Derek Fisher Finalizing Deal With Knicks

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
From all the teams he's been on what players did he greatly impact as he played alongside them?
What about Phil Jackson before he became a coach?

Walt Frazier on did Phil ever come off as being a future coach: "No."

I understand some of your opinions, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but this organization seems to be on the road to a much brighter culture. None of us know, but I see no reason to be so down on this. Remember, Phil might be teaching Fisher a LOT, and the only reason he might not be doing it himself is because he's not physically up to it.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I think this is a wait and see hire. No experience is a little scary, but I am glad to see the brotha get an opportunity:) Kiya laid out a lot of favorable evidence and I like the "player-coach idea" with our league worst PG play Fish could compete with our "starter" lol:) I also like the dicipline idea as poor Woody was too much of a players coach and the inmates(JR,Felton,Tyson) cost Woody his job. I think this team will at least compete on a nightly basis because Fish will demand it instead of losing to so many sub .500 teams that you become one. Gotta start by handling business against the bums because you are what your record says you are during an 82 game marathon. I'm not dancing down the aisle, but let's give it a chance as we have had much worse(Damnphony, Isiah). One thing for sure this hire will definitely define Phil's front office career.

tiger0330

Legend
I think this is a wait and see hire. No experience is a little scary, but I am glad to see the brotha get an opportunity:) Kiya laid out a lot of favorable evidence and I like the "player-coach idea" with our league worst PG play Fish could compete with our "starter" lol:) I also like the dicipline idea as poor Woody was too much of a players coach and the inmates(JR,Felton,Tyson) cost Woody his job. I think this team will at least compete on a nightly basis because Fish will demand it instead of losing to so many sub .500 teams that you become one. Gotta start by handling business against the bums because you are what your record says you are during an 82 game marathon. I'm not dancing down the aisle, but let's give it a chance as we have had much worse(Damnphony, Isiah). One thing for sure this hire will definitely define Phil's front office career.
WAIT AND SEE not just with DFish but with PJ too. Dolan spent a lot of money with those 2, Phil has to be the highest paid exec ever in the history of the NBA and we're paying a rookie head coach more than we paid Woody. It's a major gamble and so far PJ has only shown me that he can spend Dolan's money. The last guy I remember doing that was Isiah Thomas who also didn't mind spending Dolans money on dubious contracts and players.

DFish talked a good game at his presser now he has to deliver. What I'm looking for next season is to see if he can overachieve with this roster, they showed they have the ability to win at the end of the season so let him build on that.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Well,there's one thing I gotta give Fisher credit for, he's a great talker. His speech during the presser? Pretty impressive and motivational.

Broadway

All Star
WAIT AND SEE not just with DFish but with PJ too. Dolan spent a lot of money with those 2, Phil has to be the highest paid exec ever in the history of the NBA and we're paying a rookie head coach more than we paid Woody. It's a major gamble and so far PJ has only shown me that he can spend Dolan's money. The last guy I remember doing that was Isiah Thomas who also didn't mind spending Dolans money on dubious contracts and players.

DFish talked a good game at his presser now he has to deliver. What I'm looking for next season is to see if he can overachieve with this roster, they showed they have the ability to win at the end of the season so let him build on that.

I could care less about his talking game, I'm sure Kerr's, SVG,'s did and any other coach hired this off-season will have Bryan Adams type speeches

The problem with winning at the end of the season it was primarily against a cupcake schedule but Sixers/Bucks/Cavs/Orlando/Boston are going to be vastly improved teams. The Field Fish is coaching against is on an upward trend while we are not

Let's look at the picks from these teams alone just in this draft

Cavs Pick
#1 #33

Orlando Picks
#4 #12

Bucks Picks
#2 #31 #36 #48

Sixers Picks
#3 #10 #32 #39 #47 #52 #54....probably should throw in additionally Nerlens Noel as he didn't play 1 lick last year)

Boston Picks
#6 #17

Then you have these teams who have 3 picks at least

Toronto
#20 #37 #59

Bulls
#16 #19 #49

Charlotte
#9 #24 #45

Guess what most of these teams have cap space right now and potentially in 2015. Oh and most of those teams have players teams covet so they can make trades to improve. If we say well no one has any idea how good those players will be at positions drafted, while this may be true let's play the simple game of odds here...

