Fantastic Breakdown of Amare's Struggles So Far - Only Open Minded People Need Read

KBlack25

Starter
For those of you not reading Grantland.com, get your shit together.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7424062/amare-stoudemire-early-season-struggles

I took some highlights out:

Stoudemire is taking fewer shots at the rim, fewer shots from three to nine feet, and fewer shots from 10 to 15 feet this season. Instead, he's attempting a large number of "long 2s" ? shots between 16 and 23 feet. He's shooting 63.6 percent at the rim through his first three games, and 26 percent on long 2s.

Things were different last year. With Stoudemire at center, there was no other big man who needed to be in or around the paint. This opened up the middle for Stoudemire. On this possession, the Knicks' power forward and his defender are at the top of the key, which means there is no help defender in the paint. Stoudemire reads this, attacks the lane, and finishes at the rim.

Video from this season also shows that the Knicks could be using him better. In the three games Stoudemire has played, he has been involved in just one pick and roll as the screener. It's almost impossible to comprehend why a player who made a living as Steve Nash's pick-and-roll partner in Phoenix and who found similar ball-screen chemistry with Raymond Felton last year would be involved in just one pick and roll so far this season. For Stoudemire, the play is particularly effective because slipping and rolling after ball screens gets him moving to the rim, where he's all but unstoppable.

If the Knicks want Stoudemire to play closer to the basket, they need to make some changes. For starters, they should give Stoudemire the backup center minutes while Chandler is on the bench. One reason why Stoudemire posted a PER of 22.79 and scored 25.3 points per game last season is that he often matched up against centers who were slower and less athletic than him. Last year, many analysts focused on how the Knicks' lack of a true center made them a weak defensive team. Stoudemire's struggles so far this season are a reminder that the Knicks also benefited by playing small ball.

So far, the Knicks offense has looked disorganized and random, with players just floating around. Under these circumstances, Chandler naturally gravitates toward the rim, which clogs the lane and forces Stoudemire to rely on jumpers. To clear some space, the Knicks need to get more strategic about where Chandler and Stoudemire position themselves on offense. For example, when they want to isolate or post Stoudemire, they could position Chandler in the opposite corner, far enough away that his defender will have a long way to travel to help against Stoudemire's move. If that defender decides to help, Stoudemire will have a simple dump-off to a cutting Chandler. If he sticks with Chandler, Stoudemire has the space to take his man.

One final offensive scheme that might help the Knicks would be to run pick and rolls with Anthony and Stoudemire. Other teams with pairs of dynamic scorers, like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade in Miami or Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City, have tried using their stars together in ball-screen situations, and have been very successful.

The fact that the Knicks haven't been running this play at least five times a game is mind-blowing. Anthony isn't the most willing passer, but putting him in situations that create wide-open passing lanes and easy scoring opportunities will invite him to share the ball. If teams focus on stopping Stoudemire's roll, Anthony can look for his shot off the screen.

If you get a chance - read the article, there's lots of good video and pictures on there that really break down our struggles from an offensive scheme stance. Pruiti is one of the best up-and-coming NBA Analysts (his Rubio article from a few days ago is BRILLIANT), and this is a fantastic breakdown of exactly why Amare is struggling and how we can get better doing it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
It is a good read, but I, and others, on here have been saying things similar to this for a while.

I mentioned some 3-4, 2-man game between Melo and STAT a while ago:

It is early, but what does that have to do with the same complaints that we've had about the offense from the past few seasons tho?

Pick any one of the plays where Melo iso'd, late in the game, while trailing, and explain why MDA's "offense" looked like it was our superstar vs the other team.

We had STAT and Melo on the court, why not run some 2-man game on one side of the court and create an easy pass for Melo to feed STAT in the post. Let Fields work off of the ball on the other side to be in a smart position to make a play if needed or get a 'bound. Let Landry be Landry.

Instead Melo is standing there, ball in hand, looking at his man, then teammates, then his man...and everyone is looking at him.

How about we have Landry set a back screen for STAT or Melo, Bibby with the ball looking to make the lob (why can't we get some lob city going?) and if the lob isn't there, who ever just dove down to the rim can seal off and boom, pass to Landry, make the entry pass, and go to work. BASKETBALL.

Instead, and I repeat....Melo is standing there, ball in hand, looking at his man, then teammates, then his man...and everyone is looking at him.

