Official Boxing Thread

metrocard

Legend
Welcome to the official boxing thread; I'm Jose; I live boxing and grew up with the sport around all my life...boxing is back; so we'll have a lot to chat about. We can also discuss training tips for basic boxing training if you guys are interested.

NEWS FLASH
Nuzhnenko targets Cotto!

"After winning the WBA interim welterweight title on Saturday night in Cannes, France, unbeaten Yuriy Nuzhnenko (27-0, 13 K0s) has a new mission. "Now my goal is to get rid of the prefix 'interim.' Mr. Miguel Cotto, you're invited!" Nuzhnenko won the belt via unanimous decision (116-113, 116-112, 116-113) over Frederic Klose (41-6, 8 KOs). "It was a big challenge for me but not the hardest bout," commented Nuzhnenko. "I realized my plan for the fight and got my result. I promised to give an unpleasant surprise for the French fans and I made it come true. I respect Klose, he showed the character of the warrior but my skills and power brought me the victory."
1172660471_extras_fotos_del_dia_0.jpg

Yuriy Nuzhnenko (27-0, 13 K0s)

He's knocked out 13 cab drivers. Like 7 of them were 0-0-0. He needs to sit his ass down and stfu.

Quintana-Miguel-Angel-Cotto17.jpg

plus_sign.jpg

1172660471_extras_fotos_del_dia_0.jpg

83533397_2a97c98743.jpg

4ambulance.jpg

That is all...

During one of their segments of ,"1st and 10". Skip Bayless, Dana Jacobsen and others were discussing if Mayweather was overrated. These two black guys, their last names are Stew. Were praising Mayweather and saying how he should be compared to the greats like Sugar Ray Leonard, etc, etc.......I was looking at them like WTF are you talking about. Here we go again with the supposed experts that don't know s hit about boxing. Anyway Skip Bayless (who is a regular on the show) and Dana Jacobsen (the co-host) countered them and told them THE TRUTH. That Mayweather hasn't fought anyone that they would consider RISK fights to be called a great fighter. Skip Bayless was telling them, "Give me a break, Ricky Hatton. The guy is not a welterweight. Who has Mayweather fought, Carlos Baldomir, Arturo Gatti. You think Arturo Gatti was a good fighter."

The Stew brothers said, "Yeah, he was a good fighter." Skip was like, "Oh Come On, the guy is picking and choosing fights that he knows he can win. You know who I want to see him fight, I want to see him fight Miguel Cotto. Because he is a tough guy. If he beats Miguel Cotto, then I will consider him a great fighter."

The Stew brothers looked like they were at a loss for words when Skip brought Cotto's name up. It was mad funny. Then the Stew brothers said, "Yeah, well we would like to see that fight. We hope it happens."

Then Dana Jacobsen said,"I'm with Skip, I don't think Mayweather has fought anyone to consider him great yet."

Guys, this is good news if they are posting articles in newspapers and also putting this subject on shows like ,"First Take" and having debates over this. This is a show that talks about the NFL, NBA and all the major sports. So for them to talk about it and place it on one of their segments is great news guys. We need more of this, then this will force the issue and maybe make Mayweather take the Cotto fight. All you hear about in newspapers, sports TV shows and boxing websites is that Mayweather needs to fight Cotto. This is really good, I hope it forces Mayweather to fight Cotto.

George Foreman Badly Disses Floyd Mayweather Jr
By Johnny Benz (Dec 10, 2007) Doghouse Boxing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a recent interview conducted by Andrew Haigh and published this past weekend by thesun.co.uk, Heavyweight Living legend, George Foreman dissed Floyd Mayweather Jr., branding Mayweather a 'nobody' and a 'chicken'.

According to the report by the The Sun, Foreman hates Mayweather's king of bling image. Foreman also insists that Mayweather is too scared to slug it out in big fights.

