J.R. Smith Supporter Perspective

Bharan

Rookie
Now it's quite possible I'll be accused of being a dick rider, and I haven't posted on these boards in quite some time. While I would prefer not to reenter unknown and in such a controversial manner, I noticed alot of you guys complaining about J.R. Smith.

I'd just like to offer my perspective and if you differ, feel free to debate me.

My post was spurred by a Kobe fan who didn't want to debate basketball. He just said "Why is J.R. Smith taking mad shots and trying to copy Kobe. Bench his ass."

So... BAM

We signed J.R. Smith because we know what he is. Is he a proven champion? No. If you want that, perhaps you can go and sign Bill Russell a 10 day free agent contract.

He is a proven, explosive scorer who when he heats up, it pays off. In OT when he was hitting all those shots, all of his haters suddenly dissipated, and they were quietly discontent or sounding off the horns of "Well we wouldn't be in this place if he had made those shots."

Kobe Bryant sometimes goes 5-20, 7-24, and similar things, with the Lakers escaping with a W because of the play of Bynum and Gasol.

While many of you would say "You are comparing J.R. Smith to Kobe Bryant? Gtfo, you don't know anything about basketball." Look past that and you will see that when Kobe OR J.R. Smith plays well, the dynamic of the team changes. You don't leave J.R. Smith open nor Kobe Bryant. These two men are scorers - take away all other monikers, they score the basketball.

When J.R. Smith is hitting, you don't see 3 men packed in the paint for when Melo 9/10 times beats his man on the Iso with a strong spin. You see J.R., Novak, Amare ready and willing to hit the open shot or for the 1st one, ABLE to go into triple threat position.

We don't even deserve to be in the post season ahead of the Bucks because of our coaching inconsistency for the majority of the season, our plethora of injuries. But when and if we get there, it is only by explosive scorers like J.R. lighting up that we will have the firepower to make it past a Miami or a Chicago.

Novak isn't going to be big against a good perimeter defender like Miami.

Baron Davis will turn over the ball against Miami's aggressive young points and in the event that they shift wade and Bron to the 1 and 2, the size, speed, and athleticism will make him more of a nonfactor then he already is.

Jared Jeffries - I like the guy, I really do, but he is there for defense and his offensive flaws, aside from a few open jumpers and some good looks at the basket in the paint, due to offensive penetration causing miscommunications and lost assignments will give him perhaps 8-10 shots, of which he is good for 3-6 FIELD GOALS. That's not winning games. It's not being a liability offensively.

Tyson Chandler - Big man can put in work. I believe in Chandler and he has improved from his NOH days offensively, but his field goals are not going to win a game. He makes stop defensively and alters shots, or D Rose could have quite a different field goald percentage which leads me to...

Shumpert - This guy is a great, solid defensive guard with some complementary offensive moves. I love defensive guards and Shumpert will be, if he is not already top 5. He will contribute a major portion of our defense and be a good tool in the Knicks offensive belt.

You can go on and on, but talking about Shumpert brings me to my main point. He will be a good tool in the offensive schemes (Sorry I refer to you as a tool Shump. You da man), but it is only by getting our (potential, being Melo, Smith) cannons firing, that we will go anywhere, because defenses in the NBA play offs are too damn good to not seriously cut down Novak, Fields' (Boston anybody), Jeffries' production.

:2cents: :crossfingers:

Good to be back!

Munchen13

Benchwarmer
yes, i was gonna go to ny to kick JR's ass due to those missed shots he had

but after all, he is a pure shooter, just like melo.. so he HAS to take to those shots, and it's OKAY when he misses them... because he WILL get it right eventually, and he DID in the beginning of the over time... so kudos to JR for keeping his attempts...

whoever doubts his shooting abilities has an NBA lack of knowledge... because we already know that JR's shots is dangerous, and every other team knows that about him

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
No, I don't have to accept the game he had today. He wasn't looking for his teammates like other games. I can take some of that, but not how he played today. He needs to go back to playing team ball, and if not, Woodson has to put someone else in. I like him, but his play today was far from good. The Knicks might have not had to go to overtime if he was taking better shots and moving the ball. I want him to drive a lot more, he has the ability to.

Bharan

Rookie
Yeah RunningJumper, I see where you are coming from.

Mike Woodson ran the Iso Joe offense, where he would let Joe Johnson isolate in Atlanta and make plays. Iso focused basketball is entirely based on the player.

I'm a fan of it, especially with a superior offensive weapon like Anthony. Its his duty as a coach to effectively utilize them both at the same time though. With Carmelo occupying that spot, what will J.R Smith be worked into?

With all of our injuries and our depth chart shrinking dramatically, players have to shift responsibilities somewhat to fulfill the game plan. (Somewhat of a football comparison perhaps).

I do agree that we could be getting more from him though

skisloper

Starter
JR can be a game changer .......for both winning games and losing games...

Why Woodson did not sit him at all in the 4th and 1/2 of the 3rd is beyond me....

Its almost Like Dantonio syndrome....crossing your fingers and hoping smith gets hot....

Fields should have been in even to give smith 5 minutes on the bench for him to gather himself...

Great win...............And for those saying everyone was bashing Melo earlier...and now look....well I think they are missing the point....Melo should always play this hard.....

KingCharles34

All Star
I know why JR Smith got those minutes in the 3rd and 4th, when he gets hot he gets hot like no one else. No homo, he can put up points as quick as anyone else in the league.

