Legend
:update:
<HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
loser.gif
cry.gif
angry.gif
puke.gif
loser.gif
Isiah Thomas just cut one of the best peremeter shooters that came out of this June's draft Demetris Nicholes.
Demetris Nicholes would have been the Rookie that would have broken into the Knicks rotation quick this season, because of his speed and great outside shooting percentage. The Knicks would have been able to at least match up with their oponents peremeter shooting with D-Nichs on this team.

The Knicks have not been getting anywhere with Marbury, Crawford, and Q.Richardson Poor Peremeter shooting for two seasons. And now adding Fred Jones rather than a player like D-Nich whom had great chemistry alongside of "Nate & Balkman" the two prime players that add a deep depth to this team seems like Isiah Thomas Best interest is not in the Knicks.

It would have been nice to see Zach, Nate, and D-Nich, out on the peremeter WINNING alot of games for this Knick-Team this season.

The Toronto Rapters will do fine this season because they have a roster load of pure peremeter shooters that will always keep them in each game.
Only if Isiah Thomas could think that way about this Knick Team.
I do not see Isiah Thomas Pet Players "Marbury, Crawford, Jefferies, and Jones" giving this Knick-Team the "LIFT" it need in alot of games this season. Maybe you do, but I dont.
Any Comments???

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
My Thoughts:

I've already commented on the Nichols situation in other threads and I have no problems continuing to do so. I agree with Kiyaman in regards to the Knicks keeping Nichols. Though I may differ with him on the role that he would play on the 2007-2008 team. They way I saw it, he would have been the 9th or 10th man off the bench this season, coming into the game to give some much needed scoring or if they were down by a few points coming in and seeing if he could throw down a few threes. Unlike Kiyaman, I do disagree with Nate Robinson's role. That is not to say I have not been impressed by Nate in the summer or during this Preseason, but in all honesty, can you say Nate Robinson and Crawford are not the same type of player? and with that said, given how Crawford ended his last season and how Nate is doing so far this season, do you think Nate is really doing better than Crawford? It is for this reason why i'm not high on Nate, for the reason that he does not address the NEED that the Knicks have. Nichols on the other hand did.

I would also like to say, Zeke needs to get off his own Dick in regards to Jones. Listen, I know we don't see practice and all that, but from the games that all of us did see, from this preseason and from the summer league. Can one honestly say that D-Nich could not play defense? Can anyone honestly say he did not have a better offensive game than Jones? It is those two criteria and others why I believe Nichols should still be on the team, and personally, I think @ this point, he has shown more than Chandler.

Nichols was a second round pick, last years 42nd overall pick was second round pick Daniel Gibson, he was paid a little over 400,000. That would mean, Nichols would have gotten around or below that number, clearly not enough to break the bank that is MSG. Q-Rich & Robinson are arguably the Knicks best 3 shooters, but no one would confuse them as natural shooters like Houston, Ray Allen or folks like that Nichols had that ability. In a few years, I can only hope that this decision doesn't come back to haunt us.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Just because Nichols was cut doesn't mean the season will be a failure. Although Jones isn't the shooter that Nichols is, he's a seasoned veteran and can play. I think Nate, Steph, JC and Q will make enough perimeter shots to keep us in most games. The team's main concern is defense anyway, not another big scorer.

I really like D-Nich but i'm not worried about it dramatically affecting the season.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Just because Nichols was cut doesn't mean the season will be a failure. Although Jones isn't the shooter that Nichols is, he's a seasoned veteran and can play. I think Nate, Steph, JC and Q will make enough perimeter shots to keep us in most games. The team's main concern is defense anyway, not another big scorer.

I really like D-Nich but i'm not worried about it dramatically affecting the season.

I agree, in regards to this season, I don't believe that his departure will affect the Knicks tremendously, but I just think his caliber of player is something that the Knicks could have ussed in certain games this season, and definitely in the future. Who knows what's going to happen in the future, he might be playing for the D League for the rest of his career or go play with that Israel team... but if that doesn't happen, and he catches on with a NBA team, and becomes a star, man is that shit gonna hurt

GetRealistic

Starter
Get over it guys. Nichols is gone. Anybody who was under the delusion he was going to make the team needs to get examined. He's a very nice player, but basketball is a business and a numbers game. We have numerous other guards with guaranteed contracts. Isiah gave Nichols the opportunity to play in Europe for a season (something i hear Jared Jordan i doing) but Nichols passed.

Marbury, Crawford, Q, Nate, and Jones aren't the greatest outside combination in the league but they are far from the wost. If Eddy and Zach do there job the jumpers should be wide open.

I agree Nichols shows great promise but a bunch of posters make him out to be the next Ray Allen. A good summer league and some garbage minutes in the pre season don't mean that much.

Lastly don't say we should have cut James to keep Nichols. Because its not that simple guys. Everybody in the world knows that James is an awful signing and an awful player but were stuck with him. He's owed 18 million dollars in guaranteed money. And i hate Dolan to but would any of you buyout 18 million for Nichols who if he was on the team would rarely even dress.

I say good luck to Nichols, hopefully hell go sign somewhere out West so he can't hurt us to much if he becomes good.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Get over it guys. Nichols is gone. Anybody who was under the delusion he was going to make the team needs to get examined. He's a very nice player, but basketball is a business and a numbers game. We have numerous other guards with guaranteed contracts. Isiah gave Nichols the opportunity to play in Europe for a season (something i hear Jared Jordan i doing) but Nichols passed.

Marbury, Crawford, Q, Nate, and Jones aren't the greatest outside combination in the league but they are far from the wost. If Eddy and Zach do there job the jumpers should be wide open.

