Phil Jackson calls Knicks roster "clumsy"

Well Phil could be classy and just not say anything but I bet at heasrt he is a knicks fan and wants the team to return to glory so will say this publically to try to get Dolan to change his ways. He won't of course. They need to get rid of stat and get a real coach. And tell melo to stop being a bitch or trade him if he won't.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
:agreed:I was thinking the same thing, he only wants jobs with the best players ever, he's a good at coaching ego's, i'll give him that, but c'mon man.The dude coached, MJ, Kobe, and Shaq, those guys are literally 3 of the top 5 to ever play.So i'm not crying over not getting Jack, he would be sleeping on the bench sometimes, that's how much talent he had, he would actually have to coach this team, and at his age, i don't think he's up to it.

Do you really think Shaq and Kobe are in the top 5 of all time??

Common man.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
um they are, in their primes

No friggin way. Kobe's lucky to be top 5 sg's.

Alltime top 5:

Russell
Wilt
Bird
Jordan
Magic

Done deal.

You want to start getting into 10-15 best, then you can bring Kobe n Shaq into the discussion.

Shaq's not even better than Kareem or Hakeem

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Thanks Melo you cost us D'Antoni and now the Zen Master take your ISO ass back to Denver better yet stay here and have Woodson bench his ass like fat Curry for the next 3 years

Lin would have never allowed this to happen

No friggin way. Kobe's lucky to be top 5 sg's.

Alltime top 5:

Russell
Wilt
Bird
Jordan
Magic

Done deal.

You want to start getting into 10-15 best, then you can bring Kobe n Shaq into the discussion.

Shaq's not even better than Kareem or Hakeem
You can argue Kobe is just top 10 instead of top 5. But Shaq would have ripped Wilt in half.

Wargames

Starter
Legit LOL if you think this is sour grapes.

Yep - Phil Jackson, a coach with tons of rings, is upset a 7 seed in turmoil with a star player who quit on his coach midseason didn't call him up?

Give me a break.

Dude threw out a lot of subliminal messages that he was open to possibly returning to NY the team he won his rings playing for and get paid in a top market to coach.

I am not saying its nostalgia, nor am I saying he would of took the job. But to not even be contacted for a job interview when your arguably the greatest coach ever and you have a ton of rings.

It makes sense he would be a bit pissed and knowing how Phil loves to snipe through the media this interview and its timing makes sense.

with that said like I said earlier I am not arguing his points because as of right now their valid.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
It's subjective, on who are the top 5, i'm taking KOBE AND shaq, over bird and Wilt.But to just dismiss Kobe and Shaq, like there not even in the discussion is crazy.

These comments show a clear lack of understanding of the history of the game. How old are you?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Phil's right until proven wrong. It took the absence of one or both of our MAX players to get wins this year. It took a coaching change to inspire the drive of Anthony and Stoudemire, Chandler the only high earning individual that played inspired ball of their own accord.

I don't believe Dolan was ever truly committed to signing Jackson as HC, as he'd be overshadowed by his status and would be belittled by his intelligence. And what coach in their right mind would work for an interfering prick the likes of Dolan? We're talking about a man whose dedication to basketball apparently has nothing to do with basketball itself.

100% Dolan fears Jackson, who has often used the media to call out individuals for the sake of winning. Dolan is not about winning, and Jackson, IMO, never wanted to come here in the first place because of that.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Regarding the Shaq, Wilt, Kobe, Bird argument, it's a tough call.

Bill Russell, I don't think, would have had anywhere near the impact in the modern game that he did in Boston's amazing run under Auerbach. The guy was 6'9 - 220 and lithe. I'm pretty sure that's on par with Caron Butler in terms of size. If he were to play the modern game from a young age, he'd undoubtedly be a lot heavier muscle wise, but you have to also take in to account the level of competition he was against at the time in comparison to what he'd be against in the present ~ including the 90s version of the modern game. But, if you were to inject Amar'e Stoudemire in to the past's way against its competition, I think he'd have Wilt like numbers.

The evolution of the game as well as the players (and their regimes) makes it basically impossible to know.