Although Mayweather defeated Hatton with a tenth round KO this past Saturday. Foreman was backing Ricky Hatton to defeat Mayweather, saying: "I love Hatton and I hope he really beats up Mayweather."

Foreman added: "But who is Mayweather? He's a nobody."

"When he was young he was a loveable little fella but something went wrong and changed inside him. Now he is always cursing and bad-mouthing other fighters. The guy deserves an Oscar for some of the stuff he says."

Foreman isn't even impressed with the title of Pound-for-pound best for Mayweather, stating:"There is no way I would consider him to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"He is good but he made a fool of himself against Oscar De La Hoya. He was in the greatest fight of his career and he just ran and ran like a chicken.

"De La Hoya brought that fight to him all night but I didn't like his style and the way he approached the fight.I thought he was very lucky to win it on points."

capt.21ffe2f0701842f7a8cbded61c64a9ff.mayweather_hatton_boxing_nvjc122.jpg

lol, Elboweather.

Hatton and Cotto have 2 similiarities, they are both natural pressure fighters, and they both often win fights by breaking their opponent down with a volume of punches, especially to the body.

That's where the comparison stops.

Cotto has something that Hatton doesn't...

What is it?

It's the ability to deliver intelligent pressure.

Why wasn't Hatton doing this? Well for one, Floyd's six inch reach advantage and Hatton's lack of explosiveness might have had something to do with this, but this is only a portion of the problem.

Hatton was coming in without throwing the jab, and he was going straight in, almost squared up.

The most important thing you can do against a good boxer, such as Floyd is to come in at an angle while throwing a jab.

If you go straight in, Floyd will t-off on your face with a straight right hand. Hatton was doing this all night.

Do you think the outcome would be any different if than what happened with Floyd if Hatton faced Mosley or even Judah, (substituting a straight left)?

Why do you think it is that Hatton has been avoiding boxers in his division?

At the same time, Cotto has been actively pursuing them. He's fought Malinaggi, (when he doesn't brawl, possibly the closest thing to Floyd above 140), Judah, (arguably one of the most dangerous fighters there is for the first 6 rounds), and Mosley, (a very dangerous, well rounded, boxer with the ability to slug).

That's probably the best possible lineup that you could encouter in preperation for Floyd.

In the meantime, since Kosta, Hatton has been fighting mostly swarmers and sluggers, but no one really threatened to outbox him.

Cotto has the experience of what to do against slick boxers.

Haven't you noticed the improvement in his jab? How often was Cotto getting tagged with FLUSH straight right hands against Mosley, and straight lefts against Judah?

He wasn't, and why? Because he coming in at angles and using the jab/double jab to keep his opponent on the defensive and off balance.

This is by far the most important aspect of how to approach fighting a skilled boxer, especially one like Floyd. You can't expect to come straight in or he's going to knock your head off and look spectacular in the process.

BUT, since we're on it, Cotto has more than just that.

Cotto doesn't rely on smothering his opponent and throwing a punch and clinching/wrestling like Hatton does, but Cotto gets his distance and throws some fluid combinations.

How many combinations did you see Hatton throw against Floyd? Exactly.

Hatton failed to get the distance that was necessary to deliver these combinations. It's really not his style anyway, as his is punch, grab, keep the distance close.

While Cotto will want to stay on the inside, (and he'll do much better than Hatton because of the above mentioned reasons), he'll do MUCH MUCH better on the outside due to his approach which was adapted from his experience with top boxers.

So who will win this fight?

Floyd is a great boxer, but he wants to retire from the game, not get retired.

And even if he beats Cotto, he WILL take a beating.

Cotto ain't Hatton and Floyd knows it.

Last edited:

Pricey

Rotation player
THATS MY BOY KOSTYA!!!
great Aussie fighter, actually to be honest all our good boxers arent even born here lol.

metrocard

Legend

Only damage Judah did to Cotto was a headbutt.

Therefor

Cotto's KO vs Judah > Mayweather's decision vs Judah(Judah out boxed him for 1st 4-5 rds.)