There are 26 picks total from just those 8 Eastern Conference teams but there are only 60 picks in the draft and there are several other teams who hold multiple picks. Which means the pool of teams in the draft is shrunk less by the 30 in total across the league. This means those 8 teams stand a significant chance to get 1 if not 2 major impact players on their team, changing not only the course of their franchise but the landscape of the conference. We play 52gms against the East and 30 games against the West. We went 26-26 this past season probably when the conference was at it's weakest.

And going back to the unknown talent at those picks well let's say a team is just as unsure or wants to use their other options such these scenarios currently being discussed...

Bulls talking to Nuggets to trade picks 16 and 19 for pick 11

Bulls flipping pick 11 to Wolves for possibly Kevin Love

Sixers talking to Cavs to trade Thaddeus Young and pick 3 for pick 1

Kings trading pick 8 to Bucks for Brandon Knight and Dennis Shroeder

All of this is just speculation at this point but there are simply far better options and flexibility with other franchises right now in comparison to ours to improve. The route we should take is somewhat similar to what Philly decided to do this past season. Start dumping dudes for as many picks you can get and be an absolute savage franchise come 2015 draft.

Kiyaman

Legend
From all the teams he's been on what players did he greatly impact as he played alongside them?

That remark shows how clueless u r of Derek Fisher 17 yr career in the NBA.

Derek Fisher are the main reason the OKC Thunder played 600 b.ball for 3 months without Westbrook.

The season after the 2006-7 Lakers (42-40 record) got blown out of the first round in 5 games.
The same Lakers roster with just the addition of Derek Fisher in 2007-8 had a 35-17 record at the February deadline when the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol.

P.S.
I believe Phil Jackson goal were to hire Kerr as HC, and Fisher as the top assistant head-coach in June.
Who's the better HC out of the two? Fisher.
Who's the better GM/HC out of the two? Kerr.
Phil Jackson goal of building a "Dream-Team coaching-staff" for the Knicks 2015 offseason when the Knicks cap will be below $15M. And having HC/GM Steve Kerr evaluating the performance of each Knicks FA salary-worth throughout the 2014-15 season to resign or let go. That's a Great Master Plan!!!!

Broadway

All Star
That remark shows how clueless u r of Derek Fisher 17 yr career in the NBA.

Derek Fisher are the main reason the OKC Thunder played 600 b.ball for 3 months without Westbrook.

The season after the 2006-7 Lakers (42-40 record) got blown out of the first round in 5 games.
The same Lakers roster with just the addition of Derek Fisher in 2007-8 had a 35-17 record at the February deadline when the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol.

P.S.
I believe Phil Jackson goal were to hire Kerr as HC, and Fisher as the top assistant head-coach in June.
Who's the better HC out of the two? Fisher.
Who's the better GM/HC out of the two? Kerr.
Phil Jackson goal of building a "Dream-Team coaching-staff" for the Knicks 2015 offseason when the Knicks cap will be below $15M. And having HC/GM Steve Kerr evaluating the performance of each Knicks FA salary-worth throughout the 2014-15 season to resign or let go. That's a Great Master Plan!!!!

You couldn't have whiffed more with that statement. The Thunder maintained their status without Westrbook because of Durant's MVP campaign during that stretch and the play of Reggie Jackson

Not to mention....

You state Fisher's played 17yrs in the league, yet 1 of his 2 notable impacts was finally felt last season of career for a 3mos stretch<---------ROTFLMFAO @ You

Also why embellish it wasn't for 3mos either. It was for about a month and a half, sprinkled with some layoffs here and there throughout the year from WB's injury.

Then you try to ascribe all the Laker success to the addition of Fisher, while glossing over the fact of how huge Pau Gasol's addition was the same season? All of which has nothing to do with his coaching abilities btw.

The Lakers started out 26-15(41gms) during the 2006-2007 season without Fisher.... no major deadline trade(February came around and they took a major slide). They spent half the season 10-11gms over .500. Although this was the season Kobe thought it be a good idea if he shot 27fga/gm probably wore on the team as it dragged along. Who likes playing with ball hogs for 82gms straight?

