Reaction to this Mavs Game

It is obvious to me that Felton should look to pass way more than shoot, I don't want to throw Felton under the bus because he has been great and a true leader/co-captain but now that he is in this slump I think he should limit himself to about 10 shots unless he has got it going. He put up some gaudy shots today and a lot of momentum killers, especially a three with us up three with 16 left on the shot clock in the 2nd Q when he had a hot and WIDE OPEN Gallo.I just want him too reel back a bit because it's starting to really hurt us and he has having some real bad hit or miss games.

Mozgov also looked like he had a little tentativeness at first and then when he got an alley oop he wanted to score on every possession( leading to him shooting 20fters and creating off the dribble) .He needs to focus and rewatch that Piston game to see how he hustle and scored on broken plays.
I still think he can play great if he continues to work with the Coaches and gets some minimal minutes.

Gallo brought his A game tonight got to the line give us energy and picked up the scoring when we were down. I think he needs to be incorporate in this offense as a playmaker when Felton also because he just passed the ball so effectively and TD is just not ready to man the point.

Fields did not have his best tonight as he missed on some threes( in and outs) and some jumpers, but he looked like he had energy tonight just tough luck on some of his shots.

Amare, He has been our Allstar MVP but something has got to give with his rebounding. Seriously he has the athleticism why is he such a poor rebounder?
He had 1 rebound by the half and finished the game with only 5 I think we need a legit double double run from STAT night in night out.

Rest of the team was okay Walker showed great hustle tonight and Williams was active tonight but bad calls killed him early. Turiaf we didn't see much of because the Mavs went small. TD played okay finished with 22 but Stat stuffed about 7pts in garbage time. Ar hit a three and Rautins got a little burn.
:gony::gony:

petescud

Starter
Either Dallas all of a sudden became a great defensive team, or we just have no set scheme to our offense. STAT held to 0 pts in 2nd Half....ouch

Clearly, Nowitski was the better forward today...Every time i seen STAT shoot it was a miss

Shawn Williams.20 minutes...0 pts in this system.....no

I could go on but i won't...we need a lot of work if we plan to beat the bigs in the league....If we keep plying this way, Philly is going to pass us. Who knows who else

It's not that I think Felton shoots too much necessarily, but it's that he takes so many BAD shots, seemingly at the worst moments. And some of the bad shots that were falling earlier this year aren't anymore.

iSaYughh

Starter
One word. Defense

We just aren't going to be a good defensive team, broheem...Till we get better defensive players, specifically some quality bigs w experience.

Our offense can clearly be improved though, w the personell we do have.

Felton, along w MD, needs to start viewing Gallo differently. Giving him Stoudemire-light treatment, till we get a bonefied 1b, #2 scorer on the team.

Right now we have a hodgepodge. The wealth is being shared, but shared poorly and w/o god reason.

I give Fields a pass for some unlucky shots n overall play. But he still shouldn't have taken that many shots.

Raymondo's dilemma is that he's hit a SSOL wall. These types of games are the result. He needs to reign himself in by expanding the lens of his distribution glasses. He cant currently handle the responsibility he has. Which to date, regarding facilitating, became tunnel vision -- naturally so -- towards STAT.

But times have changed.

Raymondo has also lost the surprise of attack in the league, in how well he can attack and score. He will regain this element by giving opponents more to worry about, as he is facilitating towards an additional threat.

O, and STAT will have a milder, but still potent benefit of if we brought in Melo.

Other than that...look, Mavs are a good team. Maybe a great team when Dirk is healthy.

Defensively...I will say, I want get AR..and Moz....more involved. Even in a situational basis, games like this, where we need an injection of new blood to temporarily shake things up and shore up an area we are getting abused in.

I don't necessarily blame D'ant for this. He clearly wants to win now, has no prob playing youth or unproven people, or taking chances in people. So why he doesn't give AR burn can't really be attributed to that.

AR seems to be trending towards getting these chances, tho. :crossfingers: Remember, we really just want to peak at the right time w having AR/Moz start contributing in roles.