The key to beating Floyd is power. Thats why he stays away from the heavy hitters. Floyd could not take Cotto's power punching. He isnt made out steel like Mosely.

Floyd will run from Cotto's power all day and when Cotto gets him on the ropes like DeLaHoya and Hatton did, its his power that will even things out. Cotto is also fast and many people oversee that. He has a better jab then Mayweather because Cotto is a natural lefty. Cotto can also mix up his gameplan as he showed against Mosely and many other boxers. he wouldnt come like Hatton, open to 5 hits just to land a soft 1.

I think 1 or 2 more Cotto fights... some rest for floyd and there will be a mega fight betwen these two in the winter of 08 or early 09.

Cotto has all the tools to beat PBF and nobody else has those tools in 147. Mayweather wants no part of fight with an actual risk. He will hide from Cotto for acouple years till the money starts calling again. but if he waits too long then cats will say that Cotto won because of the long layoff of Mayweather was past his prime. People have always doubted Cotto and everyone who has been in this forum for years knows that.

box_cotto_hook_412.jpg

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I know that and although I think Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter hes still overrated. Him and Cotto would be a real good fight, I honestly think that Mayweather might be the most skilled but he hasnt proven to me that hes the best. I dont know if theres anyone tougher then Cotto. That Nuzhnenko looks like a loser in that pic so he must be real tough then too if he won a fight lookin like that. But I think Mayweather vs Cotto would be a great fight but Floyds gonna do all his stalling techniques to try to make sure the fight doesnt happen. It would without a doubt be a high risk fight for him, he never fought anyone as tough as Cotto. Zabs my favorite welterweight, I think hes always had the skill to be better then he is but his training isnt tough enough. I like his pops but I think hes part of the problem too. I dont think any of these guys are as tough as Cotto, theres maybe one fighter in the welterweight division who is and Im talkin about Antonio Margarito but he doesnt seem to be the most skilled fighter although I think he can possibly beat Judah and give Mayweather a tough time.

Whos gonna win the Kelly Pavlik vs Jermaine Taylor rematch comin up? I think that has fight of the year potential written on it.

metrocard

Legend
I know that and although I think Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter hes still overrated. Him and Cotto would be a real good fight, I honestly think that Mayweather might be the most skilled but he hasnt proven to me that hes the best. I dont know if theres anyone tougher then Cotto. That Nuzhnenko looks like a loser in that pic so he must be real tough then too if he won a fight lookin like that. But I think Mayweather vs Cotto would be a great fight but Floyds gonna do all his stalling techniques to try to make sure the fight doesnt happen. It would without a doubt be a high risk fight for him, he never fought anyone as tough as Cotto. Zabs my favorite welterweight, I think hes always had the skill to be better then he is but his training isnt tough enough. I like his pops but I think hes part of the problem too. I dont think any of these guys are as tough as Cotto, theres maybe one fighter in the welterweight division who is and Im talkin about Antonio Margarito but he doesnt seem to be the most skilled fighter although I think he can possibly beat Judah and give Mayweather a tough time.

Whos gonna win the Kelly Pavlik vs Jermaine Taylor rematch comin up? I think that has fight of the year potential written on it.

I agree.

I like Zab and Paulie alot, I thought Zab showed alot of courage and could of had the Cotto fight if he was more aggressive and used his counters more because he has all the talent in the world, I thought he also had a chance against Mayweather, I'll post a video later, but you could look for it on youtube.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Taylor should win the rematch if he can do what he didn't do last time and finish the job in the early rounds. Otherwise the "Ghost" will drag Taylor out into the deeper waters and drown him again. What about Trinidad and Roy Jones this weekend. Any interest???

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree.

I like Zab and Paulie alot, I thought Zab showed alot of courage and could of had the Cotto fight if he was more aggressive and used his counters more because he has all the talent in the world, I thought he also had a chance against Mayweather, I'll post a video later, but you could look for it on youtube.

