JR Smith expected to test free agency

skisloper

Starter
How do we know that website is a reliable source? I've never even heard of it. Seems like it's simply someone's opinion. It might be true, it might not. I wouldn't put much stock into it either way.

Of course Smith will shoot for free agency....he can sign a 4 year deal between 14-18 million......He would be nuts not do it...

Without a consistant starting PG, A rookie SG and no Stat .I would say JR is the perfect fix for a situation like this....A guy who is a not afraid to just go for it....Problem is JR would do this in every situation.....We do not need him back...

Keeping Lin as our starting PG and keeping Fields as a High Energy player off the bench is key....Of course Novak is the guy we may lose who we need to pray is willing to embrace NY for less money.....

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.dailyknicks.com/j-r-smith-will-test-free-agency-this-off-season/3075/2012/04/19

Sad but not all that unexpected, kind of hoped he'd be loyal and stay, with his increased role and Woodson's confidence in him.

Isn't meant to be that smart with his money though.

SmithT310.jpg

Most Likely he is going to the Clippers or some other good team that has more cap room, maybe the Mavericks.

I dont see him signing for 2.5 mil unless he loves the team, his role and the coaches trust in him so much that it makes him want to take another year but JR will go for the money.

That leaves us with relying on Shumpert to improve his offense, which I believe he will improve over time. Shumpert strength and athelticism and his ability to slash can make him an explosive player, he has potential that is skys the limit but many guys have that and still are playing in the D league or in Europe/China.

Shumpert needs to develop a consistent outside jumper but the mentality on offense to slah first...he has to play like Derrick Rose always looking to slash and draw fouls.

I dont want us to resign Fields...he is terrible and cant hit a shot. I would rather have a guy like Jodie Meeks who can dril outside shots and is cheap. Maybe ANthony Parker next year?

I won't miss Jr's shooting slumps and inconsistency.

But he is a dynamic player that is great off of any bench.

Kiyaman

Legend
Most Likely he is going to the Clippers or some other good team that has more cap room, maybe the Mavericks.

I dont see him signing for 2.5 mil unless he loves the team, his role and the coaches trust in him so much that it makes him want to take another year but JR will go for the money.

That leaves us with relying on Shumpert to improve his offense, which I believe he will improve over time. Shumpert strength and athelticism and his ability to slash can make him an explosive player, he has potential that is skys the limit but many guys have that and still are playing in the D league or in Europe/China.

Shumpert needs to develop a consistent outside jumper but the mentality on offense to slah first...he has to play like Derrick Rose always looking to slash and draw fouls.

I dont want us to resign Fields...he is terrible and cant hit a shot. I would rather have a guy like Jodie Meeks who can dril outside shots and is cheap. Maybe ANthony Parker next year?

I dont see any teams offering a career 24 minute bench-player JR Smith above $3M per. except for a few lottery teams.
JR Smith poor passing-game & poor defense makes him a $2.5M player....under the new CBA cap.

Landry Fields 2 season performance earned him a 4 year contract at $2.5M per for his reboundin, defense, pass-first, and his all-around hustle being apart of all our winning streaks the past 2 seasons.

I recall 4 & 3 seasons ago how OKC fans felt the sameway about Sefolosha, as some Knicks fans feel about Landry Fields.
Shump is our future Harden....not JR

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I dont see any teams offering a career 24 minute bench-player JR Smith above $3M per. except for a few lottery teams.
JR Smith poor passing-game & poor defense makes him a $2.5M player....under the new CBA cap.

Landry Fields 2 season performance earned him a 4 year contract at $2.5M per for his reboundin, defense, pass-first, and his all-around hustle being apart of all our winning streaks the past 2 seasons.

I recall 4 & 3 seasons ago how OKC fans felt the sameway about Sefolosha, as some Knicks fans feel about Landry Fields.
Shump is our future Harden....not JR

Dude quit with the JR bashing on his 'poor defense and poor passing game'. He has gotten atleast 5 assists like 10 times with us so far and has been bringing great perimeter defense and rebounding.

I do think we should keep Fields, put him on a cheap 3 year contract. Looking ahead in the post Melo/Stat/Chandler era i think if we keep & develop Lin/Shump/Fields/Jordan... yes Jerome Jordan, we could have a very solid but still young core.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/17273/j-r-smith-likely-to-decline-option
Story popping up on ESPN now, i honestly think it's nothing more than a reporter deciding the stir the pot and create headlines coming into the playoffs.

Honestly don't know whether the Clippers will go after JR that aggressively due to the fact they could probably resign Nick Young for a bit cheaper (does come with same attitude problems). If they get Billups back I think JR will have the choice of Knicks option or some lottery team.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Why wouldn't JR shop himself around for a bigger contract? This is the same guy who went to play in CHINA during the lockout because he wants to get paid.