Nuggets Threaten (Nets) to Send 'Melo to Knicks

mafra

Legend
Man, this thing gets weirder by the hour. And, as expected, THE AGENT is behind all this nonsense, along with the NETS. Rose is driving it while King-Russian driving it.

If 'Melo allows his agent to shove him to NJ.... Good luck with that Carmelo. Sure, they'll also push NO (or should I say plead w/ NBA) to trade Paul to NJ, but that wont happen until 2012- if at all.

Melo's agent wants one thing: make sure he gets paid before a possible lockout. If Anthony allows his future to be decided by another man, whose main interest is to get paid off your blood, sweat, tears... WOW.

Melo needs NY more than NY needs Melo.

------------

Adrian Wojnarowski (Yahoo Sports)

Before resuming trade talks for Carmelo Anthony(notes) on Monday, the Denver Nuggets delivered a stern warning to the New Jersey Nets: Unless the public nature of these trade discussions becomes private, be warned that we will send Anthony to the New York Knicks.

Nothing else the Nuggets could?ve said would send such chills of unease through the Nets, and that?s why Denver made the threat, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Would the Nuggets do such a thing out of spite? Would they take a lesser package out of vengeance? No one could be sure, but it sure delivered one more element of drama and intrigue to these trade talks.

Indeed, the tone of the discussions between the Nuggets and Nets dramatically changed on Monday. Executives went underground with talks, and several agents were frustrated they could no longer get information from the two teams about where the talks stood. Sources still believed the Nets and Nuggets had the framework of a deal, but the talks had retreated from what one source deemed ?really close? on Sunday.

Denver pushed a reset button on the three-team blockbuster as it wanted more payroll relief and seemed determined to find a way to shed themselves of the four years and $28 million left on Al Harrington?s(notes) contract. For a young Nuggets management team under siege, this threat was something of a show of muscle.

The Detroit Pistons remained a partner in the three-team talks and the general mangers ? Denver?s Masai Ujiri and New Jersey?s Billy King ? worked throughout Monday on solutions, sources said.

The Nets and Pistons believed they had an arrangement in place Sunday that would?ve sent Anthony, Nuggets point guard Chauncey Billups(notes) and Pistons guard Richard Hamilton(notes) to the Nets as part of the blockbuster deal. Once the Nets and Pistons worked out the details of a side component to the 13-player deal on Sunday afternoon, the two teams were surprised to find Ujiri wanting to replace players in the framework of the overall trade, sources said.

Anthony?s agent, Leon Rose, has worked relentlessly to help structure the package of players that will arrive in New Jersey with Anthony.
Nuggets officials were angry with the insinuation they had backed away, insisting they never agreed to a scenario where they would complete the deal. As one Denver official told Yahoo! Sports late Sunday, ?People are trying to pressure us.?

Still, everyone involved in the trade believed the Nuggets had come too far to walk away, and talks continued between Ujiri and King.

The proposed trade will send Anthony, Hamilton, Billups, Nuggets guard Anthony Carter(notes) and forward Shelden Williams(notes) to the Nets. The Nuggets will receive two first-round picks from the Nets, point guard Devin Harris(notes), rookie forward Derrick Favors(notes), guards Anthony Morrow(notes), Ben Uzoh(notes), Stephen Graham(notes) and Quinton Ross(notes). The Pistons will get Nets forward Troy Murphy(notes) and center Johan Petro(notes).

The Nets and Pistons have all but completed a component of the trade that exchanges Murphy for Hamilton, sources said. The teams have agreed to include Petro, who has two years and $6.75 million left on his contract after this season, but were still working out whether Detroit would receive a draft pick. The Pistons are motivated to unload the remaining two years and $25 million on Hamilton?s contract for Murphy?s $12 million expiring deal.