I seen part of that fight, I should watch the rest on youtube. Knicks aint lookin to good so far so I think at some point im gonna watch that fight.

Taylor should win the rematch if he can do what he didn't do last time and finish the job in the early rounds. Otherwise the "Ghost" will drag Taylor out into the deeper waters and drown him again. What about Trinidad and Roy Jones this weekend. Any interest???

Your right, Taylor had him but I gotta give credit to Pavlik hes tough. It should be a real good fight but they chargin money for it this time. Ill have to find sum1 streamin it, it shouldnt be too hard. I think Taylor is gonna take him this time, the boxer will beat the puncher. Pavlik hits hard, you see his fight against Miranda? He leaves himself open alot though, he doesnt have the best defense so Taylor needs to get the job done this time and they fightin at 166 i think.

Jones and Trinidad is gonna be a great fight, Im not sure how it makes sense to have this fight now but it could go either way. Im not sure how good of a punch either of them can take at this point, I know Roy cant take a good punch. He doesnt have nearly the speed and reflexes that he had but hes still faster then alot of boxers. I was slightly leanin towards Jones early on but now Im nuetral, I cant make up my mind.

Hopkins vs Calzage? Hopkins is one of my favorite fighters and its hard for me to evaluate his last fight against Winky Wright. Stylistically many would say it was a boring fight but I thought it was funny how dirty Hopkins fought, he kept comin in with his head and he busted Winky open with a head butt. The commentators kept shittin on them callin them old and slow but its tough to tell with those 2. Ive only seen one Calzage fight but he looks tough. Im gonna stay nuetral on this fight.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player

I'm an RJ fanatic...I've followed him since day one...and to see him dominate the game straight up and down like he once did is only the work of God. But I definitely have RJ winning this. The combination of Tito's ring rust and the fact that he's smaller and slower (not much slower) than RJ will be enough for RJ to win. I don't see RJ KOing Tito before the 4th though maybe in the later rounds. And I don't see Tito KOing RJ at all. Tito is too small to hurt RJ. He took a shot from Hanshaw that would knock most people out but what did he do? He just gave the kid a triple upppercut to drop'em lol. RJ TKO10.

I have Taylor winning the rematch. Taylor lost his work ethic and he wasn't listening to Stew...one of the greatest trainers of all-time. He deserved to get KO'ed. Now he's back on humbled ground and even without Stew I still have Taylor winning this fight. Taylor has skill and heart...Pav has power and heart but no skill. Take Pav to the later rounds and let's see what he's made of. If the fights not a brawl Pav isn't winning it.

B-Hop is a beast...I have him beating Cal but it could go either way. Cal's slaps aren't going to hurt b-hop but they are good enough to score points. B-Hop is a technical counter puncher and he molds into his opponents weaknesses so well that its hard for his opponents to look "pretty" in the ring. B-Hop wins by MD. RJ then B-Hop next to Evander Holyfield are the best fighters of our generation...

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
You got Roy ahead of Hopkins? I think got Hopkins ahead too but you said Roys your favorite. Who do you think would win a fight now? I think Hopkins would at this point. I hate to admit it but I think Roy wouldve won when they were in there primes. His reflexes and speed were incredible. But who knows, you cant dobut Hopkins.

Its hard to tell if Hopkins has even slowed down yet. He F*cked up Tarver and still looked at his best. I cant make an opinion off the Winky Wright fight because of the styles of both fighters. He looked a little bit slower but its probably from gainin weight. I know one thing, Hopkins aint gettin knocked out. I dont think he can be knocked out.

Holyfield is one of my top 10 favorite fighters but I like watching him lose too. He can take alot of punishment, the first Riddick Bowe fight is one of my top 3 favorite heavyweight fights of all time. Hes gotta retire now his heads gonna get messed up.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Yea B-Hop probably would win from what I've seen from Roy this late in his career but we'll see how he does against tito. Yea no one touches RJ in his prime but B-Hop would definitely give RJ problems. Did anyone see the weigh in? RJ is cut like crazy and Tito looks like a big blob...Tito might get murdered tommorrow...if Merk is right and RJ does fight like he did in Jones-Griffin II then this will be a terrible fight to watch for Tito fans...

