Could this Knicks team be as good as the 2010-11 Dallas Mavericks?

knicksin60

Starter
Jose Barea G = Raymond Felton
Rodrique Beaubois G < Pablo Prigioni
Corey Brewer, Brian Cardinal F > Chris Copeland
Tyson Chandler C = Tyson Chandler
Brendan Haywood C < Marcus Camby
Jason Kidd G = Jason Kidd
Alex Ajinca, Ian Mahinmi C = Kurt Thomas
Caron Butler,Shawn Marion F < Carmelo Anthony
Steve Novak F = Steve Novak
Dirk Nowitzki F > Amar'e Stoudemire
Sasha Pavlovic G-F > James White
DeShawn Stevenson, Domique Jones-G< Iman Shumpert, Chris Smith
Peja Stojakovic F-G < Ronnie Brewer
Jason Terry- G > JR Smith

There is no question that our roster is just as good as Dallas' roster was a couple seasons ago. But the questions are can this Knicks team stop Miami the way that Dallas did in the finals given that Miami is coming off a championship season and has a much better roster than they did when they lost to Dallas?

Can Mike Woodson teach this Knicks team how to play zone defense with a full season of training camp?

Can Amar'e be near the impactful player that he was before Melo became a Knick?

Can Melo play at a level of a Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant on both ends of the floor?

Can Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton find a way to solve the problem of Melo and Amar'e not being a good fit on offense?

How much do aging players like Jason Kidd, Marcus Camby, and Kurt Thomas have left in their tank?

If the answer becomes yes to most of these questions I really believe that the Knicks have at least a 40 percent chance of pulling off an upset against Miami in the playoffs.But a lot of things have to fall the Knicks' way in order for that to take place.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
Not that I wish injury upon anyone but if one of the big three go down with a majoy injury for Miami I don't see how it is possible for the Knicks not to win a title.

On paper we are just as good as anybody. It's all about gelling and going hard on both sides of the court. All signs point to Melo having a career season, he's playing phenomenal for team USA, he's in great shape, and he has to be tired of all the ish that's been said about him. I honestly see Amare coming back this season with a chip on his shoulder, especially now that he will be reunited with Felton and will have a future HOF PG in Kidd. It's kind of crazy how just a year ago our backcourt was Toney Douglas/Mike Bibby. We also have the reigning DPOY as our center and a former two-time DPOY backing him up. Also don't forget about JR Smith, he has the potential to be that sixth man off the bench that can put up points in a hurry, I can really see him being our version of Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford. I believe that this team can get it done. :gony:

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
On paper we are just as good as anybody. It's all about gelling and going hard on both sides of the court. All signs point to Melo having a career season, he's playing phenomenal for team USA, he's in great shape, and he has to be tired of all the ish that's been said about him. I honestly see Amare coming back this season with a chip on his shoulder, especially now that he will be reunited with Felton and will have a future HOF PG that has a lot of playoff experience. It's kind of crazy how just a year ago our starting PG was Toney Douglas :barf:. We also have the reigning DPOY as our center and a former two-time DPOY backing him up. Plus don't forget JR Smith, he has the potential to be that sixth man off the bench that can put up points in a hurry, I can really see him being our version of Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford. I believe that this team can get it done. :gony:

It's funny that you say phenomenal and have an Amare avatar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't just plug names in and use an equal sign. Jason Kidd (Knicks) < Jason Kidd (Dallas) He's 2 years older, and his performance has declined so that he doesn't expect to play starter's minutes any more. And the biggest question mark is the Melo/Stat/Chandler offensive dynamic that hasn't really worked well together due to spacing issues. Maybe a training camp and a season vet PG's insight from Kidd can fix it. If not, we'll end up with the same problem we've had that the three of them end up clogging the paint because they like to score in similar areas on the floor close to the basket. And Novak's role on the Mavs wasn't quite as recognized as his breakout on the Knicks, so the defensive coverage he commands will be different. You can't just plug in names and say people will play the same on both teams. Too many question marks and chemistry issues that need to be resolved.

It's funny that you say phenomenal and have an Amare avatar!

Hey if scoring 37 points in 14 minutes isn't phenomenal then I don't know what is. And who cares about who I have on my avatar? I'm a Knicks fan not an Amare fan.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Jose Barea G = Raymond Felton
Rodrique Beaubois G < Pablo Prigioni
Corey Brewer, Brian Cardinal F > Chris Copeland
Tyson Chandler C = Tyson Chandler
Brendan Haywood C < Marcus Camby
Jason Kidd G = Jason Kidd
Alex Ajinca, Ian Mahinmi C = Kurt Thomas
Caron Butler,Shawn Marion F < Carmelo Anthony
Steve Novak F = Steve Novak
Dirk Nowitzki F > Amar'e Stoudemire
Sasha Pavlovic G-F > James White
DeShawn Stevenson, Domique Jones-G< Iman Shumpert, Chris Smith
Peja Stojakovic F-G < Ronnie Brewer
Jason Terry- G > JR Smith

There is no question that our roster is just as good as Dallas' roster was a couple seasons ago. But the questions are can this Knicks team stop Miami the way that Dallas did in the finals given that Miami is coming off a championship season and has a much better roster than they did when they lost to Dallas?

