Woodson To Sign Long Term This Week

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
They showed some interest but Dolan wants no part of them.
Did they? There were some rumors, but I can't recall Phil or Sloan saying he's interested in the job... my point is, there were also rumors Knicks were giving one year deals only and CP3 demaded a trade to NY and we all know how it actually turned out, with us signing Tyson to a multiple year contract and CP3 moving to LA.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Did they? There were some rumors, but I can't recall Phil or Sloan saying he's interested in the job... my point is, there were also rumors Knicks were giving one year deals only and CP3 demaded a trade to NY and we all know how it actually turned out, with us signing Tyson to a multiple year contract and CP3 moving to LA.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...t-jerry-sloan-has-interest-in-coaching-knicks

Knicks had not contacted Jackson...there is no guarantee he would take the job, but, "he would listen."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/s...o-play-it-safe-and-keep-their-coach.html?_r=2

New New York

Quiet Storm
Terrible move. Woodson is a bum coach, we saw this in the playoffs. I can't believe we pushed D'Antoni out of town but will give Woodson an extension.

And we didn't even make a play at any big names.

Mike Woodson is everything Dantoni is not!

He demands defense from his players, he has the balls to tell them they are wrong and most important....his system worked with the players he had!

Big Names!!! Dantoni was a big name!

Jeff Van Gundy earned his name as our coach, and hopefully Woody will too!

Plus....how can you blame our playoff performance on Woodson! Phil Jackson couldve been coaching with Calapari as top assistant and I assure you the results would have been the same!

Miami looked like a team with chemistry and we looked like a team that had 3 players starting for us who had never played a playoff game together and one of our starters being a injured backup player!

New New York

Quiet Storm
He's not a coach that will take you to the next level. The only other guy with a worse playoffs record than Melo is Woodson. Together, they will flounder like fish in the first round for the next 3 years. Then a rebuild, then maybe we go for the big name again in someone like Blake Griffin who may be weak by then.

The Atlanta Hawks went from a lottery team to a 50 win team in 4 seasons under Woodson, that to me is taking a team to the next level

CA7

Scoring Champ
Woodson with a full off-season and way more talent than he had in Atlanta will make us a 50-55 win team. I pray to god Anthony/Stoudemire/Lin mesh like Ginobili/Duncan/Parker, Pierce/Garnett/Rondo or at least Nowitski/Kidd/Terry

Our defense will be top 10 our offense will be top 10 if we find consistency and beat the teams we're suppose to beat then we have a great shot at being NBA Champions

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I know everyone wants a championship, but let's be realistic and grateful for what we have. Look where we were two seasons ago. In the nba doghouse.

This year was terrible with injuries, next year we will be healthier and have had a full offseason together. This will help us infinitely with chemistry. Tyson and Amare will be conducting workouts together with the dream, and Lin, Melo and Tyson will be playing in the olympics and training together.

Giving Woodson 3 years with players that fit his system may not lead us to a title but we will definitely be in the upper realm of the NBA. For once we are surrounding the coach with players who fit his system (capable iso players) and with a few more minor pieces in the offseason, capable defenders who will also bring energy on the boards.

Let's be realistic here:

Phil Jackson: Nothing more than rumours linking him here and he bashed Melo and Amare's games.

Jeff Van Gundy: People are just kidding themselves if they think he would come back here after all the Dolan drama, he isn't stupid and knows that money making and ticket sales are the hidden agenda's.

Stan Van Gundy: Would have heard the horror stories from his brother and probably doesn't want to walk into another job where he will be torched and bashed by fans 24/7.

Jerry Sloan: Kind of genuinely pissed he wasn't seriously considered but hey we may have made a call.

Calipari: Already stated he wanted to stay with Kentucky, it's a cosy job and his previous tenure in the NBA proved to be unsuccessful.

Let's give Woodson the courtesy of a full season before we tear him to shreds, we have a defensive minded coach who also has 2 very potent offensive weapons. Give him the chance he earned.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Woodson still holds the record as the most lopsided 4-game playoff sweep, when his 3rd seeded Hawks were swept by 2nd seeded Magic.

Different standards for different folks. Some are just ecstatic by making the playoffs; others are not.

Why would you want Luol, Harden, Gasols when you have a chance get Howard, LeBron, Durant, or Westbrook??

This thread will close in a couple of days. Knicks will make an annoucement of Woodson's multiyear contract within a few days!

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
Lol...c'mon guys. You knew once Dolan said "fire your agent" and Woodson did, that he'd be the next coach.

I would have loved Phil Jackson bringing the triangle offense to NY, but with Dolan running the show, that's just not gonna happen. One of the big draws of having Jackson as your coach is luring star players that want to play for him. But since the Knicks are pretty much capped out for the next few years, that's not gonna happen either.

I think Woodson derserves a shot, especially since he has the support of the players.
Don't forget, before Amare and Lin got injured, Knicks were looking real good. He also bought out the best of Melo in that game against the Bulls.
The one mistake he made this season was not avoiding the Heat in the playoffs.

Last edited:

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Saw this on another site and thought it was well worth posting:

"First of all, championship coaches have to develop over time. If you limit your search to only include those who have won a title, you're looking at a very small sample size.

Doc Rivers was viewed as a coaching failure in 2003 after the Magic got off to a 1-10 start, and was fired. We all know what he did later with the Celtics. If he hadn't been allowed time to develop, nobody would know he was capable of.

The main point is that you need fresh blood into the coaching ranks. One of the reasons that the NFL is so stagnant in both offensive and defensive playcalling is because they keep on recycling the same names, over and over and over.

Woodson has shown great development as a coach. Witness his record improving each and every year at the helm of the Hawks. After he took over from Pringles, the team went 18-6 (.750).

So, he absolutely deserves a few seasons to show what he can do. At this point, its impossible to say that he won't develop into a championship-level coach. Its the right move to give him a shot, and preserve some stability within the franchise."

pat

Starter
Plus....how can you blame our playoff performance on Woodson!

15 shots, 3 buckets, 0 rebounds, 0 steal, 0 assists. 36 minutes. Benching Fields for three quarters after his best quarter in the playoffs. That's how he is messing up team chemistry. He has got "coach's pets".

skisloper

Starter
15 shots, 3 buckets, 0 rebounds, 0 steal, 0 assists. 36 minutes. Benching Fields for three quarters after his best quarter in the playoffs. That's how he is messing up team chemistry. He has got "coach's pets".

Amen to that ...........Woodsons handing of Fields vs. Smith was a fkin joke....Every mistake Fields made and he was pulled out and benched...
Woodson for sure has his pets.......Not designing ONE SINGLE play for Novak would have had Dantonio haters up in arms....

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I love what Woody has done in the regular season. I haven't seen Melo play that hard since '09. He really got the best out of everyone from an effort and commitment standpoint.

However, looking at other coaches with better track records (PJax, Jerry Sloan) wouldn't hurt at all. To the guys who are saying that we should resign Woody just for the sake of consistency within the organization, do you really think changing coaches now would destroy the team's chemistry and kill our chances for next season? In a span of about 30 games Woody transformed this roster to a gritty, defensive minded team. Just imagine what men like Jackson and Sloan can do with a full training camp and an 82-game season with the Knicks.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Oh STFU with the Fields **** the dude literally was handing the ball the Wade JR was bad but at least could get a shot off, Fields shot how many air balls that series