With the final proposal, are the knicks better with or without Melo? Make your call

Are we better with melo? or without?

• Better fa sho!

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Nah, Raygov Wilsonari > Melo

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • We get out of the second round in the playoffs with melo

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

STAT1

Starter
The Knicks have never had 2 players on the level of Amare & Melo playing together since I've been a fan of this team. I'm curious to see how it will play out. I'm also very curious to see what lies ahead in terms of CP3 or Deron possibly forcing their way to the Knicks, depending of course on the new CBA provisions. All I know is a STAT-Melo-Billups 1-2-3 punch is a nightmare matchup for any team to have to match up with, I don't care what team you are. It will be fun to watch the team develop around our 2 superstars & return to being a legitimate contending team & not just a wannabe like we are now.

We've pretty much come too far to not do this deal. Den and the Nets are twin stuffing us, Den mad Melo wants us, Nets hatin cuz they ain't us.

Stat amd Melo on that frontline is an issue for any team. We are still keeping Fields, and Chauncey is a better shooter than Felton in his sleep. Our bench is pretty much the same, minus an inconsistent Chandler. We get Barron, we could be a dangerous team come playoff time.

you're willing to trade Mozgov in the hopes Barron could duplicate what he did with us last season?
I never said i hope he plays like he did last season but he can do everything Mozgov can do.There both 7 footers and Barron has been wanting to sign with us for a while now,he just needs a roster spot.

We've pretty much come too far to not do this deal. Den and the Nets are twin stuffing us, Den mad Melo wants us, Nets hatin cuz they ain't us.

Stat amd Melo on that frontline is an issue for any team. We are still keeping Fields, and Chauncey is a better shooter than Felton in his sleep. Our bench is pretty much the same, minus an inconsistent Chandler. We get Barron, we could be a dangerous team come playoff time.
Agreed 100%

STAT1

Starter
First of all, many of us realize he's not great now, but the things he does wrong on the court isn't so drastically bad that we shouldn't keep him. As I said, Denver at LEAST had one center in Camby that season, you're willing to trade Mozgov in the hopes Barron could duplicate what he did with us last season?

It won't be hard for Earl Barron to replicate the 4 pts 3 rebounds in 14 minutes a night production that Mozgov is giving us this year. Those numbers are all pretty much in line with Barron's career averages. I doubt he'll be able to replicate the 12 pts & 11 rebounds a game number he produced for us in 7 games last year but it was impressive nonetheless that he was able to grab that many boards sharing the frontcourt with a top rebounder like David Lee on some nights. Barron is more seasoned & more comfortable in this system than Mozgov is as well, plus his midrange J is more consistent. He's not going to have the same upside potential that Mozgov brings but as a stopgap solution he's serviceable enough.

Plus we have Turiaf as another big body upfront anyway, & if worse comes to worse & we need to add a C desperately I'm pretty sure there are guys we can bring in on 10 day contracts to audition for minutes over the course of the 2nd half of the season. This summer the Knicks can focus on drafting another C with their 1st round pick, or signing one in free agency like they did with Mozgov last summer from the Euro Leagues or NBDL. Losing Timo is not going to handicap our franchise nearly as much as people think it will.

skisloper

Starter

Chandler is good man to come off the bench.....when u have 4 main guys that come off the bench and the best of those 4 is gone its not a valid statement to say we are pretty much the same minus

iSaYughh

Starter
Earl Barron is also a perpetual D-leauger, most recently cut by the Suns.

Mozgov has been a surging 21yr old high-ceiling, 7foot goliath.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking Moz is some truly proven commodity, or a legit blue chipper,

But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we will be snatching up The Barron, and BAM -- there's our starting 5, or big minute rotation bigman.

It's reminiscent of how we all thought AR would just slide right in to our starting 4-5, Rautins would be icing 3's off the bench, Mozgov would be a consistent force from game1 to season end, etc.

Reasonably, The Barron will be even more of a stretch to really expect stuff from; when compared to those guys.