It is early, but that's why coaches have a board and some markers. As someone on here stated, MDA and staff need contingencies, there has to be coaching on the fly. Doesn't matter how early it is. Melo Iso'd a handful of times late in that game, was one failed attempt not enough? 2? 3? how about 4? When do we initiate plan B? Do we have a plan B? Can we draw one up? Wait, what? It's too early? No training camp? Are you 5 years old? How about setting a screen instead of just standing there you NBA PLAYER.

It's not like I just blood rage against MDA. Pruiti just happens to be published for a wider audience, but basketball is basketball.

I like the article tho, I'll definitely give him some more reads. Thanks for pointing him out.

quiggle

Starter
its a waste of time, observe all you want Renaissance Man is not going to change because whats the point, hes making his millions, basketball does not effect all the opportunities he gets like fashion and executive producing, 3.7 million mansion, he can just sit back and relax now while Melo gets the heat for losses, it is Melo's team right?

in best interest why should he go all out and possibly blow out his knee, he sees what sherbert is doing, in the end of the day he will be living with it and none of you Knicks fans or the organization matter to him.

KBlack25

Starter
It is a good read, but I, and others, on here have been saying things similar to this for a while.

I mentioned some 3-4, 2-man game between Melo and STAT a while ago:

It's not like I just blood rage against MDA. Pruiti just happens to be published for a wider audience, but basketball is basketball.

I like the article tho, I'll definitely give him some more reads. Thanks for pointing him out.

I mean yes, you point out one element of the changes he would make. It's pretty clear that's what should be happening. But others have gone on to criticize Stoudemire - when it is the way he is being used, not the player. There's a whole thread on this with people piling on the guy when the spacing just simply isn't there.

As I have said this year - the offense, not the defense, has been the big issue this year. Offense is supposed to be MDA's bread+butter - but it looks stagnant, causing STAT to settle for Js.

KBlack25

Starter
its a waste of time, observe all you want Renaissance Man is not going to change because whats the point, hes making his millions, basketball does not effect all the opportunities he gets like fashion and executive producing, 3.7 million mansion, he can just sit back and relax now while Melo gets the heat for losses, it is Melo's team right?

in best interest why should he go all out and possibly blow out his knee, he sees what sherbert is doing, in the end of the day he will be living with it and none of you Knicks fans or the organization matter to him.

You're right.

He didn't care when he was the emotional leader of this team for the first half of last season at all.

Edit: nuckles, these are the types of posts I reference above...

quiggle

Starter
You're right.

He didn't care when he was the emotional leader of this team for the first half of last season at all.

Edit: nuckles, these are the types of posts I reference above...

he did this to establish himself so yall dont get the impression that hes one of those players who busted balls contract season, signed big contract then in first season slacked off. Renaissance ego is too inflated to have his reputation look bad but like i said its his ego he needs to feed, and that ego does not include bringing a championship to you the KNicks fans. i dont make this stuff up, read his twitter and look at the thread I posted Glamour magazine, he brags about body fat % and strips naked for magazine covers and PETA, the prooff is in the pudding

Defensively, oh my god were the Knicks horrid. 62 first half points to Charlotte? 118 for the game? 55% shooting and 63% from three? Deplorable. Chief offender? Amar?e Stoudemire, who got absolutely abused by Boris Diaw.

The morbidly obese Diaw went over and around Stoudemire on numerous occasions on his way to 27 points on 12-15 shooting.

From a similar blog.

People need to stop acting like it's just those 6 games with Stoudemire, he's doing that for 90 games.....

He's basically a 6'10 version of Kevin Martin.

Kiyaman

Legend
We are mentioning Super Stars who change their game to co-exist with teammates

Its a great article that doesnt mention Stat's sturborness as a super-star PF who should follow the lead of 7.0 C-Tyson Chandler frontcourt position to co-exist to cover our weak inside presence on offense/defense.
Phoenix coach Gentry had Stat play both positions, but it was always Lopez or Frye rotating/switching on plays plus playing with their back to the basket....something Stat has been sturborn at doing in his role as a center for Phoenix.

Stat being able to play as our center is great, it gives us a change of game-plan (within a game) on oponents, where we could control the speed of transition, however we have to have the right rotating/switching PF in the lineup who will step up on defense to give us decent inbound-passes and defense-rebound lob-passes to start a fastbreak. It could be Jorts, or Balkman, or even Jordan, this could work well depending on how well SF-Melo performace co-exist with Stat at the center on offense/defense.