Alan Hahn tweets Lawrence Frank "high on the list"

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Alan Hahn tweeted a few hours ago that Lawrence Frank is high on the Knicks' list of potential defensive assistants. I like the fact that he doesn't buy into D'Antoni's system - I like the uptempo system but I think we can use some work on our defensive schemes and rotations (I, for one, didn't mind D'Antoni's system so much as I minded his tremendously screwed up personnel decisions such as running Amar'e out there for 42 minutes a night, not playing AR or Darko, not playing Roger Mason until the last two months of the season and then expecting him to play great defense, not playing Derrick Brown and frankly not playing anybody who was remotely decent on defense) and having another mind to focus on defense while Antoni focuses on the O will help.

Truly I think that the Knicks can be a good defensive team. If Erik Spoelstra can get that soft piece of shit Chris Bosh to play defense then we should have no problem getting badassses like Amar'e and Carmelo to lock down those scumbags over in Miami.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I still think we're going to struggle defensively if MDA doesn't change the system. The offense is specifically designed to not need defense, you're creating a situation where you try to outscore the other team...and it works both ways, sometimes you're the one outscored depending on what the other team does.

If you limit possessions, and then keep a team's field goal percentage down...you'll have better success. We could hold teams to 43% shooting on 113 possessions a game...and we're still giving up more points than a team holding opponents to 44% on 93 possessions.

Yea I know the differential is what matters, if we scored 107 per game while only giving up 103, then technically that's good...but is it practical? I don't want theoretical maybes and possibilities, I want what works. And we routinely see slow/deliberate half court offenses with occasional uptempo pace in appropriate situations go hand. in. hand. with limiting possessions and good defense...both half court and in transition.

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Let someone else experiment. We know what works, and our approach may or may not work...that's not good enough for me.

portega1968

El Cacique
I still think we're going to struggle defensively if MDA doesn't change the system. The offense is specifically designed to not need defense, you're creating a situation where you try to outscore the other team...and it works both ways, sometimes you're the one outscored depending on what the other team does.

If you limit possessions, and then keep a team's field goal percentage down...you'll have better success. We could hold teams to 43% shooting on 113 possessions a game...and we're still giving up more points than a team holding opponents to 44% on 93 possessions.

Yea I know the differential is what matters, if we scored 107 per game while only giving up 103, then technically that's good...but is it practical? I don't want theoretical maybes and possibilities, I want what works. And we routinely see slow/deliberate half court offenses with occasional uptempo pace in appropriate situations go hand. in. hand. with limiting possessions and good defense...both half court and in transition.

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Let someone else experiment. We know what works, and our approach may or may not work...that's not good enough for me.

I'm all in for bringing in LaFrank. Howeva, have to buy out D'Antoni's last year in the process. I just don't see him in that position.

But i say go for it and go all out and bring Patrick Ewing as coach!!! LOL, like Dolan would ever do that :smokin:

p0nder

Starter
If we have one of the most clutch offenses in the game fg % wise, and we limit oppositions fg%, while increasing our possesions and decreasing theirs (via tough defense causing turnovers) Then we will win.

Our offense is not broken. Our transition defense is awful, but it's not because of the long rebounds leading to fast break points, as some may speculate.

It is because our players don't get back on defense. Watch some game tape from the last half of the season, after the melo trade, and see who hustles back on defense. Aside from Landry Fields and Turiaf pretty much no one. Melo played good transition D in spurts and locked down his man when he was committed, but there are gaping holes in his defense and is not a good help defender. Billups rarely got back for a stop and Amar'e is often flat footed on his team mates shot, so when the rebound comes out he's not close to it and is not prepared to move his feet to get back. Our perimiter Defense was decent at stoping penetration, but we played way too far off of teams sharp shooters and they burned us.

It also doesn't help that we suck at offensive rebounds. If we got a few more 2nd chance points and more turnovers/stops, we'd be killing teams 120-98.

mafra

Legend
I'll take Frank, for sure. But unless we beef up the interior defense... It wont matter who we bring in, our what system we run.

MY PLAN would be to hire Frank.

Call up INDY. Pacers are at about 65 million for their payroll next year (like us). So I would offer them the chance to slash salary so they can make a run at David West.

Trade Turiaf, Balkman & Walker for Jeff Foster & Josh McRoberts. RT's is a force but he's injury-prone. PLUS, we need size. So this is a 2-for-1 swap.