The Lakers started out 27-14(41gms) during the 2007-2008 season with Fisher as what you call it the only significant addition to this point. As you can see the team's record wasn't different after 41gms half the season played. They went on to have a wonderful February. Probably nice to hear rumors of getting someone like Pau Gasol the same month what do you think?

Now if you were tell me Fisher had great influence on Jordan Farmar, Monta Ellis, Baron Davis, Russell Westbrook, Deron Williams okay but there's no evidence to suggest he did.

Go take a nap!!!!!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend

Good Point.
What peeps are not looking at is .................

The Knicks 2013-14 ($90M cap) roster under new management, and new coaching-staff of the famous "Zen" and a rookie HC Derek Fisher are already putting fear into over half the teams in the league.
If Jason Kidd could get a 54 win out of the Knicks roster, then what do u think Phil & Fisher can get out of the Knicks roster?

Hint: When Phil showed-up in New York in March, the Knicks had a 21-40 record, the Knicks went on a 16-5 run for Phil Jackson to end the season.
There will no longer be a "Puppet Woodson" with a one-play plan for 48 minutes a game "give the ball to ISO-Melo".
There will no longer be defensive-collapse on switches, or the no communication on court on offense/defense.
I hated the no communication on defense to watch Knicks guards run into hard-screens 2 or 3 times a game when defending quick guards, with Melo playing 45 minutes, JR playing 33 minutes, Tyson playing 33 minutes, and non of the trio ever warning their guard-teammate of the screen being set.
And Knicks fans wondered why Beno wanted a buy-out, and Shump yelling/screaming at JR, Melo, Tyson, and Puppet-Woodson, while refusing to talk or listen to any of them.

Broadway

All Star
Good Point.
What peeps are not looking at is .................

Hint: When Phil showed-up in New York in March, the Knicks had a 21-40 record, the Knicks went on a 16-5 run for Phil Jackson to end the season.

Didn't the Knicks finish the season 18-6 with Woodson after D'Antoni got fired? Came back had a 54win season, followed it up with a 37win season thus Woodson canned.

Lesson to learn here.....never place too much stock on how a team finishes a season in which they underperformed.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Didn't the Knicks finish the season 18-6 with Woodson after D'Antoni got fired? Came back had a 54win season, followed it up with a 37 win season thus Woodson canned.

Lesson to learn here.....never place too much stock on how a team finishes a season in which they underperformed.

There is a lesson.....Its called when you realize as a player there is a new regime coming in who will call the shots and all players would not be held accountable everything changes........

When Woody came in the players knew they hot gold......They had a new BFF and the Dantonio era was off their shoulders......BUT this is basketball and that u will only take u so far....Woody's BFF with a few of the players backfired and he lost the locker room and the Knicks were the most non united team ever.........

Melo now holds the keys to who he wants to be as a player.....He has Jackson/Fisher saying take less Money, Play the Triangle and do things OUR way and you will Championships.....Personally I do not think Melo is evolved enough or has the balls to follow the plan .......Melo for Love ?

skisloper

Starter
There is a lesson.....Its called when you realize as a player there is a new regime coming in who will call the shots and all players would not be held accountable everything changes........

When Woody came in the players knew they hot gold......They had a new BFF and the Dantonio era was off their shoulders......BUT this is basketball and that u will only take u so far....Woody's BFF with a few of the players backfired and he lost the locker room and the Knicks were the most non united team ever.........

Melo now holds the keys to who he wants to be as a player.....He has Jackson/Fisher saying take less Money, Play the Triangle and do things OUR way and you will Championships.....Personally I do not think Melo is evolved enough or has the balls to follow the plan .......Melo for Love ?

.Its called when you realize as a player there is a new regime coming in who will call the shots and all players WOULD BE held accountable everything changes. ( sorry for typo )

Broadway

All Star

Agreed if you're looking at it from current player perspective. The Writing Is On The Wall. As far as Melo for K-Love I'd prefer picks and expiring salary instead. I think K-Love is a somewhat flawed player when looked at closely. Don't get me wrong I like some of the things he brings to the table but I want a bare cupboards beginning.

Kiyaman

Legend
You couldn't have whiffed more with that statement. The Thunder maintained their status without Westrbook because of Durant's MVP campaign during that stretch and the play of Reggie Jackson

Not to mention....