Can Mike Woodson teach this Knicks team how to play zone defense with a full season of training camp?

Can Amar'e be near the impactful player that he was before Melo became a Knick?

Can Melo play at a level of a Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant on both ends of the floor?

Can Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton find a way to solve the problem of Melo and Amar'e not being a good fit on offense?

How much do aging players like Jason Kidd, Marcus Camby, and Kurt Thomas have left in their tank?

If the answer becomes yes to most of these questions I really believe that the Knicks have at least a 40 percent chance of pulling off an upset against Miami in the playoffs.But a lot of things have to fall the Knicks' way in order for that to take place.

Steve Novak did not last the season, he was gone within the first month. he finished off the season with the Spurs.

I think as a team, it's better because there's more support around the designated #1 option. Melo has Amare as the #2, while Dirk had Jet, Jet is more like JR with the Knicks. So offensively if the Knicks play their cards right, Melo should have stronger legs come crunch time in the 4th than Dirk did. Rotation wise, Brewer should be match with Deshawn and that alone, I think the Knicks have the edge there, as Deshawn played 12-14 minutes, while Brewer has more game to get more time. I think the key to this comparison is Kidd, can he duplicate what he brought for the Mavs that season in fewer minutes?

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
Hey if scoring 37 points in 14 minutes isn't phenomenal then I don't know what is. And who cares about who I have on my avatar? I'm a Knicks fan not an Amare fan.

I wasn't trying to insult you btw. I just thought it was funny.

Knicks4Life_1985

&#9733;The Floor General&#9733;
Wake me up when

1- We beat the Bucks & Cavs 2 times in a Row

2- We Advance out the first round

You can add not losing to the Bobcats also lol.... I am ready just like all of us for the season to start. I hope the players are as hungry as us in the forum, we have the best fans in the league!:gony::gony::gony:

You're comparing apples to bananas bro.

Marion is a much better defender than Melo.

Stojakovic is a much much better shooter than Ronnie Brewer.

Barea is a totally different player than Felton.

You can't really say "he is better than him overall so that team is better than this one".

That's not how it works, maybe in fantasy basketball but not in real life.

Of course Melo is a better overall player than Marion, but when it comes to defensive stability, work ethic and chemistry Marion did a better job for Dallas than Melo did for NYK so far.

This is just one example, could do another one in the opposite direction too: Peja brought some great experience and outside shooting to Dallas, while Ronnie Brewer is a much much better defender, but is very inexperienced compared to Peja and a horrible shooter.

Every player has his pros and cons, what counts in the end is chemistry and the whole composition of the roster.

I think Dallas had more depth, more experience and better harmony in 2011.

A guy like Grant Hill or even Ray Allen would have been a great addition to the Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
I like Mike Woodson .. but Woody coaching level is far from being as creative as Rick Carlisle.... matching players skills are only 30% .. getting teammates to GELL above some of the best gellin oponents are 70% of the reason the Dallas Mavs has a Championship Trophy.

Quote: from ex-Knicks coach Pat Riley 70-30 per-cent of the 7 game finals of Kincks vs Rockets....complimenting Houston Rockets coach Tom

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I like Mike Woodson .. but Woody coaching level is far from being as creative as Rick Carlisle.... matching players skills are only 30% .. getting teammates to GELL above some of the best gellin oponents are 70% of the reason the Dallas Mavs has a Championship Trophy.

Quote: from ex-Knicks coach Pat Riley 70-30 per-cent of the 7 game finals of Kincks vs Rockets....complimenting Houston Rockets coach Tom

Agreed. There's no doubt in my mind that Carlisle is a better coach. The difference between next season's team and that championship Mavs team (on paper at least) is that our team will be better defensively.

With our defensive prowess carrying the heavy load, the idea seems to be to kill the opposing team's offensive flow and get timely buckets at the other end from Melo/STAT.

KingCharles34

All Star
We're better then that Mavericks team, undeniably

They only won the championship because they got lucky every round they were in

Blazers woulda won if Roy wasnt hurt

Lakers woulda won if Kobe wasnt hurt

Thunder just needed a little more experience

Lebron had not yet learned how to not choke

That Mavs team is Overrated, I dont even consider them real champions. In my mind there was no NBA championship team in 2011

jafet6

Benchwarmer

That Mavs team is Overrated, I dont even consider them real champions. In my mind there was no NBA championship team in 2011

and in 2012 you think there was a champion?

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer

Overrated? No one expected this team to do anything in the playoffs. They were everyone's favorite to lose in the first round. Kobe was not hurt, Kobe put up 36 on 29 shots in Game 1. It was about team defense and Dirk Nowitzki in crunch time, getting the rock in scoring position every time down. Everyone who has won a championshp has earned their ring. 16 playoff W's are not easy. Isiah won his first ring despite Magic, Byron and Cooper being out with hamstring injuries. Hakeem got 2 despite MJ running from gambling rumors. All right lets even things out a bit, Mavs lose starting small forward Caron Butler for the season in January......