I agree no one knocks out B-Hop...I think he's going to dump on Calzaghe.

All the Bowe-Holyfield fights were crazy...he's underrated and always will be.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I AM HYPED!!!!!!!!! about the fight tonight!!
Andrew Golota vs. Mike Mollo
GOLOTA You gotta do it for all them Polish people out there!

Roy Jones Jr. vs. Felix Trinidad

Jones with the W in round 7.
amd_boxing.jpg

I got the fight on Pay Per View!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Thank you Andrew Golota good W.

LETS Go Tito good fight after round one.

I want Tito to win but Jones probably will get the W.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Might I be the first person to say that Tito got his behind handed to him...RJ thoroughly embarrassed that kid. I like tito though...he seems like a genuine, nice person...but that stuff doesn't matter in the ring. RJ is 75% back...i feel sorry for the super middleweight division....Cal is the next man to go down...that's IF he makes it past B-Hop. Again....RJ>Tito....next....

metrocard

Legend
Roy Jones didn't impress anyone today. He's been active while Trinidad hasn't in two years and went up two weight classes than regular. Most Roysexuals thought Roy would win by TKO, they lost and were proven wrong.

Tito did everything he could do, no one expected him to win, but he fought hard and smart, and you have to respect that, especially a legend like Tito. Tito suprised everyone by taking the first 3 rounds.

Tito can't utilize his strengths at 170...his range is 150-160. But if anyone is back, its Tito, he still has the skill and if he gets in better condition I want to see him take on De La Hoya and settle that once and for all.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Anyways we have some big fights coming up...Taylor vs Pavlik II, Haye vs Maccarinelli, among others....but who does everyone have on Taylor vs. Pavlik II? I have taylor by UD...if he uses his jab and skill over Pavlik who is a one dimensional brawler then it'll be a blow out but if Taylor chooses to brawl again...it might be another mistake and victory for Pavlik could happen...

metrocard

Legend
Why is this ignore list homo replying after me? Stay out of my thread fatass, I'm not reading your post.

Anyway, Tito fought a great fight he was just out classed. But he still a champ in my eyes. Who in boxing history has fought better opponents ? No body got a better resume then Tito Trinidad! Every other boxer is a pussy. Tito fights the best not matter size difference. He is the best win or lose. I don't know of any boxer who goes after the best fighters in the world. They avoid each other. Tito fought the best in our era! Win or lose ! He gave the fans what they wanted to see.

Tito represented us so hard and at the end of this fight I was happy for Tito. Former welterweight fighting with a former heavyweight.... Obviously the situation is different at 170 but still, I only wanted to see him not getting hurt and he didn't. I gave him 5 rounds easily with the rest CLEARLY to Roy Jones. IMO Tito did what he had to do, win at least a few rounds...survive and then make it to the final bell. Roy IMO lost credibility completely because he couldn't KO Tito. If Roy Jones finally dares to step into a ring to fight Joe Calzaghe he will receive fuckin brain damage to the greatest extent. Roy Jones had respect for Tito's power, and yea u can think Tito hits harder than Joe all you want, fact is Joe will throw like 1200 punches and if 900 of them land he will absolutely kill Jones mentally physically and everything else that comes along with it.

We honestly should all be happy, good that Tito showed up in ok health and made the final bell than somehow KO Jones win..then get a shot with Calzaghe and get absolutely obliterated.

It's been a fun fun ride with Tito knocking welterweights senseless out of their freakin minds. His resume is proof to his absolute guts. There isn't a fighter of the past decade and a half with a resume as stacked as Trinidad's...Not one at all, he lost 3 of them and all 3 of those fights were completely out of his element at a much higher weight class than he should have ever been fighting.

