Smith had patella tendon surgery

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
J.R. Smith had patella tendon surgery & arthroscopy for a tear in the lateral meniscus, of his left knee, at the HSS in NYC... J.R. Smith's injuries were chronic and gradually worsened... Recovery time is approximately 12-16 weeks... JR could return between Oct 15 and Nov. 15, according to the Knicks timetable...

New New York

Quiet Storm
J.R. Smith had patella tendon surgery & arthroscopy for a tear in the lateral meniscus, of his left knee, at the HSS in NYC... J.R. Smith's injuries were chronic and gradually worsened... Recovery time is approximately 12-16 weeks... JR could return between Oct 15 and Nov. 15, according to the Knicks timetable...

Wow...just wow

Well now Tim Hardaway Jr's Playing time situation just improved

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
There's always a reason why a player botches his play. Very rare do you go from 3 great playoff games to 8 ****ty games to follow. He was aching and still played hard and gave it everything. We commend melo etc when they play hurt and still falter well Jr's no different. Hope he rushes back.

On another note I always thought hardaway was gonna get serious minutes but this just improved it drastically

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
I also heard Knicks looking to acquire an additional 2 PGs...

Could Prigioni play more 2 Guard this season???

Felton/FA???/Murry at PG???

FA - Aaron Brooks would fit good there...

Now that J.R. will be on the shelf, Hardaway Jr. along with possibly Prigioni at the 2...

Shumpert/Prigioni/Hardaway Jr.

MWP with Leslie at the 3... Could open the door for Raja Bell to make the team at SF...

MWP/Raja/Leslie

Anthony having Stoudemire and landing a return for Kenyon Martin to platoon with Stat would make sense...

Anthony/Stat/Martin

Speculation is Bargnani could start over Chandler also leaving door open for a roster spot for Jeremy Tyler...

Bargnani/Chandler/Tyler

This would give us many different lineups to work with while giving us something to build on for the future...

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
Didn't think about this before, but i actually like the idea of bringing Bell in after getting Artest. Can only strengthen the roster.

And nobody seems to think that the Knicks giving JR Smith a 4 year contract knowing that his knee is really messed up is wrong? lol

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
And nobody seems to think that the Knicks giving JR Smith a 4 year contract knowing that his knee is really messed up is wrong? lol

I think everything is making a big deal about the injury. The Knicks CHOSE to schedule surgery AFTER vegas, you think if it was serious they would be waiting for staff to come back from summer league?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
J.R. Smith's injury started in training camp

On Tuesday, Knicks GM Glen Grunwald revealed J.R. Smith's knee issues started as far back as training camp last fall. He also said Smith battled through them the entire season, even as the pain got worse.

Smith missed just two regular-season games while becoming the Sixth Man Award winner last season.

On Monday, Smith had patella tendon surgery and an arthroscopy for a tear in the lateral meniscus of his left knee. His recovery time is approximately 12 to 16 weeks.

"To his credit he battled through it the whole year and was a real warrior for us," Grunwald said. "At the end of the season, we knew it was probably likely that he would have surgery, but we wanted to see how it would react with a little bit of rest. We went through that period of time, not unlike what we did with [Carmelo Anthony] and his shoulder. And it turns out that the best thing for [Smith] and for us is to get the surgery done now.

"He's committed to doing all the rehab and getting himself back as soon as possible. J.R. has always been good in that regard in terms of his ability to work. I'm very hopeful that he'll be back by the time the regular season rolls around."

Grunwald clarified that it was Smith's decision for initially choosing rest over surgery, and then finally going under the knife. During the process, he consulted with the Knicks' medical staff.

"The decision is J.R.'s and he wanted to give it a chance to heal, which is perfectly understandable," Grunwald said. "We went through a period of rehab and it didn't get better."

Reflecting on the season, Grunwald admired Smith for his perseverance to play through pain.

"He struggled towards the end there, but to his credit, he battled through it and I think a lot of players might not have played with the pain that he had with it," he said.

Looking ahead, Grunwald expects Smith to have a full recovery, with no long-term implications.

"We're pretty comfortable that it's something that's fixable and won't present problems in the foreseeable future," he said. "J.R. is a good worker and the report from the surgeon was good. We're optimistic he'll be ready to go when the regular season rolls around."

Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com