Balkman is useless for us, and Walker is expendable. INDY could release Balkman and they get a young player who can shoot the 3. They could deal Turiaf to NO in a sing and trade for David West.

Knicks get a player who is akin to RT in Foster, plus another big PF/C who can rebound, block shots and score.

THEN... go out and sign a Kwame Brown or Joel Pryzbilla. Knicks wont be chasing Dalembert or the top names... So think reasonable here. MAYBE we have a shot at Oden, if POR doesn't pick up option... But Brown or Pryzbilla would be logical b/c we could offer them starting minutes, a chance to win and a nice play to live. Both have made money in their careers, so they make take less to come here.

Finally, see if Kurt Thomas will come back to NY... Or even a T-Battie... If not, then just sign Troy Murphy. He'll only get a 1 yr-deal anyway.

Brown or Przbilla
Foster
McRoberts
Thomas or Murphy

Just remake the entire PC/C depth right here. We'll get 4 players who will help. Throw in a Harrellson or Jerom Jordan, and now Amar'e has his help.

I would then look to see if Deshaun Stevenson wants in. He proved he can shut down Lebron and get in his head. OR, see if we can convince Shane Battier to come here. Or expand deal with INDY and get Dahntay Jones.

This is how we get better defensively. Surround Melo/Amar'e with defensive talent. Bring in a defensive coach who will scheme, game plan and adjust. Then Anthony and Stoudemire will be fine. We blame them for their defense, but what about the other 3 on the court?

We need a legit C and backup C who can defend the paint. We then need a bruiser/enforcer behind that. Toss in a Lebron stopper.

There you go.

Kiyaman

Legend
Coach Frank is a BUM-Coach!!!

Coach Frank is a water-boy coach..... he is more watered-down
than the Dantoni brothers

The Knicks best interest should be to sign Bill Lambeer as the assistant
coach to interim coach Herb Williams....reuniting Billups with Bill Laimbeer
would give Billups a jump start in training-camp to design-plays for Amare
and Melo under Bill Laimbeer bigman rule. Billups would condition himself to
play in 80 games next season.

Kiyaman

Legend
This response is for the doubtful believers in Herb Williams....

Herb Williams wouldve done a helluva better job on a constructive
offense/defense-SYSTEM by having a 9-10 man rotation (big & small)
by playing players to their best talents (all our Knicks players value
wouldve risen in the trade-market under Herb) the past 3 seasons. The
Knicks hired Dantoni b/c he made a big-name for himself off of Phoenix
headcoach Frank Johnson three unstoppable players (Joe Johnson, Matrix,
and Amare). Coach Frank Johnson went 6 games in a playoff series vs the
Championship Spurs with those 3 players (plus Marbury).

Bill Laimbeer strategic-defense is not to be slept on, Bill has been apart
of the Detroit Pistons organization since his retirement in the 90's.

Jim Dolan's Newsday paper has been promoting clueless coach Frank as
a Knick assistant coach since the Knicks 2nd loss to the Celtics in the
first-round.

History on coach Frank....... Jason Kidd, Kittles, and Kenyon Martin
wanted headcoach Byron Scott out of the Nets organization so bad
that they acceptted the 4th assistant waterboy coach Frank as their
interim headcoach.....and all 3 players became sorry for that move.

pat

Starter
wouldve risen in the trade-market under Herb) the past 3 seasons.

Says who?

Again: Says who? Where did you get that from, especially the "became sorry" part?

portega1968

El Cacique
Coach Frank is a BUM-Coach!!!

Coach Frank is a water-boy coach..... he is more watered-down
than the Dantoni brothers

The Knicks best interest should be to sign Bill Lambeer as the assistant
coach to interim coach Herb Williams....reuniting Billups with Bill Laimbeer
would give Billups a jump start in training-camp to design-plays for Amare
and Melo under Bill Laimbeer bigman rule. Billups would condition himself to
play in 80 games next season.

CLASSIC KIYA!!!:teeth:

This response is for the doubtful believers in Herb Williams....

wouldve risen in the trade-market under Herb) the past 3 seasons. The
Knicks hired Dantoni b/c he made a big-name for himself off of Phoenix
headcoach Frank Johnson three unstoppable players (Joe Johnson, Matrix,
and Amare). Coach Frank Johnson went 6 games in a playoff series vs the
Championship Spurs with those 3 players (plus Marbury).