Not a Barron hater, I've wanted us to acquire him all season...But it's a legit "will not give us shit" risk.

And we will be playing STAT more and more reliant at the 5..Except our "big" rotation will be even more hamstrung because Chandler (and to a lesser extent Gallo) won't be there producing at the 4. And when Ronnie's chronic arthritus has its flair-ups...double down on this problemo.

Let's say Billups fits like a glove attitude-wise, it's still reasonable to expect -- or at least not be surprised -- to see less production than Felton in our system from him, especially this year.

We'll still be a better team, more dangerous, and easier to build up into a true contender; but we will operate much the same way as we are now. Needing our primary cylinders (now Melo+STAT) to be running on absolute peak capacity in order to slay big dogs.

And needing to make another powermove deal, along with a shrewd signing or two, to be an actual contender.

Who we will even be able to trade now for Deron/CP3...is beyond me. So it will basically be pray they come to us as FAs.

****our team, as it may very well soon be...will be predicated upon a Big Three formula to win any time soon, and before Amare's prime years begin a downward trend****

MIA-light, in terms of how we go about winning our chips.

skisloper

Starter

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking Moz is some truly proven commodity, or a legit blue chipper,

But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we will be snatching up The Barron, and BAM -- there's our starting 5, or big minute rotation bigman.

It's reminiscent of how we all thought AR would just slide right in to our starting 4-5, Rautins would be icing 3's off the bench, Mozgov would be a consistent force from game1 to season end, etc.

Reasonably, The Barron will be even more of a stretch to really expect stuff from; when compared to those guys.

Not a Barron hater, I've wanted us to acquire him all season...But it's a legit "will not give us shit" risk.

And we will be playing STAT more and more reliant at the 5..Except our "big" rotation will be even more hamstrung because Chandler (and to a lesser extent Gallo) won't be there producing at the 4. And when Ronnie's chronic arthritus has its flair-ups...double down on this problemo.

Let's say Billups fits like a glove attitude-wise, it's still reasonable to expect -- or at least not be surprised -- to see less production than Felton in our system from him, especially this year.

We'll still be a better team, more dangerous, and easier to build up into a true contender; but we will operate much the same way as we are now. Needing our primary cylinders (now Melo+STAT) to be running on absolute peak capacity in order to slay big dogs.

And needing to make another powermove deal, along with a shrewd signing or two, to be an actual contender.

Who we will even be able to trade now for Deron/CP3...is beyond me. So it will basically be pray they come to us as FAs.

****our team, as it may very well soon be...will be predicated upon a Big Three formula to win any time soon, and before Amare's prime years begin a downward trend****

MIA-light, in terms of how we go about winning our chips.

Thats why we have to pray that Donnie is calling the shots and not a team of Dolan/Thomas....

Hang on to Mozgov and Hopefully by a first round draft pick for 3 million from someone to then send to Denver.

Holding on to Randolph and Mozgov are at least 2 chips we could use for trade later or now.

STAT1

Starter

Mozgov is 24, he obviously hasn't yet reached his ceiling but there's a big difference between a 21 year old raw prospect looking the way he does right now as compared to a 24 year old that's had experience playing overseas. As raw as he looks right now I think his upside is a little bit limited, I don't think in any way, shape or form that he has star potential or even close to it, but that's just a humble fan's perspective. I'm sure DW sees some promise in him otherwise he would have never signed him to begin with, but when you take a step back & really consider what he's brought to this team this year & his contribution, it hasn't been anything that concerns me we wouldn't easily be able to replace. I don't think anyone considers Earl Barron as a viable longterm solution but as a stopgap solution he can be serviceable for the rest of this year while sharing the C position with Ronny T. Not to mention the added cap flexibility trading him would bring, every single dollar helps when you're looking to add Melo's big contract to our cap for the next few years.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
All I know is that the Nets and Nuggets have looked like real unprofessionals. I now have a new found hate for the Nets and the Nuggets are now acting like children.