It is obvious to me that Felton should look to pass way more than shoot, I don't want to throw Felton under the bus because he has been great and a true leader/co-captain but now that he is in this slump I think he should limit himself to about 10 shots unless he has got it going. He put up some gaudy shots today and a lot of momentum killers, especially a three with us up three with 16 left on the shot clock in the 2nd Q when he had a hot and WIDE OPEN Gallo.I just want him too reel back a bit because it's starting to really hurt us and he has having some real bad hit or miss games.

Mozgov also looked like he had a little tentativeness at first and then when he got an alley oop he wanted to score on every possession( leading to him shooting 20fters and creating off the dribble) .He needs to focus and rewatch that Piston game to see how he hustle and scored on broken plays.
I still think he can play great if he continues to work with the Coaches and gets some minimal minutes.

Gallo brought his A game tonight got to the line give us energy and picked up the scoring when we were down. I think he needs to be incorporate in this offense as a playmaker when Felton also because he just passed the ball so effectively and TD is just not ready to man the point.

Fields did not have his best tonight as he missed on some threes( in and outs) and some jumpers, but he looked like he had energy tonight just tough luck on some of his shots.

Amare, He has been our Allstar MVP but something has got to give with his rebounding. Seriously he has the athleticism why is he such a poor rebounder?
He had 1 rebound by the half and finished the game with only 5 I think we need a legit double double run from STAT night in night out.

Rest of the team was okay Walker showed great hustle tonight and Williams was active tonight but bad calls killed him early. Turiaf we didn't see much of because the Mavs went small. TD played okay finished with 22 but Stat stuffed about 7pts in garbage time. Ar hit a three and Rautins got a little burn.

My reaction is we have no defensive scheme at all. It looks like we run around lost out there. Barea making a beeline to the basket time and again with no one stepping in. Dirk blew up. Rarely, if ever doubled. The rebounding was pathetic.

I'd like to see us play some zone with Moz and Turiaf in the middle. It would help against the penetration, and help our rebounding...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Chucking up bad shots and long shots leads to bad defense. If Felton or someone else chucks a long 3 and it banks off the board and falls right into the opposing team's hands that team has a pretty good chance of beating us in transition because of how quickly the ball can move up the court.

Offense creates defense and vice versa. We'll see the PPG we allow each game go down as soon as our shooters stop chucking up shots (ie Felton, though surely he wasn't the only one) and the rest will come when he hire a better defensive assistant.

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer

Felton really hasnt been playing consistently well since our hot streak ended.. This team needs alot of work .. with the way the Sixers r playing we are a 7th seed AT BEST! We will make the tournament but no better than a 7 seed unfortunatly

Is it me or does Mozzy look all frantic for about the first 2 min. every time he hits the floor to play?
AR is needed to spell Amare and grab some dam boards!
And someone needs to tell Ray to stop chuckin when it ain't fallin!
I would also like to see more of Andy , the kid has sick court vision and can really dish the rock as well as shoot the 3 ball at a pretty good clip......... and yeah I know already that a bunch of you guy's are going to rip me up for praising Andy's game, but I think he could be a spark for us and I hope he gets a shot.

Felton really hasnt been playing consistently well since our hot streak ended.. This team needs alot of work .. with the way the Sixers r playing we are a 7th seed AT BEST! We will make the tournament but no better than a 7 seed unfortunatly

Which might be a blessing, because the way the Bulls are playing Miami might end up 3rd. I don't want us to get wiped out in 4 games against the Heat! That could be a confidence breaker for the young guys for next season.

I think we would look much better against the Bulls. Maybe lose the series 4-2 which would be kind of a success, certainly much better than going down 4-0 against Miami by an average 15 point deficit per game.

nyk_nyk

All Star
We just aren't going to be a good defensive team, broheem...Till we get better defensive players, specifically some quality bigs w experience.

Not true. You can be a good defensive team "collectively" by practicing different schemes and implementing them is the right situations. The problem we have is that Dantoni refuses to have anything less than 3 long range shooters in the game at any given time.

Its a shame that Dantoni has not experimented more with a lineup of:

Turiaf
Amare
Randolph
Chandler
Felton/Douglas

That's size AND defense (with Amare and Will being your main scorers)

OR

Randolph
Amare
Gallo
Chandler
Douglas/Felton

This system will ALWAYS give preference to shooters and scorers. Its not well balanced and depends way too much on shooting a high FG%. Our coach knows nothing about situational substitutions. Some players have tons of value depending on the opponent and how the game is being dictated.