Bill Laimbeer strategic-defense is not to be slept on, Bill has been apart
of the Detroit Pistons organization since his retirement in the 90's.

Jim Dolan's Newsday paper has been promoting clueless coach Frank as
a Knick assistant coach since the Knicks 2nd loss to the Celtics in the
first-round.

Topped!!!:teeth:

portega1968

El Cacique
I'll take Frank, for sure. But unless we beef up the interior defense... It wont matter who we bring in, our what system we run.

MY PLAN would be to hire Frank.

Call up INDY. Pacers are at about 65 million for their payroll next year (like us). So I would offer them the chance to slash salary so they can make a run at David West.

Trade Turiaf, Balkman & Walker for Jeff Foster & Josh McRoberts. RT's is a force but he's injury-prone. PLUS, we need size. So this is a 2-for-1 swap.

Balkman is useless for us, and Walker is expendable. INDY could release Balkman and they get a young player who can shoot the 3. They could deal Turiaf to NO in a sing and trade for David West.

Knicks get a player who is akin to RT in Foster, plus another big PF/C who can rebound, block shots and score.

THEN... go out and sign a Kwame Brown or Joel Pryzbilla. Knicks wont be chasing Dalembert or the top names... So think reasonable here. MAYBE we have a shot at Oden, if POR doesn't pick up option... But Brown or Pryzbilla would be logical b/c we could offer them starting minutes, a chance to win and a nice play to live. Both have made money in their careers, so they make take less to come here.

Finally, see if Kurt Thomas will come back to NY... Or even a T-Battie... If not, then just sign Troy Murphy. He'll only get a 1 yr-deal anyway.

Brown or Przbilla
Foster
McRoberts
Thomas or Murphy

Just remake the entire PC/C depth right here. We'll get 4 players who will help. Throw in a Harrellson or Jerom Jordan, and now Amar'e has his help.

I would then look to see if Deshaun Stevenson wants in. He proved he can shut down Lebron and get in his head. OR, see if we can convince Shane Battier to come here. Or expand deal with INDY and get Dahntay Jones.

This is how we get better defensively. Surround Melo/Amar'e with defensive talent. Bring in a defensive coach who will scheme, game plan and adjust. Then Anthony and Stoudemire will be fine. We blame them for their defense, but what about the other 3 on the court?

We need a legit C and backup C who can defend the paint. We then need a bruiser/enforcer behind that. Toss in a Lebron stopper.

There you go.

Excellent Plan B.

Plan A for me is to get Tyson Chandler and JRich, maybe take a shot at my homeboy JJ Barea (had to slip that in there), screw the 2012 waiting game but save some assets, fedex D'Antoni to Rucker Park and bring in a different coaching philosophy (come home Patrick) and see where that gets us through the AllStar break.

mafra

Legend
Excellent Plan B.

Plan A for me is to get Tyson Chandler and JRich, maybe take a shot at my homeboy JJ Barea (had to slip that in there), screw the 2012 waiting game but save some assets, fedex D'Antoni to Rucker Park and bring in a different coaching philosophy (come home Patrick) and see where that gets us through the AllStar break.

The problem is... Knicks don't have much wiggle room here. Knicks payroll is at about 65 million already, and that's before we resign Shawne Williams and add our 2 draft picks' salaries.

Billups-Amar'e-Carmelo combine for 50 million alone. When we picked up CB's option, that pretty much took away our chances to be competitive in the upcoming free agent market.

NOW, our only hope is to use what we have to sell what we can offer:

1- GREAT PLACE TO LIVE... world's best city... along with the history and revamped MSG stage.

2- LEGIT 2.5 stars... A chance to win a title. Dynamic Duo (Melo/Amar'e) and proven winner (Billups).

3- A starting role... minutes at SG & C.

4- Player-friendly coach and offensive system.

5- Owner willing to spend in the future.

What we could use is a J-Rich to be swayed by this, or some other vet. If they've made enough money could they pull a Karl Malone and Gary Payton? Come to NY on the cheap?

Who knows what exemptions and stuff will be in place after the lockout and a new CBA is in place. AT BEST, we have about 10 million to work with.

Kiyaman

Legend
Says who? Where did you get that from, especially the "became sorry" part?