SHAQ V Wilt.

If there were any player of the distant past that'd still make an impact in today's game, it's Chamberlain. But, in terms of size and skill, he was lightyears ahead of his time. His competition was nothing compared to Shaq's. He was 7'1 - 275. He was playing against modern day sized small forwards a lot of the time. One of those SF sized players, Bill Russell, got the better of him on a number of occasions, and Wilt came away with 1 title for all his individual accomplishments.

SHAQ would have easily had equivalent numbers to Wilt's back in the day, perhaps even eclipsed them.

But Wilt would still be a starting center, probably an All Star in the league today. Can't really gauge anything beyond that, but 7'1 - 275 is 7'1 - 275.

The question here isn't about who'd dominate who, because it's like pitting a Spitfire against a Harrier: different eras of dominance against different counterparts.

The same goes for Larry Bird, who was brilliant in an era that had far less competent and physically gifted players.

You can't gauge it.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
Hahaha, oh man.

I remember back in, what was it, March? telling guys that Phil Jackson wouldn't touch this roster with his big ten-foot shlong.

But you had the fans that thought Phil Jackson could come in, work some magic, make Melo into Jordan.

The trouble is that, and as everyone with eyeballs can see, Melo and the Knicks in general just plain suck.

We have Tony Campbell on our hands here. Phil Jackson is not coming back to coach Tony Campbell.

+100000
sad but true.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
I don't think anyone ever said that Phil would make Melo into Jordan. If so, that's completely ridiculous. But Phil is good at managing egos and he certainly managed Kobe and MJ's pretty well so Melo probably wouldn't be.

With that being said, just because he snubbed the Knicks doesn't take away from the fact that he is a hall of fame coach. There are plenty of other great teams with talent that didn't win championships every year. Hell, we had a star studded cast in the 90s and the Bulls still beat us every time when Jordan was on the team. You don't get 11 championships by just talent alone.

What he said was uncalled for and a low blow but it doesn't take away from his greatness as an NBA coach.

meh...sounds like a sour puss to me. From what I've heard and read... Dolan and the rest of the brass didn't really want him because they were concerned with his age and health issues. Funny how you hear this now after we already inked Woody. I still think he's a bit over rated. Without Jordan and Kobe he would probably still be ringless. He'll get my respect once he's able to get a chip without the most dominating players in the game on his team.

fender0577

Rotation player
These comments show a clear lack of understanding of the history of the game. How old are you?
How old am i?Smh, if you ask 100 people who are the 5 greatest ballers ever, you'll get about 85 different answers, that's called subjective my friend, you have your opinion i have mine, why try insulting me because my opinon differs from yours. How old are you?

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
meh...sounds like a sour puss to me. From what I've heard and read... Dolan and the rest of the brass didn't really want him because they were concerned with his age and health issues. Funny how you hear this now after we already inked Woody. I still think he's a bit over rated. Without Jordan and Kobe he would probably still be ringless. He'll get my respect once he's able to get a chip without the most dominating players in the game on his team.

But u can say that about any team that's won a championship. The Rockets wouldn't have a ring without Olajuwon. Popovich wouldn't have rings without Duncan. Mavericks wouldn't have a ring without Dirk. Do they not deserve rings bc they had a dominant player on their team?

CoolClyde

Crazy⑧s;237980 said:
Phil's right until proven wrong. It took the absence of one or both of our MAX players to get wins this year. It took a coaching change to inspire the drive of Anthony and Stoudemire, Chandler the only high earning individual that played inspired ball of their own accord.

I don't believe Dolan was ever truly committed to signing Jackson as HC, as he'd be overshadowed by his status and would be belittled by his intelligence. And what coach in their right mind would work for an interfering prick the likes of Dolan? We're talking about a man whose dedication to basketball apparently has nothing to do with basketball itself.

100% Dolan fears Jackson, who has often used the media to call out individuals for the sake of winning. Dolan is not about winning, and Jackson, IMO, never wanted to come here in the first place because of that.

BELIEVE!:aplause: