Jerryd Bayless...Please

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
"Jerryd is the guy that is attacking and creating shots. He was the difference in this game going down the stretch, making big plays and big shots." - Nate McMillan after tonights win in Portland.

Bayless had 18 points off the bench in 21 minutes.

Why haven't we explored the option?!?! He's CHEAP (1.61 million dollars owed)

He would be an awesome long term solution at point that would barely cut in to our 2010 plan.

Only problem is that the contracts don't match up with anyone we could potentially offer since Bayless is so cheap.

Thoughts?

tiger0330

Legend
He's a good player. His contract expires in 2012. Teams usually don't trade productive players on rookie contracts. I like this kid Kyle Lowry that plays for Houston, here's an article that was written about him. Here's what I said about him in another thread and the article written about him.

I like this kid Kyle Lowry that plays for Houston, he's coming off a rookie contract and by and large has flown under the radar rather than some of the big name PGs. He's the best offensive rebounder at his position, creates a lot of easy baskets with his dribble penetration and is an outstanding defender even against bigger people.

Flying Under The Radar: Kyle Lowry The Best Of The Bench Bunch

Kyle Lowry has come a long way from being the 24th selection in one of the worst drafts in recent history.

Selected behind the likes of busts such as Adam Morrison, Saer Sene, Patrick O'Bryant, Hilton Armstrong, and countless others, Lowry is creeping into relevance in NBA circles with his gritty play and never quit attitude.

Soon he'll be creeping his way into the discussion of the top 10 PG's in the league.

No, I'm not kidding.

If you haven't had the pleasure of watching Kyle play, well, then you better find a way to get in front of a 42" plasma the next time the Rockets are on NBA TV.

I would say on TNT or ABC, but the Rockets weren't scheduled for any nationally televised games this year. Strange for a team in the top 15 of all relevant power rankings since the second week of the season.

While Kyle's averages seem modest at 8.5 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 1.1 steals, you have to look a little deeper to understand what makes him arguably the most important bench player in the NBA.

Listed at a generous 6'0", Kyle's per 36 minute ranks tell only half the story and are as follows: FTA (10th), Offensive Rebounds (1st), Defensive Rebounds (3rd), Total Rebounds (1st), Assists (9th), Steals (7th), Assist-to-Turnover Ratio (10th), and Charges Drawn (1st).

He also leads the Rockets in on plus/minus with a + 9.6. If there was a stat for hustle plays, I'm willing to bet the rent that Kyle would lead the league in that too.

For the other half of the story, you need to look past the box score.

Did I mention Lowry is the only 6 footer in the league with the ability to guard two positions? Despite his vertically challenged stature, Kyle holds opposing PG's to a PER of 15.0 and opposing SG's to 17.7.

Not bad considering he gives away at least 4 inches to almost every opposing SG in the league.

Kyle's versatility is integral to the success of the Rockets because it allows Aaron Brooks, the only legitimate scoring threat on the team, to play alongside him. The speed and pressure put forth by the Lowry-Brooks tandem makes them a near impossible cover for any team while not causing the Rox to give up too much on the defensive end.

Having Lowry and Brooks on the floor together also helps both players focus on their strengths. On offense, Lowry plays the one, and on defense he covers the two.

This allows Lowry to fight for offensive rebounds more aggressively since he doesn't need to worry about stopping the ball after a missed basket. He has mastered sneaking in behind defenders as soon as they come down with an uncontested board and poking the ball away usually resulting in an offensive rebound for a teammate (with no mention of his play in the box score).

This is a huge reason why the Rockets are fifth in the NBA in offensive rebounding despite starting the smallest center in NBA history, 6'6" Chuck Hayes.

Brooks on the other hand, gets to play off the ball which allows him to get open behind the line with more regularity. When you have a shooter on your team as lethal as Brooks, you have to find a way to get him open. If teams choose to guard Brooks 25 feet from the basket, he blows right by them and into the lane opening up the offense.

People laughed at Rockets GM Daryl Morey when he said trading away Rafer Alston in the three team deal at the trading deadline that netted the Rockets Lowry made them better at the point guard position.

How could it be that a guy who couldn't get significant minutes in Memphis could contribute on a playoff team? Well you have to look no further then the team that traded him. The Grizz have a history of being amongst the worst teams in the league when its comes to evaluating talent. I'm looking at you Stromile Swift. And you Marcus Banks. You too Darko.

Lowry becomes a restricted free agent after this year and you can be bet will be making a nice deposit in his bank account this offseason. Whether it will be courtesy of the Rockets, who declined to extend him this year, or another team remains to be seen.

For now, Lowry is limited to being the leader of the best bench in the NBA along with 6th man of the year candidate Carl Landry, high flying rookie Chase Budinger, and 29 year old rookie center David Andersen.

Last edited:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
He's a good player. His contract expires in 2012. Teams usually don't trade productive players on rookie contracts. I like this kid Kyle Lowry that plays for Houston, here's an article that was written about him. Here's what I said about him in another thread and the article written about him.