At the time the president of the Nets organization were Rod Thorn,
who did not like how Jason Kidd did a 360 in attitude after getting
a Max contract in the offseason.
Kidd complained and started lockerroom disputes in training-camp when
Thorn signed Alonzo Mourning to go with Mutombo at the C/PF position
(Hoyas) to have the Nets make it 3 consecutive trips to the FINALS.

Thorn was not happy about buying-out Mutombo contract over players-
dispute in the lockerroom after the preseason games (this is how the Knicks got the oportunity to sign Motumbo). Which led to altercations between Mourning and Kenyon Martin at every practice inwhich headcoach Byron
Scott took Mourning side of each altercation. When Byron Scott was fired
in the middle of the season, Mourning decided to go ahead with his Kidney
transplant weeks after, something he had put to the side for after the
season when he signed onto the Nets.

After the Nets 3-2 lead over the Detroit Pistons in the playoffs with the
6 game at the Nets Meadowlands became 2 consecutive Nets losses under a no-strategy coach Frank.....
Rod Thorn traded Kittles on draft night to the forever lottery Clippers,
and did a sign and trade sending Kenyon Martin to the Denver Nuggets.
Coach Frank and Jason Kidd became a lottery team the next season.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Says who?

Again: Says who? Where did you get that from, especially the "became sorry" part?

Kiya lives in a fact free zone so don't let his conspiracy theories or baseless assertions rile you up. I learned the hard way that injecting facts itnto a debate with Kiya is a futile effort. Think of his posts as comedy relief and you will save yourself the headache.

Kiyaman

Legend

What has been real funny is Toney Douglas relentless presure defense on
oponents PG bringing up the ball giving all Knicks teammates enough time
to get back on defense plus time to establish a defensive setup..... this is
why all NBA analyst kept mentioning, "where is the defensive-system?".
Herb Williams is not going to show Mike/Dan Dantoni any of the
Defensive-systems he learned from coaches JVG/ Chambers/or
Larry Brown.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya lives in a fact free zone so don't let his conspiracy theories or baseless assertions rile you up. I learned the hard way that injecting facts itnto a debate with Kiya is a futile effort. Think of his posts as comedy relief and you will save yourself the headache.

NBA players comments on Twitter proves facts out of theories.

Why did Denver trade Felton on draft night for Andre Miller?
Please answer
If u read any of the Denver Nuggets players comments after the series vs OKC on Twitters then u wouldve seen the trade for Felton coming this offseason.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
NBA players comments on Twitter proves facts out of theories.

Why did Denver trade Felton on draft night for Andre Miller?
Please answer
If u read any of the Denver Nuggets players comments after the series vs OKC on Twitters then u wouldve seen the trade for Felton coming this offseason.

And this proves what?

Kiyaman

Legend
u r a funny character

And this proves what?

This proves u dont have enough NBA knowledge or input to
be commenting on coaches and players in the league.

u can add your opinion on a duet of Frank & Dantoni as Knicks coaches.
However, u need to know when Byron Scott left the Nets....Pat Riley
defensive-strategy left with him. Leaving coach Frank & Kidd without
a pot to piss in.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
This proves u dont have enough NBA knowledge or input to
be commenting on coaches and players in the league.

u can add your opinion on a duet of Frank & Dantoni as Knicks coaches.
However, u need to know when Byron Scott left the Nets....Pat Riley
defensive-strategy left with him. Leaving coach Frank & Kidd without
a pot to piss in.

Listen...you morph and shift points form post to post and argue about things I never asserted. Where did I ever say that bringing in Frank means we will be a defensive team? I'll save you the time, I never did. I have always maintained that our defense will be dictated mostly by our ROSTER.

I suggest you stop worrying about other peoples NBA knowledge before you are capable of putting together a coherent thought and follow your own points from post to post, backing them up with actual FACTS. You have a reputation on this forum for saying outlandish conspiracy theories and asserting your own thoughts and motives as fact. Hopefully you will learn how to properly debate, properly make a point and how to back up your points before criticizing anyone else. Until that time you won't be taken seriously by the majority of posters. I read your posts and chuckle at how stupid they are...seriously I do! SMFH...

pat

Starter
Herb Williams is not going to show Mike/Dan Dantoni any of the
Defensive-systems he learned from coaches JVG/ Chambers/or
Larry Brown.

Do you really think he would still be on the coaching staff if he did not cooperate. Where were those superior schemes when he was our head coach?