Stephon Marbury: Mike D'Antoni put a countdown on his head.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...Mike-D-Antoni-s-firing-only-a-?urn=nba-286304

By Kelly Dwyer
'He doesn't teach defense,'' Marbury said. "He teaches offense. (Jeff) Van Gundy teaches defense. (The D'Antoni system) doesn't work in New York. Not in the East. You have to have a team that dives for balls and takes the 3 when nobody expects you to take the 3. You have to be inside the fans' minds and that's what they want. There's knowledgeable people in the arena. They're talking to you while you're shooting a jump shot.'' [...]

"It's just a matter of time,'' Marbury said. "That's all I got to stay about D'Antoni's situation. I don't pay attention to his coaching. It hasn't changed since he won 50 games or since all the how many games he's lost here. If he had different pieces, he's a very effective coach. But without any players that play with the realm of how he coaches the game, it will never be.
"It's a matter of time,'' Marbury added. "It's a countdown now. He put a countdown on his head. Now (the fans) know we're never going to win a championship like this.''​
I never really care for it when fans refer to their favorite team as "we," though I admit to slipping myself on that idea a few times, but how (kind of) cool is it that Stephon still thinks of the Knicks as his team? As a fan, and not a point guard, we're hoping. And in spite of being paid to play for another team, turn out that the fastest-paced teams always end up way out West?)
Steph goes on to say, "If you're trying to make money, play for D'Antoni," which I suppose makes sense (D'Antoni's fast-paced offense could pump up statistics in order to lure GMs that don't pay attention to pace-adjusted stats

iSaYughh

Starter
D'an'ts style pumps up offensive stats; but it also deflates defensive efficiency in stats.

Traditional stats, at least.

Apparently he uses "qualitative" stats that re-align things. Brings offensive stuff down to earth, and brings defensive stuff up to earth.

At the end of the day, in theory, it's just about winning games, obviously; and his "style", stats aside, is just to produce that through the style of play of lots of possessions, making quick crisp decisions, and being able to shoot the three because of the freedom and scoring mentality players have (if you can't work up a slash and drawn out play, you'll just look to create a shot and shoot sometimes, eg)

As well as the pace associated with this breaking other teams and those who can adapt to it in-game.

In this sense, it's highly predicated upon specific players you need to have. But I think we...overestimate...how specific or rare these players are.

Nash, is the poster child. So use him for one example. He was a good player pre-MD. But his goods were what mattered most. He had vision and quick decision making, p&r skills, and good range in shooting 3s. And he was smart; in that he has confidence in his bball IQ to know what he had to do, what he was asked to do, and do it with confidence.

These ingredients allowed MD to take Good Nash and make him virtually HOF PG Nash.

This is my take on all this MD's "system" shit and what it really means.

Following that, if you took even a below average...or just average PG...but they had those Nash-like goods that MD likes...they can still be just average...but MD can turn them into all-star type players.

Plus, Nash was in the end of his prime, start of typical decline years with D'ant. Imagine the added impact of D'ant with a young PG with a similiar skill *set* that D'ant could work with and groom during those typical growth years.

Starks

Starter
Who gives a shit what this retarded crackhead thinks. If it has gotten to a point where we give any value to ramblings of confirmed mental patient, then maybe we really are living in a country where Sarah Palin can be President in 2012. Jesus Christ

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
While Marbury is obviously bitter about how things ended, he makes no mistake about Mike D'Antoni and his system. D'Antoni's system allows for guys like Duhon, Boris Diow and to an extent David Lee look like All-Stars as it inflates numbers. D'antoni is not going to win you a championship but he will get you paid. A lot of Suns went on to sign huge deals and David Lee is an 80 Million Dollar Man now yet Mike's system has given no indication that it can win A title.

