Marbury talks about Mike D "Only a Matter of Time"

Paul1355

All Star
I know there are Steph haters but this guy was dead on with his analysis of the current situation with this team, I think everyone gets what is happening with the Knicks behind closed doors and off the court and non of it is pretty or hopeful. Check it out.

Tue Nov 16 03:45pm EST
Stephon Marbury: Mike D'Antoni's firing only 'a matter of time'

By Kelly Dwyer
ept_sports_nba_experts-416162318-1289936587.jpg
You click on a link to a New York Post article (worrying aspect, numero uno) with a headline that mentions Stephon Marbury's(notes) supposed "countdown" for Mike D'Antoni to be fired as Knicks coach. You obviously have some preconceived notions about how this is going to turn out, heading into the thing.
But then you read on, and though it could be the bad cilantro talking, this seems as lucid and on-point as Steph has seemed in years. Even if he's still kind of a jerk for joking on record about someone losing his job.
From Marc Berman of the New York Post:
'He doesn't teach defense,'' Marbury said. "He teaches offense. (Jeff) Van Gundy teaches defense. (The D'Antoni system) doesn't work in New York. Not in the East. You have to have a team that dives for balls and takes the 3 when nobody expects you to take the 3. You have to be inside the fans' minds and that's what they want. There's knowledgeable people in the arena. They're talking to you while you're shooting a jump shot.'' [...]
"It's just a matter of time,'' Marbury said. "That's all I got to stay about D'Antoni's situation. I don't pay attention to his coaching. It hasn't changed since he won 50 games or since all the how many games he's lost here. If he had different pieces, he's a very effective coach. But without any players that play with the realm of how he coaches the game, it will never be.
"It's a matter of time,'' Marbury added. "It's a countdown now. He put a countdown on his head. Now (the fans) know we're never going to win a championship like this.''
I never really care for it when fans refer to their favorite team as "we," though I admit to slipping myself on that idea a few times, but how (kind of) cool is it that Stephon still thinks of the Knicks as his team? As a fan, and not a point guard, we're hoping. And in spite of being paid to play for another team, even if it is in the Chinese league. OK, maybe it isn't so great.
D'Antoni and Marbury never got along in Marbury's one year playing for D'Antoni in New York (the current Knicks coach was an assistant in Phoenix years ago in Stephon's last season in Arizona), and this is the perfect time to pounce as D'Antoni's Knicks are struggling, badly; 3-7 entering a tough game with the Denver Nuggets Tuesday night.
(Although, I never understood how an offense-only style of ball could "never work in the East." Maybe if it were a run-and-gun attack for some outdoor football team in New York or Buffalo, perhaps, but these guys play inside! What does being in the East or West have to do with any of that? And, weirder, why does it still always turn out that the fastest-paced teams always end up way out West?)
Steph goes on to say, "If you're trying to make money, play for D'Antoni," which I suppose makes sense (D'Antoni's fast-paced offense could pump up statistics in order to lure GMs that don't pay attention to pace-adjusted stats, and sadly there are quite a few of those still out there), but wasn't Marbury "trying to make money" in his last year under contract in New York under D'Antoni?
It is important to point out that, for as out of it as we thought (read: knew) Marbury was back in the summer of 2009, he has done a pretty good job of keeping it relatively sane in the years since. He was allowed to dominate the ball last year in China, sure, but he (by all accounts) was a professional most of the time and has turned things around somewhat.
These aren't the most tactful things to say about his former coach, but as an objective analyst (which Marbury most certainly is not), he might not be wrong, here.
Just something to take, with a grain of Vaseline.

mafra

Legend
And according to Tommy Dee:

"And not to keep you in suspense, but I talked to a source close with real knowledge and it?s something I posted on Twitter.

Donnie Walsh and Mike D?Antoni are not on the same page and contrary to popular belief, even on my own part, Walsh isn?t opposed to dismissing D?Antoni especially if they bomb on this road trip. And, according to the source, Walsh would be able to name a successor.

Walsh is currently recovering from hip surgery.

The source says Knicks players aren?t happy, and why would they be, every game seems to end in the same result.

This is not to excuse them, they?ve been dreadful from behind the arc, but it seems as if D?Antoni has already lost the locker room and only a win can even begin to change the atmosphere.

The source also tells me that D?Antoni and Walsh haven?t been on the same page for some time and one can only speculate it may have something to do with D?Antoni?s resistance to play Anthony Randolph, who Walsh loves, major minutes among other things like the lack of improvement of the team.

Things are brewing, and this is not to say that a dismissal is imminent, it?s to say that it?s not a given that D?Antoni, should the Knicks continue to lose, will last all that long.

I expect there to be the same patience that Walsh has exuded since hes been here. But it appears it?s wearing thin.