The Nets were assisting the Pistons in finding another team to move Petro onto because Detroit ? in the midst of an ownership sale ? needs maximum financial savings for its payroll. New Jersey and Detroit were surprised on Sunday night when Denver allowed the players included in the proposed trade to play in a game against the New Orleans Hornets. The Nets believed they had fulfilled Denver?s requirements only to find the Nuggets wanted to rearrange parts in the 13-player deal.

Billups would prefer to stay in Denver, but to make him more comfortable about the trade, the Nets are expected to commit to paying him the full $14.2 million he?s due next season in the final year of his contract rather than buying him out for just $3.7 million this summer, league sources told Y! Sports? Marc Spears. Billups? agent, Andy Miller, had said Saturday that his client would immediately seek a buyout if he wasn?t happy with the trade.
The Knicks remain Anthony?s preferred destination, but Ujiri has told Knicks president Donnie Walsh that his team doesn?t have the assets Denver wants. When Walsh has asked Ujiri to provide him with a list of the Nuggets? desires, whether it be draft picks or specific players from other teams, sources said Ujiri has been unresponsive.

Rose has been the driving force behind bringing Hamilton into the talks, league sources said. Rose also represents Hamilton, and sources said he pushed King to bring the Pistons into trade talks with New Jersey and the Nuggets. Anthony has wanted the Nets to upgrade their roster upon his arrival for him to sign an extension.

?Leon is driving this one,? one front-office executive told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

With Anthony?s agent so heavily involved in brokering particular players in the deal, the Nets are working under a belief that a proposed package to bring them Hamilton and Billups would be sufficient to sell Anthony on joining them over the Knicks.

Rose and William Wesley of CAA have long wanted to get Anthony and another of their clients, New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul(notes), to the Nets as the franchise prepares for a move to Brooklyn, N.Y. For now, Rose is pushing hard to get a suitable package together for Denver to get his client off a team he longer wants to play for.

The Record of Hackensack, N.J., first reported that New Jersey had engaged Detroit in the talks on Friday.

Most league executives were uncertain as to why Anthony would believe Billups and Hamilton, ages 34 and 32, respectively, would be tantalizing. Nevertheless, Denver has shown little interest in negotiating a trade with New York and believes Anthony doesn?t want to risk free agency this offseason when a new labor agreement could cost him tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money.

As Yahoo! Sports first reported on Dec. 14, the Nets want the chance to use Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov to personally sell Anthony on signing a contract extension.

mafra

Legend
Melo did have this to say about NYK:

?Who wouldn?t want to play in New York?? Anthony said. ?I told you that last year. I think that?s how all this stuff started, by me making that comment. New York is playing well right now. I don?t think they?re looking at me, they don?t want me to come in here and mess what they have up. That?s what I?ve read.?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Again, we are getting stories driven by Agents, inner circle people, Executive's using it as leverage to discourage other suiters... On and on so we (the anxiously awaiting fans) absorb this stuff like a sponge and cling onto every "tidbit" of info that is "leaked". NJ looks to be the team with the best chance. They are willing to give Denver complete cap relief and every #1 they have in the process... Denver is pulling this stunt to nudge NJ to pull the trigger on this ABSURDLY one sided deal. NJ will be without a #1 draft pick for years, they will be capped out for years and they will have a roster of players past their prime (Billups, Hamilton and Harrington) that they will be stuck with.
God speed NJ, you think people would learn from the mistakes of the past but.... Just look at what Minnesota did for Dallas with the Hershel Walker trade... Enough said!
I'm not angry at Denver for this, they have the right to get as much as they can and if they aski for the world and a team is willing to give it to them.... All the power to them!

