VS
wilson_chandler--300x300.jpg

Who's better?

How are they better?

Who'll have the better career?

Who has the mental edge?

Who's the better athlete?

Who would you trade?

Who put the bop in the bop sha bop sha bop?

Danilo Gallinari
Height: 6"10
Weight: 225

Strengths:
- Creates mismatches at 6'10 on both ends.
- Triple threat .
- Drive + Focus.
- Goal oriented.
- Desire to win and to improve.
- Shooting - obviously.
- Ambidexterity.
- Passing game.
- Versatile through 3 positions - SG, SF, PF.
- Defensive savvy.

Weaknesses:

- Speed
- Quickness
- Explosion
- Reliance on 3s
- Shot selection
- Ignores his post game
- Doesn't utilise his height
- Occasionally stagnates ball movement

VS

Wilson Chandler
Height: 6"8
Weight: 220

Strengths:

- Fluidity
- Strength
- Amazing athlete
- Can defend bigger players and smaller players
- Finishes well on the break
- Help D
- Has he ever gotten a technical? Never thought of that.
- Willing to play a diminished role - does come down to desire though
- Enormous potential.

Weaknesses:

- Sporadic effort
- IQ
- DESIRE - the big killer
- Range
- Shooting off screens
- Shooting open jumpers
- Under achieving rebounder
- Focus - at times he looks lost. Is he just a bit dumb?
- Ceiling - Is this guy going to improve? Didn't improve anything bar FG% from 08/09 in to 09/10. Though marginal, his numbers in some categories even declined. Injury?
- Apparently the league's worst 'open catch and shoot player'. Random.

Last edited:

JayJ44

Starter
Great thread. I believe Gallo is better by a wide margin. Gallo can shoot, handle the ball, pass, drive to the basket, and is a decent defender. Chandler is a poor passer and ball handler, poor shooter. He can drive to the basket, but he gets to the hoop far less often than he should.

IMO, assuming no major injuries to either of them, Gallo will also have the better career. Chandler's game relies almost entirely on his athleticism. Once that goes, he'll really have nothing. Obviously a lot of things can change during the span of their careers. Maybe Chandler improves, but as of now, that's how I see it.

Once again, the mental edge has to go to Gallo. He has shown signs of being a leader and a playmaker. Chandler has always had questionable heart and seems to slack off a lot.

The better athlete is probably Chandler. I wouldn't say Gallo is nonathletic, but that's really Chandler main skill.

I would definitely trade Chandler if the right package came along. I wouldn't give him away for nothing, but I wouldn't mind parting with him if it meant we would get some nice pieces in return.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Gallinari for me. Always a fan of Chandler.

^

I entirely agree except that, as far as I see it, Chandler is the far superior athlete.

Gallo is a good defensive player.

The Euro generalisation. European's can't play D. That is utter BS.

Can't emphasise that enough. I so often hear Chandler being praised for his defence, when Gallo, on numerous occasions, has been the better defender of the 2 throughout an entire game. He's savvy, determined and relentless. It's not consistently there, but it's there and he's not daunted by anyone.

Gallo's skill set is better for the team.

Gallo's range opens up the entire half court offense not only for himself, but the entire team. He's a constant threat from the paint to the arc. Chandler is not. He's also a far better passer.

Felton's passing options got better over night. Career high assist total this year + most ever All Star votes. Thanks largely to Gallo and of course Amar'e.

Gallo's desire and drive ECLIPSE Chandler's. It's not even a competition. In the categories of:

-Drive
-Passion
-Desire
-Ethic

Gallo takes the cake.

An easy decision for me in the end.

danilo-gallinari-2010-1-3-20-40-21.jpg

GALLO.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Great Thread Gotta admit when I saw the title I was like "not again!" , but you put a nice spin on it with the strengths and weaknesses.

I think it is a little hard to compare the two players because they are pretty different and depending on what we need on a giving night one could fit better than the other.

