JR Smith on the trading block

Not sure who would want JR with his 6 million plus player option for two seasons from now, but if there is a market for him and it doesn't cost us anything special, then I'd be happy to be done with him. He has star potential when he drives to the hoop, but he proved these last two season he's only going to do that one out of every 10 games at most consistently, so what's the point?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Unless we're moving a pick with him, he'll remain there.

Not sure who would want JR with his 6 million plus player option for two seasons from now, but if there is a market for him and it doesn't cost us anything special, then I'd be happy to be done with him. He has star potential when he drives to the hoop, but he proved these last two season he's only going to do that one out of every 10 games at most consistently, so what's the point?

If Phil Jackson can pull off negotiations and grab one of these three: C. Landry, J. Thompson or E. Ilyasova then we get our 5th starter for JR Smith... Carl Landry, Jason Thompson both are making roughly $6 Million, and Ersan Ilyasova has 3 years left with $24 Million ($7.9 M this year)... If P.J. can pull this off the best would be player for player without giving up any picks...

Not saying it is an ideal situation but Smith did end the year on a high note producing at an above average level and if they are in need of a capable starter that will likely opt-out after this year, while unloading a multiple year contract, then they win but we also gain as well... We are still looking for that 5th starter in our starting lineup and anyone of those three could step in and be that guy...

Phil will probably have to give the rights to one of our overseas prospects to get it done, but its not the end of the world if that happens... Hopefully we keep Thanasis Antetokounmpo, think he has a good base to build from...
[h=2][/h]

tiger0330

Legend
Proven knucklehead and certainly not a player PJ wants around. My bet is he's moved before the season starts. Hopefully JKidd remembers his former teammate and we can unload him to the Bucks.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Idk if anyone saw JR's interview on First Take this morning but it was pretty good. Steven A asked point blank what happened to JR's scoring average and the team in general. JR said he was coming off the knee surgery and that set him back. The team answers were more interesting. When asked about team effort on the defensive end JR said they were "confused" on defense. I thought that was honest because that's how it looked. When asked if Tyson was to blame JR didn't really say an he didn't throw Woody under the bus either. JR took blame as a player and I thought that was pretty standup. And I guess JR is a great golfer as he won the ESPY golf tourney. All and all JR didn't come off as nearly the nitwit he seems and I hope JR has a great bounce back season for us this upcoming year.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Idk if anyone saw JR's interview on First Take this morning but it was pretty good. Steven A asked point blank what happened to JR's scoring average and the team in general. JR said he was coming off the knee surgery and that set him back. The team answers were more interesting. When asked about team effort on the defensive end JR said they were "confused" on defense. I thought that was honest because that's how it looked. When asked if Tyson was to blame JR didn't really say an he didn't throw Woody under the bus either. JR took blame as a player and I thought that was pretty standup. And I guess JR is a great golfer as he won the ESPY golf tourney. All and all JR didn't come off as nearly the nitwit he seems and I hope JR has a great bounce back season for us this upcoming year.
I want to see him on First Take.

I also want him to have a bounce back season for the Knicks. Maybe Phil and Fisher could turn things around for him.

Broadway

All Star
I want to see him on First Take.

I also want him to have a bounce back season for the Knicks. Maybe Phil and Fisher could turn things around for him.

I look forward to the day we're not always in the business of reclamation projects. I mean how many does this make for our team where we as fans say the above?

If going by such words of hope, you'd expect every player on our team to have a career yr this yr. Sorry that's not gonna happen.

We need to trade who we can, even if it comes at a bit of a hit. We need to start properly developing players and build real value and abort stunting growth because we have monies tied up in dead weight or because we're trying to rekindle what's no longer there.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Source: Knicks open to dealing J.R., Shump

ESPN -- Working to clear the logjam in the backcourt, the Knicks are discussing their potential trade options with guards J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert and Shane Larkin, a league source said Sunday.

?They?re working on trying to make a move in the backcourt,? the NBA source familiar with the Knicks? thinking said.

The idea that the Knicks are trying to make a trade to balance the roster isn?t earth-shattering. President Phil Jackson and GM Steve Mills have mentioned the Knicks have a surplus in the backcourt, with Mills saying last week the Knicks are ?heavy? at shooting guard.

The issue for the Knicks, of course, is deciding whom to send out in a trade and figuring out what they can get in return in such a transaction.

Tim Hardaway Jr. has been deemed virtually untouchable, per a source.

Smith, the 2012-13 Sixth Man Award winner, has a player option in his contract for $6.4 million for the 2015-16 season and is coming off what he called the worst season of his NBA career. As such, it is unclear how much interest he could draw on the open market.

Shumpert is viewed as a strong defender but couldn?t find his comfort zone on offense last season. He was made available in several trade proposals throughout the season. His value at this point in the trade market is also unclear.

Larkin was recently acquired from the Mavericks in the trade that also netted Jose Calderon and Samuel Dalembert.

The Knicks tried to include Shumpert in deals earlier in the offseason in an effort to unload the contracts of Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million) and Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million). No deal materialized for either player. It is unclear if such packages are still being discussed or if the guards are being offered individually at this point.

The Knicks have four shooting guards on the roster. They also haven?t ruled out re-signing free-agent PG/SG Toure' Murry. He has drawn interest from the Utah Jazz and Miami Heat, according to a report Sunday from the Salt Lake Tribune.

Question: If you were Phil Jackson or Steve Mills, would you trade one of the Knicks' guards? If so, who and why?

tiger0330

Legend
Doesn't surprise me that JR came off well on First Take. I said back when he won his 6th man award that I was impressed with his demeanor after seeing him in a few post-game interviews that year. He disappointed in the playoffs by going partying when the Knicks had a chance to go to the conference finals for the first time in over a decade, guys bent on winning don't do some of the things JR has done over the last year.

He's talented but he's a bonehead and I would trade him for some draft picks and unclog that logjam at SG and give Timmy a shot at starting.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Could this offer work for both sides???

New York Knicks get: Arnett Moultrie & Top 10 Protected 2016 1st Round Pick

Philadelphia 76ers get: J.R. Smith, Andrea Bargnani & Shane Larkin

Speculation is that Philly is seeking to offer Eric Bledsoe an offer sheet... They would still have plenty of cap space to make a legitimate offer...

The 6ers have a lot of bodies on their roster and if we needed to take back a couple of them to make it work, it shouldn't be a problem... Henry Sims and/or Jarvis Varnado's contracts are one year under a $1 M each... In the end we would be pushing roughly $14 Million in total off the books, which would put us clearly under the hard cap around $76 M...

PG: Jose Calderon, Pablo Prigioni
SG: Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF: Carmelo Anthony, Cleanthony Early
PF: Amare Stoudemire, Jason Smith, Arnett Moultrie
C: Samuel Dalembert, Jeremy Tyler, Cole Aldrich

Stashing Louis Labyrie in France, and Thanasis Antetokounmpo in the D-League for one year will allow Phil Jackson to give Kenyon Martin a partially guaranteed contract to bolster the front court...

Still believe both Wayne Ellington & Shannon Brown aren't like to make the final cut...
Could see us taking a flyer on a veteran like Dahntay Jones to back up Anthony at the SF position...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tim Hardaway play some point guard throughout the season to see if he can handle the point position... Having a lineup with both Hardaway Jr. & Melo on the court while still having Shumpert available on the defensive end could give us our small 3 :thumbsup: ...