Again, we are getting stories driven by Agents, inner circle people, Executive's using it as leverage to discourage other suiters... On and on so we (the anxiously awaiting fans) absorb this stuff like a sponge and cling onto every "tidbit" of info that is "leaked". NJ looks to be the team with the best chance. They are willing to give Denver complete cap relief and every #1 they have in the process... Denver is pulling this stunt to nudge NJ to pull the trigger on this ABSURDLY one sided deal. NJ will be without a #1 draft pick for years, they will be capped out for years and they will have a roster of players past their prime (Billups, Hamilton and Harrington) that they will be stuck with.
God speed NJ, you think people would learn from the mistakes of the past but.... Just look at what Minnesota did for Dallas with the Hershel Walker trade... Enough said!
I'm not angry at Denver for this, they have the right to get as much as they can and if they aski for the world and a team is willing to give it to them.... All the power to them!

We agree on something. I dont understand the Nets philosophy in making such a one sided deal. They'd be better off trading a draft pick for OJ Mayo and building around a core of Mayo, Favors and Lopez. Then as players become free agents they could add a significant piece if they need to. This deal hurts them more than helps them...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
what melo needs to know is that the knicks would love to get em, as we have been trying to involve ourselves in talks since training camp. however, he has to look at his own GM and president as to why were having lack of negotiations. i do believe we end up with melo at the end of all this and it'll be a 3 team trade i dont see him lasting till free agency cause if that happens the nuggets will go down as the dumbest organization ever

Walsh is just chillin in the background and waiting to jump in and rape em

moneyg

Starter
Using the Knicks in every way possible

Its not secret Denver's pride has gotten in the way of any deal to NY.. buz they dont want to give melo what he wants.. it would look bad..

not only are the using us by pushing up the price for melo against NJ and other

they using it as a threat as well to pull back.. im not shocked...

its like 10 year olds...

"shut up or I wont play with you no more"

The simple fact is Denver created this situation.. I blame them..

From the moment Melo turned down the extension...they know they had a problem...

Melo has been a complete gentleman... and doenst have to sign an extension...if he doesnt want...

there wasnt this backlash againt Lebron last years when he was opting out....

cleveland played it out and lost.. now denver doesnt want to lose, so they are being forced to settle on trade to get something of value

of course, Dumars doenst want to see melo on the Knicks.. he rather see the competion spread out as they looks to rebuild detroit.

i think the reason what Melo wants a sit down with them is to say ..."Hey im not signing an extension with this type of roster im hearing via trade.."

if tells them NY or nobody.. they would look into the rental option with other clubs...

i think Melo.. if he hasnt done it already.... should just say..

NY or Bust...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
money talks..

Honestly, I think Melo just wants to get paid, be traded to a decent team (not horrible) and pls his wife.

I think he wants to be done w all of this craziness.

Imo this deal w NJ wouldn't have gotten this far if Melo'a agents did not have consent from him.

Yes he wants to play for the Knicks.

Yes most of us want him to play for the Knicks.

But there are other very important factors at play. Namely, Melo's financial security and being on the east coast for his wife. Unfortunately for Knicks fans, I think playing for our team comes secondary to those things.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Honestly, I think Melo just wants to get paid, be traded to a decent team (not horrible) and pls his wife.

Imo this deal w NJ wouldn't have gotten this far if Melo'a agents did not have consent from him.

But there are other very important factors at play. Namely, Melo's financial security and being on the east coast for his wife. Unfortunately for Knicks fans, I think playing for our team comes secondary to those things.

I don't know if I agree with all of this. Melo still has until Feb 24th to make his decision....so why would he choose to go to a depleted Nets team when we're no even close to January 24th yet?

His financial situation will not improve or worsen between now and the trade deadline, so why would he give in and go to a team that doesn't have Amar'e, a month and a half before the trade deadline? Sure NJ can still trade for him without an extension (which there is no indication that they will do so) but that would be even more foolish than this supposed, proposed, trade that was "real close" and "48 hours away" that is now looking to be pretty iffy at best.

Melo's been playing his cards the right way this entire time, I don't see why he would panic now and go to the Nets. It doesn't make sense under any circumstances.

iSaYughh

Starter

And Melo walks to be a Jersey Boyyyyy. Could be the hard pill we have to swallow.

It's tough to say what kind of cba info Melo is privy too.