And it may cost D?Antoni his job, again, unless the Knicks can do something on this road trip.

This wasn?t the right start"

http://www.theknicksblog.com/

mafra

Legend
D'antoni backs up what Marbury says, in a way... At least when it comes to allowing (and demanding) that players shoot from anywhere when they cross over halfcourt:

"You can't stop shooting 3s," D'Antoni said. "You can't say, 'OK guys, you're lousy shooters, quit shooting and just go to the basket.' It doesn't work that way. We expect some guys to be really good shooters and it hasn't been that way. We do have a couple of guys questioning their shooting. We have guys doubting themselves."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/skid_at_half_dozen_melo_takes_it_ny7MVntIpw6HC4WjXX76OI

WHAT AN IDIOT. Yeah, coach, that is exactly what you do!

And according to Tommy Dee:

"And not to keep you in suspense, but I talked to a source close with real knowledge and it?s something I posted on Twitter.

Donnie Walsh and Mike D?Antoni are not on the same page and contrary to popular belief, even on my own part, Walsh isn?t opposed to dismissing D?Antoni especially if they bomb on this road trip. And, according to the source, Walsh would be able to name a successor.

Walsh is currently recovering from hip surgery.

The source says Knicks players aren?t happy, and why would they be, every game seems to end in the same result.

This is not to excuse them, they?ve been dreadful from behind the arc, but it seems as if D?Antoni has already lost the locker room and only a win can even begin to change the atmosphere.

The source also tells me that D?Antoni and Walsh haven?t been on the same page for some time and one can only speculate it may have something to do with D?Antoni?s resistance to play Anthony Randolph, who Walsh loves, major minutes among other things like the lack of improvement of the team.

Things are brewing, and this is not to say that a dismissal is imminent, it?s to say that it?s not a given that D?Antoni, should the Knicks continue to lose, will last all that long.

I expect there to be the same patience that Walsh has exuded since hes been here. But it appears it?s wearing thin.

And it may cost D?Antoni his job, again, unless the Knicks can do something on this road trip.

This wasn?t the right start"

http://www.theknicksblog.com/
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!!!!

SO FAR SO GOOD! KEEP LOSING THESE GAMES GUYS! FASTER DANTONI WILL BE GONE

mafra

Legend
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!!!!

SO FAR SO GOOD! KEEP LOSING THESE GAMES GUYS! FASTER DANTONI WILL BE GONE

They've already lost in DEN. Losing in SAC and then GSW (w/out Lee), followed by a 4th loss against the Clippers.... This would mean NYL go 0-4 on the road trip and are mired in a 9 game losing streak. They'll be 3-11 at that point.

If Walsh is ever going to fire MD, that would be the time to do it. Knicks come home and have a few days off, before playing a home/away against CHA on back-2-back nights, then battle ATL-DET-NYJ, before going to NO, but then get TOR-MIN-TOR-WASH after that.

In other words, they get 2 "tough" teams in a 10 game stretch. What better way for a enw coach to hit the ground running, and gain some mojo and momentum, right?

WALSH moves like an iceberg though. He'll probably wait until after this 10 game stretch. And when Knicks lose 6 of 10 here, their record will be something like 7-18. Season over and here come the big boys.

My thing is.... If the season is going to be salvaged in any way, you have to act. I believe (if sources are correct) that Walsh understands that. Knicks have to get back to .500 in these 10 games. The schedule gets ready hard in DEC. If we have any shot to win 35 to 40 games, we have to gain confidence in the 10 games after this road trip.

I think if we lose all 4 games on the road trip, and fall to 3-11.... Walsh knows now is the time to act.

If he really is upset (perturbed) with D'antoni for not playing Randolph, then he'll have the public support to fire coach. If the thought has ever creeped into his minds, after the LAC is the moment to strike. After that, it's not fair to the new coach to come here when the schedule gets brutal. At that point, make MD suffer. Make him twist in the wind until trade deadline, then axe his ass and let Herb serve as interim.

WHen the Knicks fall ten games under, the season is all about getting Randolph, Walker, Mozgov, Fields, Douglas serious burn. I think Gallo and Chandler are fine, and are what they are...

Knicks have no future unless Melo signs here anyway. BUT, they wont win anything unless those 5 young guys seriously improve by next season.

FINALLY, one more reason to axe D'antoni. MD will NEVER PLAY EDDY CURRY. N-E-V-E-R.

We all know the Curry story by now and what a joke he is. But seriously, Mozgov gives us 2 rebounds, a block and 1 point a night. We need a true center. Curry will definitely be an upgrade over what we've been getting.

But Curry doesn't fit into MD's system, and MD hates the guy.

New coach will come in. Curry will start. Sayw hat you want, but in a half court setting.... STAT will benefit if Curry plays.

