I feel like crying

metrocard

Legend
It's becoming the worst season of all time and I don't even think we've seen the worse yet. We could def use Chandler, but I just think the attitude of this team is depressed and not energized. I can't be mad because the depression is strong. Its tough to be a Knicks fan.

petescud

Starter
I think Shump and THJr are worrying about being moved for either Lowry or another guard, so their games are not there....We're bruised, beat up and tired by the 5:00 mark of the 4th....Guys had rebounds snatched from their hands, poor D, all signs of burn out

Unless you're in your 80s or older, no reason to get too upset just yet. Until we make a stupid trade that forces us to take on bad long term salaries, we still have the horizon of complete salary cap freedom in a year and a half.

tiger0330

Legend
Unless you're in your 80s or older, no reason to get too upset just yet. Until we make a stupid trade that forces us to take on bad long term salaries, we still have the horizon of complete salary cap freedom in a year and a half.
That cap space doesn't mean crap. They had the same cap space and signed Amare and Melo and look where we are, gave away too much to sign Melo and Amare was an accident waiting to happen with his injury history. While Melo has tried I've seen enough enough end of game performances by him to know that I wouldn't sign him to a max deal, paying him 25m when he's 33-35 is insane. Let's see where this team is when TC gets back, if we're playing under .500 ball in games when he returns I would look to deal Melo to rebuild for the future.

That cap space doesn't mean crap. They had the same cap space and signed Amare and Melo and look where we are, gave away too much to sign Melo and Amare was an accident waiting to happen with his injury history. While Melo has tried I've seen enough enough end of game performances by him to know that I wouldn't sign him to a max deal, paying him 25m when he's 33-35 is insane. Let's see where this team is when TC gets back, if we're playing under .500 ball in games when he returns I would look to deal Melo to rebuild for the future.

Oh, no, I'm not advocating re-signing Melo to a long-term deal at the end of the year at all. I'm talking about how in two offseasons Stat, Bargs, and Chandler all come off the books and take $49 million with them. My point was that we can have a fresh start as a franchise in a year and a half if everything plays out the right way. New coach and new players hopefully assembled that fit together and fit the coach and none of them need to be superstar names. If Melo isn't part of that future, so be it.

For what it's worth, if we had waited to sign Melo instead of trading for him, I think our last go round of salary cap space would have worked out fine (Melo and Stat added over the course of two offseasons to an existing core of Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Mozgov, etc.). We wouldn't have been world beaters, but we would have been a fun team to watch and we wouldn't have lost those 1st round picks. Regardless, that's all ancient history at this point.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
We will have cap space an a draft pick in 2015 even I we sign Melo long term. I am nonetheless an advocate of trading Melo instead of signing him to a max contract. But Melo can opt out at the end of this year. What team will give up value to rent him for a year? I think we will inevitably sign him long term. Perhaps he would accept from the Knicks what another team could give him in free agency --4 years for total of $96M rather than 5 years for a total of $129M.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
But he can only get that if he stays with the Knicks the entire year. If he leaves NY then whatever team gets him has his Bird rights and can sign him to a bigger contract.