Knicks will "Utilize post"

Paul1355

All Star
From ESPN.com: Woodson also told Lin to "continue to initiate the offense, be aggressive. He?s said there?s going to be a lot of spacing and still the opportunity to play pick-and-roll. But at the same time we?re going to utilize the post as well."

Under new coach Mike Woodson we will not only keep pick and roll basketball but utilize the post more on offense. One knock on Dantoni was that he would always have Melo and Amare too far away from the hoop because he wanted to space the floor for the pick and roll with Lin and Chandler.

Now Woodson will focus on giving the ball to Amare and Melo down low in the post. For everyone here who watches every game like I have, you know by now that if Melo and Amare simply got the basketball a little closer to the hoop, instead of having to create from 20 feet out, their efficiency would go way up.

When Melo or Amare gets the ball in the low post, they are basically unstoppable and have to get fouled. FOr some reason, Mike D never took advantage of this and instead focused to much on floor spacing when he should have focused more on low post offense since our players are good at it! ANother knock on Mike D was that he tried to have his players convert to his system too much when he should be have just used his players strengths.

Woodson sees that the strength of Melo and Amare is getting the ball down low and drawing fouls. This will give them a boost in confidence knowing that they can get the ball down low and either get fouled or make the shot.

Amare has sturggled this year because he focused too much on his outside shot, since MIke D stressed outside shooting, and Amare stopped attacking the basket and creating in the post, same with Melo.

Now we can see a different type of offense, more for the half court sets, which win basketball game. And we can truly see how Melo and Amare will be a force in the paint.

We should also see type of offense that rebounds more on the offensive glass since we will have more post play. Melo usually gets his own offensive rebounds and get the put back and CHandler will always be around going for it, dont exlcude Jeffries either.

We are finally going to have higher percentage shots.
We should draw more fouls
We should have Melo and AMare FG% go way up
Our offensive rebounding numbers will go up
Our second chance points will go up and these can win you games(remember us giving up 24 2nd chance points to the Bulls even though they shot 42%?)

Woodson is more old school, in my opinion, than Mike D and that is the kind of coach we need.

I am optimistic.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I already like Woodson because of was he is doing/ Having said that, it doesn`t take a genius to figure out that using players in the post and either getting fouled or making their shots closer to the basket is better than Dumbphoney`s stupid clear out and shoot rubbish.

With the players that we have, if Woodson gets it right then we should be in for a great finish to the season.

My optimism is on the rise again, let`s just hope that that optimism is justified and not dashed on the rocks of despair because the Knicks still stink in a few games time.

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
I agree man!!!... Will be good to see a different style of play which should be a drastic improvement!! If we win the enxt two against the pacers, this would be a good confidense booster!

tiger0330

Legend
I also hope he gets the guys straight on taking 3s. I remember seeing a D'Antoni pre-game speech when we played the Nets, telling the team they take the most 3s in the league and to be ready to defend it.

Woodson should do likewise and set the guys straight "Look we're 28th in shooting the 3, so lets not get trigger happy despite what we did against Portland".

unloopme

Benchwarmer
As long as we see more defensive resolve and hustle, and it all translates in to W's...I'm all for it.

From ESPN.com: Woodson also told Lin to "continue to initiate the offense, be aggressive. He?s said there?s going to be a lot of spacing and still the opportunity to play pick-and-roll. But at the same time we?re going to utilize the post as well."

Under new coach Mike Woodson we will not only keep pick and roll basketball but utilize the post more on offense. One knock on Dantoni was that he would always have Melo and Amare too far away from the hoop because he wanted to space the floor for the pick and roll with Lin and Chandler.

Now Woodson will focus on giving the ball to Amare and Melo down low in the post. For everyone here who watches every game like I have, you know by now that if Melo and Amare simply got the basketball a little closer to the hoop, instead of having to create from 20 feet out, their efficiency would go way up.

When Melo or Amare gets the ball in the low post, they are basically unstoppable and have to get fouled. FOr some reason, Mike D never took advantage of this and instead focused to much on floor spacing when he should have focused more on low post offense since our players are good at it! ANother knock on Mike D was that he tried to have his players convert to his system too much when he should be have just used his players strengths.

Woodson sees that the strength of Melo and Amare is getting the ball down low and drawing fouls. This will give them a boost in confidence knowing that they can get the ball down low and either get fouled or make the shot.

Amare has sturggled this year because he focused too much on his outside shot, since MIke D stressed outside shooting, and Amare stopped attacking the basket and creating in the post, same with Melo.

Now we can see a different type of offense, more for the half court sets, which win basketball game. And we can truly see how Melo and Amare will be a force in the paint.

We should also see type of offense that rebounds more on the offensive glass since we will have more post play. Melo usually gets his own offensive rebounds and get the put back and CHandler will always be around going for it, dont exlcude Jeffries either.