Que viva Tito puneta!!!!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Thank you Andrew Golota good W.

LETS Go Tito good fight after round one.

I want Tito to win but Jones probably will get the W.

I use to hate Golata but I was happy to see him win. I know he had an embarrassing fight against Tyson over 10 years ago and then had a cheapshot against Riddick Bowe but now that hes older it was nice to see him win. He trained hard and it showed. I was suprised to find myself rootin for him but he showed courage with 1 eye closed.

Might I be the first person to say that Tito got his behind handed to him...RJ thoroughly embarrassed that kid. I like tito though...he seems like a genuine, nice person...but that stuff doesn't matter in the ring. RJ is 75% back...i feel sorry for the super middleweight division....Cal is the next man to go down...that's IF he makes it past B-Hop. Again....RJ>Tito....next....

Im not sure how much success Jones will have in the super middleweight division. Even now hes still got speed but

Roy Jones didn't impress anyone today. He's been active while Trinidad hasn't in two years and went up two weight classes than regular. Most Roysexuals thought Roy would win by TKO, they lost and were proven wrong.

Tito did everything he could do, no one expected him to win, but he fought hard and smart, and you have to respect that, especially a legend like Tito. Tito suprised everyone by taking the first 3 rounds.

Tito can't utilize his strengths at 170...his range is 150-160. But if anyone is back, its Tito, he still has the skill and if he gets in better condition I want to see him take on De La Hoya and settle that once and for all.

Trinidad should go back down to his range, I think he can still be one of the best if not the best at the 150-160 range. I would root for him against De La Hoya and who knows, this fight could happen. I give both of them credit just because there older but again I dont think Roy Jones punches hard enough to beat some of the other fighters at 170. What if Pavlik and Jermaine Taylor move up to 170 after their fight? I think both of them would Knock Jones out.

Anyways we have some big fights coming up...Taylor vs Pavlik II, Haye vs Maccarinelli, among others....but who does everyone have on Taylor vs. Pavlik II? I have taylor by UD...if he uses his jab and skill over Pavlik who is a one dimensional brawler then it'll be a blow out but if Taylor chooses to brawl again...it might be another mistake and victory for Pavlik could happen...

Taylors gonna win. Pavlik is tough but he doesnt have much boxing skill. Taylor should look to tire him out and then go for the knockout late in the fight. Pavlik leaves himself open inviting punches, I noticed that the first time I saw him fight against Miranda.

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Yeah I am always a Golota fan. Since he had so many chances but had embrassing fights sometimes.

Some of the fights were unfair because Golota killed some of the guys he faced, and got robbed out of the Victory.

Gol

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNrTXohCb1c&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNrTXohCb1c&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

THat was embrassing I ordered that fight for 49.95...

This fight I enjoyed in the 4th through the 8th rounds Golota had him so tired that he barely kept up. Mollos clinching PISSED ME OFF.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1zGtJWIP_k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1zGtJWIP_k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Golota had him the whole fight but the 1st two rounds he didn't fight well.

As for the Jones fight I got mad when Jones would just make faces, and make stupid dances kinda frustrating Tito..
I like Tito more, I wasn't happy with that fight.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Seems like the enslaved ignorant one likes to reply after I post...again lil boy get off my nuts...go watch barney or something...go do something constructive with your life...i see nor hear the ignorant...don't you realize that?

I hope to see RJ move to the supermiddleweight where his power would be felt against the smaller fighters. Hopefully he fights calzaghe but we'll see. Yea I agree with the majority...I'd like to see Tito move back down where he is affective. Even though he never belonged with RJ in the first place (currently or in his prime) he can still be effective in the middleweight or maybe the light middleweight if he can get down that far. But I hate to say it...to all the Titosuckers...i told you so

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
RJ also had a bicep tendon tear...anyone else would have pulled out of that fight but what does RJ do? He drops tito twice and destroys him in great fashion...only the greatest of our era can pull that off...