But DEN has so much to lose and has so much to conversely gain by trading him. They essentially must.

If Melo says NYC or bust. It's a risk. A powermove. But I don't see how he or his ppl think DEN won't then have to trade him to NY, when all is said and done.

DEN has the ultimate, final move. Will they really harpoon themselves after all the cards get laid on the table and the move is clear and unequivocally theirs. They and they alone would have to act.

Have Melo and their team play out a lame duck season, and lose Melo to NYC and we dominate.

Or suck it up and get a good deal that'l help them lick their wounds, avoid a pr and rebuild apocalypse.

moneyg

Starter
i think melo would go to the nets if they added better pieces.. i just dont see this happening with billups and rip..

Melo said it with his own word that he doenst want billups to leave denver..
and billups would take a buy out...

i see the Nets try to get other players involved to satisfy melo..

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I don't know if I agree with all of this. Melo still has until Feb 24th to make his decision....so why would he choose to go to a depleted Nets team when we're no even close to January 24th yet?

His financial situation will not improve or worsen between now and the trade deadline, so why would he give in and go to a team that doesn't have Amar'e, a month and a half before the trade deadline? Sure NJ can still trade for him without an extension (which there is no indication that they will do so) but that would be even more foolish than this supposed, proposed, trade that was "real close" and "48 hours away" that is now looking to be pretty iffy at best.

Melo's been playing his cards the right way this entire time, I don't see why he would panic now and go to the Nets. It doesn't make sense under any circumstances.

Because he wants to get paid ASAP by a team on the east coast because of the impending CBA and his wife. What's the difference between being traded now and around the deadline? The quicker he's moved, the quicker he'll have the assurance he'll be able to accomplish those two goals. I don't think he relishes the threat/possibility of taking less than he's worth.. Too many people down play these factors. His wife is prolly in his ear almost every day, asking him when there moving.

These are powerful influences that might just trump his love for the Knicks and his desire to play here.

Also..

He knows the Nuggets want to deal w NJ, primarily.

He knows the Knicks would have to give up too much to get him via trade.

And, he knows Denver doesn't like our stuff.

Considering all of the (try to put your Knicks fanatic-craziness aside) above, what would you guys do?

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Because he wants to get paid ASAP by a team on the east coast because of the impending CBA and his wife. What's the difference between being traded now and around the deadline? The quicker he's moved, the quicker he'll have the assurance he'll be able to accomplish those two goals. I don't think he relishes the threat/possibility of taking less than he's worth.. Too many people down play these factors. His wife is prolly in his ear almost every day, asking him when there moving.

These are powerful influences that might just trump his love for the Knicks and his desire to play here.

Also..

He knows the Nuggets want to deal w NJ, primarily.

He knows the Knicks would have to give up too much to get him via trade.

And, he knows Denver doesn't like our stuff.

Considering all of the (try to put your Knicks fanatic-craziness aside) above, what would you guys do?

Yea...ASAP to Melo is this season while he and his Bird Rights can still be acquired by another team. And if it was all about the money then he accepts the trade and signs the extension for the Denver, NJ, Utah, Charlotte trade back before the season began, he also doesn't have a look of despair on his face when he's falsely told that's he traded to NJ by a reporter back in December.

I get what you're saying and you would totally be right....if everything that Melo has done since June says you're wrong.

The Carmelo Anthony market isn't gonna simply dry up and cease to exist after the second week of January, so the whole "he wants to move ASAP" argument really doesn't mean anything. His concern is his Bird Rights which allows the extension for either his current team or the one he's traded to, to exceed the cap to extend his contract....he has 44 days to wait this out and see if he can get what he wants...I'm not saying it will go the full 44, but I don't see him going to the Nets now, if at all.

You don't play your cards as intelligently as he has since June when the extension was offered, only to follow Ronorania's thought process in early January.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
We agree on something. I dont understand the Nets philosophy in making such a one sided deal. They'd be better off trading a draft pick for OJ Mayo and building around a core of Mayo, Favors and Lopez. Then as players become free agents they could add a significant piece if they need to. This deal hurts them more than helps them...