But I have to say Gallo has the better overall game. I think neither is a go to player but rather a complimentary player, but Gallo experience as a go to player in Italy has made him more a vocal presence on the floor and I imagine that carries over to the locker room. Wilson not getting a tech yet can be deemed a lack of passion on his part and it shows on the court.

This
25gallinari.1.190.jpg

vs.

THAT

images

in terms of potential I have to agree that we have likely seen the best of Wilson Chandler it just doesnt seem as if his game is going to evolve into much more; You have to imagine Gallo will improve on areas of his game such as posting up and driving to the basket more.

I certainley like Wilson's shot selection much more than Gallo's but you have think that is going to improve with teams now going zero in on Gallo on the perimeter.

overall Advantage Gallo: Wilson is my favorite Knick but he is not better than Gallo.

Now here comes the curve ball.....who would I trade first......Gallo!

Reason being we would get more talent back for Gallo then Wilson. My thinking is that while Wilson is not as good as Gallo, he is a nice fill in for him if Gallo was traded. So imagine if we traded Gallo to fill a major need (Center or SG) and got an equally talented player at that postion back, then Wilson can fill in at the SF position. Plus we have Randolph who can also take Gallo's spot too and let Wilson slide to the SG further making Gallo the player I would trade first.

Confused.....let me explain.

Lets say we traded Gallo for Marc Gasol (yes I know this deal would never happen, but I needed a Center who is as good as Gallo)

Felton
Wilson
Randolph
Amare
Gasol (again not likely at all)

or say we trade Gallo for a SG, lets keep with the Grizzly theme and make it Mayo (again not likely)

Felton
Mayo
Wilson
Amare
Randolph (I love this kid already!)

In both scenerios we became a better overall team.

my point is that Gallo would be the first I trade because of the return we'd get for him plus we have two players who could fill the slot when he is gone. Wilson would only get us a late first rounder in a trade and it appears Randolph is somewhat untouchable at the moment, making Gallo our best available trade chip.

Plus I have to say it....I don't think we have seen the last of Gallo's back problems. So I would love for him not to be a Knick when that time comes....now I'm no back expert and he could indeed have gotten over that hump, but I am leary nonetheless.

Answer break down

Gallo is better

Because he has the bigger upside

Gallo will have a better career

Mental Edge Gallo because of his time as leader in Italy

Wilson is probably the better athlete

Gallo I would trade first for sure!!!!

and I put the Bop in Bop sha pop....I can prove it!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Now here comes the curve ball.....who would I trade first......Gallo!

Reason being we would get more talent back for Gallo then Wilson. My thinking is that while Wilson is not as good as Gallo, he is a nice fill in for him if Gallo was traded. So imagine if we traded Gallo to fill a major need (Center or SG) and got an equally talented player at that postion back, then Wilson can fill in at the SF position. Plus we have Randolph who can also take Gallo's spot too and let Wilson slide to the SG further making Gallo the player I would trade first.

Confused.....let me explain.

Lets say we traded Gallo for Marc Gasol (yes I know this deal would never happen, but I needed a Center who is as good as Gallo)

Felton
Wilson
Randolph
Amare
Gasol (again not likely at all)

or say we trade Gallo for a SG, lets keep with the Grizzly theme and make it Mayo (again not likely)

Felton
Mayo
Wilson
Amare
Randolph (I love this kid already!)

In both scenerios we became a better overall team.

my point is that Gallo would be the first I trade because of the return we'd get for him plus we have two players who could fill the slot when he is gone. Wilson would only get us a late first rounder in a trade and it appears Randolph is somewhat untouchable at the moment, making Gallo our best available trade chip.

Plus I have to say it....I don't think we have seen the last of Gallo's back problems. So I would love for him not to be a Knick when that time comes....now I'm no back expert and he could indeed have gotten over that hump, but I am leary nonetheless.

Answer break down

Gallo is better

Because he has the bigger upside

Gallo will have a better career

Mental Edge Gallo because of his time as leader in Italy

Wilson is probably the better athlete

Gallo I would trade first for sure!!!!

and I put the Bop in Bop sha pop....I can prove it!

