2012-13 Jason Kidd Player Performance and News Thread

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I honestly think this is a stupid move to give him that much money if they weren't going to keep Jeremy Lin. He's probably pissed about it too, I don't think he's excited about the prospect of playing with Raymond Felton - who would be?

Kidd cited the Knicks as having more chips to work with when he verballed, but since Kidd left Dallas, Dallas, has picked up Brand, Darren Collison, Dahntay Jones, OJ Mayo, Chris Kaman to put around Dirk. Knicks have lost Lin.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
image.jpg

metrocard

Legend
Is anyone else here hoping for a comeback season for Kidd? I'm talking about 28-32 points putting up 7 ppg 9 assist and 5-6 rebounds with great defense and outside 3pt shooting. I feel Kidd is capable due to his range of skills and attributes. It's just the physical aspect I'm concern with.

Either way, I hope Kidd is our man over Felton, never liked Felton as a PG; personal and logical reasons behind it.

Prigioni can maybe surprise too, but then again at 35 and having his first season in the NBA, who know's how bad or good he can be.

p0nder

Starter
Felton has potential to steal/maintain the starting role But I think Kidd is a better answer for this team.

I'm still excited by the possibilities of our back court and with Lin out of the equation things become much simpler.

If Nash is considered a huge asset to the Lakers, why is Kidd not discussed the same way for the knicks? Kidd was a big part of the champion team in Dallas that was only 2 years ago, has he really declined that much in 2 years??? I don't think so. Is it because of the failed Billups experiment that we have this aversion to older guards? Or is it because we had the young Lin and gave him up? or what?

It just surprises me that Knicks fans aren't excited about having Kidd who used to ROAST the knicks every time he played in MSG.

metrocard

Legend
Kidd's defense, rebounding and passing would be an advantage at PG, rather have Felton earn the starting job than award to him.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Felton has potential to steal/maintain the starting role But I think Kidd is a better answer for this team.

I'm still excited by the possibilities of our back court and with Lin out of the equation things become much simpler.

If Nash is considered a huge asset to the Lakers, why is Kidd not discussed the same way for the knicks? Kidd was a big part of the champion team in Dallas that was only 2 years ago, has he really declined that much in 2 years??? I don't think so. Is it because of the failed Billups experiment that we have this aversion to older guards? Or is it because we had the young Lin and gave him up? or what?

It just surprises me that Knicks fans aren't excited about having Kidd who used to ROAST the knicks every time he played in MSG.
Yeah its just that Nash plays at a much higher level.. Or at least he puts up much better stats, and plays night in night out.. Nash Averaged a double double last season and lead the league in assists lol

THough I wouldn't really pay much attention to the 5 points and 6 assists Kidd averaged last season. They games were so close together that at his age it would have been not smart of him to really give it all every game. He clearly just kind of played it easy and took some nights off. But I dont think he will do that this season

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
But Nash has no defense. That gets in the way of Woodson's philosophy. If Dumb toni coached this team Nash would come in a heartbeat. But not any more.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Yeah its just that Nash plays at a much higher level.. Or at least he puts up much better stats, and plays night in night out.. Nash Averaged a double double last season and lead the league in assists lol

THough I wouldn't really pay much attention to the 5 points and 6 assists Kidd averaged last season. They games were so close together that at his age it would have been not smart of him to really give it all every game. He clearly just kind of played it easy and took some nights off. But I dont think he will do that this season

That's one of the more interesting things about Kidd's game, his gas management. He can easily put up a triple double in 28 minutes and not even sniff 5 rebounds in 40 minutes. His effort level is predicated on knowledge about his PT. If he knew he had KJ and Nash behind him, like in Phoenix, he went balls to the wall every minute, when he had Zoran Planinic behind him, he took it easy until the last 5 minutes. He had back issues last year, probably the lockout and unknown of the camp schedule. I think if he knows Felton will get 28-32 a night, we might see some big numbers from him. 5 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds in 20 minutes.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Jason Kidd Interview

The Knicks new backcourt addition is an NBA champion and 10-time All-Star embarking on a new challenge in the big city. Jason Kidd has displayed a knack for flourishing in different environments next to a variety of teammates with diverse skill sets.

