Knicks @ BKN: Nov 26th @ 7:00pm - The delayed showdown takes place at last.

+ Rep Poll: How many dimes will Melo have tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
You can't post stats from a bad game and not give credit on his good ones. He's been solid so far. Too much emotion right now.

I think Felton has been taking too much shots for like the past 4 games its just really catching up to him now, the Knicks whole style has been really unsustainable too many 3's, to much iso, not enough PnR, and the lack of Amare who's scoring down low is desperately needed imo even with his flaws.

mafra

Legend
BTW, I started to hate Novak, dude's not doing ****, misses his shots, doesn't know what to do while getting back on D... this is an L, we ****ing lost last 3 out of 4.

Judge season by blocks of 10 games. We went 8-2 in the first 1/8th. No we are 1-2. If we go 4-6 that does negate the good start... But we lost 2 games b/c Melo missed shots at end of regulation to win it. No panic yet.

mafra

Legend
I think Felton has been taking too much shots for like the past 4 games its just really catching up to him now, the Knicks whole style has been really unsustainable too many 3's, to much iso, not enough PnR, and the lack of Amare who's scoring down low is desperately needed imo even with his flaws.

Teams are daring Knicks to beat them by letting Chandler and Felton score. Triple Carmelo, get rebounds, don't let JR get into a groove or Novak a free look from behind the arc. Most of Felton's misses were wide open gimmes

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Judge season by blocks of 10 games. We went 8-2 in the first 1/8th. No we are 1-2. If we go 4-6 that does negate the good start... But we lost 2 games b/c Melo missed shots at end of regulation to win it. No panic yet.

Thats a good measure, but the Knicks style of play has been alarming they seem to be developing bad traits on offense that aren't condusive to winning.

But it's still mad early and this team isn't 100%

mafra

Legend
Word he insist on playing iso ball too much, of course you gotta run some iso with a player like melo but running that **** 100% is just asinine and bad coaching.

And Felton that was ridiculous why didnt Woodson pull him or just simply tel him you are a PG move the ball. I rarely get angry during Knicks games since their arent my main team but this game pissed me off, terrible pg play and coaching.

Where else could Woodson turn? Pablo sucks. Felton only PG we had tonight. Woody doesn't have a great bball offensive mind, that is evident. No imagination to final Play in the 4th tonight or in Dallas... But Carmelo has to make those clutch shots, especially if he's gonna miss 6 FREE throws.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Teams are daring Knicks to beat them by letting Chandler and Felton score. Triple Carmelo, get rebounds, don't let JR get into a groove or Novak a free look from behind the arc. Most of Felton's misses were wide open gimmes

I don't think Felton had good looks tonight to me it looked like he forced most of his shots. But you are correct about how teams are playing the Knicks but reverting back to iso ball is not the answer there was a few stretches during the game where the ball was being moved and they looked good but it was too little team ball.

mafra

Legend
Thats a good measure, but the Knicks style of play has been alarming they seem to be developing bad traits on offense that aren't condusive to winning.

But it's still mad early and this team isn't 100%

I agree. This is why NYK need Amare. All this nonsense about fitting or not is crazy. He is our only legit #2 scoring option. Even adding Shumpert will help balance our off attack. Right now all we have is ISP to melo, shoot 3, dunk Chandler. Defenses will continue to trike Carmelo, especially since he gets no calls (so get physical on him).

nyk_nyk

All Star
If Novak isn't making 45%+ on his 3s then he's useless. He gives it right back on defense. I'm surprised these guys were so lost on defense when it seemed like woody had them zoned in on defense this year. The player who had gone downhill the most defensively is Chandler.

finestrg

Rotation player
Biggest things tonight for me: Chandler's uneven performance; JR/Ray both having off-nights and no Sheed down the stretch

(1) I know Chandler had a good game offensively for a switch (and a lot of his FGs were off offensive put backs -- dude still have essentially ZERO offensive game to speak of), but Goddamn man, how many times do I gotta watch him BOTH (a) not challenge a shot at the rim and then (b) not go after the friggin' defensive rebound?? Dude just stands there, deer in headlights sometimes, on plays like that...Happened 5 times tonight at least...Not what you expect outta a defensive player of the year. Maybe I just expect too much outta this man --- I expect a guy that's just gonna play like an ANIMAL defensively and on the glass and he just doesn't play like that. He's a guy that brings it in sputs and unfortunately for us, he takes way too many plays off. Just gimme one or the other -- commit to blocking a shot (this guy's really not a good shot-blocker anyway) or go get that defensive rebound. Way too many times he gives neither on a particular play underneath. Unacceptable...And while we're on Chandler and rebounding -- ENOUGH with the ****ing backtaps -- GO GET THE REBOUND YOURSELF DAMMIT!!! I can't stand it. Complained about him doing it last year all the time. It's just lazy...Gimme the best rebounders you can think of -- Charles Oakley, Barkley, Rodman, Hakeem, even a guy like Reggie Evans -- did you ever see these guys constantly flailing away trying to backtap the ball to whoever all the time? Nope...Those guys were securing all those rebounds themselves...Sorry to rip this guy, he played well tonight, pluses even outweighed the negatives, but I just can't get past his deficiencies. Dude only had 3 defensive rebs. in over 45 mins! WHAT?!? Carmelo Anthony is a better rebounder than Tyson Chandler. I don't even think that's up for debate..