Hmmm. That makes perfect sense, of course, to round out the team as fittingly as possible. Trade for need between 2 teams with 2 good players.

I think Chandler is still appealing to GMs around the league though - good role player with upside, youth and, most of all, he's cheap for what he brings:

$2.1M this season with a qualifying offer the following.

That's efficiency/cost/youth/expenditure all rolled in to one.

Of course, just like anything being retailed, it's all about marketing.

I wouldn't trade Gallo just yet.

Paul1355

All Star
What really sets Gallo apart from Chandler is his high IQ and shooting ability which Chandler has yet to posses

Chandler is much stronger, is a better finisher, better shot blocker and on ball defender.

But Chandler's outside shot is horrible to say the least, and he makes dumb moves every game, like step out of bounds.

Both players huge upside that can make them starers on any team.

Gallo at his peak is Dirk, Chandler at his peak can what Andre Iguadola is for team USA right now.

And honestly Gallo should be the one to keep.

If the Knicks offered Chandler for Rudy straight up, then it clearly tells you that Gallo is heavenly favored here.

Gallo learned certain things very quickly in one year, he improved on defense and developed a post game on offense.

Gallo has to drive to the hoop more and play his Euro style, once he can do that consistently then sky's the limit on this kid.

Chandler has to just use his strength to post up and slash, if he got a shot down then he would probably be the better all around player were Gallo would be the offensive threat.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Gallo is the easy choice.

He has the complete package @ 6'10''.

Gallo to me has the more diverse skill set. At the age of 20, it's easy to see that he has more savvy on both ends of the court. To me he has a higher upside than Chandler or AR. Gallo will be a more complete player then anybody we have on the Knicks. And, ofcourse I still think he'll be All-Star caliber.

Chandler is a role-player, plain and simple. He dribbles w one hand, can't even hit open shots, and relies on his athleticism. He doesn't have enough skeeiools on O. He's shown himself to be a pretty good defender tho, but so has Gallo.

Imho Gallo is simply better than Wilson.

Lovin that first Big C mix you posted Crazy 8's, the Premiere beat laced w AZ is tight.

Unless you have the oppo to get somebody like Paul you don't trade G-money.

:gony:

P.S. I feel like I've made this argument before, lol

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Gallinari or Anthony Randolph?

that is the real question

No, it's not.

That'll be the real question in April. Until now, Randolph's anyone's guess. It's sink or swim for him this season. He'll have to work himself in to a defined role. If he's unsuccessful, he'll become the tempting trade bait the Knicks will use to round out their roster.

No point comparing him to Gallo yet.

Kiyaman

Legend
Threads like this show favoritism over performance

This thread was just like the comparing of Kukoc vs Pippin
After Kukoc first season he was voted 5 to 1 over a versatile Pippin who
was force to replace Jordan at the SG spot.

Chandler's mental/physical Strengths at the SG/SF/PF positions is way
above Gallo's at all 3 positions. As a team-player it was clear as the
morning sun the better player was Wilson Chandler when Gallo was DNP for
a game, and the Knicks went on a 4 game win streak with Chandler at the
3 spot.

After reading the KO members decision on this thread from Crazy-8
summation of Gallo over Chandler makes me want to puke on this thread.

Now, I do wish Walsh make the trade with Portland for Rudy giving up Wilson.
Wilson Chandler would make Portland a 2nd round playoff team his first
season on the team by taking pressure off of SG-Roy and PF-Aldridge at the
starting SF spot. Little do so many KO members remember about last season,
Wilson Chandler drawed more double-teams than Gallo & Harrington put
together.
This have to be a JOKE-JOKE thread putting a 3 month Gallo-slump on
the same level as a versatile Wilson Chandler.
Who is learning from who?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
This thread was just like the comparing of Kukoc vs Pippin

above Gallo's at all 3 positions. As a team-player it was clear as the
morning sun the better player was Wilson Chandler when Gallo was DNP for
a game, and the Knicks went on a 4 game win streak with Chandler at the
3 spot.