Don't know if this is true, but I heard that the Nuggests management team is extremely new to the scene and this could be the reason for their clear stupidity in all this. Getting Melo is good, but we have just gotten real old real quick. Billups has maybe another year and Tony is not ready to run the team yet. We now have one good center and with Moz going Eddy Curry is leaving we need to get someone in there that can be a good starter along with Stoutmire (Gasol, M).

What I see is real trouble cutting it this year and making the playoffs as we just lost a lot of depth and now have to rely on people like A.R. who is imo a terrible prospect. He jacks up shots and doesn't run shit. We have a center in Turief who would be our only other experienced big man. What the hell. Yea we get Melo finally, but a serious cost and if one of those two stars go down for any period of time we are in trouble.

I would like to think that we could make some moves next year, but with the CBA thing who the hell knows. I'm happy with this as we still have Landry, but I have my doubts as to how much depth we have in the big man department and we are losing a lot of height.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
You people are nuts, we're in an infinitely better position. No Melo on his own doesn't make us a contender, nor even does Melo and Billups but are the players we are giving up going to be irreplacable? I don't think so.

I'm not happy about giving up Moz, I see real potential there and I'd rather we kept him but when is Gallo going to be better than Melo? The answer you are looking for is never.

Has everyone forgotten just what Melo does? He's legit! Amar'e has been fantastic but can he continue to close games on his own? No of course he can't, Melo gives us a proper 1-2 kill shot and add Billups and we're suddenly a 1-2-3 pick your poison team, something none of these kids can give us and Felton won't give us either.

It's just another step in the right direction and as Miami have shown, Vets will be lining up to take pay cuts to fill the roster in search of championship.

When Billups comes off the pay roll we trade up in 2012 for CP3/D-Will and get a solid underpriced C who can rebound and where is the weakness, defence? Please, the team will soon play better D when it comes to playing in finals consistently, and that's exactly what we'll be doing.

C is overrated for me, you can be as dominant as you want but you are more likely to win games with solid teams with a solid C and an outstanding back court for my money. We can have that!

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Turiaf/Moz/Williams/Barron

You're seriously telling me whoever is C that we haven't just gone up to a whole new level? Of course we have. We're basically swopping what should be a poor draft pick and Gallo for MELO. This deal is immense, only Knicks fans could see it otherwise. Think of Denver and what they are trying desperately to scrape out of this deal. We're uber raping them and we're still crying?

Some people's glass is always half empty but on here sometimes it's like "what f****** glass?!"

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
You people are nuts, we're in an infinitely better position. No Melo on his own doesn't make us a contender, nor even does Melo and Billups but are the players we are giving up going to be irreplacable? I don't think so.

I'm not happy about giving up Moz, I see real potential there and I'd rather we kept him but when is Gallo going to be better than Melo? The answer you are looking for is never.

Has everyone forgotten just what Melo does? He's legit! Amar'e has been fantastic but can he continue to close games on his own? No of course he can't, Melo gives us a proper 1-2 kill shot and add Billups and we're suddenly a 1-2-3 pick your poison team, something none of these kids can give us and Felton won't give us either.

It's just another step in the right direction and as Miami have shown, Vets will be lining up to take pay cuts to fill the roster in search of championship.

When Billups comes off the pay roll we trade up in 2012 for CP3/D-Will and get a solid underpriced C who can rebound and where is the weakness, defence? Please, the team will soon play better D when it comes to playing in finals consistently, and that's exactly what we'll be doing.

C is overrated for me, you can be as dominant as you want but you are more likely to win games with solid teams with a solid C and an outstanding back court for my money. We can have that!

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Turiaf/Moz/Williams/Barron

You're seriously telling me whoever is C that we haven't just gone up to a whole new level? Of course we have. We're basically swopping what should be a poor draft pick and Gallo for MELO. This deal is immense, only Knicks fans could see it otherwise. Think of Denver and what they are trying desperately to scrape out of this deal. We're uber raping them and we're still crying?

