Josh Selby?

finestrg

Rotation player
Saw yesterday that the Cavs just released this kid. He might not be "there" yet in terms of being all he could eventually become, but even as is right now, there's no denying this kid Selby has a lot talent. I think he could help us as is --- as a hungry youngster with great athletic ability that can shoot from deep and penetrate/get deep in the lane at will. True scorer's mentality backed up by great physical tools and loads of ability/potential. PG abilities are still a little raw but I think that'll come. I just watched some of his d-league clips and he does have some feel for the point: good ball handler, he can definitely move the ball -- saw him hit open shooters on the perimeter with nice passes, he can drive and kick and also run the pick and roll pretty smoothly. With a commitment and decent mins. somewhere, that will all come eventually. What he could do right now for us is provide another top scoring option for us to go along with Melo. This whole offense has become very predictable and easy to defend --- JR Smith's talented but this guy continues to play his usually low %/low IQ ball; Felton's been pulling his usual Jekyll & Hyde act (we desperately need Ray to play like he did against Washington ALL THE TIME. Keep applying pressure at all times. PERIOD. Woody's gotta demand that from him. Forget this 'we sat down & talked about it' stuff -- DEMAND IT FROM HIM!! Ray can't take a night off -- get in the lane, cause havoc and make plays, even if it's for himself -- when he doesn't, this is a completely different team that suffers), Amar'e's still effective but not what he used to be and on a mins. limit; Shump's not participating in this offense (I'd argue Woody's gotta call his number more and start to get him involved/instill confidence and not just replace him 5 mins into the game every night); Chandler's just not an offensive threat at all most nights; Kidd's better days are clearly behind him, etc... This kid Selby reminds me of the countless effective combo guards in the NBA that are thriving today: Toney Douglas (much more athletic & talented than TD with so much more potential), Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford, Monta Ellis, Aaron Brooks, some JR Smith in a PG's body --- I see a little of all these players in Selby. We could use some of that. They'll never do it---they're clearly into these antique store-type vets above all else--why I don't know, but I'd grab this kid. I think it could turn out to be your classic low risk/high reward scenario.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

dude, i totally agree with you, ever since Selby destroyed the Knicks in summer league,
i've been following him, and nothing at all became of him this year. no run in Cleveland,
a fine d-league, and now he's dropped? maybe he's a headcase? this kid was one of
the best scorers in summer league, i thought that would account for something... not to be.

i'd be totally cool with Knicks picking up such a young stud with unlimited potential, but then
again, this is the Knicks braintrust we're talking about; here i thought Raja Bell would be under
consideration...

other than Selby, that's quite a rant you've got there...

metrocard

Legend
Josh Selby
10.1 PPG (on 11 shots per game)
4.1 APG
4.4 Turnovers Per Game
2.4 RPG
30% FG
14% 3PT
72% 3PT
1.1 SPG

Terrible defender.
Can't run an offense or pass the ball.
Turnover prone, ball handling is weak to be the primary ball handler without coughing it up.
Attempts more shots per game than he actually scores points, think of a 6"1 JR Smith on a molly.
Undersized at 6"1. One of the worst shooting guards to grace the NBA.
Just not skilled or talented enough to make in the NBA. his moves are predicable and his IQ is low.
There have been moments he has looked like the worst guard in NBA history since Jamison Brewer.

CoolClyde

Josh Selby
4.1 APG
4.4 Turnovers Per Game
2.4 RPG
30% FG
14% 3PT
72% 3PT
1.1 SPG

Terrible defender.
Turnover prone, ball handling is weak to be the primary ball handler without coughing it up.
Attempts more shots per game than he actually scores points, think of a 6"1 JR Smith on a molly.
Just not skilled or talented enough to make in the NBA. his moves are predicable and his IQ is low.
There have been moments he has looked like the worst guard in NBA history since Jamison Brewer.

damn, Metro. good post. those stats should pretty much close this thread~

finestrg

Rotation player
Josh Selby
4.1 APG
4.4 Turnovers Per Game
2.4 RPG
30% FG
14% 3PT
72% 3PT
1.1 SPG

Terrible defender.