After reading the KO members decision on this thread from Crazy-8
summation of Gallo over Chandler makes me want to puke on this thread.

Now, I do wish Walsh make the trade with Portland for Rudy giving up Wilson.
starting SF spot. Little do so many KO members remember about last season,
Wilson Chandler drawed more double-teams than Gallo & Harrington put
together.
This have to be a JOKE-JOKE thread putting a 3 month Gallo-slump on
the same level as a versatile Wilson Chandler.
Who is learning from who?

As always Kiya, you are learning from yourself.

Back that up and I'll shave off my eyebrows.

above Gallo's at all 3 positions.

Physical, yes. Mental? Sometimes Kiya I think you are on the edge of being mental.

starting SF spot.

Really? Come on really? Have you ever heard of Nicolas Batum? Chandler would be fighting for the starting job against Batum.

Admit it Kiya. You don't like Europeans playing in the NBA.

Gallo is the man to keep....
Don't forget his hard head and his willingness to be the first, he's got the Knicks mentality, and this year episodes with Melo and the post game hug with LeBron is there to prove it.
I believe that if he works on his post game he will be more effective than Dirk down low and if he will develop his passing ability , he'l be a sort of Dirk Kukoc of the 3rd millenium....

iSaYughh

Starter
Let's see.

Better shooter. Better sniper. Better desire. Better IQ. Better charachter. Better body (nohomonohomoNOHOMO).

Everything..everything...The Weed can do now that is equal to or better than Gallo will be reversed, and likely this season, through simple progression over the backdrop of high charachter, desire, IQ, and tools.

Principally, slashing and defense. The slashing and defensive shows Gallo put on as the season progressed put anything Chandler has ever done to shame.

This thread -- while excellent -- does show how suicidal many people are, and can't decently appreciate and analyze the best that they have, and are constantly trying to convince themselves and others that rags are riches, to their own detriment, along with their fellow countrymen (or sports fan, in this case).

And even if you ever thought The Weed is or could be as good or better than The Cock.....who could you ever see taking key shots in clutch spots, let alone throughout a playoff series?

Not to mention The Weed is a FA after this yr.

Paul1355

All Star
No, it's not.

That'll be the real question in April. Until now, Randolph's anyone's guess. It's sink or swim for him this season. He'll have to work himself in to a defined role. If he's unsuccessful, he'll become the tempting trade bait the Knicks will use to round out their roster.

No point comparing him to Gallo yet.
Chandlers has been injured as often as Randolph so if your going to throw out Randolph in the convo, then Chandlers has to go as well.

I see what your saying but if we are looking at those three guys it would be:
Randolph
Gallo
Chandler

Randolph has impressed as much as any player has, he is just inconsistent, Gallo was with his shooting slump and Chandler is consistently bad or good.

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy8......u are evaluating Wilson Chandler as a SG, plus alongside of a
halfcourt PG-Duhon. Duhon needs a NBA experience SG to help him in the
backcourt with alot of things. Watch how great Duhon look with
an experience SG-Carter.

u can not evaluate Chandler's IQ as a SG when he is a natural SF.
That is the same as evaluating Carmelo at the SG spot.
u cant evaluate Lee IQ as a NBA center, or Nate as a NBA SG.
Now if the 3 players were in the Euro-League, NCAA, or CBA, then all
3 players could probably be stars at those positions in those leagues.
But not in the NBA.

If u did not catch on to how certain "super star" players made a big change
in the NBA league like 6.9 PG-Magic Johnson, 6.9 SF-Larry Bird, 6.6 PF-
Barkley, 7.0 PF-Duncan, 6.0 SG-Iverson, 6.7 SF-Pippin, 6.6 SG-Jordan, 6.6
G-Paxon, and 6.6 PG-Harper, then u should not be giving out theories of a
players IQ.