We are finally going to have higher percentage shots.
We should draw more fouls
We should have Melo and AMare FG% go way up
Our offensive rebounding numbers will go up
Our second chance points will go up and these can win you games(remember us giving up 24 2nd chance points to the Bulls even though they shot 42%?)

Woodson is more old school, in my opinion, than Mike D and that is the kind of coach we need.

I am optimistic.

I've been harping on us having no post play since I joined the board. It's a crime against basketball not to look for easier high % shots. This has a been a staple of basketball since its invention.

I'm really interested in seeing if STAT can function in the post. Plenty of fans say he has no post up game at all. Which I truly find unbelievable. He can still catch the ball 8ft away, turn and face up.

We'll soon find out...

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Other than Melo, Knicks really don't have a low post player. Stat never had any post moves. He is not a back to the basket player.

But I love inside-out offensive sets. However, does Melo really pass out of the post well? From what I've seen in the past, that's not really the case. He is not big enough to see over double team. We'll know more after tonight's game.

tiger0330

Legend

I've been harping on us having no post play since I joined the board. It's a crime against basketball not to look for easier high % shots. This has a been a staple of basketball since its invention.

I'm really interested in seeing if STAT can function in the post. Plenty of fans say he has no post up game at all. Which I truly find unbelievable. He can still catch the ball 8ft away, turn and face up.

We'll soon find out...
He has no back to the basket game for sure but I remember him taking that turnaround jumper close to the basket when he was with the Suns and that was under D'Antoni. I can't remember him taking too many of those this season for some reason.

One thing you guys aren't talking about is how this will effect the other players on our team. More isolation's for JR Smith, Davis, Lin and Shumpert.
JR will basically play like he did in Denver which is good for the most part and Woodson will know when to bench him if he gets to trigger happy. Baron Davis can go back to 04 with this system and we can see what Lin can do One on One against other point guards and now Shumpert can act like Westbrook and use his athleticism to blow by defenders off the dribble.

He has no back to the basket game for sure but I remember him taking that turnaround jumper close to the basket when he was with the Suns and that was under D'Antoni. I can't remember him taking too many of those this season for some reason.

Do we know this "for sure"? I've never seen us go to him in the post on a regular? heck I've maybe only seen it 5-6 times since he came to the Knicks.

That's why I'm very interested in seeing how this develops...

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Stat doesn't overpower opposing players. He outquicks them. That's why he was so effective playing center position. Most centers can't keep up with him.

As for his post moves, I can't recall many of them. IMO, it'd be too late for Stat to develop a post game at this stage of his career.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Stat doesn't overpower opposing players. He outquicks them. That's why he was so effective playing center position. Most centers can't keep up with him.

As for his post moves, I can't recall many of them. IMO, it'd be too late for Stat to develop a post game at this stage of his career.

I don't think it's too late I just think it would take too much time and you wouldn't see him really be consistently effective with his back to the basket in the low post till like mid next year.

It's not like there's a time table on when you can learn post moves he's just gotta get used to the feel of having his back to his defender and develop good footwork and pump fakes. I'm hoping he visits Hakeem over the Summer but as for this year I expect him to be pretty clumsy down low and just do turn around jumpers and fast drop steps or baby hooks nothing to serious.

elcol

Rotation player
STAT never uses traditional post moves, when he gets the ball in the post, he immediately faces up in a triple threat. that is really his only post move

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
I don't think it's too late I just think it would take too much time and you wouldn't see him really be consistently effective with his back to the basket in the low post till like mid next year.

It's not like there's a time table on when you can learn post moves he's just gotta get used to the feel of having his back to his defender and develop good footwork and pump fakes. I'm hoping he visits Hakeem over the Summer but as for this year I expect him to be pretty clumsy down low and just do turn around jumpers and fast drop steps or baby hooks nothing to serious.

If Stat can be 1/10th of the player Hakeem was, he'd beast over all the PFs today. Realistically, even with hard work, Stat will not have the footwork needed to be an elite low post player.

Why can't we just leave Stat alone? He was a great offensive player when he was in Phoenix. Wasn't that the reason Knicks gave him this ridiculous contract?

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
If Stat can be 1/10th of the player Hakeem was, he'd beast over all the PFs today. Realistically, even with hard work, Stat will not have the footwork needed to be an elite low post player.

Why can't we just leave Stat alone? He was a great offensive player when he was in Phoenix. Wasn't that the reason Knicks gave him this ridiculous contract?

He just has to be a reliable post player and with hard work he can get there.

Wargames

Starter
Honestly Amare getting a back to the hoop post game would be great. It would make him a complete offensive threat and likely extend his career. You have no idea how excited I was to see tyson try a post move a few days ago.

tiger0330

Legend

Playing Center, that's why I saw that turnaround jumper more when he was in Phoenix. He play's PF now so he plays more away from the basket on the wing.