Here's a great example: 12/17 Amare had a horrible shooting night against the Heat with JOEL ANTHONY playing great defense against him. Joel is nothing more than an average role player with very little offensive skill BUT his size and quickness was great to defend Amare in the paint as well as 10-12 feet away on drives.

JOEL ANTHONY was not in the game for anything else but to slow down Amare. This is what defense is about. Not just having "good defensive players" but being able to use what you have to match up. While AR most likely wouldn't have been anything special on offense, I'm pretty sure he would have slowed Dirk down on some posessions with his length and speed. He also would have helped on the boards (since Amare pretty much took the night off with that).

As a coach you have to be willing to forego a little offense to increasing other needs.

Toronto does it with REGGIE EVANS
UTAH and now CHI are doing it with RONNIE BREWER
Dallas does it with BRENDAN HAYWOOD
Boston does it with MARQUIS DANIELS
Spurs did it with RODMAN
Indiana did it with DALE DAVIS
Denver does it with CHRIS ANDERSON

Not true. You can be a good defensive team "collectively" by practicing different schemes and implementing them is the right situations. The problem we have is that Dantoni refuses to have anything less than 3 long range shooters in the game at any given time.

Turiaf
Amare
Randolph
Chandler
Felton/Douglas

OR

Randolph
Amare
Gallo
Chandler
Douglas/Felton

This system will ALWAYS give preference to shooters and scorers. Its not well balanced and depends way too much on shooting a high FG%. Our coach knows nothing about situational substitutions. Some players have tons of value depending on the opponent and how the game is being dictated.

Here's a great example: 12/17 Amare had a horrible shooting night against the Heat with JOEL ANTHONY playing great defense against him. Joel is nothing more than an average role player with very little offensive skill BUT his size and quickness was great to defend Amare in the paint as well as 10-12 feet away on drives.

JOEL ANTHONY was not in the game for anything else but to slow down Amare. This is what defense is about. Not just having "good defensive players" but being able to use what you have to match up. While AR most likely wouldn't have been anything special on offense, I'm pretty sure he would have slowed Dirk down on some posessions with his length and speed. He also would have helped on the boards (since Amare pretty much took the night off with that).

As a coach you have to be willing to forego a little offense to increasing other needs.

Spurs did it with RODMAN

You get +1 on this my friend. Well said and FACTUAL...:thumbsup:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton

Felton has averaged 14.9 shots a game this year. Of all the point guards starting -- or playing the most minutes -- for all the NBA teams -- only Rose at 20.1 a game, Tyreke Evans, at 16.8 a game, Jennings, at 15.3 a game, D. Williams at 15 a game, and Westbrook, at 17.6 a game take more shots than Felton. Rose, Williams and Evans are their team's principal scorers and do not have an Amar'e around. Westbrook has Durant, and for all Westbrook's talents, I think he shoots too much. Jennings has only played 26 games this year but he shoots too much and at a low FG%. Rose's FG% for the year is .462. Westbrook's is ,434, Evans' is .406 and Williams is .467

For his career Felton averages 12.4 shots a game. His FG % for this year is .419 and his 3PT % is .331. His career FG% is .411 and his career 3PT % is .328.

He is what he was and, yes, he shoots too much. He has had some terrific games, but then, again, he has had some awful games. He is more than adequate, but he is not an AlI Star. I am not particularly excited about him

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

Turiaf
Amare
Randolph
Chandler
Felton/Douglas

OR

Randolph
Amare
Gallo
Chandler
Douglas/Felton

Spurs did it with RODMAN

I like that idea.

I don't know about Wilson Chandler at SG cause I think smaller SGs will get by him, but other than that I think you have some good points. When we have Amar'e and Gallinari and Chandler on the floor we can afford to have a player who's in there solely to play defense and rebound and block shots.

After all, many of the recent teams that have had great success have had a guy who's not really much of a scorer but is an excellent defender (Artest, Rodman, etc.) and it's about time we find someone like that or utilize one of our better defenders in that manner. While AR has his issues, I'm sure that he could've defended Dirk Nowitzki much better than Shawne Williams did.