If u want to measure the IQ of the Knick players on the roster u have to do
it when the Knicks put a complete lineup on the court, which is something
the Knicks had few of last season.
The season before (2008-9) when the Knicks showed lineups of PG-Duhon &
PG-Nate as their backcourt, Chandler at SF, and PF-Harrington with PF-Lee
as their frontcourt was the most complete lineup u seen consistently within
the past two seasons.

P.S. People kept saying "Nate brought energy off the bench" which made
little to no sense when Q.Rich & Chandler were awful guards in our backcourt
that could not dribble the ball up court. Nate is an uptempo transition
combo-guard, so playing Nate alongside of Duhon in our backcourt gave us a
better option of having two guards on the court to bring the ball up court.

Really? Come on really? Have you ever heard of Nicolas Batum?
Chandler would be fighting for the starting job against Batum.
I give Chandler performance coming off the bench 2 months before coach
McMillian put Chandler in the starting lineup. Batum offense/defense is not
as strong as Chandlers.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Crazy8......u are evaluating Wilson Chandler as a SG, plus alongside of a
halfcourt PG-Duhon. Duhon needs a NBA experience SG to help him in the
backcourt with alot of things. Watch how great Duhon look with
an experience SG-Carter.

u can not evaluate Chandler's IQ as a SG when he is a natural SF.
That is the same as evaluating Carmelo at the SG spot.
u cant evaluate Lee IQ as a NBA center, or Nate as a NBA SG.
Now if the 3 players were in the Euro-League, NCAA, or CBA, then all
3 players could probably be stars at those positions in those leagues.
But not in the NBA.

players IQ.

If u want to measure the IQ of the Knick players on the roster u have to do
it when the Knicks put a complete lineup on the court, which is something
the Knicks had few of last season.
The season before (2008-9) when the Knicks showed lineups of PG-Duhon &
PG-Nate as their backcourt, Chandler at SF, and PF-Harrington with PF-Lee
as their frontcourt was the most complete lineup u seen consistently within
the past two seasons.

P.S. People kept saying "Nate brought energy off the bench" which made
little to no sense when Q.Rich & Chandler were awful guards in our backcourt
that could not dribble the ball up court. Nate is an uptempo transition
combo-guard, so playing Nate alongside of Duhon in our backcourt gave us a

I give Chandler performance coming off the bench 2 months before coach
McMillian put Chandler in the starting lineup. Batum offense/defense is not
as strong as Chandlers.

That's the thing Kiya, I'm not thinking of Chandler as a SG in any way, shape or form. I'm comparing him directly to Gallo as a SF. That was the premise of the thread; to compare them, say why and then choose one over the other.

I'm questioning, and have previously questioned, Chandler's IQ, desire, cohesion with the rest of the roster and likelihood of improving. When I compare him with Gallo as an elimination process, I choose Gallo.

So any comparison I've made has been directly aimed at evaluating both Gallo and Chandler as SFs.

players IQ.

^
You're gonna have to explain this to me dude because I don't understand the point. Are you saying Chandler's height relates directly to his IQ? That's how I'm reading it. And Barkley was 6'4.

playing Nate alongside of Duhon in our backcourt gave us a

I'd like to see Felton and Douglas run themselves ragged at the 1 and 2 for the same reason.

portega1968

El Cacique
I was in Trinidad and Tobago about a year ago and during lunch was speaking with someone from outside the capital of Port of Spain. His accent was pretty heavy and I had such a hard time understanding what he was saying. I had to ask him about five times to repeat the same sentence and just couldn't understand. I mean, I speak very good English and his dialect was just not understandable for me. Sometimes it also happens when I go to London or speak with someone from India on the phone.

But I'm talking about spoken English, which because of the accent it is understandable that there may be some confusion. They must also have a hard time listening to me. What Ive never faced is the same level of confusion when Im READING English, and thats what precisely happens when I read Kiyaman's posts. I just cant understand what he's really trying to say. All I know is that hes disagreeing with 90% of us here. Kiya, if you keep it simple arguing your points it will make it easier to understand you, but you just try to throw in so much into your posts that it ends up like that commercial for the job website "ladders.com" with like a hundred people trying to play tennis on one court.