I agree Nichols shows great promise but a bunch of posters make him out to be the next Ray Allen. A good summer league and some garbage minutes in the pre season don't mean that much.

Lastly don't say we should have cut James to keep Nichols. Because its not that simple guys. Everybody in the world knows that James is an awful signing and an awful player but were stuck with him. He's owed 18 million dollars in guaranteed money. And i hate Dolan to but would any of you buyout 18 million for Nichols who if he was on the team would rarely even dress.

I say good luck to Nichols, hopefully hell go sign somewhere out West so he can't hurt us to much if he becomes good.

Best post up here. I'm not sure how Nicholas is measured. He didn't get any real minutes and I don't think any of us so his practices. Why assume that we lost something? As far as I'm concerned Knicks fans showed how much they don't know when they booed the Balkman draft last year. How is this any different? May be Nicholas was a bum in practices. Who knows? Was he really going to get enough minutes to make a difference any way? Have you guys counted the guards on this team?

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I for one am a knick fan who liked Nichols. I do not have any fantasies about him being the next ray allen or allen houston or anyone along those lines. The reasons I have stated the Knicks should have kept Nichols are plain and I think simple. he posses a Need that the Knicks.. well NEED. He is a pure shooter who can knock down an open J. point blank. I agree we were not privy to the practices, but we were to summer league and pre season, and his college career and from what coaches and announcers said about him.
I also agree that it was a mistake on his part not to accept the european deal, which would have kept him under contract so to speak for another year, but the question needs to be asked, in another year, will the Knicks have another perimeter shooter as good as Nichols. A pure shooter is a pure shooter anyway you look at it. None of the guards that the Knicks have now is a pure shooter. and when you're offense is geared around pounding the ball inside to Curry and/or Randolph, a pure shooter is defnitely a good asset to have. And to answer your question Donchris... I have couned the guards on the team, and as stated b4, after counting them I see none are pure shooters who can consistantly knock down an open jumper. that's just the way it is. Nichols may have been over rated by some(who think he is definitely going to be a superstar), however i do not believe that his Jump Shot was over rated, and in the end, as I stated, a Pure Shooter is a NEED, that the Knicks have not addressed.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Best post up here. I'm not sure how Nicholas is measured. He didn't get any real minutes and I don't think any of us so his practices. Why assume that we lost something? As far as I'm concerned Knicks fans showed how much they don't know when they booed the Balkman draft last year. How is this any different? May be Nicholas was a bum in practices. Who knows? Was he really going to get enough minutes to make a difference any way? Have you guys counted the guards on this team?
Trust me, Nichols should look at this as a good thing. #1 he wouldn't have gotten much playing time anyway. #2 if we were to make a trade or buy out a contract to keep him the pressure on his back would be huge. Even though he would of been making somewhere in the 300,000+ range, he really would have been worth millions in buyout money.

The moment he didn't live up to the expectations, he would've gotten murdered by the NY press.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Nichols may have been over rated by some(who think he is definitely going to be a superstar), however i do not believe that his Jump Shot was over rated, and in the end, as I stated, a Pure Shooter is a NEED, that the Knicks have not addressed.[/quote]

Definitely agree.

metrocard

Legend
Perimeter defense, passing, post defense, shot blocking can be looked as bigger needs for the Knicks.

But you could never have enough shooting.

A lot of good players got waived this preseason, the amount of talent in the NBA is insane.

nykway24

Rookie
Nichols is overrated.

i agree with metro. i think that nichols is going to be a great player in the nba no doubt but some of u guys are taking it alil overboard acting like we just cut the savoir of the team. nichols shot is fantastic and i wanted him to stay on the team but hey hes not anymore and we have to look forward. i jus wish we would have bought out jerome james' worthless self and kept nichols.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
any1 notice Marbury been kinda reluctant to pull the trigger from 3?...he's been open plenty

he's always been like dat, he not a spot up shooter, he shoots better off the dribble, especially when he in da corner, seems like he never hits the rim when he shoots from there

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
Damn Dolan dosnt make any since

1 James will not play this year and probably wont play next year buying him out and adding about 400,000 wasnt gonna hurt him much because you know what James wont be playing anyway. Second Fred could have been cut too cause his defense isnt all that and Nics D wasnt as bad as he clamed it to be. Isiah wasnt going to keep him anyway only because he didnt go to Europe like was agreed. And the Garbage minutes recieved in the preseaon was do to the fact Isiah didnt want to show the fans what he was getting rid of until the other game he scored 10 points in 10 minutes Pure shooting thats whats up. OH well we dont have him Isiah shouldnt be thinking about favs he should be trying to think about the team not who he wants to invite over for dinner

:gony:

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I agree that we have unconsistant shooters, but I think we need all around defense more then perimeter shooters. We can get down low points, and mid range points off of Randolph, and Curry.

By the way did you see the way Q was scoring from the perimeter. He is one of our best perimeter scorers along with Nate Robinson (even though he might be unconsistant some nights). I think Nate might be one of the most improved players for the 07-08 season. By the way he was training this offseason. He watched Steve Nash, and Baron Davis highlights almost the whole offseason, he got some attributes from them and made it his own. I want to see Nate get some big minutes this season.

I agree that we should have baught out J.James also. He's going to have surgery, do some half-asses rehab for the rest of this year and probably next year, collect the rest of his money untill his contract runs out(and never suit up) and then travel the world with all the money he's stolen from the knicks and never be seen again. We should have swallowed our pride (Mr.Dolan) and forked out the extra cash to ship this loser out and use his spot on the bench for a kid that showed he could have atleast an impact on the practice floor if he didn't get any playing time. J.James can't even give you a body for practice for gods sake!