Nuggets Want To Deal Carmelo To Nets, Kings Or Wolves

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I've already acknowledged Melo's power in this. But you refuse to acknowledge Denver's power...at all. Denver doesn't have to trade him. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? I keep asking you this, but you never respond, you keep saying the same thing over and over.
We're either getting him on the extreme cheap, getting him as an FA next year, or not getting him at all.

I don't know if you understand how leverage works...but all I'm saying is this. If Carmelo Anthony is to be traded to the New York Knicks, it will be under the terms of the New York Knicks. They only trade him here as a last ditch effort to get some compensation. If they don't like our offer, they let him walk. If he doesn't have his heart set on the Knicks then he green lights a trade to another team. If they feel that they absolutely have to get compensation and Melo won't sign the extension for any other team...and the Nuggets feel as if they have to give into the Knicks demands to get anything they can for the face of their franchise...we keep Gallo and Randolph and still trade for him.

I agree that Denver doesn't have to trade him. But if they see he's willing to block every trade except to the team he wants to go to, or he walks, and they don't want him to walk, they have two choices: trade him to said team or watch him walk...neither of which they want to do. How that suddenly equals leverage for them when we can still get him as a FA and at the end of the day they still don't have Melo, is crazy.

Being able to not trade him, only to lose him anyway isn't leverage, it's spite. Being able to say "hey, look, he's blocking every trade and it's obvious where he wants to go and it's equally obvious you don't want to lose him for nothing in return, so just take this deal" is leverage. But the only way that happens is obviously if Melo starts blocking trades until it's down to one team, in other words, a lot has to happen for that situation to come about. But they can obviously still be spiteful and not trade him...and watch him walk.

And he hasn't been traded yet because there hasn't been any official offers yet. Nothing is under way. All Denver did is say "we'd like to trade him to one of these three teams because we like what we see on their rosters." None of those teams have said anything yet.

If that situation happens and it allows us to trade for Melo, it will be on our terms or we wait, because at that point he's already shunned other teams and he's pointing his finger at the team he wants to go to. At which point there is no one left to outbid...that equals us either telling Denver who they have to accept or he's going to walk. If one of Denver's three preferred teams are willing to trade for Melo and he's willing to go there, the Knicks will never get an offer in. We only get to submit an offer that Denver pays attention to if Melo says "trade me there or lose me next year" and the trade is only considered and/or happens if Denver says "we can't lose you next year for nothing."

So once again, why would both Gallo and Randolph be involved in a deal?

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
That's true, but does Denver want that kind of attention during the season. Remember how bad it was with Marbury's situation and how bad that made us look even though Marbury was an idiot. Now Steph wanted to play for his team true. But it came to a point that the Knicks took their sweet time buying steph out or trading him.

If it gets so bad between the two will the Nuggets play him. If he doesn't play why would they waste $17 mil on a player who's not playing.

Secondly I think this is all put in motion in preparation for the new CBA. Melo's camp wants to take a proactive approach. If the CBA is not that bad, Melo will walk, If its terrible then he really has a dilemma.

The point is that Denver doesn't have to accept what the Knicks offer, if they don't like it. Even if Melo demands he is traded to the Knicks and only the Knicks. It's a business. They are not going to fall over and do whatever Melo demands. They'll do what's in the best interest of the Nuggets, regardless of Melo's demands.

They will play hard ball because they know Melo wants to avoid free agency with the new CBA. This is a bargaining chip for Denver = power. Which is what I've been arguing since the beginning of this ridiculous debate. Denver has more power than people here want to admit because they are living in the fantasy that Melo will be a Knick and we won't have to give up much to get him. Plain and simple.

Essentailly two things will happen. Melo will go somewhere else because that team made the better offer to Denver. Or we offer the best package to Denver to get Melo. It's that simple.

Melo will not demand just the Knicks and we just offer Chandler, Curry, a 2014 pick + scraps and Denver obeys. That is idiotic and naive to think that will happen.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't know if you understand how leverage works...but all I'm saying is this. If Carmelo Anthony is to be traded to the New York Knicks, it will be under the terms of the New York Knicks. They only trade him here as a last ditch effort to get some compensation. If they don't like our offer, they let him walk. If he doesn't have his heart set on the Knicks then he green lights a trade to another team. If they feel that they absolutely have to get compensation and Melo won't sign the extension for any other team...and the Nuggets feel as if they have to give into the Knicks demands to get anything they can for the face of their franchise...we keep Gallo and Randolph and still trade for him.

I agree with everything except the last part. This is where we disagree. See above post.

*Edit* Trading Melo for Chandler, Curry, 2014 pick and scraps does not save the face of the franchise. That is an insult to the franchise.

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
don't know if it will work like that but

I agree with everything except the last part. This is where we disagree. See above post.

*Edit* Trading Melo for Chandler, Curry, 2014 pick and scraps does not save the face of the franchise. That is an insult to the franchise.
I can't see the knicks being that lucky, It all hinges if Carmelo Anthony wants to be a Knick and How badly. this will work only if carmelo refuses the other teams. Carmelo controlls all the leverage. He alone can control where he goes. I hope he really wants to be a knick, not like lebron,wade or bosh.
If denver asks to much, knicks can walk away hoping to get him as free agent if he doesn't sign back with denver or another team in a trade.

Blumatic

Rotation player
The point is that Denver doesn't have to accept what the Knicks offer, if they don't like it. Even if Melo demands he is traded to the Knicks and only the Knicks. It's a business. They are not going to fall over and do whatever Melo demands. They'll do what's in the best interest of the Nuggets, regardless of Melo's demands.

They will play hard ball because they know Melo wants to avoid free agency with the new CBA. This is a bargaining chip for Denver = power. Which is what I've been arguing since the beginning of this ridiculous debate. Denver has more power than people here want to admit because they are living in the fantasy that Melo will be a Knick and we won't have to give up much to get him. Plain and simple.

Essentailly two things will happen. Melo will go somewhere else because that team made the better offer to Denver. Or we offer the best package to Denver to get Melo. It's that simple.

Melo will not demand just the Knicks and we just offer Chandler, Curry, a 2014 pick + scraps and Denver obeys. That is idiotic and naive to think that will happen.

I really don't think teams will win in this situation. Players always seem to win I think.