Smith was more consistent with the Nuggets then hes been so far with the Knicks, but im willing to deal with his inconsistent shooting. Skisloper said it best when he said this

"JR can be a game changer .......for both winning games and losing games..."

very true...I do hope Woodson is a little more conservative in the future with JR Smith, he gave him a few too many minutes. We cant take chances

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I want to know why Woodson is giving novak's minutes away to Smith when he cannot hit the ocean right now if he fell out of a boat.Woodson almost single handedly lost that game today by himself.You got the best three point shooter on your team in novak YET for some reason you want to play Smith.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
If Jr plays good against the Bulls tomorrow everyone will love him again, just like everyone all of a sudden loves Melo now.. nuff said

skisloper

Starter
I know why JR Smith got those minutes in the 3rd and 4th, when he gets hot he gets hot like no one else. No homo, he can put up points as quick as anyone else in the league.

Smith was more consistent with the Nuggets then hes been so far with the Knicks, but im willing to deal with his inconsistent shooting. Skisloper said it best when he said this

"JR can be a game changer .......for both winning games and losing games..."

very true...I do hope Woodson is a little more conservative in the future with JR Smith, he gave him a few too many minutes. We cant take chances

What made absolutely no sense is that he did not sit Smith for 5 minutes.....I mean if you are willing to the roll the dice with a dude he keeps missing at least let him sit for 2 minutes and regroup........Smith is a tough guy so I like having his swagger on the court defensivly...

tiger0330

Legend
Woody needs to reel JR in, 22 shots for a sub is uncalled for. Going 6-22, 1-11 from 3 is going to lose you more games than you win. I could understand if it was one game and if the dude had been hot all season long but he hasn't. Why did he only make one layup yesterday and no FT attempts? He's got the speed and hops to take it to the rim way more than he does, why does he settle for the jumper all the time.

Number3

Benchwarmer
I want to know why Woodson is giving novak's minutes away to Smith when he cannot hit the ocean right now if he fell out of a boat.Woodson almost single handedly lost that game today by himself.You got the best three point shooter on your team in novak YET for some reason you want to play Smith.

did u see when Woodson was about to put in Novak and Jr smith hit the 3 and made a defensive effort to turn the ball over... Novak was at the middle of the court bout to go in and Woodson sat him lol... guess he saw Jr Smith playing aggresive on D and started to get hot... he believes in him.... and Novak can not creat his own shot and doesnt penetrate or dribble

skisloper

Starter
did u see when Woodson was about to put in Novak and Jr smith hit the 3 and made a defensive effort to turn the ball over... Novak was at the middle of the court bout to go in and Woodson sat him lol... guess he saw Jr Smith playing aggresive on D and started to get hot... he believes in him.... and Novak can not creat his own shot and doesnt penetrate or dribble

At that point after JR finally made a shot I too would have left him in......

Number3

Benchwarmer
At that point after JR finally made a shot I too would have left him in......

yea def.. Novak is a great shooter .. but hes one dimension.. only can shoot the ball when no ones on him...Jr can ceate his own shot, penetrate, dribble, distribute,pull up, create his own shot, and play with a allot of energy on Defense

skisloper

Starter
Landry was also more then available.....I get Woodson's belief in JR but it cost us the Pacers game and his 6 for 22 shooting without a second on the bench in the 4th quarter almost lost us the Bulls game....

Its reminds me of so much of Danotnios thinking....

SO YES I am thrilled Dantonio is gone....

AND YES if this is the worst of Woodson in playing JR too much then thats ok with me,,,,

pat

Starter
Landry was also more then available...

Amen. Also putting in Fields and Novak on offense could have done the trick. Fields ability to penetrate to the basket could have opened shots for Novak. So you'd play Melo, Chandler, Fields, Novak and Shumpert.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
After the Chicago game Woody said he wanted to bench JR and replace him with Novak but then Swish started hitting his shots. Besides, IMO there is something personal between Fields and Woodson, maybe Landry's been banging Woody's daughter? Under MDA Fields played around 30 minutes/game, under Woody he hit that mark only once... his PT's been limited to 22-23 min/game.

skisloper

Starter
After the Chicago game Woody said he wanted to bench JR and replace him with Novak but then Swish started hitting his shots. Besides, IMO there is something personal between Fields and Woodson, maybe Landry's been banging Woody's daughter? Under MDA Fields played around 30 minutes/game, under Woody he hit that mark only once... his PT's been limited to 22-23 min/game.

I guess he figured he missed 10 in a row and now made one so maybe this is when JR gets hot....

He really does fade away from Fields in the 2nd half......The guy is high energy in spurts .......a breather for JR would not have hurt....

does Woodson have a hot daughter ?

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

Yeah I saw that and I was screaming for novak to come in.You say that Novak can't create his own shot and doesnt penetrate or dribble?Smith might be able to do that but he misses 60-70% of his shots even when he does that. I like Woodson has a coach BUT if he is going to start letting players run wild and throw up 30 footers and miss WHILE keeping novak and fields on the bench in cridical moments in the game then he has to go.I can't stand a coach that plays favortes and not coach a team. Novak has done so much more to help this team win then Smith has ever done.Same goes for fields!! I would play fields over smith b/c atleast he does play team ball and he is very hard to stop from scoring when close to the rim.

metrocard

Legend
Smith's defense rebounding and overall play besides his streaky shooting has been great. Smith shooting woes seems like he's just shooting too hard.