Felton
Fields
Chandler
STAT
CURRY

Gallo 6th man. Douglas 1st guard off bench. Turiaf, Walker, Randolph, Mozgov get chance to prove their worth. Sure, all 11 wont play minutes every night, but those who are playing well on any given evening will play more.

Curry-Randolp-Mozgov all get chance early in games, and whoever plays well see major minutes in 3rd quarter and end of game. The other 2 rotate in and out.

Same with Gallo and Chandler for the SF spot.

And with Felton-Douglas-Walker-Fields for the 2 guard spots.

11 men as a team. Earn your minutes with SMART play. That means doing everything. Defend, make smart decisions, and pass the ball.

Mark Jackson would be my first interview.

jimkcchief88

All Star
They've already lost in DEN. Losing in SAC and then GSW (w/out Lee), followed by a 4th loss against the Clippers.... This would mean NYL go 0-4 on the road trip and are mired in a 9 game losing streak. They'll be 3-11 at that point.

If Walsh is ever going to fire MD, that would be the time to do it. Knicks come home and have a few days off, before playing a home/away against CHA on back-2-back nights, then battle ATL-DET-NYJ, before going to NO, but then get TOR-MIN-TOR-WASH after that.

In other words, they get 2 "tough" teams in a 10 game stretch. What better way for a enw coach to hit the ground running, and gain some mojo and momentum, right?

WALSH moves like an iceberg though. He'll probably wait until after this 10 game stretch. And when Knicks lose 6 of 10 here, their record will be something like 7-18. Season over and here come the big boys.

My thing is.... If the season is going to be salvaged in any way, you have to act. I believe (if sources are correct) that Walsh understands that. Knicks have to get back to .500 in these 10 games. The schedule gets ready hard in DEC. If we have any shot to win 35 to 40 games, we have to gain confidence in the 10 games after this road trip.

I think if we lose all 4 games on the road trip, and fall to 3-11.... Walsh knows now is the time to act.

If he really is upset (perturbed) with D'antoni for not playing Randolph, then he'll have the public support to fire coach. If the thought has ever creeped into his minds, after the LAC is the moment to strike. After that, it's not fair to the new coach to come here when the schedule gets brutal. At that point, make MD suffer. Make him twist in the wind until trade deadline, then axe his ass and let Herb serve as interim.

WHen the Knicks fall ten games under, the season is all about getting Randolph, Walker, Mozgov, Fields, Douglas serious burn. I think Gallo and Chandler are fine, and are what they are...

Knicks have no future unless Melo signs here anyway. BUT, they wont win anything unless those 5 young guys seriously improve by next season.

FINALLY, one more reason to axe D'antoni. MD will NEVER PLAY EDDY CURRY. N-E-V-E-R.

We all know the Curry story by now and what a joke he is. But seriously, Mozgov gives us 2 rebounds, a block and 1 point a night. We need a true center. Curry will definitely be an upgrade over what we've been getting.

But Curry doesn't fit into MD's system, and MD hates the guy.

New coach will come in. Curry will start. Sayw hat you want, but in a half court setting.... STAT will benefit if Curry plays.

Felton
Fields
Chandler
STAT
CURRY

Gallo 6th man. Douglas 1st guard off bench. Turiaf, Walker, Randolph, Mozgov get chance to prove their worth. Sure, all 11 wont play minutes every night, but those who are playing well on any given evening will play more.

Curry-Randolp-Mozgov all get chance early in games, and whoever plays well see major minutes in 3rd quarter and end of game. The other 2 rotate in and out.

Same with Gallo and Chandler for the SF spot.

And with Felton-Douglas-Walker-Fields for the 2 guard spots.

11 men as a team. Earn your minutes with SMART play. That means doing everything. Defend, make smart decisions, and pass the ball.

Mark Jackson would be my first interview.

Money post here. From your lips to God's ears.... Hip replacement is major surgery so I'm sure Lo-Pan(Walsh) is taking time to recover and watching. But if the Knicks fall flat on this road trip, it would be a great time to dump D'ant while the season is still salvagable. Mark Jackson would be a great hire.... He is a natural teacher, understands DEFENSIVE philosophy, and KNICKS/NY culture.

mafra

Legend
Money post here. From your lips to God's ears.... Hip replacement is major surgery so I'm sure Lo-Pan(Walsh) is taking time to recover and watching. But if the Knicks fall flat on this road trip, it would be a great time to dump D'ant while the season is still salvagable. Mark Jackson would be a great hire.... He is a natural teacher, understands DEFENSIVE philosophy, and KNICKS/NY culture.

Mark Jackson would do WONDERS for T-Douglas. Who better to teach TD how to pass and have court vision. Right now coach is asking him to chuck 3s.