In the early Dallas days, Kidd was one of the ?Three J?s? in the Jim Jackson and Jamal Mashburn trio. Five years later, the California standout formed a strong group in New Jersey with Kenyon Martin and Richard Jefferson. Kidd?s latest stop featured a talented crew, including Dirk Nowitzki, Tyson Chandler, and Jason Terry just to name a few of the stars on the Mavericks 2010-11 title team.

The 39-year old has seen it all throughout his storied career and he is eager to jump on the court with the new cast assembled in New York.

?The core of the team when you look at our frontline and you talk about Tyson in the middle, Amar?e [Stoudemire], and Carmelo [Anthony], you are talking about guys who are very athletic that understand what it takes to win and it?s going to be a lot of fun to be out on the floor with those guys,? Kidd said.

Another crafty veteran point guard, Steve Nash also changed zip codes this offseason. Nash and Kidd have drawn comparisons over the last decade and the new Knicks distributor witnessed the success of the Nash-Stoudemire duo in Phoenix.

?With Amar?e, I hope I can be like a Nash to be able to get him the ball where he likes it to be successful. Make it where he doesn?t have to work as hard, easy layups, catch and shoot where he likes it,? Kidd explained.

Speaking like a true point guard, Kidd assessed the Knicks leading scorer and how he can make life easier for Anthony in 2012-13.

?Melo is one of the top five players in the world,? Kidd smiled. ?For me it?s to get him touches that put the ball in the basket, so he doesn?t have to work so hard. He?s a guy that understands how to play and also understands how to win.?

Kidd is well aware of one player on the current New York Roster. Chandler suited up with the Mavericks in one magical championship season, joining forces with Kidd to topple the Heat in 2011.

The big man made quite an impression on Kidd during their time together in Big D, ?He brings a lot to the table, a lot of energy. He?s a consistent player that?s going to talk and keep guys motivated and with that, he is going to run the floor, finish above the rim, get a lot of rebounds and blocked shots, so I?m happy to be back with Tyson.?

Kidd is not only excited about the opportunity to unite a team featuring young and talented players such as Anthony, Stoudemire, and Chandler but the chance to make noise in the Eastern Conference on an experienced crew focused on a title.

?I think we have a team that is built with some athletes but some older guys that understand what it takes to be successful, so the sky is the limit,? Kidd stated.

http://knicksnow.com/videos/1667/kidd-s-new-crew

KingCharles34

All Star
12 points (3-5)
4 rebounds
3 assists
2 steals

J Kidd is timeless. They used to call him Ason Kidd back when he didnt have a jumpshot. The 3 shots he hit were all 3 pointers. I loved what Kidd and Felton both did, the way they controlled the tempo of the game and set the tone for the offense. Its been a while since we've had that at the PG position.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Cpt. Kidd: Cuban can't take my ring from me.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/jason_kidd_cuban_cant_take_away_my_ring/12159304

Kidd, 39, responded after practice Wednesday:?I don?t play for a jersey [in the rafters], I play for my teammates, Cuban owns the team, so he has every right to his opinion. The one thing he can?t take away is the championship ring that we helped him get.?

F Mark Cuban. One minute it's all "this is a business", then when he feels slighted, it's all about "commitment". I loved his speeches after their title, but this is plain douchery.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
At one point Cuban felt like he was MUFASA, i guess now he just feels SCARRED ... see what i did there

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
I have some things that I have wanted to say about Jason Kidd all day. I think hes actually made the biggest impact of any player on this team so far

Kidd still has his ability to impose his will on opposing teams and take over a game by being very assertive. Hes always reminded me of an angry drunk thats determined to get their way. Like the drunk guy at the bar that fights through four or five men to leave...and in Kidds case gets pulled over and arrested. That wasnt a good thing but that type of mentality on the basketball court is the reason why Jason Kidd is still one tough dude. He has done a great job helping Felton improve his all around game and I love the way Kidds not afraid to instruct Carmelo. Hes one of the ultimate competitor and he knows what it takes to win. His strong desire to win rubs off on all his teammates

Jason Kidd is A New Kind of Player

Jason Kidd has become more than just a Point guard or Shooting guard and is a new kind of player that is almost impossible to forge. A player that has no restriction in playing a position and can play any role for a team whether it be play the post, Shoot, Pick and Roll, Defend, anything we need he can provide and will do it efficiently and Crafty.