Glad to see we finally agree on something.....:beer:

From what I was reading today Denver is looking into flipping one of those 250 draft picks to Portland for Batum... What I don't understand and maybe I am missing something but is Batum any better than Chandler???
Again, there is this weird perception that Favors is better than Fields even though Fields has grasped the NBA game better, is holding his own with super stars and Favors looks LOST! Hell, at least with Randolph they know exactly what his abilities are plus there is still a potential there to be cultivated.... Favors is still a total mystery! And now Batum is much more desirable than Chandler, has more value??? I'm totally lost with these GMs!!!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
nah my dude..

Yea...ASAP to Melo is this season while he and his Bird Rights can still be acquired by another team. And if it was all about the money then he accepts the trade and signs the extension for the Denver, NJ, Utah, Charlotte trade back before the season began, he also doesn't have a look of despair on his face when he's falsely told that's he traded to NJ by a reporter back in December.

I get what you're saying and you would totally be right....if everything that Melo has done since June says you're wrong.

The Carmelo Anthony market isn't gonna simply dry up and cease to exist after the second week of January, so the whole "he wants to move ASAP" argument really doesn't mean anything. His concern is his Bird Rights which allows the extension for either his current team or the one he's traded to, to exceed the cap to extend his contract....he has 44 days to wait this out and see if he can get what he wants...I'm not saying it will go the full 44, but I don't see him going to the Nets now, if at all.

You don't play your cards as intelligently as he has since June when the extension was offered, only to follow Ronorania's thought process in early January.

Melo is a man caught in the in the middle of a potential sh*t storm, w a clear path out of it --NJ. Lebron got destroyed by the same type of storm. So did Cleveland. I think both parties in this new deal are looking for the easier, softer way out of the collective muck.

Melo hasn't done anything but tried not to become the villain. He's been saying all the right things.

Did you read my post. What about his wife and her wanting to move to the east coast? That doesn't factor in at all in your mind huh? Don't you know how influential wives can be?? Be objective Knuckles.

Okay so he doesn't want to play for Denver and he wants to come to the Knicks. Great. But to get here he might have to wait til the season ends to sign. But the new CBA might fack up his money then. That's gotta weigh heavy on his mind dontcha think?

Also, I don't see Denver trading w us to get him as they've already devalued our talent. They've basically said, "we don't want what you have" and then proceeded, it seems, to ignore Donnie's calls. It doesn't seem like Denver wants to deal w us. You think they then would turn around if Melo refuses a trade to NJ and take what they've clearly stated they don't like and don't want??

To top it off, if Melo refuses a trade he looks bad. HE THEN LOOKS LIKE THE GUY WHO WON'T TAKE MILLIONS FROM DENVER, but then can't be satisfied w a deal to NJ for millions -- a premadona they'd call him.. People would call him Melodona, Melodrama, lol.

Or the easier, softer way; he could just sign w NJ, a playoff team and burgeoning contender w him, and agree to sign an extension before the the threat of said CBA. He then kills two birds w one stone-- NJ. He satisfies his wife's and his need to get out of Denver AND he'd get what he's worth now before the new CBA changes what he's worth.

Granted, this is my own logical synopsis of what I see happening. I may be completely wrong. And, I would love to have Melo on the Knicks. I've really warmed up to the idea over the last few months frankly. But real world factors play a part and I'm not going to be so diluted as to think it will be a cake walk for him to land at MSG. If he refuses to sign w NJ, it would be f-ing difficult and would start the aforementioned sh*tstorm IMO. Real talk. :gony:

Last edited:

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Stan Kronke is a sob. That is the bottom line. He is an arrogant sob whose pride won't let a player get the kind of power to say I want this and then make it happen.

This is why we don't have a chance unless Melo comes in the summer.