Some people's glass is always half empty but on here sometimes it's like "what f****** glass?!"

I will tell you without a center we won't compete in the playoffs. Period. If you think about it we are living on the edge in terms of foul trouble with the bigs. If one gets in trouble we could be in a seriously bad position.

STAT1

Starter
I will tell you without a center we won't compete in the playoffs. Period. If you think about it we are living on the edge in terms of foul trouble with the bigs. If one gets in trouble we could be in a seriously bad position.

The Miami Heat are running a decrepid Big Z & Joel Anthony at the C position, this guy's averaging 1.8 points & 3.5 rebounds a game this year. I think the Knicks can make due with a limited skills role player at the position. Turiaf, Barron & Shelden Williams will do just fine in that role because they won't be looked upon to provide any offense they can focus primarily on playing defense & rebounding. All the scoring will be taken care of by Melo, STAT & Billups. I think people are overrating the impact that Mozgov has had on this team this year.

TheMerck

Rookie
dismantling a team for one player its just crasy! dismantling a team for Carmelo it's real madness, and in fact Walsh it's not calling the shots anymore but Dolan is!

la2ny

Starter
dismantling a team for one player its just crasy! dismantling a team for Carmelo it's real madness, and in fact Walsh it's not calling the shots anymore but Dolan is!
Dismantling??? lol.

I smh @ everyone who says were dismatling. Everyone just thinks were going to get Denver to give him up for Wilson Chandler and a bag of hot cheetos it's not happening. If we keep Moz this deal is one of the best trades in Knicks history because we essentially traded Gallo,Chandler and Randolph for Melo.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
The Miami Heat are running a decrepid Big Z & Joel Anthony at the C position, this guy's averaging 1.8 points & 3.5 rebounds a game this year. I think the Knicks can make due with a limited skills role player at the position. Turiaf, Barron & Shelden Williams will do just fine in that role because they won't be looked upon to provide any offense they can focus primarily on playing defense & rebounding. All the scoring will be taken care of by Melo, STAT & Billups. I think people are overrating the impact that Mozgov has had on this team this year.

The Heat have three superb players that can board and assist one an another. Lebron is a power forward with guard skills at 6'8 270. I mean seriously. I don't think we can compare that to us.

Also they are going to suffer without a true average big man presence in the playoffs and so will we.

I like Melo and what he brings, but we are really thin depth wise and Felton was a massive contributor to this team and his speed and ability to push the tempo is something I think we are going to miss as Billups doesn't have those wheels.

STAT1

Starter
The Heat have three superb players that can board and assist one an another. Lebron is a power forward with guard skills at 6'8 270. I mean seriously. I don't think we can compare that to us.

Also they are going to suffer without a true average big man presence in the playoffs and so will we.

No doubt I'm not trying to say the Knicks would be on their level but certainly they could compete in the playoffs against teams like the Bulls, Magic, Hawks, etc. People are focusing way too much on what the Knicks would be missing & not focusing nearly enough on what the Knicks would have. Can someone tell me how the Bulls, Magic or Hawks would possibly be able to stop a Melo, Amare & Billups triple threat?

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Make the trade happen, I could care less for Felton, Gallinari, Chandler, Mozgov. I want a championship and remember that we will be competing with Miami for years to come. If we stand pat can anybody in this forum say that we can beat Miami with just Amare? I don't think so! If we don't make the deal it will be one the decisions that Knicks fans will forever regret.

WrongIslander

Rotation player

Turiaf is underrated off the bench, he can light a fire, we just need someone solid not spectacular to play C.

If we get Melo we're right back in the hunt with Miami. Being the Celtics/Lakers takes a bit more than one great trade and a quality FA.

We're not as far away as people make out, without Melo? We're miles away.

Can I just remind people what Melo does because it seems a lot have completely forgotten in a torrent of anti NY media s*** (quite the feat given he's not even here!).