Anyways, IMO, Gallo will be a better player than Wilson in the long run. They are both good, but if the main objective of the game is to put the ball in the hoop, thats where Gallo wins. Defense goes for Chandler. And his strength and athleticism are sweet. But the priority in this game is to score and thats where Gallo will always have the edge and its what makes him more valuable.

In other words, Gallo has Larry Bird potential and Chandler has Scottie Pippen potential. Larry Bird or Scottie Pippen, which would you rather have on your team? Not saying that they will ever be anything close to one of these top 50 players, but thats more or less the easier way to frame this discussion.

Can the majority be mistaken? Check out a smilar discussion elsewhere:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100808014822AAc9PL3

Kiya buddy, you may now continue with your devil's advocacy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Kiyaman has resorted to defending Duhon...lol.

That being said I firmly believe Gallo is better. Kiyaman is a Gallo hater and constantly claims that he'll be nothing more than a 7th man off the bench, but the reality is that he is and will always be a better scorer than Wilson Chandler.

Wilson Chandler is more athletic and a better defender but Gallo is a better shooter. However, the key here is the fact that Gallo has shown a clear determination and desire to be the best player he can be, whereas Wilson Chandler gets caught driving with weed in Queens and does not display the heart and the work ethic that Gallo has shown.

Kiyaman

Legend
I was in Trinidad and Tobago about a year ago and during lunch was speaking with someone from outside the capital of Port of Spain. His accent was pretty heavy and I had such a hard time understanding what he was saying. I had to ask him about five times to repeat the same sentence and just couldn't understand. I mean, I speak very good English and his dialect was just not understandable for me. Sometimes it also happens when I go to London or speak with someone from India on the phone.

But I'm talking about spoken English, which because of the accent it is understandable that there may be some confusion. They must also have a hard time listening to me. What Ive never faced is the same level of confusion when Im READING English, and thats what precisely happens when I read Kiyaman's posts. I just cant understand what he's really trying to say. All I know is that hes disagreeing with 90% of us here. Kiya, if you keep it simple arguing your points it will make it easier to understand you, but you just try to throw in so much into your posts that it ends up like that commercial for the job website "ladders.com" with like a hundred people trying to play tennis on one court.

Anyways, IMO, Gallo will be a better player than Wilson in the long run. They are both good, but if the main objective of the game is to put the ball in the hoop, thats where Gallo wins. Defense goes for Chandler. And his strength and athleticism are sweet. But the priority in this game is to score and thats where Gallo will always have the edge and its what makes him more valuable.

In other words, Gallo has Larry Bird potential and Chandler has Scottie Pippen potential. Larry Bird or Scottie Pippen, which would you rather have on your team? Not saying that they will ever be anything close to one of these top 50 players, but thats more or less the easier way to frame this discussion.

Can the majority be mistaken? Check out a smilar discussion elsewhere:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100808014822AAc9PL3

Kiya buddy, you may now continue with your devil's advocacy.
:beer:

I have to give it to u ..... u are absolutely right.
I have to stop reading about 4 to 6 threads then try to respond to all
in one thread.
Plus my american english is all F up from Jamaica to Brooklyn to
Charleston South Carolina. never was fund of this english grammer

Larry Bird was an outstanding overall player in college/NBA.
Pippin was an overall player in NBA
Chandler has been an offense/defense player in college/NBA

Gallo's first full season in the NBA
Gallo stayed on the 3 point line from Oct. to February, if Gallo took
12 shots 8 of those shots was from the 3 ball line.
we did not see Gallo start performing on both sides of the court, and
start shooting more 2 ball shots untill late February.
We do have a "thread" in this KO forum made in January on Gallo being a waste of a player.

So all these poster evaluating Gallo on the last two months of Knick basketball
over Wilson Chandler is the same as Gallo's summer League game.