You state Fisher's played 17yrs in the league, yet 1 of his 2 notable impacts was finally felt last season of career for a 3mos stretch<---------ROTFLMFAO @ You

Also why embellish it wasn't for 3mos either. It was for about a month and a half, sprinkled with some layoffs here and there throughout the year from WB's injury.

Then you try to ascribe all the Laker success to the addition of Fisher, while glossing over the fact of how huge Pau Gasol's addition was the same season? All of which has nothing to do with his coaching abilities btw.

The Lakers started out 26-15(41gms) during the 2006-2007 season without Fisher.... no major deadline trade(February came around and they took a major slide). They spent half the season 10-11gms over .500. Although this was the season Kobe thought it be a good idea if he shot 27fga/gm probably wore on the team as it dragged along. Who likes playing with ball hogs for 82gms straight?

The Lakers started out 27-14(41gms) during the 2007-2008 season with Fisher as what you call it the only significant addition to this point. As you can see the team's record wasn't different after 41gms half the season played. They went on to have a wonderful February. Probably nice to hear rumors of getting someone like Pau Gasol the same month what do you think?

Now if you were tell me Fisher had great influence on Jordan Farmar, Monta Ellis, Baron Davis, Russell Westbrook, Deron Williams okay but there's no evidence to suggest he did.

Go take a nap!!!!!!!!

Wow! G4
All I did was write the reason how a role-player (Derek Fisher) lasted 17 yrs in the NBA.
Fisher performance improve his teammates performance, not just on the court but off the court too.
There was a reason Fisher were selected to represent the players in the CBA negotiation.

skisloper

Starter
Agreed if you're looking at it from current player perspective. The Writing Is On The Wall. As far as Melo for K-Love I'd prefer picks and expiring salary instead. I think K-Love is a somewhat flawed player when looked at closely. Don't get me wrong I like some of the things he brings to the table but I want a bare cupboards beginning.

If we lose Melo and get draft picks God Bless....I just dont see that .......
to head into 2015 with all the cap space would be a dream come true....
I just cannot wait to have a real PG on this team....

Kiyaman

Legend
Didn't the Knicks finish the season 18-6 with Woodson after D'Antoni got fired? Came back had a 54win season, followed it up with a 37win season thus Woodson canned.

Giving Woodson credit for a 18-6 start as the Knicks interim HC are the same thing as giving D'Antoni all the credit for "LinSanity". I wonder who u give credit to for the Knicks one win in the 2012 postseason games? LMAO

It became official that "LinSanity" save the 2011-12 short season after a poor start of 8-15 record, plus HOF "Jason Kidd" leadership gave the Knicks 54 wins in 2012-13 season. FACT!

The Knicks 37 wins in 2013-14 season credit goes to the NBA "most minute played player" Carmelo Anthony isolation system. Puppet Woodson gave 100% trust in ISO-Melo decision-making to control the offense/defense throughout the 82 game season. The consequence for Woodson's action got him FIRED a week after the season end.
Puppet Woodson were FIRED for making the wrong decisions throughout the Knicks 61 games (21-40 record).
Phil Jackson started negotiating a contract with the Knicks the day after the Knicks 40th loss of the season.
The Knicks-players 16-5 run in the final 21 games of the season were all due to the hiring of the famous HOF "ZEN".....Fact or Fiction?

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by 3G4G View Post

I totally agree .. the Timberwolves performance under coach Adelman only improve 9 games better than the previous season with K.Love being the teams most minute played player. The best I could come-up with in a trade are K.Love for Bargani.
Melo's worth are good for the Bulls Gibson, and a first round pick.

If we lose Melo and get draft picks God Bless....I just dont see that .......
to head into 2015 with all the cap space would be a dream come true....
I just cannot wait to have a real PG on this team....

Phil Jackson first priority were the hire of a HC, Phil's 2nd priority are a veteran starter-PG.
Phil's 3rd priority are not Melo, it's the hiring of management-staff, and coaching-staff.
I too, cannot wait to see a confident PG on the Knicks....

Paul1355

All Star
as long as Fish puts his foot down and realizes players wont grow unless there is some real discipline....we are good

mafra

Legend
Derek Fisher is close to Kevin Durant. KD a free agent in 2 years. If Phil Jax builds the roster over this summer and next summer... and KD fails to win a title... we might have a shot.