now. In the meantime, bring in Almond. He'd be an upgrade at 2G (definitely over Walker) and for the backcourt as a whole.

Yeah he's def the best player in the D-League right now, Walker is a spot monkey who has a good game every 10 days, Almond will give us 8pts in about 16minutes easily because his game is what we all want Fields, to be, he's really H20-Lite in every way

If Baron isn't the answer this is a great plan B to add to our back court

finestrg

Rotation player
Watching Almond play right now -- Maine Red Claws vs. Fort Wayne Mad Ants, live on Futurecast right off the NDL web site..Nothing spectacular from Mo yet, he's got about 10 pts halfway through.

finestrg

Rotation player
All in all a solid game for Almond so far -- 14 pts at the half, 4-7, FG, 6-6 FT. He's got good size & a good build for a 2 and he's got a nice grace/maturity about his game. Never looks rushed and never looking to force anything..Letting it all come to him...Runs the floor pretty well too, filling the lane...Looks like he's got a pretty long reach/wing span with allows him to finish pretty well off the window (able to extend wide on the finish with good touch -- looks like it would be hard to block one of his layup attempts when he has a good look off a drive). Good FT shooter -- looks automatic from the line.

CA7

Scoring Champ
All in all a solid game for Almond so far -- 14 pts at the half, 4-7, FG, 6-6 FT. He's got good size & a good build for a 2 and he's got a nice grace/maturity about his game. Never looks rushed and never looking to force anything..Letting it all come to him...Runs the floor pretty well too, filling the lane...Looks like he's got a pretty long reach/wing span with allows him to finish pretty well off the window (able to extend wide on the finish with good touch -- looks like it would be hard to block one of his layup attempts when he has a good look off a drive). Good FT shooter -- looks automatic from the line.

Hopefully Grunweld gives him a call and D'Antoni can give him a shot