I like this kid Kyle Lowry that plays for Houston, he's coming off a rookie contract and by and large has flown under the radar rather than some of the big name PGs. He's the best offensive rebounder at his position, creates a lot of easy baskets with his dribble penetration and is an outstanding defender even against bigger people.

Flying Under The Radar: Kyle Lowry The Best Of The Bench Bunch

Kyle Lowry has come a long way from being the 24th selection in one of the worst drafts in recent history.

Selected behind the likes of busts such as Adam Morrison, Saer Sene, Patrick O'Bryant, Hilton Armstrong, and countless others, Lowry is creeping into relevance in NBA circles with his gritty play and never quit attitude.

Soon he'll be creeping his way into the discussion of the top 10 PG's in the league.

No, I'm not kidding.

If you haven't had the pleasure of watching Kyle play, well, then you better find a way to get in front of a 42" plasma the next time the Rockets are on NBA TV.

I would say on TNT or ABC, but the Rockets weren't scheduled for any nationally televised games this year. Strange for a team in the top 15 of all relevant power rankings since the second week of the season.

While Kyle's averages seem modest at 8.5 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 1.1 steals, you have to look a little deeper to understand what makes him arguably the most important bench player in the NBA.

Listed at a generous 6'0", Kyle's per 36 minute ranks tell only half the story and are as follows: FTA (10th), Offensive Rebounds (1st), Defensive Rebounds (3rd), Total Rebounds (1st), Assists (9th), Steals (7th), Assist-to-Turnover Ratio (10th), and Charges Drawn (1st).

He also leads the Rockets in on plus/minus with a + 9.6. If there was a stat for hustle plays, I'm willing to bet the rent that Kyle would lead the league in that too.

For the other half of the story, you need to look past the box score.

Did I mention Lowry is the only 6 footer in the league with the ability to guard two positions? Despite his vertically challenged stature, Kyle holds opposing PG's to a PER of 15.0 and opposing SG's to 17.7.

Not bad considering he gives away at least 4 inches to almost every opposing SG in the league.

Kyle's versatility is integral to the success of the Rockets because it allows Aaron Brooks, the only legitimate scoring threat on the team, to play alongside him. The speed and pressure put forth by the Lowry-Brooks tandem makes them a near impossible cover for any team while not causing the Rox to give up too much on the defensive end.

Having Lowry and Brooks on the floor together also helps both players focus on their strengths. On offense, Lowry plays the one, and on defense he covers the two.

This allows Lowry to fight for offensive rebounds more aggressively since he doesn't need to worry about stopping the ball after a missed basket. He has mastered sneaking in behind defenders as soon as they come down with an uncontested board and poking the ball away usually resulting in an offensive rebound for a teammate (with no mention of his play in the box score).

This is a huge reason why the Rockets are fifth in the NBA in offensive rebounding despite starting the smallest center in NBA history, 6'6" Chuck Hayes.

Brooks on the other hand, gets to play off the ball which allows him to get open behind the line with more regularity. When you have a shooter on your team as lethal as Brooks, you have to find a way to get him open. If teams choose to guard Brooks 25 feet from the basket, he blows right by them and into the lane opening up the offense.

People laughed at Rockets GM Daryl Morey when he said trading away Rafer Alston in the three team deal at the trading deadline that netted the Rockets Lowry made them better at the point guard position.

How could it be that a guy who couldn't get significant minutes in Memphis could contribute on a playoff team? Well you have to look no further then the team that traded him. The Grizz have a history of being amongst the worst teams in the league when its comes to evaluating talent. I'm looking at you Stromile Swift. And you Marcus Banks. You too Darko.

Lowry becomes a restricted free agent after this year and you can be bet will be making a nice deposit in his bank account this offseason. Whether it will be courtesy of the Rockets, who declined to extend him this year, or another team remains to be seen.

For now, Lowry is limited to being the leader of the best bench in the NBA along with 6th man of the year candidate Carl Landry, high flying rookie Chase Budinger, and 29 year old rookie center David Andersen.
Nice article. A lot of those thoughts that were presented in the article though were a little farfetched. I do not think Lowry has the potential at being a top 10 point guard in the NBA. I think he's a real good back up at best.

I really like Bayless and would probably still prefer him over Lowry. Bayless has a ton of potential that has yet to be seen, and he's shown numerous times that he can explode when given the minutes and the shot attempts.

Either way, I just want to be safe at PG in 2010!

I was listening to ESPN radio today and I heard an interesting scenario...

The Nets could potentially dump Devin Harris with the Lakers, take back Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown's expiring contracts and then in 2010, they will be able to dump almost all of their salary. This would open up enough cap room for the Nets to sign 2 max contracts and a bunch of decent players like Yi, maybe N8, Larry Hughes. Not to mention they are likely to get John Wall...

PG- Wall
SG- Lee
SF- LeBron
PF- Bosh
C- Lopez

Now that team is absolutely insane.

This scares me. So I think we need to make a move if we want any chance at LeBron/2010 redemption. I think Bayless would add to our young core and help us lure LeBron in.