Knicks In Preliminary Talks To Extend Woodson's Tenure As HC

Rate from 1 to 10 how much you want Woody back at the helm.

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 21.1%

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
image.jpg

Mike Woodson is moving closer to having the interim tag removed from his job title.

The Knicks have initiated talks that would keep Woodson as the team?s head coach for the foreseeable future, the Daily News has learned. The talks are only in the preliminary stages but it is clear that Madison Square Garden management is convinced Woodson is the right man for the job and will not pursue either Phil Jackson or Kentucky head coach John Calipari.

Woodson replaced Mike D?Antoni in March and emerged as the leading candidate to keep the job when the Knicks finished out the regular season 18-6.

Knicks+DAntoni+Basketball.JPG

Woodson?s agent, Keith Glass, declined to comment about any possible negotiations, while co-agent Joel Glass was unavailable for comment.

Coincidentally, a playoff win on Sunday ? the Knicks? first since April 29th 2001 ? wasn?t necessarily critical for Woodson?s job security because the club approached him about a possible extension last week.

Jeremy-Lin-Mike-Woodson-Carmelo-Melo-Anthony.jpg

In fact, Garden chairman James Dolan met with Woodson in the head coach?s office for 45 minutes prior to the Knicks? emotional Game 4 victory over the Heat. When asked on Monday if he believed that winning Game 4 helped his candidacy, Woodson said: ?It?s not about Mike Woodson and my contract and where I go from here.?

Woodson has the support of several key players, most notably Carmelo Anthony. He also has a strong ally in GM Glen Grunwald, his former college teammate at Indiana. Both Grunwald and Woodson are long-time friends of former Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who serves as a de facto adviser to Dolan.

tumblr_m13sonvca01qzddo2o1_400.jpg

Grunwald and Thomas had to convince Dolan that Woodson would be a good hire after the front office encouraged ? some would say demanded ? that D?Antoni add an experienced assistant coach after the Knicks were swept by the Celtics in last year?s first round. It wasn?t Woodson?s coaching acumen that concerned Dolan. It was his relationship with Larry Brown.

Brown?s tumultuous one-year run as Knicks coach ended with Dolan and Thomas firing the head coach. The dispute was settled by the NBA league office but the bitterness still lingers even though Brown recently was quoted as saying that ?Mr. Dolan? wants to bring a championship to New York. Woodson worked under Brown in both Philadelphia and Detroit and it is clear that he?s adopted some of Brown?s coaching principles and philosophies. He?s uttered some Brown-isms like ?play the right way? and a Brown favorite, ?smell the gym.?

141679585_crop_650x440.jpg

Woodson also isn?t shy about offering both public praise and criticism of his players, something that Brown did regularly to Dolan?s dismay. On Friday, Woodson told reporters that he?d like to see Anthony work on his conditioning over the summer. Last month, he famously said he?d like to see J.R. Smith pull up his pants when he?s out in public.

Also, Woodson has shown he has the stomach to challenge his players while also getting them to perform. Both Anthony and Smith have played well under Woodson. Following the Knicks? Game 3 loss to Miami, Woodson was upset with Baron Davis? play, scolding the veteran point guard for not running the right plays.

Davis, though, played well on Sunday before suffering a serious knee injury that will keep him sidelined for at least 12 months. During a conference call with reporters on Monday, Woodson spoke glowingly about Davis, who has played with several injuries, giving the Knicks all he had with the season on the line.

image.jpg

Jackson is the most attractive free agent coach on the market, but the Knicks are reluctant to make a run at Red Holzman?s prot?g? because of Jackson?s age and health concerns. Calipari, because of his association with the Creative Arts Agency, which represents Anthony and J.R. Smith, among others, has been mentioned as a candidate for over a year but Calipari has said on numerous occasions that he wants to return to Kentucky, where he won his first national title in April.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-mike-woodson-article-1.1074140#ixzz1uIHH3nO9

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I had a feeling if he won a game against the Heat, they would have there eyes wide open on considering signing Woody

I think woody deserves to be resigned as well, not only because he won the knicks their 1st playoff game in forever, but because how well he has done with such little of a roaster. He has these guys fighting and believing in themselves.

As soon as woody got the starting job his PRESENCE was felt and had a positive impact on our players

Voted 1. I said this in another thread...

I dont know about Woody. Sure we won a game, but he seems a bit over matched. Its taken him four games to figure out how to get Melo the ball because the Heat are fronting him. He hasnt used the zone nearly enough. He cant seem to get Novak (our best 3 pt shooter) any good looks.

Phil Jackson
Bill Laimbeer
Jerry Sloan

In that order...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
1?

Voted 1. I said this in another thread...

He hasnt used the zone nearly enough.

The Heat are notoriously thrown out by zone defense, but we've hardly played it all year.

We've not had enough practice playing zone to implement it against an experienced team in the playoffs, and it'll be one of the myriad of things that'll have to be advocated for by whomever the HC may be next year.

1 seems a little steep when considering alternates.