He is a hybrid of some of the most important aspects of Offense and Defense from both back court positions and fuses them to make a guy that is so valuable to any team and is the most important player on our team without having to shoot a single shot. His off the court leadership ties in to the way our team carries themselves on the court. We are now playing the way our coach and vets are teaching which goes a long way in the development of Carmelo and Jr who have both done a 360 in their quality of play. His unlimited knowledge has helped our team play professional, under control, and hard for the whole game and he will be key to Amar'e and Shump easing their way back into the chemistry of our team.

Point Guard Qualities:

1. Quickest passer in the league, He can move the ball around at a frenetic rate and find windows before they close. Also starts the chain movement of passing across the court to one another which is crucial because every point guard needs to know how to start a passing chain because you cannot always pass cross court to an open guy, so you must rely on your teammates to move the ball very quickly and J.Kidd is on of if not the best at doing this.

2. Knowing tempo, and understanding when to initiate a break and when to hold and set up a half court set. Jason Kidd rarely will be the finisher of a fast break but he will always know whether or not to start one when he has the ball. He does a great job at reading numbers and knowing if he should pass to ignite the break or give it up to Raymond to start a half court play.

3. Never in a rush to anything, does what he wants at his pace and wont be forced to panic and become nervous. He wont overreact to situations and try to pass into a bad spot or shoot too early, everything he does is at his own pace and not dictated by the other team.

4. Court Awareness and the ability to react to situations in the blink of an eye. He knows how to read various situations and has unteachable knowledge of the game. Knows when to double, knows when to go for the steals, knows when to foul and knows when to pass. All around this guy is a genius and masks his almost depleted athleticism with insane basketball knowledge which is keeping him in the league.

Shooting Guard Qualities:

1. Defending up to 3 positions. No point guard today can say they can do this at the consistency J.Kidd can. D'ing up Durant in the playoffs and playing Lebron is nothing to overlook. J Kidd has great footwork and impeccable anticipation and timing combined with a 6'4 frame and a ton of strength, this makes him a very good defender and he can hold his own on the perimeter and in the post equally as well. Combined with these qualities he has some amazingly quick hands that seem to have a mind of their own and can strip players when they try to Crossover, Spin or pass.

2. Shooting the deep ball is the lone quality that makes Kidd's career as long as it is. He is now a solid to good 3PT shooter and is great at finding the open spaces to get his shot off. Also has the awareness to draw fouls on defenders that over defend on his shot which adds to his already pretty good deep shooting threat.

3. Rebounding is a quality that has made J Kidd stand out from the rest of the elite QB's in NBA history, Besides the Big-O and Magic, there are few guards let alone PG's that rebound as well as Kidd. This quality is great for having extra possessions and grabbing the boards that our big men may miss.

4. Size is one thing that stands out when looking at Kidd, He is 6'4-6'5 and weighs about 210 pounds which alone makes him the size of a shooting guard and makes him bigger and stronger than any other Point Guard not named Deron Williams.

Jason Kidd although the stat sheet may not show, is vital to where we want to go,his leadership is extraordinary and his knowledge of the game is simply one of the best ever. In the process of going from an elite Point Guard to more of a Shooting Guard, he has made himself into a player that is not a Tweener but much more. A best of both worlds type of player that is no longer defined by position or is he restricted to one. He is now a kind of player that cant be made but has to be developed through years of experience and a true knowledge of the game, and that simply just doesn't happen often and when that player does evolve( I say evolve because of his increased knowledge) he will be highly revered by his team and will be a key chip on a championship team just like Kidd is or us. So i crown Jason Kidd's new position as "The Sensei Guard".