(2) Just one of those off nights for Smith I guess. Goddamn man -- he even shows up and has a passable game and we win this in regulation, probably by 7, 8 pts. or better. Gotta give Bogans and even Joe Johnson credit here. Bogans was good defensively all night (esp. on Melo) and even though Johnson didn't shoot well he didn't let it affect him on the other end -- he still played good D. With all his athleticism and talent, I just don't understand why JR doesn't take the ball to the basket more. Like Ray, Swish was totally out of sync tonight..Ray just didn't play with confidence tonight which surprised me because he generally gets up for the better PGs in the NBA, esp. Paul and D-Will. We would've been able to survive with either Ray or JR having an off night, one or the other, not both. Ray was caught in between all night -- trying to facilitate and also be a scorer. He was really out of sync with Chandler 90% of the night.

(3) I dunno man -- I think Chandler needed all the help he could've gotten down low tonight. KT played OK to open it, then never got back in...Camby looks like he's done -- either it's a conditioning issue with this guy and he'll round back into form or he's done. Have trouble believing that -- he averaged like 9 rebs and a blk and a half a game last yr in limited duty. Those are still above average #s -- impact #s -- but the way he's playing, esp. tonight, I just don't see a guy that can help us. This is undoubtedly what Woody sees too, hence the string of DNPs recently....Sheed played well tonight I thought -- he hit a couple of 3s, got his shots off at will (from deep & in the post), and he made a difference defensively and on the glass...I thought it was a mistake to go away from him and bury him toward the end of regulation and for the whole OT. Just my 2 cents. When we went up by 5 or 6 for our biggest lead at one point in the 2nd half, Sheed was a big reason why..The lineup we should've milked, esp. at the end, should've been Tyson 5, Sheed 4 and Melo back at the 3. I would've played Sheed over Novak at the end myself.

Last edited:

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Where else could Woodson turn? Pablo sucks. Felton only PG we had tonight. Woody doesn't have a great bball offensive mind, that is evident. No imagination to final Play in the 4th tonight or in Dallas... But Carmelo has to make those clutch shots, especially if he's gonna miss 6 FREE throws.

Pablo wasnt giving the Knicks anything but he wasn't hurting them either like Felton, I wouldn't normally advise playing Pablo in crunch time in a game like this but Felton was playing extremely bad in my eyes idk if I'm over exagerating but to me it looked like Felton was kiling them out there. And I know they could have won if Melo had only made his FT's and the game winner but it shouldn't have gotten to that point.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree. This is why NYK need Amare. All this nonsense about fitting or not is crazy. He is our only legit #2 scoring option. Even adding Shumpert will help balance our off attack. Right now all we have is ISP to melo, shoot 3, dunk Chandler. Defenses will continue to trike Carmelo, especially since he gets no calls (so get physical on him).

Even with Amare the offense will go through lapses. The difference is there's just more options. I remember last season when Amare wouldn't even post up or call for the ball. He'd just stand around.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player

I said this earlier as well they need Amare desperately Melo is asked to do way too much, and you pretty much summed up the Knicks current offense which is sad since in the 1st few games the ball and player movement was so good, I understand teams adjust by why the drastic regression back to iso ball.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Why doesnt Melo shoot the last shot with 3 or 2 seconds left? Why does he even give them a chance?

Why not start Sheed over Kurt Thomas even though he had a nice block.
Where were these guys later in the game?
Camby??

We missed kid tonight.

I really cant wait till Amare comes back!!!

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I'm tired of seeing the Knicks switch so much on D.

I mean, I remember in the Detroit game - you could literally hear Bynum saying "with ya slow ass" to Sheed after he switched on him and let Bynum get right to the cup, and fouled him.

Even tho it might not have directly led to the loss tonight...I'm still tired of seeing it so much. I saw enough switching with MDA, but I remember reading an article a while back where a player said that Woodson's defense was predictable because "they switch everything."

Scheme.

Do what Tom Thibs does and load the strong side. Just bring an extra defender to the ball side, force dribblers to the baseline, and invite cross court passes giving your D a chance to adjust, or even forcing a turnover.

A combo of that, plus the occasional straight up man to man, and even...dare I say it...switch the PnR when it's beneficial, and we're good.

But I seriously can't take watching Tyson or Sheed on a quick PG anymore. It's not 1975, these PGs are ****ing quick and fast, there is no benefit to putting your big on a CP3, Deron, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Thomas, Lawson, Goran the god damn "Dragon" Dragic, etc.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
this is why people are crazy saying we don't need Amare. The last few games showed that. There's no reliable second option behind Melo. Just a bunch of streak shooters.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
this is why people are crazy saying we don't need Amare. The last few games showed that. There's no reliable second option behind Melo. Just a bunch of streak shooters.

I dissagree with a bunch of streaky shooter remark.The only reason they are streaky right now is b/c theres no ball movement at all.When we started 6-0 EVERYBODY was making shots and nobody was streaky why? b/c they was moving the ball all around the court until they found the wide open shot.too much one on one right now and thats the main reason we are loosing games.

Kiyaman

Legend
I will admit .. it was nice to watch the Lopez vs Tyson 2nd half offense show ....

Our to many ISO-plays in our past 6 games got us playing lame .. no one screening for our shooter Novak .. We have to go back to Jason Kidd's system of looking for the open moving-man .. JR and JJ shootin was off tonite, that didnt stop JJ from feeding Lopez, Stackhouse, Wallace, and Deron for baskets .. JR took the night off after his best performance vs Pistons ....
The piece in the first half showing Felton complaining to Melo about no one is moving fast for his passes so he is force to shoot, was Felton way of telling Melo he was taking the greenlight vs Deron Williams in the 2nd half. LOL

The LA Clippers was nuts not to resign Reggie Evans after his strong postseason performance .. the Nets sign Reggie Evans for $5.5M for three years .. did someone say cheap winning backup.