He'll be the head coach next year. There are just too many signs leading to this. I'm sure he'll get the team playing better than they have played thus far. He just needs an off season and quality practice time. I think they will make the right move.

Going after old ass Phil is a mistake in my opinion. He's aging, He got swept last year, and his hunger is no longer there. Besides, teams have become hip to his style of play. Actually, I think he's overrated. Take Jordan, Kobe and Shaq off of those teams he's had and he would probably be ringless.

During Jordan's first retirement the Bulls sucked, It even took some time to get a chip in LA. LA is still in the playoffs without Phil and playing well. They've been there beore and after him. Why gamble on him when we already have a coach that is able to win with this team.

I don't want another Larry Brown situation and fans calling for his head because certain players can't play under his system. We have a working formula now...why gamble? These other coaches already expressed no interest. Woody is clearly showing interest and controll of the team... yet some fans still want to welcome washed up or uninterested coaches to our team...especially a coach that has giving us years of hell.

sorry, but Phil is an enemy in my eyes. The years of him hurting our team is not easily forgetable...it would be a worse feeling if he came here and failed us like the other hall of fame coaches. I'm not willing to take that risk. It would be more bad Karma to pay if we disrespected what Woody has done for the Knicks organisation.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Good thread. Can we merge all the Woody threads into this one? I posted an article about this in another one but the thread wasn't that good.

Give him 3 years, and hire someone who can help him on offense.

You guys are NUTTSSSS if you don't want Woody back. Let this franchise show some commitment to a real coach for once. If we change our coach again this off season that just gives us another excuse to why we don't go far next year. Some people on here will say "O its only there first season in the new system, cut them some slack."

Melo, STAT and Chandler if I am not mistaken are under contract for 3 more seasons. Give Woody a three year contract and let them get to work. They are somewhat familiar with his ways already so its not like we are starting from scratch. Who knows how these players will respond to Phil Jackson or JVG, all we do know is Woody has the attention of the players right now.

My only thing with hiring Woody is finding someone who can help him on offense. An assistant who can figure out ways to implement some pick n roll sets as well as some ISO sets through Melo.

We have a dynamic starting five next season:

Lin
Fields, JR (Pending) Shump (when he comes back)
Melo
Amare
Tyson

It is Woodson job along with his personnel, to figure out a way to make this team work. This is a good problem to have, and many teams would love to have some of these pieces and this problem. Give them a full training camp and off season and I promise you we will see a consistent good season next year, something we have been lacking for over a decade.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
I think he'll get around 4-5 mil a year..

he should be good with a 4 year , 15-16 mil contract.

At the end of the day this is NY.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
I think he's done a decent job here so far..

Not to mention he looks like a character that everyone knows....

tumblr_ln9324EMAw1qk4a0ho1_500.jpg

Benchwarmer
:lol: :mrgreen:

Well, more like this: (The smile from the last game.)

Mr_Potato_head.gif

And, I agree, Woodson deserves to get the coaching position. :thumbsup:

Kiyaman

Legend
Im still trying to figure out how we gave Grunwald an extension without given Woodson an extension first....Grunwald extension was based from Woodson's wins...

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
Winning one playoff game is not enough,
not nearly enough.
at best he should get one year deal, no multi year deals.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
not nearly enough.

I mean it's only rational we don't give him and extension. Not like he led our team to the second best wins in the league behind the Spurs or had to put up with injuries.

I mean we have only missed our starting PG and PF for most of his time at interim head coach. Lost Shumpert in game 1 and are now down to our 3rd string PG and still managed to get a win against a fully healthy Miami.

Did i mention we had the league's best defense in his first 12 games as our head coach? And ended up with the league's 4th best defense under him in the 18-6 run despite having several players on our roster who aren't strong defenders and a plethora of injuries.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Im still trying to figure out how we gave Grunwald an extension without given Woodson an extension first....Grunwald extension was based from Woodson's wins...

I think Grunwald's extension was based more on Novak, Lin and Chandler...

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
To the guy that said 1 year deal lol.... How does it help the team moving forward to have continued uncertainty at the HC position?

skisloper

Starter
not nearly enough.

If he gets signed you have to do multi-year and give the team stability....
Has to be a 3 year contract the same lifeline as our semi-big 3.

If the Knicks fall flat in this first half tonight then I have no interest in bringing him back......I do not care what he does but after the disgrace of game 1 that should never happen again not with pur talent and such a crucial game on the line.....

We might as well say it's a done deal. Stat, Melo, Chandler and the rest of the team have all endorsed Woody. They said everyone on the team loves his philosophy on both ends of the court and want him to remain their head coach.

I guess it's a wrap...as far as Head coaching goes. Also Calipri said himself that Woodson is the right man for the job because he's gotten Melo to play a solid all around game. At least we got some good news, I suppose...

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Woodson 18-6, if we can shape up the roaster, add pieces, have a full training camp. grow chemistry and stay healthy, we are easily going to be the #3 or 4 seed next year with woody