I will says this about Mike D tho. I don't think hes a bad defensive coach. But rather his offense falls apart in the playoffs when the game slows down and possessions matter more. All of a sudden a lack of a low post game becomes a glaring weakness, you become a jump shooting team, and you get pounded on the boards "one and done." The on defense you got Amare guarding centers and Chandler guarding bigger PF's and so on so you get exploited in the paint. It's not like these guys can;t play defense or Mike D'Antoni doesn't coach it, but rather there are way too many mismatches out there.

The idea that you can somehow run another team out the building is a fallacy as when the Suns tried to do it to the Spurs Tony and Manu would just beat them at their own game. In short most teams have adapted their personal so they can keep up with a fast paced team especially after Dallas lost to Golden State. Which is the only time I can remember small ball working. Then again Dirk and Erick Dampier were too slow to keep up and that whole Warriors team played unreal in that series (Baron, Richardson, Jackson played like all-stars every game).

Bottomline is players are quicker and more athletic these days and teams have evolved and are just better equipped to contain an uptempo offense. Mike D's system however, has not really evolved or developed any kind of nuance to counter this.

KBlack25

Starter
It's difficult (nearly impossible) for me to care less about what Stephon Marbury has to say. He is clearly still bitter from the way things went down. D feuded with Nate you don't see Nate in the media with his panties in a bunch over it...he moved on. Steph should too, it's healthy to put the past in the past.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Marbury is speaking the truth, guys.

It's only a matter of time before D'Antoni gets the axe. He put a countdown on his head.

D'Antoni's coaching record with the Knicks: 65-111(.369)

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
abcd sick thread yet again

i agree with marbs i read this a few days ago anyone who doesnt like Dam'phony and still disagrees with what marbury said then their just haters, be pretty much wrapped up all of our complaints in a nutshell and like it or not dam'phonys days are numbered, even if we do roll off a few wins its all fools gold the same problems will continue to arise unless we fix the source of the problem ( the coach)

marbs is the man and still speaking the truth!:peace:

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what Marbury said but the fact that anyone would quote a clown like Marbury. I'm definitely getting tired of D'Antoni and his no defense poor coaching. I want a defensive minded coach but he must be able to coach offense too so no to someone like Larry Brown.

metrocard

Legend
Who gives a shit what this retarded crackhead thinks. If it has gotten to a point where we give any value to ramblings of confirmed mental patient, then maybe we really are living in a country where Sarah Palin can be President in 2012. Jesus Christ

Who gives a shit what you think?

Marbury has accomplished more in his life in one day than you have your whole life.

Stop acting higher than athletes.

KBlack25

Starter
Of course there will be people who love what Marbury is saying, those that hate him because of who he is. No need to rehash this thing for the trillionth time on this board.

I understand Marbury has an opinion which he is entitled to express, but I don't put much weight in it because of the past problems he had with D'Antoni...he has a built-in bias, D'Antoni could personally pave the streets of NY with gold and Steph would complain it is too bright.

What he is saying might be true, it might be purely conjecture. You may think he is speaking the truth, I personally think he might be speaking what might ultimately wind up being true, but is speaking out of personal bias.

Starks

Starter
Who gives a shit what you think?

Marbury has accomplished more in his life in one day than you have your whole life.

Stop acting higher than athletes.

I am better than Stephon. I just don't have or will ever have as much money that idiot... God Bless America. Go to school, get you Masters, work for a Social Service organiztion that helps the poor and needy. Yet the Marburys and Snookis of the world laugh to their way to the bank.

Starks

Starter
Listen, Metro, lets just agree to disagree.

I devoted my entire life to helping the poor, jobless, refugees, and others in need, and it will still be nothing but a blip compared to a single check he could write, so i know he's done some positive things on the side.

Fact of the matter is he's not a member of the Knicks. I along with thousands of Knick fans hate him and cant stand the site of his face or his youtube videos of him talking about aliens and vasoline eating. At the same time, thousands seem to love him and literally defend everything about him. He's the Sarah Palin of the Knicks. No middle ground.