Not sure where you got those exact numbers -- look, obviously putting up efficient/consistent stats clearly hasn't been this kid's forte yet, that's true, but to be fair, those weren't his college numbers, his summer league numbers, his D-League numbers or even his NBA numbers. If anything, they're close to his NBA career numbers but look at the sample size we're talking about:

In only 38 total NBA games so far over 2 seasons at Memphis:

Only 7.8 mins. per game, only 2.2 ppg on 33% FGs (0.8-2.5 attempts), 14.3% on 3s (only 0.1-0.6 attempts), 72% FTs, 0.5 apg, 0.9 rpg, 0.2 steals.

Where's the 10.1 ppg on 11 shot attempts you mentioned??? Bottom line here is -- throw these numbers out. Can't possibly rate him on this small a sample size.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6467/josh-selby

College numbers (one and done at KU) -- decent, low overall FG% but over 36% from 3, about 8 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.2 apg -- and this was all in only about 20 mpg, again a smallish sample size):

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6467/type/college/josh-selby

Now to the better, more telling stats --

D-League -- shooting percentage still pretty low but over 35% from 3, almost 20 ppg, with 1.3 steals, and better than average assist and rebounding totals (much bigger sample size btw -- over 20 DL games, playing over 33 mins. a night):

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/josh_selby/

And as Clyde pointed out he ripped apart summer league this past summer:

http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_josh_selby/

Only one and done at KU, never got a true shot in the NBA as of yet -- gotta take this into consideration. I understand some of the other numbers aren't spectacular either, but they're not terrible. Can't judge a book by it's cover and you can't judge a player by his stats based on a small sample size. This kid's young man -- technically, he should still be in college. Imagine what his numbers would be like if he stayed in school...This kid's got some real talent -- I'd cut the useless James White and take a flier on him.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Those are Selby's per 36 minute stats in his career in the NBA, which is over now.
Guy's like Selby don't last long in the NBA.
This is a league where if you're going to be a scorer, you need to be on Tony Parker's, LeBron's, Wade's, Bryants, Hardens or Anthony's level. Selby wouldnt even a be worthy player in the BSN (Puerto Rican Pro League).

If he would good, if he would of got minutes. Cleveland doesn't have crazy depth at the guard position, just Kyrie Irving and other guards who are C or D level guards in the NBA. Selby is an F level player and doesn't excel at anything. His athleticism isn't even that crazy.

2.2 PPG on 2.5 attempts is still pathetic. This is a guy who will take more shots than score points. He ain't Allen Iverson baby.

D-League stats are meaningless.

Jose Juan Barea almost averaged a triple double in the NBDL. His NBA per 36 averages are 17 ppg 6 asp and 4 rpg

He's a low FG % shooter, in KU and in the NBDL. He will never shoot higher than 35% in the NBA.

Real talent? He has none. He has done nothing significant in his career. James White had a better college career than Selby, better European career, and atleast got some starts on an elite NBA team DESPITE not producing well, White obviously earned the trust and respect of an NBA coach, where as Selby was an afterthought and a guy who will never see the NBA again.

He shot 37% at KU
He shot 41% at the NBDL (which is sadly low and embarrassing considering no defense is played at the NBDL)
He shoots 33% in the NBA.

What's your fascination with this guy? Not only he's bad on defense, as a passer, but he's a complete mess on offense.

His numbers will be the same if he stayed 4 years at Kansas. He's the same player he was in high school. Playing 3 years of college ball doesn't necessary make you better and more ready for the NBA ALL the time. Ask Wayne Simien how he did with that.

Not every un-noticed free agent has talent and is a potential steal. Before joining the Knicks, Jeremy Lin showed a lot of flashes in Golden State as a passer and defender. New York is where Jeremy displayed his scoring ability. This goes to the fact that Lin was a BEAST at college and in High School ball, he's always been a productive player throughout his career.

Not only Selby is inconsistent but him at his best isn't even average. He still stinks up game with his turnovers, bad shot selection, inability to be shoot accurately, over dribbles and doesn't play the team game. He's the last thing you want on a team if you're trying to win.

We have 3 PG's on this team, along with Shump and Smith who run the 2 guard position...We need an UPGRADE at PG, not a huge down grade to a guy who's not good enough to make this team.